• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Portal |OT| From WC with Love

FrankWza

It's incredible to think that I have no idea which I'll be able to buy first.......the case or the Portal. :rolleyes:

Definitely a good case if you can get it on Amazon for the $44.99 price or better. The amfilm glass is good and the switch analog grips add some height and protection.
Manifest your Portal appearance by buying the accessories first. :messenger_winking:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Amazon is having drops every 10 minutes and I can't get one! :mad:

They sold 1,000 within the last 90 minutes. The bots are just too fast.

Amazon is having drops every 10 minutes and I can't get one! :mad:

They sold 1,000 within the last 90 minutes. The bots are just too fast.
I got in earlier but it won't get delivered until Dec 20-22 unfortunately.

I use the hot stock app and paid the extra for auto buy but it didn't work and I had to do it manually through the amazon app. Now if I can only get my hands on the Pulse Explores.

mckmas8808

I got in earlier but it won't get delivered until Dec 20-22 unfortunately.

I use the hot stock app and paid the extra for auto buy but it didn't work and I had to do it manually through the amazon app. Now if I can only get my hands on the Pulse Explores.

If I can't get one by this Friday, I may have to stoop down and get one on Stock X. The average price is $305.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Got the pulse explore headphones
This thing is fucking shit.

Will return it

Last edited:
Out of interest, what sort of wifi setup are people using that gets this to work without slightly stuttering frames/audio every minute or so?

I have around 70 mbps, with the PS5 not wired to the router and I have the stuttering on remote play, even if I drop to 360P.

FrankWza

Out of interest, what sort of wifi setup are people using that gets this to work without slightly stuttering frames/audio every minute or so?

I have around 70 mbps, with the PS5 not wired to the router and I have the stuttering on remote play, even if I drop to 360P.
Start there

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member

-Good, 3rd party wi-fi 6 router
- Static IPs on every device in my home network
-make sure to separate the 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSIDs from within your router
-PS5 hardwired to the router - if you can't hardwire it, use the 5GHz channel
- connect the portal/tablet/Remote play device in use to the 5GHz SSID.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Got the pulse explore headphones
This thing is fucking shit.

Will return it
Get them to someone trying to find a pair. They're sold out everywhere and are selling for a premium. Someone will give you what you paid and be happy to since you didn't use them

mckmas8808

New update toggles HDR automatically

Tested in fifa, avatar, Alan wake, god of war and horizon.

Nice QOL feature.

Oh this is good. Love that they are pushing good QOL updates this fast.

- connect the portal/tablet/Rp play device in use to the 5GHz

What's the benefit of the bolded? I figured making the Portal have a static IP would be enough. But why go through the process of making all devices have static IPs? How does that help the Portal's performance?

Last edited:
- connect the portal/tablet/Rp play device in use to the 5GHz

Thanks - I have the 5ghz band switched off on my router, as the LG TV app does not like it and the PS5 is not hardwired - good to know there are options.

I would have to use power line plugs for the PS5 and have always found them temperamental (too far from the router to run a cable).

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Oh this is good. Love that they are pushing good QOL updates this fast.

What's the benefit of the bolded? I figured making the Portal have a static IP would be enough. But why go through the process of making all devices have static IPs? How does that help the Portal's performance?

Sometimes, when there's many devices on the same network, there's a chance that the router will try to assign (DHCP) the same IP to different devices aka IP conflict.

Putting a static IP helps with that 😉

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Get them to someone trying to find a pair. They're sold out everywhere and are selling for a premium. Someone will give you what you paid and be happy to since you didn't use them
Ah like the portal.
Shame too tho they sound great the form factor is just abysmal.

These things will drop in price like crazy

FrankWza

Ah like the portal.
Shame too tho they sound great the form factor is just abysmal.

These things will drop in price like crazy
You can make someone happy. There won't be a restock before Christmas because they're still trying to fulfill launch orders. They're selling for $300 so a retail price on slightly used will be a good deal for someone

Last edited:

Gambit2483

I was thinking about getting this as a Xmas gift to myself this year but I just can't deal with the hassle of shadow stock drops and scalpers. I'll just wait until Sony gets serious about supply and makes enough so that if I want one, I can get one.

Getting real tired of this tech scarcity BS. They can't keep blaming the pandemic for this crap.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

So, new stability update.

Did improve performance a lot. Especially noticeable in Pinball FX. It's playing really smooth now, very comparable to playing on tv.

MW3 also, plays pretty smooth. Some latency, I think, or maybe it's the 60fps vs 120hz on my tv.

Smite also plays smoothly.

Sony is doing a great job with the support so far.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I was thinking about getting this as a Xmas gift to myself this year but I just can't deal with the hassle of shadow stock drops and scalpers. I'll just wait until Sony gets serious about supply and makes enough so that if I want one, I can get one.

Getting real tired of this tech scarcity BS. They can't keep blaming the pandemic for this crap.
Same here. If I walk in a Walmart and there's one sitting on the shelf for $200, I'd buy it. I follow Wario64, and usually I don't see the tweet for a minute or two until after it's posted (that it's in stock somewhere), always click it, and they're always already sold out.

jm89

I think sony are putting more manufacturing effort to ps5 which is understandable. But they really could have killed of the scalpers for the portal if they tried.

The major components shouldn't be hard to source. Dualsense components + LCD screen + Mid tier snapdragon chip.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Might want to think about some accessories for now because more and more will be opened on Christmas morning and there will be a flood of orders for screen protectors and cases etc.
The Spigen case has restocked on Amazon mckmas8808 mckmas8808

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Same here. If I walk in a Walmart and there's one sitting on the shelf for $200, I'd buy it. I follow Wario64, and usually I don't see the tweet for a minute or two until after it's posted (that it's in stock somewhere), always click it, and they're always already sold out.
You'll never be faster than an army of bots. They purchase them the second they hit the server for sale.

It's stupid, and I refuse to take part in this scalper game again. I hope those bastards end up with a ton of product they can't move.

jm89

I was thinking of wiring up my network.

But ps portal seems to be doing surprisingly well with everything on wifi.

Was playing some wipeout, and held up quite well interms of conection stability. Although wouldn't recommend it for a game like that, way too fast paced and you can feel the latency a bit.

Last edited:

DrFigs

How is it still out of stock. wtf is sony doing???? How many did they make????

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I ended up keeping mine, the deck works very well but I can stream my PC and other things there while my wife uses the portal or viceversa. Rather have it than not having it as it works great.

Since I have until the end of January to return it I've held onto mine. After the initial first horrible impressions I can say the device is much better now. Looks great and connected very quickly even at my job. I had some real issues connecting at work. First it wouldn't connect at all, then it randomly connected with no changes made by me, then it stopped connecting again. Now I've tested several times and it connects every time without issue and looks great.

I'll be testing more through the weekend and next week. If everything goes well I'll probably end up selling my deck. I hardly used it before but kept it just in case for remote play.

MarkMe2525

Shame to see scalpers taking advantage of a limited launch once again. Everyone should hold off a month on purchasing to make these people sweat. Overall, the excitement around the product has surprised me. I imagined people who wanted to utilize remote play would already have a solution. Sony proved me wrong.

The Shepard

Completed my first PlayStation Portal only game earlier. Never would've found the time to sit at the TV and Complete this without the Portal. The Game is great and so is the Portal.

tVhD2le.jpg

I haven't received mine yet but was curious about something. I just got the Pulse Explore earbuds but I don't know if I like them over my VR P10 earbuds.

Has anybody used them on the Portal? I was wondering if the USB C dongle fits and if it outputs audio or not.

FrankWza

I haven't received mine yet but was curious about something. I just got the Pulse Explore earbuds but I don't know if I like them over my VR P10 earbuds.

Has anybody used them on the Portal? I was wondering if the USB C dongle fits and if it outputs audio or not.
The only way to use anything wirelessly with the Portal is to be within the proper distance of your PS5. In order to use the Portals audio with a wireless connection you need Explores or a Bluetooth dongle connected to the 3.5 jack. The Portal usb port does not output audio

Last edited:
The only way to use anything wirelessly with the Portal is to be within the proper distance of your PS5. In order to use the Portals audio with a wireless connection you need Explores or a Bluetooth dongle connected to the 3.5 jack. The Portal usb port does not output audio
Well damn. It’s probably not a huge deal since I’ll be mostly using it on the couch or in bed which is close to the ps5 but still.

I’m just trying to figure everything out since I’m on the fence about the earbuds.

FrankWza

Well damn. It’s probably not a huge deal since I’ll be mostly using it on the couch or in bed which is close to the ps5 but still.

I’m just trying to figure everything out since I’m on the fence about the earbuds.
If those buds sound good and fit you well you're better off buying a BT adapter and using the 3.5 jack when away from your PS5. You may experience a slight delay but if you Google it I'm sure there is one that has little lag. Might cost a bit more than the cheap $10-15 ones. And just use your PS5 audio when at home

manzo

My initial impressions. At home, PS5 is RJ45 connected to my Zyxel Wifi6 router. Internet is 100/10, fiber, didn't bother with static IPs for consoles. Had the Portal for a bit over a week (came out 8th December in Finland).

At home: almost identical when comparing to Wii U pad, just a hint of more lag. Absolutely everything fully playable. Nearly no input lag. Could play Overwatch and Rainbow Six Siege like directly from console and nothing is different.
At work (company 10 gigabit connection using WiFi): Slight lag, but competitive shooting still playable. Some random hiccups in video stream every 30 seconds, like a short judder that solves itself instantly. RPGs and adventure games have no issues, even Star Ocean 6's combat was completely fine.
150mb 5g connection with my phone using personal hotspot: Pretty much same as at work. I'm leaning to the fact of my small 10mb upstream at home, that I'm planning to upgrade to 150mb if needed.
At my parent's, shitty 4g 30mbit shared connection with WiFi: Same as work but video seems to hover between 540p and 1080p. Lag stays the same, but more judders in video stream. I would rule out competitive shooting at this point, but RPGs and single player FPS's are absolutely fine.

Next week, I'll test at another country. At least within my country, way, WAY better than with my work laptop. I previously used a wired PS5 controller with my PC; the lag was bad enough to make playing Start Ocean 6 a bit hard in battles. No problems whatsoever with the Portal. I never expected results this good.

As I travel a lot for work (and I mainly bought this for remote play at the hotels), absolutely a god-send versus my previous setup. Not much using this at home, as when I want to play, others are thrown out from the living room.

Edit: updated with playing abroad. Currently in Hungary in the outskirts of Budapest, small village. Using inlaws’ 50/30 cable, 2,4ghz wi-fi. Speedtest.net shows 110ms latency to my home ISP in Finland. 1700km from home.

Result: Image hovers between 540p-720p. Small and medium jitters in video along with random macroblocking every 15-30 seconds. Like watching an old 2007 pirated and badly downloaded DivX video on a DVD player. Crackles and pops in audio when jitters happen. Lag is kinda like non-game mode on a low budget television; noticeable but you accomodate to it very quickly. For me, absolutely playable and very good considering the in-the-boonies setup. I understand this might be a cutoff for some what is considered playable, depending the games you play. Rpgs and casual FPS is just fine, don’t expect to play competitively.

I’m plowing through Star Ocean 6 in the evenings just fine, even if the video jitters and small stutters happen in fast battles, but it’s not making me perform worse. I had a match of Overwatch, but the input lag made it casual and non-competitive. This is perfect for travelling and playing those single player games that are slower paced or don’t require 0 lag, like anything 30fps or adventure games. Quite in line what I expected after testing this back home.

After 2,5 weeks, I’m extremely happy of the purchase.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Thanks man. Lets see if it's less than $40.
There is a slight issue with it. There's a little wiggle room if you don't have handle grips or a shell. Also looks like it is becoming more available and resell prices have dropped for now. They'll may go back up as people open their PS5s for Christmas but not to the level they were. Currently $250 on stockx

mckmas8808

There is a slight issue with it. There's a little wiggle room if you don't have handle grips or a shell. Also looks like it is becoming more available and resell prices have dropped for now. They'll may go back up as people open their PS5s for Christmas but not to the level they were. Currently $250 on stockx

I FINALLY GOT A PORTAL! Went to Target at 6:30am and waited 30 minutes in the 40 degree cold to grab one of the 2 shipped there that morning.
3lUfWGK.jpg

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Been blasting through power wash simulator (currently part of ps plus monthly games) and it’s a great game for the portal.

I’ve had it since day one and my only complaint is I wish you could switch on the PS5 remotely with it but if you mainly keep in rest mode it’s no big deal. I like to switch my PS5 off at night though just out of habit.

Great device.

mckmas8808

Been blasting through power wash simulator (currently part of ps plus monthly games) and it’s a great game for the portal.

I’ve had it since day one and my only complaint is I wish you could switch on the PS5 remotely with it but if you mainly keep in rest mode it’s no big deal. I like to switch my PS5 off at night though just out of habit.

Great device.

I've exclusively been playing Cocoon on the Portal and love the game and the device. It'll mainly be my indie game\AAA side-quest machine from now on. The next game I'll play exclusively on will be Jusant. These type of games just seem perfect for it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom