• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: PS5 Will Launch In 2020 In "Limited Supply", Cost $500 Or More

Jigga117

If you are a tech person You need to watch the road to ps5 to understand why ps5 is the gaster console . For fuck sake cerny has allocated biggest chunk of apu for an io to ensure the system.is the fastest we have ever seen.

I suggest u watch it. Its interesting for tech heads

you can see my post history you seen I have pointed out contradictions to that video.

Last edited:

Arkam

From a marketing standpoint MS could say they have the fastest, they have the faster cpu and ram afterall, from a legal standpoint either one could say they are the fastest.

That would be dumb AF if MS did that. They need to stick to the POWER narrative and hope to god that PS5 SSD impact is not as large as rumored or they will probably combat POWER with SPEED. I dont care how much better yo shit is, if you can show the same game loading "instantly" and teh other sits on a loading screen (even for 5s) it speaks volumes to the masses and many will see Speed>Power.

Jigga117

And I am a Software Architect. Means nothing when we are discussing specs of a console we did not help design or build. The way you replied to me was abrupt, flippant and bizarre, and left me with no choice but to assume you are a fanboy.

As for me, check out what Im going through in the next gen speculation thread. im being accused of being a MS fanboy spreading FUD.

lets try this again. Fastest means either fastest clocks or fastest read/write speeds. if MS wants to say they have the fastest console because their CPU is 3.6 ghz compared to PS5's 3.5 ghz gpu then technically they would be correct, but we all know it's BS because Sony has fastest GPU clocks and fastest SSD speeds.

I responded the way I did because you want to call a company a flat out lier who has been open about everything so far for the past year vs name announcements and trickled out information.

Also your damn right, I am a fanboy of gaming and tech

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I never said it would not.
People said the same about the X1s 900p. But people still find value in the console with more power and it has value from a marketing stand point.

Yes there is "some" value to having the most powerful console. But there's even more value in having the best games. I think we'll both agree to that. And that's what we are all still waiting for.

Genx3

I suspect this is a controlled Leak.
If Sony gets it out that PS5 could be $550 when they actually announce its $500 people won't freak out.

Stating there will be limited stock is to get as many people to pre order as possible. Sony is gauging the market. That way Sony actually has a good idea of how many day 1 consoles will sell. Which is odd since at launch every console pretty much sells out these days. They can always try to produce more if demand is higher than expected.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The limited supplies and worry from Bloomberg is a nothing burger.

It's mainstream media talking about video games. Are we shocked they are talking out their ass for clicks?
i think its a controlled leak tbh. the first article was from sources within Sony, and now the article says sources familiar with the matter. This is coming from within sony and there is no way all these guys are talking without getting blessing from the higher up. this happens all the time in every industry, even the FBI head Comey and his deputy chief Andrew McCabe were leaking shit to the press and it was an actual FBI policy.

I think Sony saw the online discourse about gamers expecting it to be a $399 console and leaked this to temper some expectations.

GiJoint

If Series X launches at the same price, things could get interesting very quick.
This is critical for them. It’s all well and good having a more powerful unit and winning back hearts and minds but this launch is gonna have to be a big one. Don’t put countries into tiers etc

Vawn

Banned

I don't mind the price, but I really hope these consoles aren't impossible to find. Sony implying that they are limiting production because of the high price tag seems odd. I cannot imagine them having difficulty selling just about as many as they can make even at those prices.

Corona changes everything though - production, prices and how many people are in a position financially to get these next generation consoles.

It should be interesting to see, but I'm starting to think we won't see the same kinds of numbers we have become accustomed to for these consoles this time.

Edit: I just saw the thread below bumped after making this. Feel free to lock.

Last edited:
i think its a controlled leak tbh. the first article was from sources within Sony, and now the article says sources familiar with the matter. This is coming from within sony and there is no way all these guys are talking without getting blessing from the higher up. this happens all the time in every industry, even the FBI head Comey and his deputy chief Andrew McCabe were leaking shit to the press and it was an actual FBI policy.

I think Sony saw the online discourse about gamers expecting it to be a $399 console and leaked this to temper some expectations.
Yea this is the most likely case

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
That would be dumb AF if MS did that. They need to stick to the POWER narrative and hope to god that PS5 SSD impact is not as large as rumored or they will probably combat POWER with SPEED. I dont care how much better yo shit is, if you can show the same game loading "instantly" and teh other sits on a loading screen (even for 5s) it speaks volumes to the masses and many will see Speed>Power.

Yes they would stick to both the power and speed narrative, i dont see any advantage to them letting sony have exclusivity to that marketing angle.

I dont think sony will do a pepsi challenge type marketing regarding there ssd speed.
Also sonys ssd is twice the speed of XSX's, so if ps5 games fade to gameplay (as said by Godking cerny) in 1 second, xsx will fade to gameplay in 2 seconds.

sn0man

Another prediction. Same price, would you choose one where multiplatform games runs about 20% prettier graphics or one that loads levels 2x faster. :goog_hugging_face:
Sony chose and made a faster bed at the expense of traditional graphics metrics. I always felt a -$100 gap would best serves PS5 plans for dominance.

FTFY

Arkam

Yes they would stick to both the power and speed narrative, i dont see any advantage to them letting sony have exclusivity to that marketing angle.

I dont think sony will do a pepsi challenge type marketing regarding there ssd speed.
Also sonys ssd is twice the speed of XSX's, so if ps5 games fade to gameplay (as said by Godking cerny) in 1 second, xsx will fade to gameplay in 2 seconds.

IF (big if) that is true.... I would. Line up 10 games loading in a row to emphasis. Then ask "what will you play with all that extra time?" (of course it would be 10s only... but sit there and watch something for 10s and you will 'feel' how slow it is in comparison)

Last edited:

Fake

$499 seems like a fair price to me. Now let me preorder the damn thing.

My guess was $499 or higher, so no complains for me. Besides, people are getting too exigent about this departament. 'Want the best of best for a cheap price'. $499 is not 'that' high and I probably not getting PS5 day one either, so we can expect deals and black friday for doing their part.

Sosokrates

IF (big if) that is true.... I would. Line up 10 games loading in a row to emphasis. Then ask "what will you play with all that extra time?" (of course it would be 10s only... but sit there and watch something for 5s and you will 'feel' how slow it is in comparison)

I dont think either company will return to those days.

sn0man

The new console news just keeps me inching towards going PC+Nintendo.

Before, the Sony and MS increasingly putting stuff on PC. Now the MSRP sounds a lot like a NVidia RTX 3070.

If Sony wants to compete they may have to take a loss on hardware pricing and hope that PSN Plus Turbo subs can claw them back.

Sounds expensive. New console alone doesn't hype me though. I need to see all the new games, BS tech demos and such to get my juices flowing.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Neo_game

If Series X launches at the same price, things could get interesting very quick.

I do not think it will matter. Hardcore gamers of each side are anyways going to buy their respective console. Mainstream gamers are probably going wait if both are going to be 500$. Microsoft already confirmed their games will be released on all consoles for next 2yr. Sony has their biggest games this year on PS4.

sn0man

That's because the PS4 isn't a handheld.

It’s hard to compete with N when they keep changing the game. Now with the rumors of a cheaper streaming device with digital only games they could really win in market share. I love me my physical games but for those that don’t a Nintendo box for a 3rd the price is compelling to many.

LordOfChaos

ps500-800x450.jpg

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I really dont understand replys like these, they dont disprove what im saying.

I mean why did sony even go for 10tflops why not 8tflops?, i bet there exclusives would still look some of the best.

I think its best people just accept the XsX has a hardware advantage which is not insignificant and move on.
This isn't a power issue, it's a studio issue and a result of Sony having the forethought to do their building during the PS3 era. An era which they at a considerable disadvantage for most of the gen much like the Xbox is this gen. Now Xbox is the one doing the building. What's left to be seen is do these studios have what it takes to bring it like Sony did this gen.

What? How do they pay the bills? Rent, electricity, salary of employees etc. I would earn more if I sold a t shirt.

For 3$ I wouldn't even ask employees to pack it up and give it to customer.

Used games, used systems, bigger margins on games and accessories, warranties etc etc.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
IF (big if) that is true.... I would. Line up 10 games loading in a row to emphasis. Then ask "what will you play with all that extra time?" (of course it would be 10s only... but sit there and watch something for 10s and you will 'feel' how slow it is in comparison)

I'd Pepsi Challenge the heck out of MS on that. You are right. Show 3 3rd party games loading up in 5 seconds on the XSX, but loading in 1.8 seconds on the PS5. Show that back to back with crazy flashes. Then throw in a trolling headline and ask the question....."So who's really faster? LOL"

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Limited supply means more like 600-650 for the end consumers, if not more, the stores will rip our wallets apart if that's true.

No, that's not how it works. Otherwise Wii would have sold for $500 in stores.

The closest thing is companies like GameStop making bundles with the console and s bunch of other stuff you don't want. Or like they did with Xenoblade, opening them up and selling them as "used", so they can charge whatever they want.

MilkyJoe

"The biggest impact from COVID 19 is on the reveal of PS5, not production or release".

Utter bollocks, they've had to redesign the box for fireproofing.

I'm glad I don't have the urge to be a 'day one' buyer anymore, for anything.

Honestly, I don't think any console is worth buying until at least 12-18mths after launch, when the 2nd generation of software, that truly shows them in their best light, are about to land.

I had thought the same thing at first. But with so many amazing games out, or coming out soon, like Nioh 2, Cyberpunk 2077, FFVIIR, TLOU 2 that I want to play on the PS5, I may pick one up after a few months if there are no hardware or heat management issues.

In that Bloomberg article, it states that the PS5 will go into mass production in June. If that's the case, then I expect the PS5 hardware to be revealed soon (in May) before the inevitable leaks will come out from the factories and the accessory makers.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

This isn't a power issue, it's a studio issue and a result of Sony having the forethought to do their building during the PS3 era. An era which they at a considerable disadvantage for most of the gen much like the Xbox is this gen. Now Xbox is the one doing the building. What's left to be seen is do these studios have what it takes to bring it like Sony did this gen.

Did you mis quote me?

You reply is a completely different subject.

Carna

Banned
What a weird age we live in now, maybe it's the near-30 year old Boomer in me, but this age videogames where stuff like this happens is weird and scary to me, IT WILL HAPPEN TO YOU!!!!

Be prepared to either wait months, or pay up a massive premium over MSRP if you want one early on.. Like much worse than what happened when the PS4 launched.

PS3 was an eye-watering £425 at launch in the UK ($600) AND we got jipped with a March 2007 launch when the US had it the previous November.

Brits had it bad, but sounds like for PS5 we are all getting equally jipped!
Don't forget that we europeans got a worse PS3 for the price as well. We didn't get our PS3s with the emotion engine (hardware based PS2 BC). It was the main reason for me to not buy a PS3.

Last edited:

Eimran

This is an unfortunate motivation to those assholes who buy the consoles and sell them the day after at ridiculous high price just so they can earn a cheap buck.

Last edited:

n0razi

People seem desperate to buy something new, regardless of what it is or how much it costs, this doesn't make much sense.
It will fly of the shelves at 400 or 500 or even 550.

Its going to fly off the shelves even on the resale market (talking $1000+ on ebay)

Top Bottom