• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 22-28 | 2 Fast 2 Fuerte: Tokido Drift

DunpealD

I think Fuerte got a lot better, but I wouldn't go that far. He's mid tier now IMO. I think part of the reason he won is because he ran into the right match ups. You have Evil Ryu and Sagat who are straight forward characters that can't rush down Fuerte and maul him. I think he was fortunate not to run into other characters like Kazunoko's Yun or Pugera's Ibuki. I don't know his good or bad match ups, I just feel like those two that are more mobile and are vortex/rushdown characters would have given him a much harder time. Which is why I believe Inco's Rufus was Pepe's hardest match up in Top 8 because he could more easily chase him down.

You mean like meeting Fuudo, Kazunoko and Tokido at Topanga Charity Cup 4?

Fun fact: EX Pugera was Pepedays teammate there. If you take a look at the match before Pepedays you can see Pugera play against Fuudo.

Obviously it's only one match so there is not that much take from. It's nice to see some unfamiliar faces to come out of the woodwork though.

Laconic

Banned
Having lots of characters increases the odds of Hondas and Dee Jays popping up, but it doesn't make it a bad thing if everyone is viable.

The ideal roster size for a 1vs1 game is somewhere between 12 and 18

I'd be willing to go as high as 25, after iteration, and agree with you 100%.

Less is more.

Having lots of characters increases the odds of Hondas and Dee Jays popping up, but it doesn't make it a bad thing if everyone is viable.

The ideal roster size for a 1vs1 game is somewhere between 12 and 18

It's a bad thing if the viable character is a cancer like Elf is.

As far as roster size goes, a lot of that depends on the game IMO. Something like SF4 or GG is really matchup-heavy and you have to know a lot of esoterica to be able to play truly well. Contrast KOF13 where the gameplay is much more generalized - a common skeleton + character spice, if you will, instead of the character matchup determining most of the gameplay. KOF13 design can handle a larger cast IMO. A 40-character GG would probably just make me quit.

Laconic

Banned

As far as roster size goes, a lot of that depends on the game IMO. Something like SF4 or GG is really matchup-heavy and you have to know a lot of esoterica to be able to play truly well. Contrast KOF13 where the gameplay is much more generalized - a common skeleton + character spice, if you will, instead of the character matchup determining most of the gameplay. KOF13 design can handle a larger cast IMO. A 40-character GG would probably just make me quit.

A successfully executed 40-character GG would be damned hard to even achieve conceptually.

That'd entail what - at least 10 more characters that would need unique styles, considering that unique play for each individual character is a principle defining characteristic of what it means to be a GG game.

alstein

Everyone has different ideas on what is a cancer.

Some folks consider Ryu a cancer, some consider Yun a cancer, others Blanka.

Beckx

Liking the option to choose slo-mo in training mode on Smash 3DS. Really helps me see what's going on with specific moves and where they hit.

I have chosen to take this as a personal insult.

Just checked and saw that you're also going to be at RFD. In that regard:

MONEYMATCH BLAD

I don't actually moneymatch... see you there! :D

Pro Fluke will be there too. I'd actually really like to see two UK Fuerte players playing. I'll put up a £10 prize for the winner of a FT5 or something. :)

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
http://youtu.be/DaHoP0tiHW4

Akira looks surprisingly cool and rather faithful in DBFC.

looks like a solid adaptation of the character - even seeing moves like guard breaks and half circulars which i didn't expect to see in a 2D game. Wish his damage were there though XD

one thing to note is that akira has two dashing elbows in VF- 66P and 666P. you can differentiate them by whether or not he switches which side he's facing after the move. 666P is arguably the best mid in Virtua Fighter, but the elbow that carried into DBFC seems to be 66P. Not that it matters. it doesn't.

lol @ the GBOD super!

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Whyyyy do people on GAF main the most annoying characters in SF4? I swear this place is full of Dhalsim, Blanka, El Fuerte, Honda, Dee Jay and rotate-a-shoto players.
that's like a third of the roster! do you find that many characters annoying? maybe you should play kof!

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Whyyyy do people on GAF main the most annoying characters in SF4? I swear this place is full of Dhalsim, Blanka, El Fuerte, Honda, Dee Jay, Hawk and rotate-a-shoto players.

Yep.

Can't speak for the rest, but I pick who look, sound and play fun to me, regardless of how "good" they are. After that I usually try to pick characters that no one plays.

So that's why I play and like Fuerte, Blanka, Dee Jay, Honda, Makoto, and a few others. Evil Ryu I played for a bit as well, but I hear that he's all over online since USF4 came out.

The whole tournament is uploaded here https://www.youtube.com/user/MadCatzCompany/videos

He's definitely in the later videos, but you can check out the earlier ones too (I haven't watched it all yet).

Thanks, I actually came here specifically to see if anyone cut out all of his matches, because navigating Twitch archives isn't the most fun thing to do.

Top Bottom