• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First details on compatible accessories and peripherals for PlayStation 5

Ellery

Wasn't planning on using my DualShocks 4 on PS5 games, because it is one of the things I am most looking forward to. I want a new generation of controllers to jump into next gen. The DualSense looks fantastic.

(I agree it would be nice to have that option if your DualSense breaks for some reason).

"will work with supported PS VR games"

first, Sony: it's psvr, nobody uses the space

second: what we really want to know is weather psvr games will have enhanced resolution and framerate on PS5. Moreover: will PS5 games like Astro Bot and GT7 support psvr?

No DS4 support is fine considering you get a Dualsense out the box. Ideally devs would code for both but I guess they really want to push the new features like haptic feedback and adaptive triggers, microphone etc really hard as a differentiating factor.

People with a bunch of DS4's may probably have a bit of beef with it I guess.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
What's the point in having a new controller then having official support for the old ones that lack features? They put a lot of RnD into the controller based on what we've seen, so of course they will want to push it.

Nice that they're gonna hand those things out.
It might be less impressive when it's a MicroUSB-C adapter or something equally as minor, but nice nonetheless.

Tschumi

- No DS4 support for PS5 games
- No support for 3rd party Bluetooth headsets again

Sigh...
The headsets i get the 'sigh' to bluetooth headset incompatibility, but i dunno why people would be surprised about DS4 support.. It's a new generation, the new remotes have half a dozen new features that probably heavily influence gameplay design, I think it's pretty much as expected~

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
This is bullshit. There is no reason the ps4 controllers can't work with ps5 games outside greed. There goes my arcade sticks and mini controllers on future fighting games again. I guess I should but an adapter or jump ship next gen.

- No DS4 support for PS5 games
- No support for 3rd party Bluetooth headsets again

Sigh...
They really want people to buy those shitty "gamer" headphones rather than let their customers use their own bt headsets like the fucking Vita did.

When has any console ever supported old controllers for new games?
Wii U.
Why would anyone expect this?
The new controller is mostly the same, also running on similar tech. So it is more like why not?

Last edited by a moderator:

Goncas2

No DS4 support for PS5 games shouldn't be a surprise, the new DualSense features would be useless if developers also had to support the DS4.

Developers wouldn't really be able to invent new gameplay styles that take advantage the microphone or the adaptive triggers, for example.

xrnzaaas

For fuck's sake, it's not a big revolution with the new controller. With how current consoles are becoming more and more like PC's in a different box it should be possible imo.

I wonder if the same will apply to third party controllers or only Sony ones.

Last edited:

TheContact

maxresdefault.jpg

remember when you could plug a genesis controller into an atari and it would work? times sure have changed

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
There goes my arcade sticks

Try actually reading the article:

Specialty peripherals, such as officially licensed racing wheels, arcade sticks, and flight sticks, will work with PS5 games and supported PS4 games.

Obviously they're trying to push the new controllers by cutting off support for DS4 in new games, but other peripherals aren't in the same boat because they have no official replacement to push.

turtlepowa

Banned
No DS4 support for PS5 games shouldn't be a surprise, the new DualSense features would be useless if developers also had to support the DS4.

Developers wouldn't really be able to invent new gameplay styles that take advantage the microphone or the adaptive triggers, for example.
Most devs won't make use of it at all unless Sony pays them to do so. There will be tons of games that don't use any of those gimmicks. Why can't you use the DS4 for those?

INC

Comtroller makes sense (duelsense.....lol)

Great news for vr as well, can't wait to see how much better dreams vr can be, with more horse power

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Try actually reading the article:
That's contradictory af. BUT I am glad I can (if they keep their word) I'll be able to use accessories that cost more than the damn thing.
Obviously they're trying to push the new controllers by cutting off support for DS4 in new games, but other peripherals aren't in the same boat because they have no official replacement to push.
How will a controller that is mostly the same as the ds4 change the way you play these new games? Will it have a smell/function?

Most devs won't make use of it at all unless Sony pays them to do so. There will be tons of games that don't use any of those gimmicks. Why can't you use the DS4 for those?
This, a fighting game will play the same on a ds4.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neo Blaster

The headsets i get the 'sigh' to bluetooth headset incompatibility, but i dunno why people would be surprised about DS4 support.. It's a new generation, the new remotes have half a dozen new features that probably heavily influence gameplay design, I think it's pretty much as expected~
I know, but at least we could have basic support. Gonna be too costly for me to buy two more DualSenses just to play Sackboy with my wife and kid.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
How will a controller that is mostly the same as the ds4 change the way you play these new games? Will it have a smell/function?

Oh I'm not saying they will, they could definitely have made DS4 function. It's definitely just a cheap sales tactic to push the new version of the product, pretend the old one isn't good enough.

turtlepowa

Banned
So there should be “DualShock 4 Compatible” games along with the games that require a DualSense?

That won’t be confusing at all....
There won't be many games that require a DualSense. All the 3rd party games will work with the Xbox One controller, Switch controller, many 3rd party controllers and only god knows with how many other controllers on Pc as well. Why shouldn't they work on PS5 with the DS4?

AV

Sony believes in generations and don't care how anybody feels about it. It isn't anticonsumer, they believe in moving forward and leaving the old behind. All the advanced features which could help drive experiences forward are being championed with this decison

I'll be there day one for PS5, but no matter which way you spin it, arbitrarily stopping DS4 support for what amounts to HD rumble is unequivocally an anti-consumer move.

Breakage

PS5 is supposed to be a radical departure from PS4 (hence the console's flamboyant two-tone design), so the lack of DualShock 4 support isn't surprising.

Sony believes in generations and don't care how anybody feels about it. It isn't anticonsumer, they believe in moving forward and leaving the old behind. All the advanced features which could help drive experiences forward are being championed with this decison
I completely understand that, especially from a business standpoint. They've done this in the past with previous consoles too so it's nothing new. Though some people, especially forum dwellers will consider this "anti consumer" the regular Joe will dismiss this as will I.

Mmnow

This is disappointing. In the past Ive shelled out for bundles with two controllers so my wife and I can co-op. I was looking forward to not have to do that this gen.

In my household, this will push PS5 to become a single player machine. It's not a threat to Sony, because we're not talking millions of pounds, but this will end up with them getting less money out of me, money I want to give them.

Mista

Banned
Which existing PlayStation 4 peripherals / accessories will work on PlayStation 5?

• Specialty peripherals, such as officially licensed racing wheels, arcade sticks, and flight sticks, will work with PlayStation 5 games and supported PlayStation 4 games.
  • The Platinum and Gold Wireless Headsets, as well as third-party headsets that connect via USB port or audio jack, will work on PlayStation 5 (the headset companion app is not compatible with PlayStation 5).
  • The DualShock 4 wireless controller and PlayStation officially licensed third-party gamepad controllers will work with supported PlayStation 5 games.
  • Both the PlayStation Move Motion Controllers and the PlayStation VR Aim Controller will work with supported PlayStation VR games on PlayStation 5.
Please note, not all PlayStation officially licensed or third-party peripherals / accessories may work on PlayStation 5. We recommend checking with the manufacturer to confirm whether a product will work on PlayStation 5 and specific titles.

Will DualShock 4 work with PlayStation 5 games?

No, we believe that PlayStation 5 games should take advantage of the new capabilities and features we’re bringing to the platform, including the features of DualSense wireless controller.

Is the PlayStation Camera for PlayStation 4 compatible with PlayStation 5?

Yes, PlayStation Camera will work with PlayStation 5 for playing supported PlayStation VR games. It will require a PlayStation Camera adapter that will be provided at no additional cost to PlayStation VR users. More details on how to get the adapter will be announced at a later date.

THEAP99

Banned
Any word on if the back attachment thing is compatible with the dual sense?

also i never used the DualShock 3 with the ps4 once or even know people who used it on ps4, so I’m confused about people upset or shocked that the DualShock 4 is not playable on the ps5 despite how games will be designed around the dual sense and it’s an upgrade not just a copy and paste of the DS4.

Agent X

When has any console ever supported old controllers for new games? Why would anyone expect this?

Many of them have, but mainly for backward compatibility for previous generations, as well as newer games that didn't require the features of the newer systems' controller. For example, Atari 2600 controllers (which had one button) could be used on Atari 7800, but only for 2600 games and any 7800 games that didn't require two-button controls.

PlayStation 2 supported PlayStation 1 controllers in a similar way.

Goncas2

I could already see fanboys getting mad at developers that chose to make the DualSense a requirement. It would discourage devs from using the new DualSense features.

Last edited:
Top Bottom