• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2 Releases on Steam with $40 worth of microtransactions .Currently with 'Mostly Negative' Reviews on Steam

LordCBH

It's not a bad decision though. Capcom wants you to have a unique adventure and to deal with your actions. As others have mentioned, the game allows you to customize yourself within the actual game. This is seriously OCD and FOMO triggering people.

So you’re saying there’s zero downside to including the option to play different characters without nuking your save. Glad we’re on the same page. No reason to lock a SINGLE PLAYER GAME to ONE character.

Reallink

Its an interesting mechanic to monetise. Whats next, extra save slots for a £1? So, good to see it being called out. Having said that, it wouldnt stop me buying the game. Bad performance would and has though (PS5).
You joke, but that is actually a common microtransaction in online RPGs and MMO's and would somehow seem less ridiculous than charging for fast travel points or character creation rerolls.

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Gold Member
It seems like the Art of Metamorphosis (the item which allows you to edit your character's/pawn's appearance) is available get in-game with Rift Crystals, but it's a one-time use item only and stocks are limited. It's rather like the first game in that regard. Source: https://game8.co/games/Dragons-Dogma-2/archives/448513

It's still very scummy that you have only one character slot and that deleting your save to create a new character apparently counts as an additional activation with Denuvo, but again, the first game worked much the same way. Disappointing that Capcom has not improved their design since DD1 over ten years ago.

fart town usa

Gold Member
So you’re saying there’s zero downside to including the option to play different characters without nuking your save. Glad we’re on the same page. No reason to lock a SINGLE PLAYER GAME to ONE character.
Capcom went over this weeks/months ago.

It's an artistic choice to have the game be restrictive when it comes to save scumming/FOMO. I respect it. I think it's brutal and I can see why it upsets people but I still respect it as a design choice. This is your game, go play it and see what happens. Learn to live with your actions. We don't see stuff like that too often with major releases. I thinks it's refreshing.

Fabieter

Why though?

Does save scumming effect other people's experience of the game?

If you want single save then larian has an option for that.

Sorry, but why does the way I play my game bother you? I paid good money for it and so you better believe I expect to be able to save the game whenever I like, especially in a game with so many lengthy combat encounters.

Playing a rpg and dont settle with your descions feels weird.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

So hang on, I'm just getting caught up here. Can anyone confirm?
  • Are these micro transactions in every version or just PC?
  • You're telling me you can't start a new game at all? Or you just can't alter your character after you create them, but you can start the story over?

Fake

Gamers are never happy. Starfield has fast travel options coming out of each hole, people complain. DD2 has limited fast travel, with the option to buy more fast travel, people complain.

We are paying $70 this gen lol

Don't come blame gamers when the industry die or make layoffs.

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

It seems like the Art of Metamorphosis (the item which allows you to edit your character's/pawn's appearance) is available get in-game with Rift Crystals, but it's a one-time use item only and stocks are limited. It's rather like the first game in that regard. Source: https://game8.co/games/Dragons-Dogma-2/archives/448513

It's still very scummy that you have only one character slot and that deleting your save to create a new character apparently counts as an additional activation with Denuvo, but again, the first game worked much the same way. Disappointing that Capcom has not improved their design since DD1 over ten years ago.
They did, MHW and MHR has multiple save files options, they just dont want to implement this in DD2 for reasons that only they know.

Rubim

• You're telling me you can't start a new game at all? Or you just can't alter your character after you create them, but you can start the story over?
Why would this just be in pc? The very plataform where you can mod the fuck out of everything?

Regarless:

xVodevil

Havent played it, but it reads like the usual pay-to-cheat microtransactions which Capcom is doing since years plus some design choices taken over from the first game. Not sure why people get pissed this time, but not with the other games?

If oldschool Resident Evil was still a thing, they would probably have microtransactions for more ink ribbons and people would be "WHAT?? YOU NEED TO PAY TO SAVE THE GAME?!" and completely ignore that these games would throw more than enough ink ribbons at you..
Yeah, I mean even a trainer can get you some of that stuff on PC

At least they aren't selling extra fps for the cities though :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Zheph

All platforms
Can't start story over, just one save so you'll have to delete it

Topher

Gold Member
All of these things were in the first game too and you don't need any of it.
The portcrystals you get by playing the game, but you actually need to place them manually; ferrystones were a limited resource, but you'd effectively have infinite amounts of them just by playing, dark arisen added an infinite ferrystone.
Changing appearance was also done in-game with buying a scroll to do so, and it's the same here in DD2, you can just buy it in-game if you need a different look. The first game also had an infinite scroll after beating the dragon.
You'll earn RC constantly and probably won't ever run out.
Wakestones you'll be swimming in as well.

Of all these I can only see portcrystals as giving an advantage, but it's kind of a wack advantage because you still need to travel to a place where it's worth to place one...which you won't know unless you've already been most places.

Going to highlight this post because I think we need to clear up how fast travel works.

Settlements have Portcrystals which are fast travel points.

To use a PortCrystal to travel between major settlements you must use a Ferrystone. Ferrystones are bought with in game money.

You cannot buy Ferrystones with real money.

You can also travel between major settlements via ox carts. This will cause time to pass and if traveling at night, you will likely get attacked. This costs minimal gold. 200g

None of the above involves MTX.

What does require a purchase is if you wish to place a Portcrystal where ever you want in the world. That you have to buy, but you still have to use Ferrystones to use it. Seems rather useless to me.

If I got any of that wrong, feel free to correct me.

Last edited:

Mephisto40

Going to highlight this post because I think we need to clear up how fast travel works.

To use a PortCrystal to travel between major settlements you must use a Ferrystone.

You can also travel between major settlements via ox carts. This will cause time to pass and if traveling at night, you will likely get attacked.

What does require a purchase is if you wish to place a Portcrystal where ever you want in the world. That you have to buy, but you still have to use Ferrystones to use it. Seems rather useless to me.

I think the part people are finding baffling is that they made the ferrystone unlimited use in the first game as part of the Dark Arison DLC, and then they've gone back and made it a one use item again, even though it was number 1 on the list of changes with the previous games expansion due to how many people disliked it

Topher

Gold Member
I think the part people are finding baffling is that they made the ferrystone unlimited use in the first game as part of the Dark Arison DLC, and then they've gone back and made it a one use item again, even though it was number 1 on the list of changes with the previous games expansion due to how many people disliked it

Sure....I think that is a legit criticism for those who want a more comprehensive fast travel system. I'm just trying to emphasize that the base functionality for fast travel in DD2 using existing Portcrystal points has nothing to do with microtransactions.

Edit: Also, I think the dev may have introduced the ox carts as a compromise to unlimited ferrystones.

Last edited:

SaintALia

E4PpXCd.jpg
Can only speak to the first game but....

Paying for portcrystals does kinda suck, but New Game plus allows you to keep Portcrystals and extend port crystals locations to about 10 iirc(you're locked at 5 in standard play).

Wakestones are tricky. You don't really need them in DD1, but since you can kill the NPCs and revive them with wakestones, it may make you use them more. I only recall two instances where you could use them for that in DD1. One where you kill a Sanctuary member and revived him if you wanted to, or that Mercedes fight with that guy who you could revive if you stepped in.

Rift Crystals. Considering most of the extra game content isn't here, I'm guessing you'll mostly be spending this to hire high level pawns. Does seem a bit P2W but I dunno.

You can purchase art of metamorphosis in Gran Soren in DD1. Don't remember from which vendor. You could also change some aspects of your appearance at the Barber Shop(but I've never used it) Is this actually locked to real world money purachse? Okay just checked, it cost 5000 RC, you can only use it once per playthrough, it refreshes in New Game +, you can also change your appearance when you start New Game +

I always hated that one game save thing for DD. I know I've seen people defend it a lot, but it's super annoying. I play, I hit level 200 and max and want to start over, but still want to keep my old character for reference, I have to go find my save file, back it up, go offline and replace the files. Instead of simply starting a new game and having my old save game. It wasn't about save scumming.

So...umm...no New Game + then huh?

The more I see of this game, the more I want to wait for a Dark Arisen style expansion. The PC performance situation has put me off buying for a while waiting for fixes, but I think I may wait for that DD2 Darker Arisen.

Last edited:

LordCBH

Capcom went over this weeks/months ago.

It's an artistic choice to have the game be restrictive when it comes to save scumming/FOMO. I respect it. I think it's brutal and I can see why it upsets people but I still respect it as a design choice. This is your game, go play it and see what happens. Learn to live with your actions. We don't see stuff like that too often with major releases. I thinks it's refreshing.

Having multiple character slots doesn’t enable save scumming. And who gives a fuck if it did? It’s a single player game. Stop defending shitty design choices.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Should things like this effect review scores?
They don’t. Reviewers didn’t had this and they coped. Or did they had everything unlocked ?

imo it’s not that bad. Game like this deserves a blind eye on this crap and just ignoring it. Not full downright boycotting.
It’s not like they are doing gaas on the side.

Juza

Now we are getting a new “feature” will allow players to restart the game, and It's exclusive to Steam version. LOL

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GJRxgRSXYAAjEXw?format=jpg&name=medium

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member

To use a PortCrystal to travel between major settlements you must use a Ferrystone. Ferrystones are bought with in game money.

You can also travel between major settlements via ox carts. This will cause time to pass and if traveling at night, you will likely get attacked.

Have you come across a water spring that cures everything, and lots of health?

I had a portcrystal always set up near the one north side the capital in the first game. I always had my pawns carry an obscene amount, lol.

lifa-cobex

We have f2p selling skins for the worth of fullprice games, that shit is way worse.
As shit as the skins thing is and totally unacceptable, It's not locking a mainstay core mechanic out of a game.
It's all shit.

The thing is. I understand corps doing it. They want money.
Totally understandable.

What I don't understand is people defending it.
We shouldn't be allowing any of this crap and boycotting the lot.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Between the outrage over Ronin and now DD2, glad to see that modern gamers are just as reasonable as they've always been during launch week.

🤣

Fabieter

As shit as the skins thing is and totally unacceptable, It's not locking a mainstay core mechanic out of a game.
It's all shit.

Totally understandable.

Well if this is the inconvenience I have to still get conplete aaa sp games in the future so be it. Can't fucking stand the f2p cash grabs.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Now were here....

And people are defending it by saying it's normal.

Gamers deserve this.

Is it a generational thing? I grew up on games you paid for and played. None of this MTX shit. The horse armour that started this bullshit was mid-noughties. Is it us Gen X'ers who won't stand for this greedy shit because we know what it's like without it?

I think you are in the minority there I'm afraid

I don't think many people are going to be playing a 60+ hour RPG over and over again, just because thats "when the game gets good"
The game is good from the start
The best gear is available from dragon forging via ng+ which can be sped thro in 15 mins using those limited Portcrystals you are so worried about

You're losing out on new content too, I'm positive there are new quests, and maybe a few new npc's, more leveling, and seeing if any different choices changes the story at all... All ready for endgame BB island and UR dragon runs

Your loss if you didn't see all the content available

Last edited:

Mithos

Its an interesting mechanic to monetise. Whats next, extra save slots for a £1? So, good to see it being called out. Having said that, it wouldnt stop me buying the game. Bad performance would and has though (PS5).

You joke, but that is actually a common microtransaction in online RPGs and MMO's and would somehow seem less ridiculous than charging for fast travel points or character creation rerolls.

Yeah also. it's not as low as £1 either, think most extra character slots is ~us$10/€10

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
It's all shit.

Totally understandable.

It isn’t locking anything out. If you want to be enraged, at least learn what you are being enraged about.

Laptop1991

And this is why i spend less and less money on games, microtransaction's should not be in 60/70 quid SP games at all, no matter what corporate excuses anyone makes, they ruin the focus of the games and stories, that's always been my opinion and it always will be.

Honestly don't get the outrage over the MTX. It's a singleplayer game. You can fast travel crystals in game without spending money. This isn't pay to win in a multiplayer game. If someone wants to pay real money to buy in game items that you can easily buy with in game currency so they can get through the game quicker, who cares. Doesn't effect my game.

There are bigger issues that are legit complaints IMO:
- Framerate issues
- Inability to start save over

As for more save slots, I also don't get this complaint. Elden Ring and every souls game has a single save slot to prevent save scumming. The inability to start a new save with a new character? That's an issue. Having unlimited or multiple save slots per game, not that big of a deal.

Slimboy Fat

So many new big game have performance problems it really cuts into your enjoyment imo. 60fps is so important for gameplay. Much more so than good graphics.

Elden ring has stutters on PC and drops frames on consoles with bad framepacing. BG3 is heavily CPU bound (perhaps the worst kind of limitation) in act 3. Jedi survivor is also CPU limited and stutters. Wo Long has stutters and drops frames. DD2 is heavily CPU-limited and has crap framerate on consoles. Etc. etc.

It's getting really frustrating tbh

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Have you come across a water spring that cures everything, and lots of health?

I had a portcrystal always set up near the one north side the capital in the first game. I always had my pawns carry an obscene amount, lol.
ooh I forgot about that spring, I think everyone had a portcrystal set up there lol; wouldn't surprise me if there's something similar here.

ooh I forgot about that spring, I think everyone had a portcrystal set up there lol; wouldn't surprise me if there's something similar here.
Half way between the forest area with a roaming dragon and the bandit castle, I had a PC plonked there. Wasn't too far from the mine area too?

hemo memo

Gold Member
I'm okay with MTX in this as long as they aren't advertised within the game and don't affect the core gameplay in any way, shape or form.

fart town usa

Gold Member
So many new big game have performance problems it really cuts into your enjoyment imo. 60fps is so important for gameplay. Much more so than good graphics.

Elden ring has stutters on PC and drops frames on consoles with bad framepacing. BG3 is heavily CPU bound (perhaps the worst kind of limitation) in act 3. Jedi survivor is also CPU limited and stutters. Wo Long has stutters and drops frames. DD2 is heavily CPU-limited and has crap framerate on consoles. Etc. etc.

It's getting really frustrating tbh
I'm still playing PS4 ER on the PS5 for that locked 60 😅

Top Bottom