• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Portal reviews

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
To the top with great info here especially use this device in the 5GHz band

A few tips boys :

- PS5 should be hardwired via Ethernet

- Put static IPs on both the PS5 and portal

- Check channel congestion - use something like Wi-fi analyzer from the Google store to see which one is the less congested and then go to your router and select said channel.(or, you could put it to "auto" in the router's settings).

- Use only the 5Ghz channel - it's better if you separate the 2.4GHz and 5Ghz channels from within your router as to be sure to which one your device(s) connect to, i.e, create a "Neogaf 2.4GHz" and a "Neogaf 5GHz" one.

- If you have a shitty ISP provided router and you can't connect, make sure to open the specific ports for RP (can find them on Sony's site).
Some routers won't let you open specific ports (blocked by the ISP) - happened to me with my ISP's router and no matter what i did, i couldn't connect/put the PS5 out of sleep mode, in the end, i had to buy a new router and now everything works as it should.

- From within your router's settings, enable the QoS priority mode for both the PS5 and your device.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Why does a thing that says it will do X does X, and not Y?

Ngapa GIF

So wait, this thing still goes via your router and doesn't have a direct connection to the PS5?

What's the point?
I don't understand why my Quest 3 can't just stream directly to my phone. Why do all these devices have to go through a Router? Is it part of the Wifi spec or something?

The more I read about this device, the more it perplexes me. What does airplane mode service on a tablet whose sole purpose is to stay connected to a PS5 to be operational.
That's what I don't get. On the phone you can be in airplane mode and still turn on bluetooth, so maybe with airplane mode on you can still use the PS link connection directly but not wifi? That's my best guess.

midnightAI

The more I read about this device, the more it perplexes me. What does airplane mode service on a tablet whose sole purpose is to stay connected to a PS5 to be operational.
I think that may be a legal requirement if I remember correctly for any phone or tablet (this is still essentially a tablet)

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member

Ronin_7

Banned
Where are you gathering this?

I'm seeing 120ms of added latency, inconsistent image quality, and poor battery life.
I'm seeing a great controller, great screen even if at 1080p.

IQ depends on connection, I've a 1Gb connection and 5G on my phone.

It's not my problem the US has shitty internet mate.

Battery is 4.5-5.5 hours, Steam Deck turns off at 1.25H here, sure not the same but you should never expect 20H battery life here.

Last edited:

Phase

So wait, this thing still goes via your router and doesn't have a direct connection to the PS5?

What's the point?
The only review that has some kind of latency test showed greater than 120ms. That's awful. Seems like the only bonuses in this device over the Logitech G Cloud are haptics and a slightly larger screen. It's a downgrade in nearly every other department. This creation of this device just baffles me.
"5 hours of battery on a full charge."

Holy shit. That's awful.

Logitech G Cloud gets ~12 hours, mind you.

This is baffling. It doesn't even feel like these companies are trying anymore. It's making me feel really weird lately.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I'm seeing a great controller, great screen even if at 1080p.

IQ depends on connection, I've a 1GB connection and 5G on my phone.

It's not my problem the US has shitty internet mate.

Battery is 4.5-5.5 hours, Steam Deck turns off at 1.25H here, sure not the same but you should never expect 20H battery life here.

Shitty internet? These impressions are done on local networks and have nothing to do with an internet connection.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
My impartial, unbiased impressions on this device are just based on me trying cloud on Xbox a tiny bit. To try that, I spent $5 for a little plastic clip that hooked to my Xbox controller. It holds my phone. From there I could cloud stream on blue tooth or wi-fi with the full ergonomics of a real Xbox controller and my nice phone screen. $5.

This just seems like a bad deal. If you want remote play at home then I get it. It's just overpriced and very limited as a product. $5 literally got me more than this product. It makes infinitely more sense to just make an app for phones since you will have a bluetooth plan for it.

Well hopefully more handheld gaming PC's will look a the form factor of this and start putting more comfort in the design part.
Steamdeck 2 take note of the controls here please.

5 hours is fucking good. You can’t even get 2 hours from Steam Deck.
What the fuck are you talking about, Steam Deck plays games locally on the device with no latency, you can also emulate older games, stream movies online and browse the internet.

You can also stream PS5 to Steam Deck and you'll probably get around 6-6.5 hours from it. With the new OLED Deck you'll probably get 8 hours.

Otherwise, what's going on at Sony, it's like they don't know what they're doing. Absolutely nothing worth talking about happening over there over the last couple of years. It's like they fell of a cliff.

Last edited:

Ronin_7

Banned
What the fuck are you talking about, Steam Deck plays games locally on the device with no latency, you can also emulate older games, stream movies online and browse the internet.

You can also stream PS5 to Steam Deck and you'll probably get around 6-6.5 hours from it. With the new OLED Deck you'll probably get 8 hours.
Steam Deck battery it's definitely not 8 hours but once I've the OLED i can test this.

Since I'm not buying Portal i won't be able to compare them.

Killjoy-NL

Got my PS5 wired and my wifi at home has ~400+Mbps download with /65+Mbps upload.

I assume that should be more than enough for stable Remote Play.
Curious as to whether it will be enough to have decent connection for online multiplayer.

Not too worried, if I can play sp or more laid back multiplayer it's fine enough.
Portal is meant as a back-up for when I can't use my tv, it's not going to be my main method for gaming.

Last edited:

Ashler

That's what I don't get. On the phone you can be in airplane mode and still turn on bluetooth, so maybe with airplane mode on you can still use the PS link connection directly but not wifi? That's my best guess.
What do you mean? That you're remote playing via BT? I don't think that would work.

Top Bottom