• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Insider Gaming]: Playstation Portal to be Tracked as a Console per Sony's Request

Senua

Well considering the laws of physics are the same for everyone, it just means some people are willing to play games subparly thanks to lag. Whether they understand that or not is a completely different question.
Always amazes me the input latency people will put up with. I go round peoples houses that are gaming with non gaming mode presets on TVs with like 200ms lag. It's like playing Killzone 2....FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Peroroncino

If you can put such bs requests and they actually honor it, then MS should ask for their controllers be tracked as hardware platform, they're gonna dominate! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It's not just cloud streaming, but potentially more importantly, cloud streaming of digital library games, which absolutely makes this a platform onto its own.

Sony is trying to tackle the issue of not being able to create a PS5 Switch device by pushing for cloud streaming, which will give them greater subscription concentration. This is probably why they increased the price of PS+ and PS+ Premium to be exact. They also confirmed the ability to stream your digital library, which clearly wouldn't make much sense to do on your own console.

This will be the first major stand-alone streaming hardware on the market. It's clear that with the purchase of iSize, Sony is reading their re-entry into streaming.

Imagine next we'll see PS+ App on Sony TVs and then eventually non-Sony TVs and maybe a Streaming stick with Wifi/Ethernet and the PS+ App and a Dual Sense controller (or maybe sold separately).

I feel like I’m reading a PR piece.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Lazy response.

Response to your PR piece? You sound like a mouthpiece for Sony, not a gamer.

In your mind it’s already a Cloud streaming device and Sony supposedly raised the price of Plus to cover a future feature that in your mind already exists.

Pretty sure it was you blowing off Nvidia’s GeForce cloud platform, when it was announced that Game Pass could be used on it. Apparently you saw no point in a PC streaming subscription where you don’t even need a PC to play your PC games, but you’re singing a totally different tune when it comes to Papa Sony doing it.

Response to your PR piece? You sound like a mouthpiece for Sony, not a gamer.

In your mind it’s already a Cloud streaming device and Sony supposedly raised the price of Plus to cover a future feature that in your mind already exists.

Pretty sure it was you blowing off Nvidia’s GeForce cloud platform, when it was announced that Game Pass could be used on it. Apparently you saw no point in a PC streaming subscription where you don’t even need a PC to play your PC games, but you’re singing a totally different tune when it comes to Papa Sony doing it.

As a gamer I canceled PS+ though I have a stacked membership for another year or two. And have no interest in buying the portal.

There is an interview where sony already says they're looking into testing the Portal with Cloud gaming and it is an obvious future state. I think they raised the price because they want to make sure that they get more money from people who aren't buying a physical console.

If you look back at the thread, I said I tested GFN and actually think it is quite good. I still don't see anyone subscribing to both at the same time for an extended amount of time and there is also no dedicated hardware for this, except for maybe the nvidia shield.

Reading is your friend. I think for some reason people find reading really difficult these days and come to their own conclusions without having read what anyone actually wrote.

And despite the technology around GFN, the library is trash, which is what I think they're trying to correct for with GamePass, but again no one is paying the combined subscription cost.

20 dollars a month for GFN + 10 dollars a month for GamePass PC = 30 dollars a month vs PS+ Premium which is 18 dollars a month...

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
And despite the technology around GFN, the library is trash, which is what I think they're trying to correct for with GamePass, but again no one is paying the combined subscription cost.

20 dollars a month for GFN + 10 dollars a month for GamePass PC = 30 dollars a month vs PS+ Premium which is 18 dollars a month...

The library is your library of titles you own. Throwing Game Pass in there just makes it look a little better on paper, and it’s possible Microsoft made a deal to get it on there.
Not every developer allows their games to be streamed, because it’s viewed as a separate platform.
Sony could’ve run into the same problem, since they want it treated as a separate platform. So raising the price of Plus possibly went towards appeasing those developers or publishers.
A hypothetical cloud service would likely be an additional price increase.

The library is your library of titles you own. Throwing Game Pass in there just makes it look a little better on paper, and it’s possible Microsoft made a deal to get it on there.
Not every developer allows their games to be streamed, because it’s viewed as a separate platform.
Sony could’ve run into the same problem, since they want it treated as a separate platform. So raising the price of Plus possibly went towards appeasing those developers or publishers.
A hypothetical cloud service would likely be an additional price increase.

Titles that you have to buy specifically within GFN. Not a single one of my Steam-purchased titles synced over. GFN is by itself 18 dollars for the dedicated tier. Throwing GP doesn't make it look better on paper, because it brings the cost up considerably. Microsoft made the deal in order to help close the ABK deal.

So now you're agreeing with me that they raised the price due to the PS5 Streaming?

What hypothetical cloud service? It already exists today. The only question is whether the Portal will support it. We already know the price and it is substantially cheaper than GFN + PC GP, which is again 28 dollars a month vs 18 dollars per month. And aside from the tech, I think most people would prefer to have PS+ than GFN if they're looking specifically for streaming and again there isn't really a dedicated hardware platform for GFN aside from say the Nvidia Shield.

Three

Do we really need to be tracking more than 3 systems?

Jxr9aut.jpg
Circana already did years ago. X% decline in "other consoles".

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Titles that you have to buy specifically within GFN. Not a single one of my Steam-purchased titles synced over. GFN is by itself 18 dollars for the dedicated tier. Throwing GP doesn't make it look better on paper, because it brings the cost up considerably. Microsoft made the deal in order to help close the ABK deal.
I don’t know how big your Steam library is, so none of your games syncing over could be a lot or a little.

But it depends entirely on the developer/publisher. Some are dicks, hence the reason you’d have to buy specifically from GFN.

I’m not in agreement that Sony raised the price of Plus for something that hasn’t happened. That would be a bullshit move on their part and they should be called out on it if that’s the case.

Isn't it essentially just a controller cut in half with a LCD(sadly) screen in the middle? It is an accessory to the PS5

Is it a PS5 accessory if it plays PS5 cloud games without a PS5?

If Sony intends for it to play Cloud games but isn't ready, it would make sense that they would want tracking on it so that 3rd party developers and publishers can see how the cloud platform is doing without them having to divulge those details directly and on a region by region basis.

I don’t know how big your Steam library is, so none of your games syncing over could be a lot or a little.

But it depends entirely on the developer/publisher. Some are dicks, hence the reason you’d have to buy specifically from GFN.

I’m not in agreement that Sony raised the price of Plus for something that hasn’t happened. That would be a bullshit move on their part and they should be called out on it if that’s the case.

They enabled PS5 Cloud streaming weeks ago, it has already happened. Whether it happens and when will it happen for the Portal is the only real outstanding question. Ultimately they raised the prices to increase their revenue, and why they may have needed additional revenue is debatable based on the information we have, but I don't think it is farfetched that they plan on significantly expanding their cloud profile.

• They just enabled PS5 cloud streaming
    • This requires Ps5 server blades across the planet
  • They just released a device that they've stated they're looking at bringing cloud streaming to
  • They just bought a company that makes technology to decrease the bandwidth needed for cloud streaming/increase the performance of cloud streaming

And as it relates to GFN

No one wants to buy specifically to GFN and have your games locked into that ecosystem. At least if you couldn't afford a PS5 or multiple PS5s you could make use of the Portal and build up your digital library in the process.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
So folks who have the Portal...it feel like a console to you?

If it's tracked separately than a PS5 I guess this is okay? I'm just confused as to why...when you need a PS5 to use the damn thing...

Fahdis

Titles that you have to buy specifically within GFN. Not a single one of my Steam-purchased titles synced over.

What hypothetical cloud service? It already exists today. The only question is whether the Portal will support it. We already know the price and it is substantially cheaper than GFN + PC GP, which is again 28 dollars a month vs 18 dollars per month. And aside from the tech, I think most people would prefer to have PS+ than GFN if they're looking specifically for streaming and again there isn't really a dedicated hardware platform for GFN aside from say the Nvidia Shield.

You get synced on Steam, Epic, Ubisoft, Gog and Xbox with your Purchases and GP. What drugs are you on pal?

$28 a month? Where are you getting your amounts from. A 6 month package is $100 for Ultra Tier. So its $16.67 a month. Wtf.

Solidus_T

If it turns out that this thing rivals consoles in sales, all it will really show is that a new *real* PlayStation Portable would do even better... Whatever good for Sony though. I hope they actually do make a new PSP

You get synced on Steam, Epic, Ubisoft, Gog and Xbox with your Purchases and GP. What drugs are you on pal?

$28 a month? Where are you getting your amounts from. A 6 month package is $100 for Ultra Tier. So its $16.67 a month. Wtf.

Jesus...

You can sync your accounts, but that doesn't mean all of your purchases will play on GFN. This has been discussed, but you have a reading problem.

28 months is the monthly cost for GFN and PC GamePass at the monthly rate consistent with the calculation I made for PS+ Premium. Yeah, committing longer term will save you money in both cases, but that doesn't change the fact that GFN + PC Gamepass is significantly more expensive than PS+ Premium.

If you're not going to read, don't bother responding dude

Top Bottom