• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 22-28 | 2 Fast 2 Fuerte: Tokido Drift

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
A guy I know used to play fuerte before switching to rufus so he know's a lot of fuerte shit and my god is that match super frustrating

When I started out playing SF a couple years ago, I played my first guy who regularly went to tournaments for SF vanilla and he would always pick El Fuerte for my Gief. The matchup was horrendous for me at the time.

Anne

Mynus asked Ruu about Japan's take on Xrd while he was here. Apparently they're not fans of YRC either.

By getting your ass beat?

=) I HAD TO BRO I JUST CAN'T HELP MYSELF

He didn't have to see anything amazing. He saw the potential of the character through my play, pho realz.

BTW, that was a good game today from the Seahawks/Broncos game. Seattle dominated most of the time but Broncos D came through a few times and Manning had a incredible game tying drive at the end. But in OT Fox and company proved once again they refuse to adjust to Russel constantly rolling out of the pocket. That shit was free for him. Hopefully they learn something from this if these two teams meet again.

Also if it were up to me I would make OT a 5th 10 minute quarter that has to be played till completion. And if it's still a tie then it's a tie(besides the Postseason).

kirblar

I'm not surprised. I'm wondering what tweaks ASW can do to compromise at this point since they're not going to take it out.
Feels like whatever fix they make for it may need to wait for a large-scale title update, since it may need more than a minor tweak to get put into a good place.

Wiseblade

El Fuerte definitely moved to A tier in Ultra. The tools were there, we just hadn't seen someone put them together into a complete package yet. (iPeru was very much playing the old style Fuerte at WCW.) There's another Fuerte in Japanese arcades (Zeny53?) who's scary as well.

LOL NO.

Fuerte got a lot better for sure, but it's not like all his bad matchups went away overnight.

Nyoro SF

Fuerte's a wild card character. That's why he's dangerous in tournaments. Mago mentioned that ages ago, so it doesn't surprise me that nobody remembers.

Did he asked why? I'm a fan of YRC on paper tbh.

Ruu objects to the time manipulation of it. Rather than YRC to cover startup, you use it like a "gimme a slowdown" button; that's the part he doesn't like.

Anne

Did he asked why? I'm a fan of YRC on paper tbh.

from Mnyus' twitter:

"Also about YRC stopping time being too cheap @ 25% meter, and messes up the games pace. Red RC is really good tho he feels & I agree."

"The stupid part of YRC being the time slow, not the execution. YRC w/o time slow would be great/fine. All these parts put off a lot of OG's"

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I don't think I've seen Daigo so clueless before. Textbook example of not knowing a character match up. It doesn't matter about tier lists when you can run into someone who is an expert with said characters which you barely have any experience fighting against.

From what I've seen of Bayonetta 2, it may be the best game of it's type ever. The amount of craziness and action going on seems to be on another level. All the Nintendo costumes and such even has familiar signature attacks of the Nintendo characters. Max must be playing the import since the U.S release isn't for another month.

Infinite

Ruu objects to the time manipulation of it. Rather than YRC to cover startup, you use it like a "gimme a slowdown" button; that's the part he doesn't like.
from Mnyus' twitter:

"Also about YRC stopping time being too cheap @ 25% meter, and messes up the games pace. Red RC is really good tho he feels & I agree."

"The stupid part of YRC being the time slow, not the execution. YRC w/o time slow would be great/fine. All these parts put off a lot of OG's"

I see that make sense.

Bayonetta 2 probably won't be as good as The Wonderful 101.
lmao

Rhapsody

Banned
Feels like whatever fix they make for it may need to wait for a large-scale title update, since it may need more than a minor tweak to get put into a good place.

Yeah. If they take out the time slow and remove using it on really dumb stuff (like jump too), I could see a sequel update doing pretty well in Japan. Especially when they bring back more fan favorite veterans.

As of right now, YRC is the go to thing for meter, and it takes the least resources.

mbpm1

I know I'm late as fuck, but all the Japanese gods and U.S players lost to a fucking Fuerte?

Was in the FGC in a bizzaro world this last weekend?

Not just any Fuerte.

Right now I'd say that this is THE Fuerte. Same way Xian is THE Gen. I don't think I've seen better Fuerte play, ever. If this guy could come out, he would sweep many before him.

Unfortunately, I don't think this guy can come out, which is non-japanese have never heard of him

iPeru, manny Fuerte, Spab Rog, Zeny, lori, nobody has impressed me like this guy.

El Fuerte definitely moved to A tier in Ultra. The tools were there, we just hadn't seen someone put them together into a complete package yet. (iPeru was very much playing the old style Fuerte at WCW.) There's another Fuerte in Japanese arcades (Zeny53?) who's scary as well.

I think Fuerte got a lot better, but I wouldn't go that far. He's mid tier now IMO. I think part of the reason he won is because he ran into the right match ups. You have Evil Ryu and Sagat who are straight forward characters that can't rush down Fuerte and maul him. I think he was fortunate not to run into other characters like Kazunoko's Yun or Pugera's Ibuki. I don't know his good or bad match ups, I just feel like those two that are more mobile and are vortex/rushdown characters would have given him a much harder time. Which is why I believe Inco's Rufus was Pepe's hardest match up in Top 8 because he could more easily chase him down.

And after watching Daigo's match against Pepe again. I gotta question whether Daigo knows how to punish Qbomb or not. A point blank Qbomb and Evil Ryu still needs to walk forward a bit to connect sweep or low forward. From further away only Ultra 1 or LK axe kick works and Daigo wasn't attempting that. Overall he did pretty good against Pepe, but Fuerte's smaller hurt box practically won him a couple rounds and that 1st match. Bonchan could use the same punish he had before. He could also punish with U2, but I guess he preferred the more damaging Ultra 1 whenever he could connect DP, FADC. Anyways the guy was great but I doubt we'll see him outside of Japan much maybe just besides next years EVO so I don't think he'll be someone that top players really have to worry about just because of his inability to travel, same goes for Nemo.

I like Pro Fluke's Fuerte more.

Fuerte is 100% not an A-tier character. If you can do run-stop combos reliably he might be B+.

Once upon a time there was a member by the name of Degen who loved terrorizing FGW (at least he tried to), he loved attention, he loved challenging everyone and always had the mentality that he was the best. Then one day, someone kicked his ass so bad that he split into two different personalities and was never really heard from again. Until now.

Those personalities came to be known as Rockturtle and Bakedyams. Rock is the I'm the best always challenging everyone, going yolo part of Degen while Yams is the I like picking big bodies, never shutting up, putting his two cents into everything part. One day these two personalities will come together and Degen will be reborn once again.

C91BuWA.gif

Once Rock and Yams beat me, then they can fuse.

Wiseblade

I think Fuerte got a lot better, but I wouldn't go that far. He's mid tier now IMO. I think part of the reason he won is because he ran into the right match ups. You have Evil Ryu and Sagat who are straight forward characters that can't rush down Fuerte and maul him. I think he was fortunate not to run into other characters like Kazunoko's Yun or Pugera's Ibuki. I don't know his good or bad match ups, I just feel like those two that are more mobile and are vortex/rushdown characters would have given him a much harder time. Which is why I believe Inco's Rufus was Pepe's hardest match up in Top 8 because he could more easily chase him down.

And after watching Daigo's match against Pepe again. I gotta question whether Daigo knows how to punish Qbomb or not. A point blank Qbomb and Evil Ryu still needs to walk forward a bit to connect sweep or low forward. From further away only Ultra 1 or LK axe kick works and Daigo wasn't attempting that. Overall he did pretty good against Pepe, but Fuerte's smaller hurt box practically won him a couple rounds and that 1st match. Bonchan could use the same punish he had before. He could also punish with U2, but I guess he preferred the more damaging Ultra 1 whenever he could connect DP, FADC. Anyways the guy was great but I doubt we'll see him outside of Japan much maybe just besides next years EVO so I don't think he'll be someone that top players really have to worry about just because of his inability to travel, same goes for Nemo.

Ibuki's not bad at all. She doesn't really have the tools to escape his mixup and Guac does a good job controlling the air. Yun however, is an absolute nightmare.

I like Pro Fluke's Fuerte more.

Fuerte is 100% not an A-tier character. If you can do run-stop combos reliably he might be B+.

I have chosen to take this as a personal insult.

Chavelo

I get the chance to play Justin Wong and Angelic on Marvel this weekend and all I have been doing is playing WoW and watching Trailer Park Boys.

I'm gonna go 0-2, guaranteed. :(

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Excellent OT OP. Will be tuning in to many of these streams.

mbpm1

Had a weird dream where Spooky and I traveled back in time to the 90s to solve a crime where the victim's last act was playing sf2 at an arcade. He kept filming everything we did and Jwong was there somehow but all he did was run around shopping and touring the various arcades.

alstein

Fuerte's a wild card character. That's why he's dangerous in tournaments. Mago mentioned that ages ago, so it doesn't surprise me that nobody remembers.

Top players tend to not like Fuerte style characters due to the fact they're a lot more high-risk than they like. High-risk rarely wins tournies.

I think they're also disadvantages in long sets because any sort of tell you have becomes more damaging.

I had this MU over the weekend, I decided to play lame and wait it out.

Same, though this one's bought a health boost off the upgrade shop. Gonna be a long match I think. In addition to fever and slime factory tactics this one also knows how to play the hacking cough game. Nasty stuff.

At OP. Can we have scantily clad Sonic characters? FOR THE FANFICS!

THAT IS FALCO!

Gema_yue is going in on Smash Bros. Almost fully completed it.
Also this

KI season 2 rebalance is live. MrGrimmmz is streaming it. http://www.twitch.tv/grimmmz

Ah man, this'll be great. Since I live in Europe and didn't have access to Season 2 yet or have the ability to watch one my favourite streamers at 3 in the morning, I guess I can now.
"Mr Grimmz is behind a subscription pay-wall. Ha Europe. That's your fault for living in the wrong timezone". Wow fuck this.

I think he was fortunate not to run into other characters like Kazunoko's Yun or Pugera's Ibuki.
I think this guy beat Kazanoko already at topanga didn't he? In that team tourney and sako's Ibuki.

I'm behind on all this I need to catch the archives.

I don't think Fuerte is op though. People just don't like fighting him like Blanka.

alstein

IMO, not if there's a lot of characters.

Having lots of characters increases the odds of Hondas and Dee Jays popping up, but it doesn't make it a bad thing if everyone is viable.

The ideal roster size for a 1vs1 game is somewhere between 12 and 18

I'm trying to learn that matchup myself. I'm using the tech of Vitamin C tablets but I'm not sure how effective it is.

Personally I've been maining Lemsip Max with Honey as assist and brown sugar on anchor. Doing pretty well so far as I've managed to knock out ComCol| Cough and ComCol| Sore Eyez but I think my opponent CoCo| Sneeze is catching on to the tech :/

Top Bottom