• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 22-28 | 2 Fast 2 Fuerte: Tokido Drift

ByKXxC3CQAA2piQ.jpg

AAK

Hey Oneida, I remember a really long time back you posted a very nifty table outlining all the movement options after certain maneuvers in VF5. Do you know where I can find that?

Hope Rumble in the Tundra was fun! I remember Chacha advertising the hell out of it when he came down for the Toronto major. Sorry i couldn't make it, I had passport issues :(

I'd say EXVS Full Boost but it has about as much of a chance as SRW OG Saga Infinite Battle.

Namco killed their chance of a tournament scene by not releasing the game with a LAN mode. Connecting to the internet being the only way for 2v2 is a huge oversight. Plus it requires an online pass. Double LOL.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Hey Oneida, I remember a really long time back you posted a very nifty table outlining all the movement options after certain maneuvers in VF5. Do you know where I can find that?

Hope Rumble in the Tundra was fun! I remember Chacha advertising the hell out of it when he came down for the Toronto major. Sorry i couldn't make it, I had passport issues :(
NtSFv1i.png

the important stuff:
guard cancels forward dash
forward dash cancels evade
therefore evade dash cancel beats slow circulars. aka EDC. 266G or 866G

crouch dash cancels evade
guard cancels crouch dash
that's fuzzy guard. beats mid/throw mixup at -5 and above. at -6 or below you must EDC or ECD (evade crouch dash cancel). 233G or 833G.

evade cancels backdash
backdash evade is really safe, beats a lot of offensive options when you can't fuzzy. 3K blows it up HARD though. 442 or 448.

if you wanna practice a really strong step, do 44833G. REALLY good in neutral situations If you want to fish for advantage instead of playing offense. beats a lot of stuff.

RitT4 was a blast. nice to be able to have a real top 8 in a less popular game at a minor which isn't VF centric in the first place. shame you missed it, plan on coming to NYGX :)

AAK

Once my passport stuff gets fixed I'm definitely travelling to US more often for FG's!

Thanks for the info. What does CD stand for? and DM is the same thing as evade right? Also another thing, in the VF5 Training mode how do I

1. Make the AI eat the first hit, then automatically block the next hit. And on top of that, modify the first hit to become a counter hit. I want to test what strings my character has that are a natural combo or counter hit natural combo.

2. How do I make the AI techroll after landing from a juggle?

Thanks for the info!

EDIT: NVM: CD is 11 33 right?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I figure something has got to give so I only posted for the games I want to enter in 2015, since I plan on it being my first Evo

Xrd I feel is a lock because it's Guilty Gear, but I hope UNIEL gets its day in the sun as well

K.Sabot

XRD has to be there, seems like a winter release for US will be the best timing.

Don't think we'll get tekken on consoles soon enough.

BBCP might be on the ticket.

KOFXIII, well I think we'll have to say farewell to it.

Sm4sh will be there, Melee should be a given as well since it was a top 3 game the past 2 years.

UNIEL has a tiny chance, the game is losing momentum and I don't think the localization before evo will help it.

USF4 and Marvel or course. Marvel has at least one more year in it.

MK10 is super dependent on release date, I would like it to be there.

So my prospective list would be:
USF4
UMvC3
Sm4sh
Melee
XRD
BBCP
KI
and one more (maybe UNIEL, P4U2, or DoA5 Final)

kirblar

Matchup-focused = what the game is "about" changes dramatically depending on what combination of characters is involved. That's not really the case for Tekken.

My list:

USF4
MvC3
Smash 4
BBCP
GG Xrd
Injustice
MKX
KOF13 (although this one probably should be cut based on last year's turnout :( )
KI

oneida

Once my passport stuff gets fixed I'm definitely travelling to US more often for FG's!

Thanks for the info. What does CD stand for? and DM is the same thing as evade right? Also another thing, in the VF5 Training mode how do I

1. Make the AI eat the first hit, then automatically block the next hit. And on top of that, modify the first hit to become a counter hit. I want to test what strings my character has that are a natural combo or counter hit natural combo.

2. How do I make the AI techroll after landing from a juggle?

Thanks for the info!

EDIT: NVM: CD is 11 33 right?
CD = crouch dash
11 and 33 both work, 11 is almost useless tho, just use 33. you can use 11 to buffer CDs from moves that make you backturned, which will evade any high attack if you turn at disadvantage. gimmicky, but if you ever make it work you'll feel amazing.

DM = evade
OM = cancelling an evade with P+K+G. only used to get your opponent sideturned while you have advantage. completely unsafe when used at disadvantage, you're vulnerable. also used for positioning after knockdowns

here's two ways to do what you're describing.
a. record Jacky CPU to do P,K, (G to clear inputs), knee, G. hold guard for like 4 seconds after the knee comes out. Now, when you play, block the P,K, and you'll be at +4 and the CPU will try to do a 17 frame move, meaning anything you do that's 21f or faster will beat the knee, he'll get CH, then guard after.

b. set CPU to defensive option 3. That's the one where he blocks and responds with an elbow. use OM to get to the CPU's side, then hit P,(G to clear inputs), then whatever move you want. you should be at +3 or 4 after the blocked ST P, and Jacky's elbow is 14f, so anything you do that's 17 or 18f or faster will beat the next attack, he'll get CH, then guard the next hit.

as for techrolling, if you go to I think CPU settings, there's an option towards the bottom of that menu called "advanced" or "details" or something. there should be an option there to recover from a knockdown with a roll.

Its not. There are no match up charts for Tekken. The reason why its bad for Tekken to have so many characters is because that's stacked on the numerous other things you have to learn. For SSF4 and on I can see Kimo's point.

I don't mean matchup-heavy in the sense of ST's counterpick carousel, just that the matchups are "heavy", aka have a lot of esoterica to learn and/or play very differently from each other. SF4 is heavy. GG is heavy. I'd say Tekken is heavy.

KOF has a lot less matchup specific data and wonkiness to remember. You just play KOF.

That's what I meant by being a matchup-heavy game, and why I think it's bad for matchup-heavy games to have large casts. There's just too much data to internalize and basically anyone can be blown up by lack of matchup knowledge.

I don't mean matchup-heavy in the sense of ST's counterpick carousel, just that the matchups are "heavy", aka have a lot of esoterica to learn and/or play very differently from each other. SF4 is heavy. GG is heavy. I'd say Tekken is heavy.

KOF has a lot less matchup specific data and wonkiness to remember. You just play KOF.

That's what I meant by being a matchup-heavy game, and why I think it's bad for matchup-heavy games to have large casts. There's just too much data to internalize and basically anyone can be blown up by lack of matchup knowledge.

If that's what you meant then why is KOF exempt.

kirblar

You get that with any game with a large cast.

The positive side is that it creates an enormous amount of play diversity, where you're experiencing different things each time you face a different opponent. Sure, that makes it harder to master in a tournament setting, but is that really a bad thing?

Seven games - Anime Game, 3D Game, Marvel, USF4, MKX, KI, Smash 4 Wii U.

I would kill for Skullgirls just one year but it will never happen. Evo would need to be a five day event to fit every deserving fighting game. :(

Normally I'd say "bun the anime game and have something better on", but after the BBCP finals this year I say "embrace the anime".

Compbros

XRD has to be there, seems like a winter release for US will be the best timing.

Don't think we'll get tekken on consoles soon enough.

BBCP might be on the ticket.

KOFXIII, well I think we'll have to say farewell to it.

Sm4sh will be there, Melee should be a given as well since it was a top 3 game the past 2 years.

UNIEL has a tiny chance, the game is losing momentum and I don't think the localization before evo will help it.

USF4 and Marvel or course. Marvel has at least one more year in it.

MK10 is super dependent on release date, I would like it to be there.

Agreed with the community liking it part but as long as it's not completely dead it'll probably make it.

DoA will replace Tekken.

BBCP, P4U, Xrd or UNIEL.

Agreed.

Yep.

I think it has no chance, don't think it sustains its numbers or have better numbers than BB/P4 to make it.

Marvel has as many years as possible as long as it's not only the second highest entered game but by a large gap compared to the third highest.

MKX comes out April, just like MK9/Injustice before it, it's a guarantee MK is in.

Edit: I believe 8 games make it.

SFIV
Marvel
MKX
KI
Smash 4
Xrd
DoA
BB/P4

Too bad BBCP probably won't make the cut unless 2.0 comes out in time and turns out to be actually good.
BBCP died for anime's sins!

GGXrd looks really good though, so it being the likely anime game
sorry Persona fans
is okay by m.e

We're making jokes in the Liverpool scene about how we're all going to buy the game, play it for a week then drop it, though.

BTW I am pumped for MKX at Evo if it happens. MK9 is a busted game but it was so much fun in its early days. Fun to me is super important.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
If that's what you meant then why is KOF exempt.

Stuff like movement, character weight and hitbox size are alot more universal in KoF.

Vs in GG where you have generally have character specific tactics and combos because of all of those factors

oneida

I don't think we'll get a 3D game next year....

fuck i'm an asshole, i just realized i didn't watch tekken at evo14. queuing it up now.

would love to see 3D at evo, wouldn't be surprised if it didn't happen. too many games and EVO will always prioritize 2D.

Compbros

In 2011. This year, it barely edged out out Melee as the second highest game.

You're right but that's more a case of the third game getting so many entrants instead of Marvel getting so few compared to 2013. They lost roughly 200 while the third place game got 5-600~ more (from numbers I'm finding).

Matchup-focused = what the game is "about" changes dramatically depending on what combination of characters is involved. That's not really the case for Tekken.

My list:

USF4
MvC3
Smash 4
BBCP
GG Xrd
Injustice
MKX
KOF13 (although this one probably should be cut based on last year's turnout :( )
KI
Injustice is an odd pick.

I think the big question is this: Melee and Smash 4, or just Smash 4?

Top Bottom