• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dusk Golem: PS5 costs around $600 at launch to produce

Jose92

[Membe
Maybe he saw the hype for the ps5 showcase so he wanted to balance the equation again :messenger_winking:

Even though Bloomberg said the estimated bill of materials is about $450 back in Feburary when NAND chips and gddr6 were high in price because of the lockdown in china and the uncertainty of the covid-19.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-with-playstation-5-price-due-to-costly-parts

Update :
Screenshot-2020-09-13-142829.png

Last edited:

Rolla

Banned
Why is given space on this forum?

Bloomberg said total cost was $450

Not only that but this higher price console is something Dusk was pushing while also at the very same time, admitting to pushing fud as documented on this very forum.

The Tweet.
RmgXaAc.jpg

The thread.

Last edited:

Jose92

[Membe
Report from Boomblerg says it cost $450

DuskGollem says it cost $600

One of them has to be lying cos both of them cant be right at the same time

One of them already proven as fud and banned from Era

Il leave it to you guys to judge and decide which one it is

Sorry but he is not banned and was not banned before. He was a mod, but self requested to be demodded as he is taking a paid editorial role on some random website.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Sorry but he is not banned and was not banned before. He was a mod, but self requested to be demodded as he is taking a paid editorial role on some random website.

I see

But no matter what his statement regarding playstation or anything that is not xbox related has become irrelevant and should be dissmised as hes known to spread missinformation

Im honestly quite surprised to see people here are still quoting him

Last edited:
No way Sony is making the weaker console more expensive. My prediction: 449 and 399.
Think about it: While the gpu is weaker than series x by about 2 tf, everything else is better e.g. ssd, custom i/o block, custom audio block, wifi6, bt5.1 etlc. These are things that are expensive. Not to mention the cooling solution that is rumoured to be overkill. So while the gpu may be slightly weaker, there are other parts that may very well drive the price up. So I think it is possible that it ends up being expensive than SeX but Sony HAS to keep it u/ 499. Sadly, I feel the price would be 549/449...

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
If sony wants to compete with less power.
They need to price the ps5 299 dollars
And the discless ps5. 249 or 199 dollars

that will keep them ahead of microsoft otherwise they are doomed.
Also the need tekken8 as a launch game.
And exclusive rights to final fantasy 16

Last edited:
I say this as a huge Sony fan, I think this time around their console design is inefficient and won't hit the sweet spot performance v.s. production cost.

Obviously if they price it right for the sales to pick up anyway it will be a pointless discussion as prices will eventually adjust anyway.

One of them has to be lying cos both of them cant be right at the same time
They could both be wrong.
If sony wants to compete with less power.
They need to price the ps5 299 dollars
And the discless ps5. 249 or 199 dollars
I think the discless PS5 could sell for 399, just like last time, and the disc based system around 450... but having a half-gen system selling at 299.99 could shuffle the cards a bit... I'm just not sure people want xboxes to begin with, the xbox one has been on fire sale since the beginning of the generation and it never really caught up (at best in the US it almost held up in sales a couple of months over the last 7 years).

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
i can’t imagine this will cost more than Series X. If it does it will be 550 maximum and that is justifiable being in the dominant position with 1st party titles etc. I can see Series X and PS5 both being 500 however with the digital edition being 50 or 100 lower maximum. Not long to wait either way but no way this is costing 600.....hopefully :)

Last edited:
Welp, he's been right about several things of late so there's a chance he could be correct on this, too.

I never quite got to understanding the people insisting the system was relatively cheap to produce. For one it needs "higher grade" silicon for the GPU clocks, then there are the costs associated with Tempest Engine and the I/O block hardware, not just in terms of R&D but also the actual BOM costs those will chomp into the budget (even if ultimately money is saved by handling most of that production in-house on those components...at least I think that would be the case).

The BOM itself may not push $600 but if you then consider the associated costs of assembly, QA testing, and marketing broken down per-unit I can see the associative costs hitting near it. Especially once you consider the controller and the features it will have, and the level of quality I'm sure they'd want to achieve with them (i.e don't go putting no cheap-ass mic into that controller!).

Another reason I think he might be right is because the Series S, IMHO, is definitely at a higher BOM relative the retail price, and that system is only providing less than half the graphical performance of PS5 and with both a smaller and slower SSD, more "basic" controller etc. Yet rumors suggest MS are taking a bigger loss on that than even Series X, so the idea Series S BOM could be closer to $350-$400 is possible, then, again, you have to factor in assembly costs and the such. I'd say Series X's BOM is probably either close to $500 or just very slightly north of it, then with the aforementioned assembly, marketing etc. costs per unit it's likely $600 for total production costs or a little north of that.

FWIW I don't think PS5 Digital removing the Blu-Ray disc drive brings BOM prices down much at all; the disc drive would only cost Sony probably $15, maybe $20, since I imagine they could manufacture it themselves plus they wouldn't need to pay the royalty fee (why would they when it is a technology they helped create?)

quest

Not Banned from OT
One hilarious thing is, why would PlayStation hold out so hard for so long just to price higher?
Either hoping Microsoft would price high with them. Or build so much hype price won't matter which they I think they have done. They could easily sell out at 599-549 or 549-499. If I'm on the Sony board I would not allow extra losses right now because warriors since it will sell out for a while.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
One hilarious thing is, why would PlayStation hold out so hard for so long just to price higher?
This man gets it. Sony was waiting to see if they could undercut or match MS to not rile up their fans etc. If Sony went first this would be a totally different story

Last edited:
Welp, he's been right about several things of late so there's a chance he could be correct on this, too.

I never quite got to understanding the people insisting the system was relatively cheap to produce. For one it needs "higher grade" silicon for the GPU clocks, then there are the costs associated with Tempest Engine and the I/O block hardware, not just in terms of R&D but also the actual BOM costs those will chomp into the budget (even if ultimately money is saved by handling most of that production in-house on those components...at least I think that would be the case).

The BOM itself may not push $600 but if you then consider the associated costs of assembly, QA testing, and marketing broken down per-unit I can see the associative costs hitting near it. Especially once you consider the controller and the features it will have, and the level of quality I'm sure they'd want to achieve with them (i.e don't go putting no cheap-ass mic into that controller!).

Another reason I think he might be right is because the Series S, IMHO, is definitely at a higher BOM relative the retail price, and that system is only providing less than half the graphical performance of PS5 and with both a smaller and slower SSD, more "basic" controller etc. Yet rumors suggest MS are taking a bigger loss on that than even Series X, so the idea Series S BOM could be closer to $350-$400 is possible, then, again, you have to factor in assembly costs and the such. I'd say Series X's BOM is probably either close to $500 or just very slightly north of it, then with the aforementioned assembly, marketing etc. costs per unit it's likely $600 for total production costs or a little north of that.

FWIW I don't think PS5 Digital removing the Blu-Ray disc drive brings BOM prices down much at all; the disc drive would only cost Sony probably $15, maybe $20, since I imagine they could manufacture it themselves plus they wouldn't need to pay the royalty fee (why would they when it is a technology they helped create?)

Did you see the update?

Screenshot-2020-09-13-142829.png

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Link, wana have a laugh
The pic in previous post.
IMO for me saying he is not asking for attention just shows he is really asking for attention.

It is not the first time he does that.

PS. I can sent you the link via pm if you wish... I don’t think it is worthy to post a ERA link here in GAF.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

dont tell me just because recently XSS kind of get mixed reception by developers, so he want to 'balance' things out? lol.

Joke aside I doubt cerny developed the console without estimate the overall cost including retail price. Especially if they are learning from ps3 mistake and ps4's success. Obviously both MS and Sony have limit to maximum price of single unit which is the hardware will be designed around that.

Last edited:
I really dont think it will be 600. They have been prepared to lose money on consoles sold since the PS1.

They want a fast transition, and they want it even faster for the DE. I think the DE will be $399 and the disc version will be $499.

It doesn't matter what the drive actually costs, its the perception of the price from the consumers point of view that matters. Sony knows $399 is a sweet spot, and they will make far more money within 12 months off DE users to make up for the loss. This is already a write off in their books.

Bryank75

Banned
dont tell me just because recently XSS kind of get mixed reception by developers, so he want to 'balance' things out? lol.

Joke aside I doubt cerny developed the console without estimate the overall cost including retail price. Especially if they are learning from ps3 mistake and ps4's success. Obviously both MS and Sony have limit to maximum price of single unit which is the hardware will be designed around that.
Plus, thinking about it the only thing that seemed like it could be expensive is the liquid metal cooling, do we know for sure they are using that?

Top Bottom