• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predicing Jimbo's Sony E3/big summer event State of Play

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Defensive much? I wasn't belittling it's achievement, just pointing out its flaws. Calm down. It's still technically impressive.
But THIS is what flying around google maps is.
oHWREue.png

you do understand that the screenshot I posted is a direct one from Google Earth's (which is the same as google maps) flight simulator?

Comparing MSFS to google maps means not knowing absolutely anything about it. There's a LOT more to it than simply slapping satellite imagery into the engine.

Again, lemme know when anyone else will have something comparable on consoles combining similar fidelity with similar scale. I have a feeling I'll wait for a long time.

Last edited:

SSfox

I assume FFXVI, FFVIIR2 and DQ12 weren't at E3 because they saved them for the next Sony event.

Regarding Capcom, fighting games traditionally get announced at EVO, which now is a Sony event, so I assume they will announce it there. But Capcom still has to announce the last SFV character and to release Akira and Oro before that, and had other places where they can announce it like the Capcom Cup finals or Intel World Open (SFV Tokyo Olympics tournament) finals. SF6 was leaked to be multiplatform, so maybe Sony won't push it too hard.

At least a yer ago for 2022 Capcom planned to release SF6, next Itsuno game (Dragon's Dogma 2) a new IP (different than Pragmata) and more. So unless they delayed everything, if they didn't show all this is because they are saving it for a Sony event.
When it comes to huge updates for fighting game Evo is basically the best place for most part for devs, but for announcement of brand new fighting games i can see this happen during any kind of big gaming event.

ZywyPL

Banned
[...] so if I were Sony, I wouldn't show anything that doesn't release within the next 12 month window...which means no show.

They shown GT7 gameplay last year already, the menu, campaign map etc., so there's no reason to stop showing more when the content is there. That 5h HFW countdown showed multiple environments, they can show one of them in new gameplay. They can't just sit there doing nothing for months, that's not how it works, they need to maintain the hype.

Last edited:

zedinen

Sony expects record year for first party games revenues, which means HFW, GOW and GT are slated to be released before April (and explains cross-gen strategy)

Sony expects to sell 23M+ PS5s in a single year, FY22, for the first time in PlayStation history. Something that PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 couldn't achieve.

Sony is loaded and ready (or delusional)

Last edited:

yurinka

When it comes to huge updates for fighting game Evo is basically the best place for most part for devs, but for announcement of brand new fighting games i can see this happen during any kind of big gaming event.
Yep, but think that now Sony and the guys behind UFC are the new EVO owners, which means they will pump it hard and will skyrocket its audience. And regarding announcements, even if only has a marketing deal with the game -similar to the REVillage one- or something like that, they will ask them to announce it at EVO.

Specially being the first EVO year for them, they will want to make people say that the new EVO is better, cool, etc.

Sony expects record year for first party games revenues, which means HFW, GOW and GT are slated to be released before April (and explains cross-gen strategy)

Sony expects to sell 23M+ PS5s in a single year, FY22, for the first time in PlayStation history. Something that PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 couldn't achieve.

Sony is loaded and ready (or delusional)
Sony has been breaking many gaming history records in the recent years and have been achieving their estimations. PS4 had the best selling first years of any console in gaming history, and PS5 had even a better start.

Their game sales (both 1st party and total) and MAU are better than ever. So if they don't sell more than these 23 millions will be beause of the lack of chips, not because lack of demand.

Last edited:

SSfox

Yep, but think that now Sony and the guys behind UFC are the new EVO owners, which means they will pump it hard and will skyrocket its audience. And regarding announcements, even if only has a marketing deal with the game -similar to the REVillage one- or something like that, they will ask them to announce it at EVO.

Specially being the first EVO year for them, they will want to make people say that the new EVO is better, cool, etc.

Good point. It's a possibility indeed.

Last edited:

SSfox

it was a bad E3 and Sony will have no problem beating that, they might even pull out some of the big guns and hold back lol no hurry
DONT SAY THAT or they will save GOWR trailer for another YEAR

Probably

I worry they will look at the competition’s weak showing and hold back though
Yeah, i mean i think Sony was rumored having save GOWR trailer last year in June event cause of the MS show that happened right before and that was MEH.

Nautilus

Banned
Nah, I really think so.

People need to gey over the old sentiment that, for a game to be ambitious/Big/"worthwhile" it has to have the most cutting edge graphics, or that it has to be necessarily in 3D.

Ever since the 7th gen, graphics and the overall power has been losing importance in how good a game can be.While the additional power that the PS5 and Series X can provide new gaming experiences, such as with Rachet and Clank Rift Apart, it isnt what it used to be, such as the jump From the 3rd to 4rd gen, or the jump from 2D to 3D, that the increased power was necessary for that.

Nowadays, until VR or something of that nature becomes popular and so requires more power for its vision to truly come to life, the innovation amd new gameplay and game experiences will mostly lie on creativity and new ways to view game design.We already saw that happening with the Wii, and nowadays we see that everywhere:Games like Minecraft, Hollow Knight, Ori, and so on dont need the power of the PS5 and the Series X, or of that an cutting edge PC to bring their vision to life, because the power already available is more than enough.

This is one of the reasons why the Switch is still massively successful despite their "beefed up" competition, and the reason why its "simpler" games like Metroid Dread will attract (almost) as much attetion as a new Halo or a new Uncharted.

I mean, I cant believe how people havent figured this out yet after Nintendo and other smaller companies like Team Cherry and Mojang proved this time and time again.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Nah, I really think so.

People need to gey over the old sentiment that, for a game to be ambitious/Big/"worthwhile" it has to have the most cutting edge graphics, or that it has to be necessarily in 3D.

Ever since the 7th gen, graphics and the overall power has been losing importance in how good a game can be.While the additional power that the PS5 and Series X can provide new gaming experiences, such as with Rachet and Clank Rift Apart, it isnt what it used to be, such as the jump From the 3rd to 4rd gen, or the jump from 2D to 3D, that the increased power was necessary for that.

Nowadays, until VR or something of that nature becomes popular and so requires more power for its vision to truly come to life, the innovation amd new gameplay and game experiences will mostly lie on creativity and new ways to view game design.We already saw that happening with the Wii, and nowadays we see that everywhere:Games like Minecraft, Hollow Knight, Ori, and so on dont need the power of the PS5 and the Series X, or of that an cutting edge PC to bring their vision to life, because the power already available is more than enough.

This is one of the reasons why the Switch is still massively successful despite their "beefed up" competition, and the reason why its "simpler" games like Metroid Dread will attract (almost) as much attetion as a new Halo or a new Uncharted.

I mean, I cant believe how people havent figured this out yet after Nintendo and other smaller companies like Team Cherry and Mojang proved this time and time again.
Nintendo lost to forza horizon 5, "most anticipated game" on E3

Nintendo successful not because of the games, but because of the hardware.
Otherwise Wii U wont fail.

Nautilus

Banned
Nintendo lost to forza horizon 5, "most anticipated game" on E3

Nintendo successful not because of the games, but because of the hardware.
Otherwise Wii U wont fail.
The Wii U failed for a variety of reasons, not just games. Doesnt matter if you have great games if the console sucks(not that the Wii U was horrible, but wasnt what people wanted.And then there was the name, and the droughts, and so on), or if you have a great console with no games(This is the reason why the PS5 is selling better than the Series X).

But you knew that already.About Forza 5: I dont agree, but thats a matter of opinion.Not that racing games cant win, but forza is a franchise that has a new game almost every year, and they arent doing that many new things every year.Heck, I would imagine people are antecipating Halo Infinite(Given the last mainline Halo game released 5(?) years aho)way more than Forza.But thats me.

Spidey Fan

Banned
That Zelda will sell more than four times the number of copies Forza Horizon will. Most anticipated my ass. 😂
Forza has 25m player count. While breath of wild sold 20m copy.

Bow will sell alot, because it isn't on gamepass. And its legend of Zelda. Older than halo.

though, halo is the most anticipated game of 2021 outside of e3 vote. Its break or death.

Zeroing

Banned
Buy Bluepoint, before Microsoft does it. Old relation wont work, if Microsoft gives them 1Billion$. Also that returnal Studio.
Why does everyone think MS will keep buying studios? They want to make money! Not lose it
Fans are luck if some of the studios release games in 2 years, even luckier if MS doesn’t mismanaged the studios…. Phill spencer is still in charge, the same guy who was “giving freedom to the studios” and closed a bunch of them…

MS brought some studios, had a ok conference thanks to how awful E3 was and Xbox fans are already declaring the generation was won…
MS doesn’t need to do anything more, fans are happy and Phil is doing the usual PR hype stunts…

Last edited:

Spidey Fan

Banned
Why does everyone think MS will keep buying studios? They want to make money! Not lose it
Fans are luck if some of the studios release games in 2 years, even luckier if MS doesn’t mismanaged the studios…. Phill spencer is still in charge, the same guy who was “giving freedom to the studios” and closed a bunch of them…

MS brought some studios, had a ok conference thanks to how awful E3 was and Xbox fans are already declaring the generation was won…
MS doesn’t need to do anything more, fans are happy and Phil is doing the usual PR hype stunts…
If you are living under the rock, then I will have to tell you the reason.

Microsoft has gamepass. Everyone and their mothers knows it. In order to grow this gamepass thingy, Microsoft need games. But games don't magically drop from fairy island. They have to be made. And each it has has a 3-4-5 year game project. In order to make gamepass incentive, Microsoft need more studios.

So more studios equal more games being pumped for gamepass. The more games it has, the more subs it will gain. And the more sub it will gain, the more money Microsoft makes. Its a business that has a passive income. Goal for this is 50m subs.

50m gamepass subs at average 10$ is $500m from subs alone. Then you have to factor the dlc sales from those games. The mtx (cosmetic). Then the games people want to buy to keep it. That is more than $800m total, including the subs per month. Or $9.6 billion dollar a year.

I am underestimating the dlc and mtx sales from my math. Fortnite made $3 billion as a free game. Warzone made $4.3 billion from 100m players. Apex is projected to make $500m at the end of this year.

And since gamepass at the target of 50m has alot of subs, with alot games having cosmetic, you can imagine the amount of money it will generate. Then you add those dlc games. Then there is the group who wants to own their games, so they buy the games they like on gamepass. All those are sales for Microsoft. 30% cut per sale. 5$ is 1.5$ profit for them. If all gamepass people do $400m mtx, that is $120m on that month alone. And $400m is 8$ spent per gamepass player (50m) on that month. Same for dlc. Same for gamesales.

100m is where the real sales is. That is double of what I told you at 50m. 9.6*2= $19.2 billion a year.

Hope you see, why they need more studios.

And I hope Sony buys studios too. Because if Microsoft hits just 50m gamepass subs, I dont know how Sony will respond to that. Because that is a train that can't be stopped.

sinnergy

Microsoft has gamepass. Everyone and their mothers knows it. In order to grow this gamepass thingy, Microsoft need games. But games don't magically drop from fairy island. They have to be made. And each it has has a 3-4-5 year game project. In order to make gamepass incentive, Microsoft need more studios.

So more studios equal more games being pumped for gamepass. The more games it has, the more subs it will gain. And the more sub it will gain, the more money Microsoft makes. Its a business that has a passive income. Goal for this is 50m subs.

50m gamepass subs at average 10$ is $500m from subs alone. Then you have to factor the dlc sales from those games. The mtx (cosmetic). Then the games people want to buy to keep it. That is more than $800m total, including the subs per month. Or $9.6 billion dollar a year.

I am underestimating the dlc and mtx sales from my math. Fortnite made $3 billion as a free game. Warzone made $4.3 billion from 100m players. Apex is projected to make $500m at the end of this year.

And since gamepass at the target of 50m has alot of subs, with alot games having cosmetic, you can imagine the amount of money it will generate. Then you add those dlc games. Then there is the group who wants to own their games, so they buy the games they like on gamepass. All those are sales for Microsoft. 30% cut per sale. 5$ is 1.5$ profit for them. If all gamepass people do $400m mtx, that is $120m on that month alone. And $400m is 8$ spent per gamepass player (50m) on that month. Same for dlc. Same for gamesales.

100m is where the real sales is. That is double of what I told you at 50m. 9.6*2= $19.2 billion a year.

And I hope Sony buys studios too. Because if Microsoft hits just 50m gamepass subs, I dont know how Sony will respond to that. Because that is a train that can't be stopped.
All the doubters in here probably the same ones that Shouted Spotify and Netflix won’t make it 🤣

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
I predict a set of good looking cinematic third person games with similar control schemes.

Zeroing

Banned

My mother doesn’t know what gamepass is, she does know what a Nintendo or a PlayStation is… weird

yes I’ve heard of gamepass I had it… it’s is nice. Is it a game changer like what people on the internet are saying? No. Is it sustainable in the future? We don’t know. Will MS keep supporting it or abandon if a minimum hiccup happens? Possibly. Kinect was also a thing… we do not know gaming trends or how things will pan out in the future and we certainly do not know all the information behind the figures of the service. We just had PR numbers.

Zeroing

Banned
All the doubters in here probably the same ones that Shouted Spotify and Netflix won’t make it 🤣
? Nobody questioned Netflix or Spotify and those services had all the music brands and all the movie studios on it… that is why they got popular.

so that’s the difference but continue laughing, it doesn’t affect me if it’s “best next thing”

I just see a lot of people already talking about the service as if it conquered the world…

Spidey Fan

Banned
My mother doesn’t know what gamepass is, she does know what a Nintendo or a PlayStation is… weird

yes I’ve heard of gamepass I had it… it’s is nice. Is it a game changer like what people on the internet are saying? No. Is it sustainable in the future? We don’t know. Will MS keep supporting it or abandon if a minimum hiccup happens? Possibly. Kinect was also a thing… we do not know gaming trends or how things will pan out in the future and we certainly do not know all the information behind the figures of the service. We just had PR numbers.
You still clinging to that hope of its failure. Admit it, gamepass would change gaming landscape.

If Playstation haven't canned psnow, since they made, do you think Microsoft would just abandon it?

Man I would like to have what you smoking.
High GIF

yurinka

They shown GT7 gameplay last year already, the menu, campaign map etc., so there's no reason to stop showing more when the content is there. That 5h HFW countdown showed multiple environments, they can show one of them in new gameplay. They can't just sit there doing nothing for months, that's not how it works, they need to maintain the hype.
Sony is breaking game history record sales with PS5. PS4 almost the same (only 2,5 millions away from PS2 at its lifetime point) and also sold more games (over 1500 million games) than any other console in gaming history. And they don't sell more consoles because they can't due to the chips issue. MS instead isn't in the same position at all, it's way under that.

So Sony's marketing team is a beast and literally can't do it better. They may have decided to save the hype bullets for later, once more consoles get available.

In the recent months Sony released exclusives like Returnal, Ratchet, Guilty Gear Strive or FFVIIR Intergrade, bought Housemarque and Nixxes, shown Horizon 2 gameplay and announced 2nd party AAA new IPs from Raymond, the Destiny guys and the CoD guys. If there's someone sitting and doing nothing isn't Sony.

If Playstation haven't canned psnow, since they made, do you think Microsoft would just abandon it?
Unlike Gamepass for Xbox, PS Now is pretty profitable for Sony. Sony makes way more money from subscriptions than MS. Why should Sony can PS Now?

We know (via Sony IR meetings + patents) Sony is working on a PS Now 2.0 next gen version that will support PS5 games, will have clients on other devices like smartphones and tablets, will run under 5G and will include several tech improvements they have been patenting. It may even be involved with the images dataminers found in the Netflix app hinting a Netflix + Sony deal that would mean access to hundreds of millions of subscribers.

Last edited:

ksdixon

Only thing I care about that's rumored is tlou2 Factions/TLOU1 Remake.

I hope to Christ that fans of said series get their MGS/SH Reboots though.

Top Bottom