• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: PS5 Will Launch In 2020 In "Limited Supply", Cost $500 Or More

T_LVPL

Not making the mistake I made with the PS4. Paid the £350 for it at release, 8 months later you could get it for £300 with both Destiny and TLoU Remastered included in the box. Destiny was the first game I even bought for it and I had to wipe the dust off the thing. Definitely waiting until the first new hardware revision before I cop, this time around. Not even going to bother getting one to resell on ebay as too many Paypal “item not as described” scammers nowadays to make selling high prices items too risky. Those days are over.

JLB

Banned
$499 for a console you keep for 7 years is still cheap. Ppl are forgetting the majority of ppl spend $1,000 on a cell phone every couple years now. Gaming PC or laptop is minimum $700 and will only last 2-3 years before it's out dated.

I'd say that the 7 year long generation is a thing of the past. PS6 and XSX 2 will be here in 2024/2025 at most. And with a mid gen on 2022.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
A wildcard scenario - ms manages to build 10 million units and prices at 399, while ps5 only get 2 million off the assembly line and prices at 499. Both sell out, this would be a huge win for ms.

truth411

I really dont understand replys like these, they dont disprove what im saying.

I mean why did sony even go for 10tflops why not 8tflops?, i bet there exclusives would still look some of the best.

I think its best people just accept the XsX has a hardware advantage which is not insignificant and move on.
The Point is, that your over estimating the significance of the 18% GPU gap between the PS5 and XSX when it comes to actual Games.

Aion002

A wildcard scenario - ms manages to build 10 million units and prices at 399, while ps5 only get 2 million off the assembly line and prices at 499. Both sell out, this would be a huge win for ms.

MS builds 100 million units and start giving out consoles for subscriptions on Xcloud and Game Pass, everybody joins the xbox side and Sony enters in panic mode, their main game makers quit their jobs and join MS studios, former ND developers announces Undiscovered and The Rest of Us only on Series X and Windows Store, while Kojima gets ready to start making a Metal Gear Reboot for MS (yes! MS bought every single Konami IP).

Year 1: Sony sells 500k units of PS5 on the first year, the launch price is 800 USD, while MS is dominating everything, you can get a Series X in a Big Mac promo, Sony board decides to sell their game division, MS buys everything... minus Knack and Astro Bot, both goes to Nintendo, that make critically acclaimed games with the IP's.

Year 2: Mario have a Knack, wins the GOTY, Xbox is the biggest brand post 2000, Sony fills for bankruptcy, Marvel finally gets all their movies rights back.

Year 3: MS buys Nintendo. MS Remakes all PS games on Xbox, The Last of Us, God of War and Uncharted wins all the prizes again, because now they are better on Xbox. Everybody plays Xbox.

Year 4: MS buys Steam, PC's now are called Xbox.

Year 5: MS announces a new generation, Xbox flagships are Gods of Wars Infinite, Halo Infinite 2, Forza Infinite, Mario Infinite, Zelda Infinite and the most antecipated sequel of the generation: The Last of Us: Reboot: Infinite.... they are all Games as Services.

This is probably the wet dream of some.... I am sorry. I am kinda bored. :messenger_winking_tongue:

But really, the doom and gloom for Sony is back at full force.... I remember reading similar things everywhere near the PS3 launch, some journalists and gamers are really wishing and hoping that this time Sony will fail hard.

Sony does not want to release TLU 2 because of constraints, yet they will enter a new gen with much more against the PS5? According to this article Sony has limited units being made and the same price against a stronger competitor.

If this is true and Sony releases the PS5 under this condition, well, time to change the people in charge, because they're dumb as fuck.

GiJoint

MS builds 100 million units and start giving out consoles for subscriptions on Xcloud and Game Pass, everybody joins the xbox side and Sony enters in panic mode, their main game makers quit their jobs and join MS studios, former ND developers announces Undiscovered and The Rest of Us only on Series X and Windows Store, while Kojima gets ready to start making a Metal Gear Reboot for MS (yes! MS bought every single Konami IP).

Year 1: Sony sells 500k units of PS5 on the first year, the launch price is 800 USD, while MS is dominating everything, you can get a Series X in a Big Mac promo, Sony board decides to sell their game division, MS buys everything... minus Knack and Astro Bot, both goes to Nintendo, that make critically acclaimed games with the IP's.

Year 2: Mario have a Knack, wins the GOTY, Xbox is the biggest brand post 2000, Sony fills for bankruptcy, Marvel finally gets all their movies rights back.

Year 3: MS buys Nintendo. MS Remakes all PS games on Xbox, The Last of Us, God of War and Uncharted wins all the prizes again, because now they are better on Xbox. Everybody plays Xbox.

Year 5: MS announces a new generation, Xbox flagships are Gods of Wars Infinite, Halo Infinite 2, Forza Infinite, Mario Infinite, Zelda Infinite and the most antecipated sequel of the generation: The Last of Us: Reboot: Infinite.... they are all Games as Services.

This is probably the wet dream of some.... I am sorry. I am kinda bored. :messenger_winking_tongue:

But really, the doom and gloom for Sony is back at full force.... I remember reading similar things everywhere near the PS3 launch, some journalists and gamers are really wishing and hoping that this time Sony will fail hard.

Sony does not want to release TLU 2 because of constraints, yet they will enter a new gen with much more against the PS5? According to this article Sony has limited units being made and the same price against a stronger competitor.

If this is true and Sony releases the PS5 under this condition, well, time to change the people in charge, because they're dumb as fuck.
They aren’t going to do a repeat of the PS3 launch.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
It's definitely to do with Cyberpunk 2077 by the looks of it. Could be a special edition Xbox One X with that leaked controller.

Cybepunk 2077 makes sense. The way it displayed reminded me of something but I couldn't place it. It's the same type of thing when Cyberpunk popped up on the screen at the end of the Xbox E3 conference a few years ago. We need to check it out in 4 days, could be something exciting.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Yep, and it only turned around with the slim at 299 bucks.

To add context to this, the PS3 at launch didn't sell bad at all. It was hundreds more at launch and still outsold Xbox 360 world wide buttttt Sony was losing too much on each console bcus the BOM was high. The turn around came not because it started selling more necessarily but because Sony at tht point weren't selling at a major loss anymore.

If anything PS3 showed there is still a market for 500 console shit ps3 cost more. Sony just can't sustain major losses and even thts up for debate as now thy gave psn ps plus bringing major revenue which thy didn't have during ps3 days.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
If i will ever buy console this gen for sure it won't be in first 3-4 years. No way i will repeat PS4 fiasco and leave it dusting because all it had were some remasters from PS3 and 2-3 exclusives which quality was also pretty mediacore.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
cmon gamestop, make one of your "we take your old console for a substantial discount one the new one" deal so i can make my preorder.

That's a scary thought, 50/50 the store is still thereby the time it launches......
Best bet would be to sell your console now and put the cash aside.....

Gamernyc78

Banned
If i will ever buy console this gen for sure it won't be in first 3-4 years. No way i will repeat PS4 fiasco and leave it dusting because all it had were some remasters from PS3 and 2-3 exclusives which quality was also pretty mediacore.

I'm day one as usual. I had enough fun with Drive club, Second Son and Killzone initially also the f2p ganes it offered . I double dipped on tlou remastered abd played the shit out of the mp 😊My wait tactic will be on Xbox, if I even buy an Xbox as I waited to get one down the line this gen and still regretted it bcus it gets no use 🤦‍♂️I need to stop spending money in things I won't use.

The author of the article is mad at people for misquoting him for things he hasn't said about sony being in trouble etc...:

8ADuFm8.jpg

mPjnUqw.jpg

SKg4iIy.jpg

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
I'm day one as usual. I had enough fun with Drive club, Second Son and Killzone initially also the f2p ganes it offered . I double dipped on tlou remastered abd played the shit out of the mp 😊My wait tactic will be on Xbox, if I even buy an Xbox as I waited to get one down the line this gen and still regretted it bcus it gets no use 🤦‍♂️I need to stop spending money in things I won't use.

Yeah i liked second son but killzone was boring af. Driveclub was my hate/love relationship. I fucking loved Motorstorm 1 kind of liked 2 and didn't like much 3rd and then they switched to real cars and i loved graphics but racing just wasn't that fun. It was nice driving game but poor racing game.

Aside from that there wasn't really anything to play. I just don't like most of modern AAA games and it tend to focus on smaller games on PC like CK2, Starsector, Factorio which were not present on console at all and are ton of fun. So i sold my PS4. Then BB came and i kind of wanted it back but i wouldn't buy console for one game so i waited. Then MHW came out and 2 games was enough. Bought ps4 finished BB. MHW, MGS5, Persona5 and Nier and i sold it again.

Last edited:
This will be the first time I won't be a "day 1" buyer. $500 (If that's actually true) & the cost of a 2+ TB internal or external SSD... Not to mention an extra controller, games, etc. Forget that!

Most I've ever spent was the PS3 when it first came out and that was only because online gaming was fairly new in the console world.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Isn't Jim "goonie" Ryan the only reason PS3 caught up and surpassed 360 thanks to Europe?
You mean the Sony studios who produced great games and the ice team who fixed lots of the development issues. Ryan inherited a perfect situation from House and crew. Still waiting for him to do anything right that was not in the works before he in charge. The things he over sees like the cerny talk are a disaster but he lucky what those before him built is so strong he can't screw it up with his incompetence.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
So @#%% is you talking about then?
Go get some Quaker Oatmeal in the kitchen and watch Power or somethin..or clean your open toe sandals..dont sit around GAF, be productive.
Too much projection there, meng. Don't worry, I don't care if you eat your cereal or whatever with a fork. :messenger_bicep:🥴

joe_zazen

even better:

2020-2025–MS uses predatory pricing, desktop gaming OS dominance, and patent law to drive all competitors out of business, including Nintendo, Stadia, Steam, Epic Store, etc. Uses same power to ensure no competitors can ever arise.

2025-????—anyone wanting to make, play, or release non mobile video games has to pay microsoft money.

FranXico

even better:

2020-2025–MS uses predatory pricing, desktop gaming OS dominance, and patent law to drive all competitors out of business, including Nintendo, Stadia, Steam, Epic Store, etc. Uses same power to ensure no competitors can ever arise.

2025-????—anyone wanting to make, play, or release non mobile video games has to pay microsoft money.
I guess they'll only learn the true cost of supporting a giant monopolist corporation when it's too late.
Oh well, the harm on far more important things has been done long ago...

joe_zazen

This will be the first time I won't be a "day 1" buyer. $500 (If that's actually true) & the cost of a 2+ TB internal or external SSD... Not to mention an extra controller, games, etc. Forget that!

Most I've ever spent was the PS3 when it first came out and that was only because online gaming was fairly new in the console world.

Part of the problem with the great depression wasn’t just unemployment (2/3 households did just fine), it was the fear that made most everyone cut way back spending on most discretionary items. Sure, if things were cheap enough, like movie tickets, people would still buy. But major purchases were cut way the fuck back, even by people who weren’t economically affected.

idk if covid will lead to great depression style household spending, but if it does, here in Canada at least, a $750-$850 ($500-$600USD) console with $80 games is going to fail. Even a $550 ($399 USD) console will be a hard sell.

Sans covid, I think those prices would have worked out for Sony just fine. As it is, I believe many will make do with ps4 and/or Switch; or look seriously at Lockhart. Switch is $260 and $399 here. Assuming Lockhart is similar, yeah, $700-800 ps5 is going to crash and burn.

But hey, maybe post covid things will be back to normal in a few weeks, with just higher taxes and bugger deficiets.

Top Bottom