• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Friday week in the UK was the biggest sales week for PS5 outside of its launch week. It was the No.3 biggest week for Xbox Series S and X, too.

Elysium44

Banned
Folks are saving that when we get hosed in january with energy price increases.

I found out the new energy prices today, not much of a rise. I bet a lot of people who most need that cost of living payment will piss it up the wall and then be back with their hand out moaning about the mean Tories.

PS5 up by 217% YoY. Xbox just "matched" last year despite heavy discounts. 🤷
Yeah…remember when the narrative was that Xbox always sells a lot during Black Friday?
PS5 BF week wasn't even particularly strong in the UK although massively up yoy because they had massive sales the week before and the week after there was the official launch of the Slim.

In summary: the full November data will be crazy for PS5.

Edit with estimates:
For BF week:
PS5 83K
XB S/X 56K

Full month:
PS5 250k
XB S/X 100-120k
The UK is the second strongest market for Xbox vs PlayStation and yet it’s selling less than half? I can’t even imagine that WW gap tbh. It’s going to be a disaster.

And PS5 is going to have lots of releases for the next few months:

Today: DLC for FFXVI
4 days from now: Free DLC for God of War
January: TLOU2 Remastered
February: Helldivers 2 and FFVII Rebirth
March: Rise of the Ronin

Still to come in 2024: MLB The Show, Death Stranding 2, Silent Hill 2, PS5 Pro during the fall.

And this is without a huge effort from PS studios first party.

Next year the bloodbath will continue.

Meany.....

If I was wrong here, I wouldn't be mad about it, but nothing that I've seen would suggest that they're going to hit 25 million.

In the US you could tell that the old spider-man bundled SKU has/had stayed in stock for entirely too long. If they were outpacing the numbers they needed to make up the difference here, these should have sold out much faster.

I also don't think Spider-Man itself is selling enough units to really drive the numbers Sony is going to need in order to hit 25 million.

Then you have a really weak January/February compared to 2022. They can't compete with that in 2024, not just with FF7 Rebirth.

They've been way more aggressive with the pricing than I had anticipated, but I would still be very surprised if they hit their number.

Imtjnotu

Gets stomped out in the revolutionary war.

Celebrates an American shopping holiday

Happy World Cup GIF by FIFA

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
And PS5 is going to have lots of releases for the next few months:

Today: DLC for FFXVI
4 days from now: Free DLC for God of War
January: TLOU2 Remastered
February: Helldivers 2 and FFVII Rebirth
March: Rise of the Ronin

Still to come in 2024: MLB The Show, Death Stranding 2, Silent Hill 2, PS5 Pro during the fall.

And this is without a huge effort from PS studios first party.
Next year the bloodbath will continue.

I've been pissed off at Sony for not announcing any new games from their 1st party studios this year. I'm now wondering if this could have anything to do with the release of the PS5 Pro in Q3 '24. It would make sense to launch the PS5 Pro with games that make use of the extra graphical power. I really hope so because Sony's own 1st party output has been underwhelming recently.

Mowcno

I've been pissed off at Sony for not announcing any new games from their 1st party studios this year.
Helldivers 2, Concord, Fairgame$ and Marathon were all announced this year. Now if you meant no single player 1st party games then yes.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Helldivers 2, Concord, Fairgame$ and Marathon were all announced this year. Now if you meant no single player 1st party games then yes.

I couldn't care less about GAAS/multiplayer games. I only play third person single player games.

Ronin_7

Banned
As the article says, the PS5 was heavily supply limited last year.

In fact, last BF week, the console share was

Switch - 42% of all consoles sold
Xbox Series - 40% of all consoles sold
PS5 - 18%

Source

The growth % this year is impressive…but that’s from a low start point.
PlayStation 5 black friday lasted 2 weeks, so week before BF was also massive.

Mr.Phoenix

If I was wrong here, I wouldn't be mad about it, but nothing that I've seen would suggest that they're going to hit 25 million.

In the US you could tell that the old spider-man bundled SKU has/had stayed in stock for entirely too long. If they were outpacing the numbers they needed to make up the difference here, these should have sold out much faster.

I also don't think Spider-Man itself is selling enough units to really drive the numbers Sony is going to need in order to hit 25 million.

Then you have a really weak January/February compared to 2022. They can't compete with that in 2024, not just with FF7 Rebirth.

They've been way more aggressive with the pricing than I had anticipated, but I would still be very surprised if they hit their number.
Maybe Spiderman has remained in stock because there is a shit ton of stock available. For the sole intention of hitting those targets.

A man can dream huh?

Can you remember what the data we have thus far says they have shipped for the FY quarters on record?

Maybe Spiderman has remained in stock because there is a shit ton of stock available. For the sole intention of hitting those targets.

A man can dream huh?

Can you remember what the data we have thus far says they have shipped for the FY quarters on record?

Even with a shit ton of stock, the bundle should have sold out. You could see where it was on the Amazon best sellers and while it was high, it wasn't as high as it needed to be.

I recall the thread, but I don't remember the numbers off hand. It should be in the sony quarterly thread.

Unknown?

I've been pissed off at Sony for not announcing any new games from their 1st party studios this year. I'm now wondering if this could have anything to do with the release of the PS5 Pro in Q3 '24. It would make sense to launch the PS5 Pro with games that make use of the extra graphical power. I really hope so because Sony's own 1st party output has been underwhelming recently.
Who cares if its first or second party?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

The price of the PS5 plus Final Fantasy 7 rebirth should outpace Q1 2022

Last edited:
Surprisingly good result for Xbox. Considering that last year there was a shortage of PS consoles, the fact that the Xbox sold the same amount as the last year, despite PS being available proves once again my suspicion that if Xbox cost less than 499$ and 299$, people would buy it more. When Xbox has the same price as Playstation, consumers prefer buying Playstation.
Leo Inception GIF

Astray

Gold Member
You know things are bad when people are celebrating having no growth in monthly sales volume because it means there's no drop.

This almost assuredly means that Xbox hardware will end up with an overall % drop in annual UK sales.

Last edited:
Top Bottom