• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 22-28 | 2 Fast 2 Fuerte: Tokido Drift

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Every year Wizard asks about the line up and every year the ASW community goes through the same thing.

Has ASW ever had two games appearing concurrently as EVO main events?

I think just about every other major fighting game developer/publisher besides SNK has had that privilege at least once or twice. and SNK's is because they only ever make the one thing anymore.

Busaiku

It's funny to see people treat KI as some sort of staple when last year people were guessing that it was going to be TvC status
gRYG8Lm.gif

Compbros

Injustice is an odd pick.

I think the big question is this: Melee and Smash 4, or just Smash 4?

If Smash 4 is good enough and the entrants are there it'll probably just be Smash 4.

Edit:

It's funny to see people treat KI as some sort of staple when last year people were guessing that it was going to be TvC status

If MS is sponsoring again then KI is a given. Also, I find it funny that Sony was a sponsor of EVO and it run on the PS3 (inferior console for multiplats) for years then it switches to MS and when the switch to current gen happens it'll be running the inferior multiplat console again.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

Well it seems like Evo at least tries to get one game from each collective community, and KI doesn't seem to get lumped together with any other game like airdash games, Neatherealm games and 3D game seem to.

Anne

Has ASW ever had two games appearing concurrently as EVO main events?

I think just about every other major fighting game developer/publisher besides SNK has had that privilege at least once or twice. and SNK's is because they only ever make the one thing anymore.

The different permutations of GGXX were in for a few years running until the blow up happened.

The ASW community has usually just hopped games anyways so I can't blame anybody, but that's started to somewhat change. There are more player divides between individual games these days, so I'm not a fan of just one "anime" slot afforded to a community split like this. I'd imagine if Evo wasn't ran the way it is this would be a different story, but not much to do about that right now.

Compbros

Evo will have to get PS4s and Wii Us regardless.
Many games won't even be on X-Box One.

For what? Only exclusive fighters for PS4 right now are Xrd and Injustice (skullgirls looks to be PS4 first as well) but they're all on previous gen consoles. There's no reason to "have" to pick up a PS4 for fighters except games'll probably run better on it than XB1.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
seems like there'll be more runoff with KI/MKX than GG/MKX lol... if there's true parity between the PS3 and PS4 versions of Xrd, they'll get the PS3 one because more people will have PS3 sticks.

I can't imagine Evo going to PS4s unless they're getting sponsored by Sony.
There's still the problem of nobody having sticks for the PS4.

Is MKX not cross-gen?

kirblar

Melee is logistically obnoxious for them, I would be shocked if they ran both. (I'm not sure Nintendo would want them running both either.)

I went with Injustice because MKX is probably going to be run on PS4 and will be released a few months prior to EVO, so giving the NRS players that game in case they have accessibility issues seems fair.
No, if they already have the XB1's why would they grab PS4's?
Because PS4's likely going to win out as the tournament standard.

I wonder if MKX will replace Injustice, but I guess NRS can afford to pay for both games to get in just like last year. Are the games similar enough for people to effectively practice both at high level simultaneously?

AAK

EVO is sponsored by MS. They'll most probably get xb1s for MKX.

I dunno if this will happen, but there might be an off chance for DOA5:LR to get an EVO slot if evo crew want to give it a chance.

kirblar

The tournament standard's irrelevant when they ran Capcom games on PS3 for years.
That was due to them having the consoles on hand provided from a Sony sponsorship deal years ago, I thought? They switched to XBOX when MS ponied up for them.

Probably depends on if Sony offers em up.

Anth0ny

And with that tweet, the Smash Wars have begun.

Prepare for a bunch of bullshit from now until Evo. Even after the games are announced.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
The different permutations of GGXX were in for a few years running until the blow up happened.

The ASW community has usually just hopped games anyways so I can't blame anybody, but that's started to somewhat change. There are more player divides between individual games these days, so I'm not a fan of just one "anime" slot afforded to a community split like this. I'd imagine if Evo wasn't ran the way it is this would be a different story, but not much to do about that right now.

Well I meant in the sense that the Namco has had both Soul Calibur and Tekken one year, or Injustice and MK9 being there the same year. Or Melee and Brawl.

but I think you answered my question anyways with the "one anime slot" comment.

I'd love to see both BB and Xrd appear as events. It'd be a shame if BB got canned after its strong showing last year. but it feels like out of the major fighting game publishers, ASW seems to have the lowest priority when it comes to EVO representation, despite the BB and GG crowd being just as split as SC and Tekken or Marvel and SF

Compbros

I wonder if MKX will replace Injustice, but I guess NRS can afford to pay for both games to get in just like last year. Are the games similar enough for people to effectively practice both at high level simultaneously?

I have to wonder where this "NRS/WB pays for their games to get in" narrative comes from. Regardless, no, Injustice/MK9 is ridiculously different. It's like asking if knowing Tekken allows you to play Soul Calibur 5 effectively because they're both 3D.

Stuff like movement, character weight and hitbox size are alot more universal in KoF.

Vs in GG where you have generally have character specific tactics and combos because of all of those factors

And there are a lot of universtal techniques in Tekken, not seeing how its exempt.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I have to wonder where this "NRS/WB pays for their games to get in" narrative comes from. Regardless, no, Injustice/MK9 is ridiculously different. It's like asking if knowing Tekken allows you to play Soul Calibur 5 effectively because they're both 3D.

I think the problem isn't how different the games are, because that argument can be made for every individual game.

I think the problem people had with both being included is that there seems to be alot of crossover between the top players of both games. So it felt like a small community was getting alot of representation, while other potentially larger communities were getting funneled into one game. (BBCP for ASW players)

jbug617

Banned
They will probably run GG Xrd on PS3. Cross-play between PS3 and PS4 means they are probably hitting the same FPS but just different resolution.

I don't think we see tournaments turn to XB1 and PS4 till Capcom makes their next game on those consoles.

Anne

Well I meant in the sense that the Namco has had both Soul Calibur and Tekken one year, or Injustice and MK9 being there the same year. Or Melee and Brawl.

but I think you answered my question anyways with the "one anime slot" comment.

I'd love to see both BB and Xrd appear as events. It'd be a shame if BB got canned after its strong showing last year. but it feels like out of the major fighting game publishers, ASW seems to have the lowest priority when it comes to EVO representation, despite the BB and GG crowd being just as split as SC and Tekken or Marvel and SF

Tbf in some regards I don't think Evo has anything against the ASW community, it's just how the ASW community has been spotty for years and how Evo has limited slots for mainstage games.

Now the ASW community is proving to be more responsible, the games are being more well represented, devs are supporting more etc. Hell, BBCP had the largest pot and was one of the best tournaments at Evo this year and that's a huge step up from a couple years ago.

Are you guys pumped to play GGXrd for a month and never play it again? I am.

Prophecies, etc.

kirblar

The year Injustice came out, it wasn't originally on the schedule, and got added in last minute. (Same w/ TTT2 to a lesser degree this year.)

Compbros

I think the problem people had with both being included is that there seems to be alot of crossover between the top players of both games. So it felt like a small community was getting alot of representation, while other potentially larger communities were getting funneled into one game. (BBCP for ASW players)

That may be the case but Injustice was the new thing and EVO tends to put the newer stuff in if the name is big enough. MK9 was announced before the game was released, same with Marvel 3. USFIV got in with, what, a month between release and EVO? That's the case for Injustice not to mention it was one of the highest entered games for the regionals/majors before EVO.

MK9, as late as NEC 2012, was getting 110+ entrants. It was constantly one of the highest entered games at events. People want their game in EVO? Go to events and keep numbers up.

Azure J

At the same time I see a better shelf life and initial showing for Smash 4 than we got with Brawl's first year, I don't want to run into that EVO 2008 (9?) situation where the game on the stage isn't frenetic enough/as developed on a PvP side and people cast Smash out again.

Being the eternal optimist I am, I would love a situation where Melee and Smash 4 get big events, but I wonder how it'd be to pull off in a satisfactory manner on the TO side.

Edit: Man I played Marvel for two years and still lab in it from time to time. I'm sure I'll be playing Xrd for at least 16 - 20 months/anime game lifespans.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
They will probably run GG Xrd on PS3. Cross-play between PS3 and PS4 means they are probably hitting the same FPS but just different resolution.

I don't think we see tournaments turn to XB1 and PS4 till Capcom makes their next game on those consoles.

I think that's fine. Most PS4 sticks coming out are compatible with both platforms anyways.

Tbf in some regards I don't think Evo has anything against the ASW community, it's just how the ASW community has been spotty for years and how Evo has limited slots for mainstage games.

Now the ASW community is proving to be more responsible, the games are being more well represented, devs are supporting more etc. Hell, BBCP had the largest pot and was one of the best tournaments at Evo this year and that's a huge step up from a couple years ago.

Yeah I wasn't trying to push an agenda. Just making an observation and wondering if it was correct.(That there have never really been two concurrent ASW games as Evo main events)

I hope BBCP's showing last year puts it up for consideration this year, even though I don't play the game.

That may be the case but Injustice was the new thing and EVO tends to put the newer stuff in if the name is big enough. MK9 was announced before the game was released, same with Marvel 3. USFIV got in with, what, a month between release and EVO? That's the case for Injustice not to mention it was one of the highest entered games for the regionals/majors before EVO.

FYI we don't think Injustice is the only case of moneyhatting evo spots.

petghost

Banned

man...you guys are a bummer. the whole predicting a games death before it even comes out is so fucking tiresome man.

but yeah im also not sure if Xrd is gonna be a game for everyone. not even all GG players.

Anne

I think that's fine. Most PS4 sticks coming out are compatible with both platforms anyways.

Yeah I wasn't trying to push an agenda. Just making an observation and wondering if it was correct.(That there have never really been two concurrent ASW games as Evo main events)

I hope BBCP's showing last year puts it up for consideration this year, even though I don't play the game.

I just have to say that because enough people try to push that agenda and I don't want to come off that way.

Compbros

The year Injustice came out, it wasn't originally on the schedule, and got added in last minute. (Same w/ TTT2 to a lesser degree this year.)

That could be because of the entrants it was getting at events. TTT2 this year was just like "we're adding Tekken" after the roster was finalized but I never hear "they payed their way in". I just figured that it was a fact or there was some type of proof towards WB/NRS buying their way in instead of speculation being presented as fact.

FYI we don't think Injustice is the only case of moneyhatting evo spots.

See, the "think" part bugs me. I've seen post after post in several sites and forums of people saying "NRS buys their way in", "moneyhat", etc. No one really knows but someone that doesn't know it's speculation can just see so many people saying it and believe it's fact. That goes for other games that this may have happened to but I'm new-ish to the FGC so I've mostly seen MK9/IGAU/NRS/WB stuff. I've seen a bit of KI as well.

A month? You give me too much credit.

Azure J

And with that tweet, the Smash Wars have begun.

Prepare for a bunch of bullshit from now until Evo. Even after the games are announced.

I'm already seeing it in like EVERY SMASH STREAM CHAT EVER. I have a pretty high tolerance for Twitch chat-isms and knew what to expect but somehow still was not mentally ready for the high octane trolling and ig'nance being thrown about.

Ya'll make it sound like a bad thing that a game can pay it's way into a slot. More money, more players and more resources for tournaments aren't bad things and if the big players can bring that then it's all good.
Probably gonna skip it until they add Anji or Baiken.

iunno

Top Bottom