• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dusk Golem: PS5 costs around $600 at launch to produce

Dane

I did a very VERY ROUGH bill of cost prediction of XSX and it ended around 600 dollars, could be a bit less or a bit more, and PS5 would still be close to that, if not, equal.

Dane

I mean XB1 OG was more expensive than PS4. Why it would be bullshit, is up to choices what maker makes.

It was cheaper to manufacture than PS4, the GPU was less powerful and it used DDR3 as a cost saving measure, Microsoft was likely at zero profit/loss from its release and started to take small losses when they ditched Kinect.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
They cant go higher than 499. Otherwise people will just buy Xbox Series X
People don't buy a console just because it's cheaper. They buy a console because it has the games they want to play and lots of it........XSS won't light the sales chart on fire just because it's priced low. DC had no chance against the PS2 and neither did GC and they were both $199 consoles vs the PS2 at $299.....It's really about the overall value you get from a product rather than if it is cheaper or not......Like I don't see anybody buying an XBOX Series S at $299 over a Digital PS5 console at $399, when the power difference is so substantial, the games look much better, the exclusives are guaranteed, the controller, the audio, the SSD and the console architecture is just more futureproofed and advanced.....These are the considerations people make, when weighing cheaper products vs more expensive ones....

Yet, I agree that Sony won't price the console at $599, they did some research on that. So even if it costs them much more than to manufacture than the XBOX Series X, I expect the high point to be $499.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Reactions: Isa

Soulja

even at $600 the ps5 would outsell the XSX like crazy.
W75vQvn.gif

Last edited:

Dane

You are very wrong: https://venturebeat.com/2013/11/29/...sts-381-and-why-this-matters-in-the-long-run/

"Safe costing measure" You haven't been around back then? Never head of how Sony got lucky with 8GB of GDDR5? Good times.

PS4 cost was 19 dollars under its retail price, Xbox One was 29 dollars, I remember that one calculated at 450 dollars, meaning that Microsoft was closer on getting a profit from each unit.

And yes, I've been around for more than a decade, I know that PS4 was even internally called Orbis and rumors is that they also wanted an online DRM and even to bundle with the PS Camera until Microsoft went there first and the shitstorm was made. The extra 4GB was something they managed at the last minute.

KingT731

I mean XB1 OG was more expensive than PS4. Why it would be bullshit, is up to choices what maker makes.
The OG XB1 also came with Kinect. The price went to 400 after dropping Kinect in June 2014 then again in November the price dropped again to 350.

Last edited:

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Not even close to trumps. You guys are ridiculous . Anything to discredit an opinion or someone u dont like. Its honestly pathetic.

Im going to agree with his estimate. 550 to 499 for the disc version.

People forget that we have had two generations in a row where the weaker console was more expensive at launch for inclusion of features or hardware later removed. (yes ps3 was the weaker console and xbox one was weaker.)

Might not be the case this time but sony has always thought its brand was premium. Anyway two days away.
I dont like both of them but we do have evidence in the past where he made up rumours about the ps5 performance because he felt he had to "even the odds" because that week microsoft was getting lots of bad press revolving around xbox, halo etc.

the guy dug his own hole

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
The OG XB1 also came with Kinect. The price went to 400 after dropping Kinect in June 2014 then again in November the price dropped again to 350.
Well but that does not change the situation that chip alone was more expensive due to eSRAM...thus worse yields and etc.

MS simply had to take the L and eat that money.

semicool

Banned
I dont like both of them but we do have evidence in the past where he made up rumours about the ps5 performance because he felt he had to "even the odds" because that week microsoft was getting lots of bad press revolving around xbox, halo etc.

the guy dug his own hole
Wat

Vawn

Banned
Both these systems are going to struggle mightily at $499. If Sony is thinking a penny over $500 they may as well not even show up. We've already seen this show with the PS3.

The 5th best selling home console ever? That one? They should just not show up?

Bergoglio

People don't buy a console just because it's cheaper. They buy a console because it has the games they want to play and lots of it........XSS won't light the sales chart on fire just because it's priced low. DC had no chance against the PS2 and neither did GC and they were both $199 consoles vs the PS2 at $299.....It's really about the overall value you get from a product rather than if it is cheaper or not......Like I don't see anybody buying an XBOX Series S at $299 over a Digital PS5 console at $399, when the power difference is so substantial, the games look much better, the exclusives are guaranteed, the controller, the audio, the SSD and the console architecture is just more futureproofed and advanced.....These are the considerations people make, when weighing cheaper products vs more expensive ones....

Yet, I agree that Sony won't price the console at $599, they did some research on that. So even if it costs them much more than to manufacture than the XBOX Series X, I expect the high point to be $499.

"It's really about the overall value you get from a product"

Game Pass + EA Play + NO online on payment (in the future) + Halo in 2021 + all first party on GP on day one at 299$.

249$ in 2023.

Last edited:
Mods locked my thread but this is just proof they don't understand the technical analysis involved, they can't reduce the price this late.

The last time he blabbered was for the purpose of balancing out the 'negative' Xbox news by introducing unsourced and unverified 'negative' PlayStation news. Given the negative reception to the XSS by developers, it's not out of the realm of possibility that Dusk woke up today with the intention of providing another deep tissue tonguing of Xbox's anus.

While the PS5 could indeed cost $600 or more to build (and subsequently retail for that price or higher), the source of that information is -- due to his own actions -- a recognized service provider for Xbox. Just keep that in mind.

semicool

Banned
Dusk golem lied about the ps5 performance wise and admitted that he made it up because xbox was getting bad press that week and wanted to make things "even" hoping other people would catch it and spread it around
Not true. He explicitly refuted those claims you are making and doubled down even.

Last edited:
Last gasp attempt at getting attention before the truth gets revealed.

This goes for the theoretical teraflops "advantage" too. Going to be a lot of tears for people who base their self identity on the paper specs of their console. I would say the same thing if it was the reverse.

Benchmarks for individual components are mostly meaningless in systems designed and optimized for a particular purpose. Functions can be distributed across multiple weaker components, for example, with equal or better results achieved by tweaking other design knobs. There's a lot more flexibility when you aren't building a general purpose machine that has to conform to predefined interfaces.

spons

Gold Member
I don't trust anyone regarding cost of console development. Unless you know what's in the legal contracts with AMD, RAM/NAND suppliers (tip: you don't) you're probably just talking out of your ass.

They cant go higher than 499. Otherwise people will just buy Xbox Series X
"It's really about the overall value you get from a product"

Game Pass + EA Play + NO online on payment (in the future) + Halo in 2021 + all first party on GP on day one at 299$.

249$ in 2023.

Are you two from US? Because from European viewpoint that sounds ridiculous.

Just so surreal that to some the situations seems to be seriously "people can get either one, both are feasible options and minor things can turn the heads to either one"

Because in reality xbox is almost non existent in many countries arount the world, like yeah they sell them, but there are no advertising and almost all console gamers have Playstation.

And console + gamepass+ all that stuff isnt 299, their deal were 25$ month for 24 months = 600$, so 150$ wasted to online service / year. And assuming that this monthly plan is cheaper than buying 299$ console + paying for those services, it is probably even more.

If people want cheap console, they just buy PS4, then buy games for 5-20€ and pay 40-60€/year for ps+.

If they want next gen, they probably get PS5 instead of more expensive xsex as majority already have ps4. (outside of US)

for 150$ you can get many games from sales/used, enough to play. Maybe for Americans it sounds like a good deal but no one I have asked thinks it is smart to pay for something you dont really need or can use, like having multiple video services if you have time to watch only one.

Only way here to make people buy xbox instead of ps5 would be some SUPER major fuck up by Sony.

Even at stores that sell games = 60-80% are PS4 games and rest are divided by switch/xbone

And xsex seems to cost 599€ here so it is DOA, even at 299-399€ it would probably sell les than 499-599€ PS5, that is how unpopular xbox brand just is.

Just weird how some people still believe that "fight" is somehow equal when most polls show that 70% or more are going to get PS5, and casuals usually follow what is popular.

Last edited:
Are you two from US? Because from European viewpoint that sounds ridiculous.

Just so surreal that to some the situations seems to be seriously "people can get either one, both are feasible options and minor things can turn the heads to either one"

Because in reality xbox is almost non existent in many countries arount the world, like yeah they sell them, but there are no advertising and almost all console gamers have Playstation.

And console + gamepass+ all that stuff isnt 299, their deal were 25$ month for 24 months = 600$, so 150$ wasted to online service / year. And assuming that this monthly plan is cheaper than buying 299$ console + paying for those services, it is probably even more.

If people want cheap console, they just buy PS4, then buy games for 5-20€ and pay 40-60€/year for ps+.

If they want next gen, they probably get PS5 instead of more expensive xsex as majority already have ps4. (outside of US)

for 150$ you can get many games from sales/used, enough to play. Maybe for Americans it sounds like a good deal but no one I have asked thinks it is smart to pay for something you dont really need or can use, like having multiple video services if you have time to watch only one.

Only way here to make people buy xbox instead of ps5 would be some SUPER major fuck up by Sony.

Even at stores that sell games = 60-80% are PS4 games and rest are divided by switch/xbone

And xsex seems to cost 599€ here so it is DOA, even at 299-399€ it would probably sell les than 499-599€ PS5, that is how unpopular xbox brand just is.

Just weird how some people still believe that "fight" is somehow equal when most polls show that 70% or more are going to get PS5, and casuals usually follow what is popular.

Yeah, worldwide XBOX hasn't even left a dent, it's America where it's big and even then it's still behind SONY's PS4.

Top Bottom