• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dusk Golem reiterates that the Xbox will be more powerful than the PS5 (Admitted to starting console wars, demodded)

Nah. That's definitely ray-traced. The quality is too good to be SSR.

I think Alex just goofed on the observation until Insomniac confirmed it.

He goofs a lot lol

Btw, as i'm not savvy in PC tech and looking to build a new PC end of the year, interested to know what's your take on these ampere rumours with the 12pin connector? Latest rumour is board partners will use 3 x 8 pin while Nvidia will use a 12 pin. Got any insight?

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
He goofs a lot lol

Btw, as i'm not savvy in PC tech and looking to build a new PC end of the year, interested to know what's your take on these ampere rumours with the 12pin connector? Latest rumour is board partners will use 3 x 8 pin while Nvidia will use a 12 pin. Got any insight?

I read that article too.. I'm not sure what I think about that. I just better have a way to put that card on my current mb. I have a modular PSU so if they offer the plugs, I'll buy and that'll be that. Adapters I'm ok with too. Just not wanting to build a new mb/CPU right now.

GHG

BareRewardingHuman-max-1mb.gif

thelastword

Banned
Hahaha! Looks like Dusk Crap done his job. Sony show games running on PS5 @4K. Some at 4K 60fps. Confirmed by Code masters that their game will be 4K60. Yet Dusk Shite states a game in development isn't running as desired. Internet runs with the rumour and lo and behold PS5 struggling with 1080p60. Lmfao. Some people........
He's even admitted he only stated this to even out the negative press Xbox was getting.
Yet 25 pages later PS5 will struggle with 4K?
There sure are some rabbid fanboys and some really thick people too. Fanboys I can understand but stupidity.......
Xbox fans believe that the only way to counter the self-made negative XBOX news is to manufacture negative PS5 news....

Infamy v1

I'm not sure why Sony fanboys are so desperate that they need to create fake news/false titles to make themselves feel better. Dusk never admitted to ANY of that, and he stepped down from the mod position due to being overwhelmed with all this bullshit (this is why we have so very few insiders), taking a paid position at a Biohazard website (mods dont get paid), and a few other things. Mods step down all the time; trying to correlate him starting console wars (which never happened) as a reason for being demodded is pretty cringy, especially since the posters in question raving on about it all seem to be massive console warriors themselves (i.e., projection at its finest).

Ironically, I'm pretty sure Dusk doesn't even own an Xbox One. If he does he never talks about it. He regularly plays on a PS4Pro and iirc he has 2 PS4Pros and a base PS4. I don't think I've ever even seen him mention owning a Switch. He is also a regular in many Playstation-centered topics and has been for years.

JFC, when I need to stand up for a mod on that shitty website, you know theres something wrong...

Ar¢tos

Embarrassing lol. Having to admit they LIED and their excuse was "there was too much bad news about Xbox, so I felt compelled to make up bad news about PlayStation".

And the Xbox crowd ran with it. This whole anti-PS5 campaign has been FUD after FUD. It seems a bit desperate.
They are desperate.
Their Console is 4 months away and not a single game was shown running on a Devkit. Their biggest title looks bad after 5 years of development and had to be delayed.
All this FUD is just the start. It's going to increase exponentially from now on.

Nickolaidas

I have just rewatched RE8 trailer and performance is indeed not good :(. If PS5 is struggling so much, then XSX can struggle too (it's not like XSX is much faster than PS5).

Final retail version will be optimized, have no fear. It'll be 60fps, unless they go cinematic ultra and go 40fps. But judging by RE7, RE2make and RE3make, it'll be 60fps.

demigod

I'm not sure why Sony fanboys are so desperate that they need to create fake news/false titles to make themselves feel better. Dusk never admitted to ANY of that, and he stepped down from the mod position due to being overwhelmed with all this bullshit (this is why we have so very few insiders), taking a paid position at a Biohazard website (mods dont get paid), and a few other things. Mods step down all the time; trying to correlate him starting console wars (which never happened) as a reason for being demodded is pretty cringy, especially since the posters in question raving on about it all seem to be massive console warriors themselves (i.e., projection at its finest).

Ironically, I'm pretty sure Dusk doesn't even own an Xbox One. If he does he never talks about it. He regularly plays on a PS4Pro and iirc he has 2 PS4Pros and a base PS4. I don't think I've ever even seen him mention owning a Switch. He is also a regular in many Playstation-centered topics and has been for years.

JFC, when I need to stand up for a mod on that shitty website, you know theres something wrong...

Another sucker is born each day. We got another unpaid astroturfer here boys.

I have just rewatched RE8 trailer and performance is indeed not good :(. If PS5 is struggling so much, then XSX can struggle too (it's not like XSX is much faster than PS5).

Game is a year our I wouldn't worry about either version

The only thing stopping either version reaching 4K 60 (dynamic or otherwise) is incompetence

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
And he keeps going, poor attention seeking wh*re that now has to "one last thread" on Twitter to get some pats on the back...

Bonus track: Now Timdog is comforting him

"I've been thinking a lot about internet ostracization."

lol that's adorable. An ERA member thinking a lot about internet ostracization.

Sorry, no pity for humans who willingly became snakes.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

<- Devils Advocate.

It would be hard to tell that those reflections are raytraced at first glance because as Alex said they could be SSR + Cubemaps.
Nothing "seemingly" dynamic in the scene is off screen to eliminate the chance of it being some high quality SSR that having all the extra GPU power would be able to afford.
A simple thing they could have done in the screenshot to show RT reflections is have Spidermans fingers not be so close to the ground, with RT reflections we would have been able to see a reflection of the underside of his fingers (that isnt visible on screen) so couldnt be SSR.
I think his thumbs reflection is pretty telling

Before you bite my head off, im not saying it isnt RT reflections just pointing out that from the screenshot it would be difficult to know if it is or isnt RT because nothing in the screenshot is showing off the advantages of RT.
If this is the beginning of the generation...gat damn

John Wick

What's so hard to understand? RE8 will be optimized to run at 4K dynamic on PS5.

PS5 GPU will not stay at 2.2GHz all the time, so it will be 18% performance gap in the best scenario.
How do you know RE8 will be 4K dynamic? Are you working on the game?
No game in existence runs the GPU 100% load all the time. So the GPU doesn't need to be at 2.23GHZ all the time. It's done on a frame to frame basis. You need to stop peddling this nonsense. The GPU can dip from 2.23GHZ to 2.2GHZ and that would save power.
Same for the CPU as well.

Tschumi

So the guy made "fake news" about his pet console to try and bring parity to a rightly lopsided debate about a future competition for sales. At least he owned up to it. Fair few others act like they're the sunlight shining outta god's own arse~

pawel86ck

Banned
How do you know RE8 will be 4K dynamic? Are you working on the game?
No game in existence runs the GPU 100% load all the time. So the GPU doesn't need to be at 2.23GHZ all the time. It's done on a frame to frame basis. You need to stop peddling this nonsense. The GPU can dip from 2.23GHZ to 2.2GHZ and that would save power.
Same for the CPU as well.
Considering RE8 has problems even at 1080p I think 4K dynamic will be a great result.

PS5 GPU has variable clock, deal with it.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Wait are people criticizing him for saying that those reflections in a screenshot could be SSR?

They absolutely could be lol. They're little puddles that seem to be reflecting things that are on the screen.

Are they ray traced? Absolutely possible, probably very likely so since it's a PS4 game port essentially.

Could they be SSR? Absolutely.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned

Like a mere 30MHz will make any difference.... Anywya, 4K is 100% dependent on the GPU, the CPU, RAM etc. are so far from being the bottleneck at 4K it's not even funny. Maybe if you aim to lock your games behind 30FPS wall then sure, the GPU might not be fully saturated, but the moment you unlock the frametare/turn VRR on it will start to sweat like a motherfucker.

Journey

Banned
Keep telling yourself that.

Its gone from:

1. After seeing specs: Xbox is 12tflops and significantly more powerful than PS5
2. After seeing games: Xbox is more powerful, please believe us?

:messenger_winking:

Reminds me of the PS2 vs Xbox days when Halo didn’t really impress people, talking about Red Faction being superior and how they saw nothing special in Halo, and they had a point, graphically Halo wasn’t really pushing any boundaries until Halo 2 revamped its cutscenes. Gran Turismo blew away the first Forza game and every other racing game on Xbox, but look at Forza now.

Dead or Alive 3 on the other hand was a beautiful showcase of the Xbox power and it wasn’t until games like Splinter Cell hit that we started to see what the power difference was about.

We can’t be stupid and ignore the data, otherwise we sound like Xbox One fans pointing out how Amazeballz Ryse: Son of Rome looks compared to Killzone, I guess we should’ve ignored 1.84 vs 1.4 back then?

We need to give the games some time and stop arguing nonsense, there’s plenty of time for these machines to show what they can do, no need to argue now when the head to heads down the road are not too far off, we can revisit these threads and laugh at all the fanboys denying science and facts lol

pawel86ck

Banned
Reminds me of the PS2 vs Xbox days when Halo didn’t really impress people, talking about Red Faction being superior and how they saw nothing special in Halo, and they had a point, graphically Halo wasn’t really pushing any boundaries until Halo 2 revamped its cutscenes. Gran Turismo blew away the first Forza game and every other racing game on Xbox, but look at Forza now.

Dead or Alive 3 on the other hand was a beautiful showcase of the Xbox power and it wasn’t until games like Splinter Cell hit that we started to see what the power difference was about.

We can’t be stupid and ignore the data, otherwise we sound like Xbox One fans pointing out how Amazeballz Ryse: Son of Rome looks compared to Killzone, I guess we should’ve ignored 1.84 vs 1.4 back then?

We need to give the games some time and stop arguing nonsense, there’s plenty of time for these machines to show what they can do, no need to argue now when the head to heads down the road are not too far off, we can revisit these threads and laugh at all the fanboys denying science and facts lol
Halo 1 was very impressive graphically and not a single FPS game on PS2 game can compare to it. Lighting effects, bump mapping everywhere, water with pixel shaders, big levels, detailed textures. Halo was a real DX8 showcase in 2001. Red faction on PS2, or even Killzone 1 looks like a joke compared to Halo 1.

I was extremely impressed with Gran Turismo 3-4 on PS2 (in fact I even sold my PC back then just to buy PS2 with GT3), but I know now Polyphony was using many interesting tricks just to hide imperfections and hardware limitations. For example compare something like PGR2 on xbox to Gran Turismo on PS2. Polyphony was using dark windows because cars interiors werent detailed at all. Car reflections looked also worse, there wasnt any dynamic shadows, trees werent as detailed, draw distance wasnt as impressive, water wasnt as detailed (PGR2 was using pixel shaders for water rendering). Details wise there was no comparison between PGR2 and Gran Turismo 3-4, but overall gran turismo games still looked very good. Sometimes developers can still achieve good results with less HW resources thanks to such tricks.

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned
I dont care for that bullshit.

- Less Loading Times
- 3D Sound
- Haptic Feedback

Thats more important to me than 4K/60 FPS. I will buy a nice OLED TV soon with ULTRA HD and 3D Sound aswell

Never cared much for 30 FPS vs. 60 FPS. If its there its nice but i dont realize it anyway. There will be a small graphical update on the new games but thats more than enough for me. I already lovethe design in Ghosts of Tsushima, HZD and Odyssey

Last edited:

John Wick

Like a mere 30MHz will make any difference.... Anywya, 4K is 100% dependent on the GPU, the CPU, RAM etc. are so far from being the bottleneck at 4K it's not even funny. Maybe if you aim to lock your games behind 30FPS wall then sure, the GPU might not be fully saturated, but the moment you unlock the frametare/turn VRR on it will start to sweat like a motherfucker.
A drop of 10% on either CPU or GPU saves 27% power according to the lead architect Mark Cerny. So how much would a 5% drop save? Maybe your not listening? No game in existence taxes the GPU 100% all the time.

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
Is it just me who has no idea who "Dusk Golem" is? :messenger_neutral:

John Wick

Considering RE8 has problems even at 1080p I think 4K dynamic will be a great result.

PS5 GPU has variable clock, deal with it.
So your making a guess because one guy said game is having problems even though it's in development with plenty of time to optimise and polish eh?
Deal with what? The CPU and GPU have variable clock. Developers will have to deal with it not consumers

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
You are not rendering off-screen buildings with SSR or planar reflections. Period.

What?
Cubemaps and Planar reflections let things that are off screen be reflected.
Its the prime reason they existed for so long.....hell alot of games still use Cubemaps and reflection probes as Skydomes, so you mean if you cant actually see the sun on screen the reflection of it on carpaint or whatever disappears?

Do you know what you are talking about?

What?
Cubemaps and Planar reflections let things that are off screen be reflected.
Its the prime reason they existed for so long.....hell alot of games still use Cubemaps and reflection probes as Skydomes, so you mean if you cant actually see the sun on screen the reflection of it on carpaint or whatever disappears?

Do you know what you are talking about?

Planar reflections you have to render scenes twice. You are not rendering what isn't even visible on screen. Same limitation as SSR, except more costly.

Cube maps are your only argument, but like VFX pointed they reflections are too good a quality to be that

Either way, alex wasn't refering to cubemaps. So your argument is irrelevent.

Last edited:
Top Bottom