• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dusk Golem: PS5 costs around $600 at launch to produce

Vawn

Banned
the 5th best selling home console had to cut the price to 400€ under 6 month from releasing. Stop being dumb with comparison

What's dumb is people who pretend that the PS3 was some kind of colossal failure, when it outsold every Xbox console and every Nintendo console except the Wii.

vkbest

What's dumb is people who pretend that the PS3 was some kind of colossal failure, when it outsold every Xbox console and every Nintendo console except the Wii.

PS3 was a failure compared to other home consoles. PS3 was no selling even in Europe at 600€ being the biggest market for Sony ever. They had to cut the price to 400€ to be competitive

kuncol02

Banned
But then they save money on the GPU, due to having fewer CU's, which is typically the most expensive component in a console, IIRC.
Their GPU is smaller, but working on much higher frequency which will lower yield of chips. MS can also use partially not working chips in XSS. That will lower production cost of XSX, Sony need to discard them.

sendit

The APU is the most expensive component in a console. The PS5 SSD isn't $300. I don't know where this nonsense keeps on coming from?

That’s the MSRP price of a comparable SSD drive. I wouldn’t be surprised if the SSD and the APU are very close in cost.

ZehDon

Gold Member
$600 BOM for the disc based console? I'm gonna need to see the receipts on that one.

Cerny's no fool. I've said I could see the PS5 launching at $599, but I would expect Sony to make a profit on that figure. They don't have to take a loss on the hardware, at least from my perspective; their domination in the market, and Microsoft launching without any games, means they only need to price aggressively if they want to. They drop a God of War: Ragnarok reveal, and a USD$599.00 console would still sell out at launch.

HeresJohnny

The 5th best selling home console ever? That one? They should just not show up?

They righted the ship but it cost them dearly, nearly ceded the generation to their closest competitor and lost a ton of mindshare in the process. I'm as big a Playstation fan as the next guy; to me it's synonymous with console gaming as much as Nintendo, but let's get real here: they're going up against Santa Claus. MS is trying to woo people into the "free games" camp, a move which I think is going to be disastrous for the industry but could very well potentially hurt it worse if their plan succeeds due to Sony being fucking dumb and releasing a $500 machine in a bad economy. They know better than anyone why they shouldn't do it, but it sounds like they might anyway.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Why do people listen to this guy? He doesn't even know how to make a sandwich. So, what makes you think that he knows how to calculate BOMs?

I am getting sick of these XBOX Series X is more powerful. That is fact, but people have to think what that actually means, that might mean that XBOX can easier reach smooth 4k, but according to the latest studies only 2% of people have a 4K television right now. Furthermore I also have a 4K television and I have never said even once during this console generation: "wow, now I want to play this game in 4k". The thing I complained about and most people did are the loading times and when it comes to loading times Sony has the edge with their faster SSD.
All I want to say is that most people will not see an advantage when buying XBOX Series X over PS5, but all people will recognize the small difference in loading times.

Aggelos

Maybe he saw the hype for the ps5 showcase so he wanted to balance the equation again :messenger_winking:

Even though Bloomberg said the estimated bill of materials is about $450 back in Feburary when NAND chips and gddr6 were high in price because of the lockdown in china and the uncertainty of the covid-19.

lCWoiW2.jpg

Texas Pride

Banned
Even if you hate Sony. Believing a guy who has already been caught literally making shit up for attention isn't the wisest thing to do. We're looking at $399 Digital and $450-$499 physical PS5 imo. The fear mongering by people who get off on chaos needs to stop.

One hilarious thing is, why would PlayStation hold out so hard for so long just to price higher?

I’m kind of thinking a potentially expensive price is why they are holding out so long. They could be afraid of the backlash if it’s over $499. I figure if it was priced at around $399 or even $449, they would of shown it by now. We’ll see eventually. Hopefully before launch day.

freefornow

Gold Member
Those saying $449 for the Disc version are you thinking it's not coming with a controller? Think that would be the only way because this new controller h a s a fair bit of tech and probably expensive to produce.
Also, PS5 does not need to undercut the XSX. PlayStation is dominant in the market and will be in demand simply by being PlayStation.
That's not arrogance, that is a result of everything that have done this gen.

Bryank75

Banned
I’m kind of thinking a potentially expensive price is why they are holding out so long. They could be afraid of the backlash if it’s over $499. I figure if it was priced at around $399 or even $449, they would of shown it by now. We’ll see eventually. Hopefully before launch day.
A higher price would look worse after Xbox revealing a lower price and give people less time to save / budget, that is what I'm thinking.

ethomaz

Banned
It was cheaper to manufacture than PS4, the GPU was less powerful and it used DDR3 as a cost saving measure, Microsoft was likely at zero profit/loss from its release and started to take small losses when they ditched Kinect.
PS4 was cheaper.

The biggest difference was the big APU on XB1 due almost half of it being eSRAM (that is the reason it was underpowered too).

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Regardless of the production cost they aren't going to price it higher than XSX.

Right now Microsoft can say (and not be lying) they are the cheapest and most powerful (in raw TF performance) next gen.
I don't think Sony wants to give them the satisfaction of having the most powerful device which is also cheaper than Sony's device.

ethomaz

Banned
Let’s see my guesses...

Serie X BOM: ~$520
PS5 BOM: ~$480
PS5 DE BOM: ~$460
Serie S BOM: ~$320

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
Less than 3 days.

Already got lots of paper towel lotion popcorn candy .

Anything else i am missing?

Last edited:
There's literally no evidence whatsoever that PS5 should be more expensive.

In fact, it should be at least $50 less expensive due to APU Size, Memory costs, volume of manufacturing, less expensive cooling, etc. The digital only version should be $70-80 less expensive.

So yeah, $399 is still on the table IMHO

Remember that the difference in APU size for Series S vs. PS5 vs Series X is approximately the same....it makes sense to me that PS5 would be smack dab in the middle of their costs....and I think everyone knows this and even Microsoft expected them to go for $399

It lost a ton of money for Sony and it was their worst selling home console. It's not something Sony wants to repeat I'm sure but going just by console sales alone it did beat the 360 by a couple of million even though it was always more expensive and had 1 less year on the market but compared to other PlayStation consoles it wasn't up to Sony's typical performance.

kuncol02

Banned
less expensive cooling
That's some new level of trolling and spreading FUD. We have reports how expensive is PS5 cooling. We saw devkit and how much it takes to cool it. We have reports that Sony struggle with overheating prototype. And after all that you are trying to push narrative that XBox cooling is more expensive? That's not even funny.

Justin9mm

I'm predicting the PS5 with physical drive will be $699 AUD in Australia here. For perspective, the Series X is launching at $749 AUD which equates to a little more than $499 USD after conversion.

I have a feeling Sony will undercut Microsoft whatever the price. No way are they going to charge more.

UnNamed

Banned
Since I'm also inside the system, I can confirm PS5 will cost 549$, but Sony has yet to decide 'till the last minute, you know how this things works, so the price could be very different, it's not my fault, you have misinterpreted my words, why you put words in my mouth, I have never stated PS5 will cost 549$.

Last edited:

TBiddy

Since I'm also inside the system, I can confirm PS5 will cost 549$, but Sony has yet to decide 'till the last minute, you know how this things works, so the price could be very different, it's not my fault.

You're no longer The Insider, so I don't trust you.

pawel86ck

Banned
The APU is the most expensive component in a console. The PS5 SSD isn't $300. I don't know where this nonsense keeps on coming from?
Comparable PCIe 4 SSD cost around $300 on PC. Samsung 980 evo will cost around $350-450.

Last edited:
Top Bottom