• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: PS5 Will Launch In 2020 In "Limited Supply", Cost $500 Or More

500USD or higher 😂 never

giphy.gif

Why use people who can afford to make your point?

sendit

Same price as the XSX might be a problem for them if they have the weaker system... They really need a great launch lineup then

Sony will sell more consoles even at a higher price point. PlayStation is a much stronger brand than Xbox. Just look at how much hype a game pad reveal generated.

longdi

Banned
What I'm sure of is that even gaf polls numbers don't fit the exclusives matter most narrative.
if MS have same price and an aggressive priced lockhart they could seduce a unknown amount of people (but by far the biggest segment) going for cheapest / best place to play third party (not on pc).
Also i'm not sure most casual player care that much about digital library. I think they are more pissed they can't resell some of their games digital only to buy the next one they want to "consume".

I think MS is building up the Xbox ecosystem in a very smart continual way. Different from past consoles strategy. Imo 4 years later, we will sing a different tune, and call back about not having the hindsight about how MS slow creep success with said ecosystem.

The series x and series x cloud is a smart design choice. Things seem to fall in place with bom pricing of both consoles.

Last edited:

llien

Uh, given what is inside (and even those 36CUs chip is not cheap) plus all the new bells and whistles, the called out price range is what I'd expect.

On the other hand, I don't expect Microsoft to dare asking more than $499 for XSeX and I don't think it is justified to ask the same sum for PS5.

That besides the OCing 36CUs into oblivion debacle, will likely make me wait for "slim, neither hot nor loud" edition.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Sony will sell more consoles even at a higher price point. PlayStation is a much stronger brand than Xbox. Just look at how much hype a game pad reveal generated.
Yeah definitely. Eager to see how the following months will go on marketing, and more importantly that launch line up, but Sony will still sell more consoles anyway. But it would be good for the industry if they are closer together. 1.5:1 instead of 2:1 sell ratio.

Amaranty

When Phil Spencer said that they have a plan to win next generation, then I wonder if it has anything to with the price of consoles at launch.

Since MS is building an ecosystem with subscription models, then maybe they can sell their console for 400-450.

Matt_Fox

PS3 was an eye-watering £425 at launch in the UK ($600) AND we got jipped with a March 2007 launch when the US had it the previous November.

Brits had it bad, but sounds like for PS5 we are all getting equally jipped!

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Despite rumors of a potential delay, PS5 is indeed going to launch in 2020, according to a new Bloomberg report.

Also in the cards is a $500-$550 price tag, people familiar with the matter said.

"The biggest impact from COVID 19 is on the reveal of PS5, not production or release".

A few other interesting tidbits in there including them producing fewer units due to lower projected demand -- because of the higher price, they expect to sell less units than PS4.

How much do you think it will launch for? I think it'll be $500 and it won't set the world on fire like the PS4 did, mainly due to price (and the economic after effects of COVID, I'm guessing). They better have some killer launch games if they expect people to pony up $500-$600 on day one for this thing.

Article says that price point comes from game developers. I'd take it with a huge grain of salt, devs (and most people) don't know shit about hardware pricing. They just see X amount of power and compare it to known device with X amount of power and price Z and think it will be at least price Z. Nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing, points to the PS5 being designed as anything else but a 399 device. Additionally, guidance for PS4 was the same 5 to 6 million units in the fiscal year. They ramped up production and actually sold those 7.5 million instead. There is no indication here whatsoever of a limited launch, quite the opposite.

Radical_3d

Well first they have to reveal the damn thing and show some next gen gameplays haha
No! Give me my machine, damnit!

Jokes aside, this are not half baked machines like the past generation and in top of that the have an SSD. I’d expect them to be 500€ with a SATA drive, I’m surprised that the can hit that target with a PCIe 4 drive. Specially Sony.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Sony's always got an excuse for "limited supply" every console launch.
It's to drum up hype and get people talking about how the system sold out immediately.

martino

I think MS is building up the Xbox ecosystem in a very smart continual way. Different from past consoles strategy. Imo 4 years later, we will sing a different tune, and call back about not having the hindsight about how MS slow creep success with said ecosystem.

The series x and series x cloud is a smart design choice. Things seem to fall in place with bom pricing of both consoles.
Not sure it's smart or it will work but it seems they are playing the card they have atm the best they can

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
I think the Ps3 releasing 1 year after the Xbox 360, at 599 and with worse performing multiplatform games was the test for PlayStation brand, and the brand passed that test...
How so? They couldn't sell enough PS3 and so Sony lost all their profits from PS1 and 2. Just managed to scrap past 360 and that was after all their xb1.5 calling tactics.

T-Cake

I'm still a bit iffy about getting one on launch. Wonder how much of the system software is going to be ready. Will we be getting a barebones system again and have to wait for things like external HDD support, rest mode, quick resume/standby of multiple games, etc. or are they just using optimized PS4 software?

Kokoloko85

I'm glad I don't have the urge to be a 'day one' buyer anymore, for anything.

Honestly, I don't think any console is worth buying until at least 12-18mths after launch, when the 2nd generation of software, that truly shows them in their best light, are about to land.

New games, New tech + BC make it worth it the extra couple hundred bucks over PS4 in my eyes. Of course each to there own

If ps5 costs between 500 and 550 in MS they will be very very happy.
PS5 by power is a console of 399. But they have made a dire projection of calculations, investing too much money in the command, the refrigeration and the ssd.
They can already have a powerful catalog of output or they will have a bad time.

joe_zazen

When Phil Spencer said that they have a plan to win next generation, then I wonder if it has anything to with the price of consoles at launch.

Since MS is building an ecosystem with subscription models, then maybe they can sell their console for 400-450.

xss is the cheap console. Xsx is premium. As with all premium items, part of the premium experience is paying more. It makes you feel special wearing a $200 tshirt, or a $100 000 pos tesla, or a $300 pair of jeans, or the $600 console with the most floppage.

When they say $499 does that exclude tax? so at the counter it would be $600? and equivalent to ~ £480

I'm expecting £429 in UK and I think it will fly off shelves.

yeah, usd prices have no tax. A $600 usd console will be close to $1000 cad. PS4 cost me less than $400 canadian two weeks after launch in 2013.

Throw a couple of games, ps+, and an extra controller into the bundle, you’ve got a mortgage payment, lol.

idk, but Lockhart looks like a fucking winner if ps5 and xsx are going to close to a thousand dollars here. Or maybe I’ll finally get a switch.

and as far as flying off the shelves, sure the first 10 million are, but after that...oof.

ZywyPL

Banned
Limited supply means more like 600-650 for the end consumers, if not more, the stores will rip our wallets apart if that's true. PS4 at launch was also hard/impossible to get hence cost 550-600 if you really wanted to get one.

The 499 is what I expect for PS5 , they will probably undercut whatever needed to reach that price, being cheap is what worked the best for them in the current generation. APU alone will be more than 100$, SSD another 100-150, 16 gigs of GDDR6 ain't cheap, plus UHD BD, PSU, cooling, DualSense controller, 399 isn't going to happen again.

martino

I think the Ps3 releasing 1 year after the Xbox 360, at 599 and with worse performing multiplatform games was the test for PlayStation brand, and the brand passed that test...
the best brand so far was nintendo with gamecube
with near zero multiplat support we've seen what was the core audience for their exclusives.

Ar¢tos

the best brand so far was nintendo with gamecube
with near zero multiplat support we've seen what was the core audience for their exclusives.
Nintendo plays on another field... Nobody buys a Nintendo platform for multi platform games.

icerock

What's up with the tabloid esque headline? The price point in the title is being suggested by game devs. Bloomberg literally did an article of this where they pegged the BoM to be $450 and one of the analyst seem to think it'll hit $449 in the current article itself. But I guess that wouldn't make for a juicy headline, would it?

The main reason the article seems to speculate for limited supply/high cost is due to scarcity of component, so I'm amazed why that would affect only one company and not the other given those scarce components are going to be needed by other company too? In fact in some scenario, more of them for every box they build i.e. RAM.

Matt_Fox

The DualSense Controller that will be bundled with the console will be another cost factor - it's an $80 controller. Sony haven't confirmed that the old Dualshock is compatible with PS5.

Microsoft could pull the pricing rug from under Sony by selling their console without a bundled controller. The price would obviously even out if you bought a new controller separately, but majority of Xbox owners wont need to rebuy as current controllers are compatible.

The DualSense may push PS5 into a higher pricing bracket.

Kenpachii

The DualSense Controller that will be bundled with the console will be another cost factor - it's an $80 controller. Sony haven't confirmed that the old Dualshock is compatible with PS5.

Microsoft could pull the pricing rug from under Sony by selling their console without a bundled controller. The price would obviously even out if you bought a new controller separately, but majority of Xbox owners wont need to rebuy as current controllers are compatible.

The DualSense may push PS5 into a higher pricing bracket.

What's so expensive about these controllers? seems super cheap to make to me.

Matt_Fox

What's so expensive about these controllers? seems super cheap to make to me.

The regular Dualshock for PS4 is $60, and with the new adaptive triggers and haptic feedback (plus swanky new design) of the DualSense I think we can comfortably say it's going to be an $80 controller.

Controlled leak? A bit of an info dump, perhaps trying to soften the blow.

It'll be interesting to see what eventuates for Sony and MS this year.

GiJoint

Both will be 500.
Next gen will be a true test of strength for PlayStation brand imo
No. The PS3 was that test. Turning that shocker of a console around took years. If you look at how Sony approaches things at the start of that gen to the beginning of this one with the PS4 launch it’s night and day. I really doubt the PS5 will stoop as low as the PS3.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
The regular Dualshock for PS4 is $60, and with the new adaptive triggers and haptic feedback (plus swanky new design) of the DualSense I think we can comfortably say it's going to be an $80 controller.

It also has a built-in microphone with noise canceling.

Tomeru

If ps5 costs between 500 and 550 in MS they will be very very happy.
PS5 by power is a console of 399. But they have made a dire projection of calculations, investing too much money in the command, the refrigeration and the ssd.
They can already have a powerful catalog of output or they will have a bad time.

You should change your nick to Comical Boy.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
It’s a new hardware every 7 to 8 years so I’ll get it even if the price is more than $500 .. I’m in

SleepDoctor

Banned
Yeahhhhhh..... no

If this is $500 while having weaker specs, ill probably wait on a pro unless something for launch looks like a "must have.

Gens really seem to be reversing positions with ms possibly undercutting price with the more powerful console.

Why would anyone have expected it to be cheaper than the Series X? it has the same amount of memory, a more specialized approach with the SSD and the controller is probably more expensive to make than the one that comes with the XSX. It's not like Sony went cheap they just put their money into different things than MS did.

Last edited:
I’ll do my best to get one but I expect the resellers to buy them all up. They’ve pretty much made it impossible to get stuff like this at launch buying shit up with their bots.

The thread title is amazing:

You read the article and find that it might cost $449....

LOL at clickbaiting

it WILL cost $500

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

Seems like there going to the Nintendo playbook of allowing demand to outstrip supply at launch, creating a lot of free marketing with stories of how it is the must have device of the holidays.
You know there's a pandemic out there putting restraints on everything and parts will be costly, don't you? Did you even read the article or just the thread title?

xool

Posted this on the other thread but - Bloomberg thinks XBox and PS SDD are going to be the same price, and $150 for 1TB (seriesX)
Oy0ECqE.png

imo those are home shopper prices, not commercial bulk buy ..

Doubt.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Nintendo plays on another field... Nobody buys a Nintendo platform for multi platform games.

idk how true that is anymore. Anyone that likes on-the-go gaming but hates mobile skinner box game design buys a switch. They have a broad audience that transcends just Nintendo fans, and zero competition (hence the overpriced crappy hardware and lack of services).

Top Bottom