• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: PS5 Will Launch In 2020 In "Limited Supply", Cost $500 Or More

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Despite rumors of a potential delay, PS5 is indeed going to launch in 2020, according to a new Bloomberg report.

Also in the cards is a $500-$550 price tag, people familiar with the matter said.

"The biggest impact from COVID 19 is on the reveal of PS5, not production or release".

A few other interesting tidbits in there including them producing fewer units due to lower projected demand -- because of the higher price, they expect to sell less units than PS4.

How much do you think it will launch for? I think it'll be $500 and it won't set the world on fire like the PS4 did, mainly due to price (and the economic after effects of COVID, I'm guessing). They better have some killer launch games if they expect people to pony up $500-$600 on day one for this thing.

bitbydeath

Probably a staggered release then.

The company has told assembly partners it would make 5 to 6 million units of the PS5 in the fiscal year ending March 2021, according to other people involved in the machine’s supply chain. When Sony released the PlayStation 4 in November 2013, it sold 7.5 million units in its first two quarters.

Edit: Nevermind...

Sony’s PlayStation chief Jim Ryan has stressed that the machine’s launch should be simultaneous around the globe, according to people in the company’s supply chain.

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

I'm glad I don't have the urge to be a 'day one' buyer anymore, for anything.

Honestly, I don't think any console is worth buying until at least 12-18mths after launch, when the 2nd generation of software, that truly shows them in their best light, are about to land.

The Alien

Banned
I dunno.

Production is on track?....all the components ordered, suppliers readying, design and components final? Finsl release controller unveiled. I believe all that.

Yet they are struggling most to unveil/show or discuss the console in greater detail. Microsoft has been spilling beans since December.

Something doesn't smell right....either with the article or Sony. Next gen speculation is fun! Lol.

longdi

Banned
Told ya. 🏳️‍🌈
$499 - price parity.

As a former Sony fan, i dont like the $499 price point, but their hands are tied.
Console gen are fought and won with specs choices in a way or another.
My greatest fear that Sony cant hit $399 is proven.

This is weird. Sony always take loss on hardware. We had report its 450 to 470 for bom .

Xsx is 470 to 520 bom which means the bom is higher by 30 to 50$ . And ms is making lockhart to beat sonys ps5 price wise and not worry about xsx price. Leaving that task to lockhart. So I guess 599 for xsx ?

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
From the article,
Sony has asked employees to work from home to mitigate the spread of the virus, and its board has been unable to meet to approve business plans for the current fiscal year, including those for the PlayStation unit.

This is weird and backwards.
Cant they use Cisco or MS video conferencing or even PSN chats?

TBiddy

This is weird. Sony always take loss on hardware. We had report its 450 to 470 for bom .

Xsx is 470 to 520 bom which means the bom is higher by 30 to 50$ . And ms is making lockhart to not beat sony for xsx vs ps5 price wise . Leaving that task to lockhart. So I guess 599 for xsx ?

Do you honestly expect Microsoft to attempt to make 80-130$ in PROFITS per console? Seriously?

Cant they use Cisco or MS video conferencing or even PSN chats?

They might have stipulations that require physical presence in order to vote. But yes, that would be incredibly backwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

martino

Told ya. 🏳️‍🌈
$499 - price parity.

As a former Sony fan, i dont like the $499 price point, but their hands are tied.
Console gen are fought and won with specs choices in a way or another.
My greatest fear that Sony cant hit $399 is proven.

You could also learn the lesson from what happened with GPU.
last generation of GPU Die are same size with yield price blowing up or bigger.
More performance came at a price.

Last edited:
Do you honestly expect Microsoft to attempt to make 80-130$ in PROFITS per console? Seriously?

They might have stipulations that require physical presence in order to vote. But yes, that would be incredibly backwards.
X1x bom was 410 and they priced it 499. Bom.doesnt mean final price. There are shipping ,handling, manufacturing and retailer cut on top of bom

Last edited:
X1x bom was 410 and they priced it 499. Bom.doesnt mean final price. There are shipping ,handling, manufacturing and retailer cut on top of bom

Perhaps BOM includes these charges. If not, actual price to manufacturer could easily double that of BOM.

Retailers don't work below 20-30% margin.

longdi

Banned
You could also learn the lesson from what happened with GPU.
last generation of GPU Die are same size with yield price blowing up or bigger.
More performance came at a price.

Another prediction. Same price, would you choose one where multiplatform games runs about 20% prettier graphics or one that loads levels 2s faster. :goog_hugging_face:
Sony chose and made a faster bed at the expense of traditional graphics metrics. I always felt a -$100 gap would best serves PS5 plans for dominance.

MayauMiao

Give a year after launch to see if the new console face any potential hardware related issue, and likely we won't see many games for it in the first year but given the current crisis.

Ar¢tos

I dunno.

Production is on track?....all the components ordered, suppliers readying, design and components final? Finsl release controller unveiled. I believe all that.

Yet they are struggling most to unveil/show or discuss the console in greater detail. Microsoft has been spilling beans since December.

Something doesn't smell right....either with the article or Sony. Next gen speculation is fun! Lol.

MS is like Winona Ryder, she'll do anything, ANYTHING, to be in the media attention.

Sony might just have planned things differently. There is so much time until the release, there is no hurry to say everything right now.

More than $500 is fine, but if they are releasing them in limited quantities, Id like to see Sony clamp down on re-sellers price gouging online.

This idea that a console should be affordable for the lowest of income groups is stupid. Consoles are not in the same category as water and food and they have plenty of sales over the life of a gen that a eventually those people will be able to get one or through

With that said, I wont be buying day 1. Ill let other beta test first.

The company has told assembly partners it would make 5 to 6 million units of the PS5 in the fiscal year ending March 2021

Wow. Didnt expect that few.

Sony’s strategy, according to several people familiar with its plans, will be to rely on incumbent PlayStation 4 models as a bridge to get new users onto the PlayStation platform’s network services while the PS5 remains in limited supply, the people said.

I wonder if they'll get devs to back port/downgrade/make a ps4 version of games if PS5 supply becomes to low.

Last edited:
As a former Sony fan
6CA7Abc.jpg

CAB_Life

Pricing seems like a mistake given economic collapse after (assuming it ends) covid. Economists are already predicting contraction on a massive scale.

cormack12

Gold Member
When they say $499 does that exclude tax? so at the counter it would be $600? and equivalent to ~ £480

I'm expecting £429 in UK and I think it will fly off shelves.

ZehDon

Gold Member
All that bespoke hardware doesn’t come cheap - and when they’re manufacturing NVMe drives that outpace the highest end PC drives, they’re going to pay a premium. The controller is also loaded with additional haptics and a microphone array. The box price was gonna be high. They’ll die before they do $599 again, so $549 and a marketing campaign that pushes it as the “premium” console would be my bet, assuming this analysis is correct.

In the other camp, their hardware is more off the shelf than Sony’s - Microsoft are relying on pure power and lots of it, but it’s using components PCs are going to use, and the cost of that manufacturing is going to be lower, despite the higher spec.

If we go into next gen with a $399 Xbox that’s more powerful and a $549 PlayStation whose biggest feature is shorter loading times... next gen is gonna be wild.

Mithos

When they say $499 does that exclude tax? so at the counter it would be $600? and equivalent to ~ £480

I'm expecting £429 in UK and I think it will fly off shelves.

I remember when PS4 came and was 399 us$... became ~4490SEK / ~us$ 700 (back then) in Sweden give or take a few...
I hope a high price on PS5 will not mean the same today... Because yikes!

Last edited:

Kazza

If supply is limited anyway, then a low price doesn't really offer much advantage. I personally think the limited supply may be due to disrupted supply chains rather than lacklustre demand. Even with the upcoming global recession, people still need entertainment, and gaming is a very cheap one in terms of bang for your buck per hour. Also, the fact that people are going to be able to go out less means that gaming has an even bigger advantage.

martino

Another prediction. Same price, would you choose one where multiplatform games runs about 20% prettier graphics or one that loads levels 2s faster. :goog_hugging_face:
Sony chose and made a faster bed at the expense of traditional graphics metrics. I always felt a -$100 gap would best serves PS5 plans for dominance.

What I'm sure of is that even gaf polls numbers don't fit the exclusives matter most narrative.
if MS have same price and an aggressive priced lockhart they could seduce an unknown amount of people (but by far the biggest segment) going for cheapest / best place to play third party (not on pc).
Also i'm not sure most casual player care that much about digital library. I think they are more pissed they can't resell some of their games digital only to buy the next one they want to "consume".

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Limited supply? Yeah, no shit. When has a major console launch been in plentiful supply?
I’ve had zero problem securing any console near launch except the Nintendo Wii (it took some hunting but I still got one for MSRP).

Sure, if you live in the boonies where you have to travel 2 hours to get to a single Best Buy, you’re probably fucked. But most people in most areas, I don’t see it being an issue.

Top Bottom