• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2 Releases on Steam with $40 worth of microtransactions .Currently with 'Mostly Negative' Reviews on Steam

LRKD

Kinda pisses me off that this is the capcom release that gets called out for Crapcom's microtransactions, where tf was the outrage when Resident Evil 4 Remake was selling weapon upgrades as microtransactions? Where was it when DMC4&5 were selling orbs? Where was it when MHW was actually locking character customization behind microtransactions? This has been a capcom problem for 15 years. And only now that DD2 releases it's a real problem.

Like I'm glad it's being called out, by why the hell not on any of these other games? And are people going to call it out when MH does it again? Or is it magically going to not be a problem again like it's been?

Topher

Gold Member
It’s staggering how many people defend this practice nowadays.

I have to wonder if people’s emotional attachment to the previous game is shaping their decisions.

More likely folks are enjoying the game and the mere existence of this DLC isn't having any impact on that. The fact that most of this DLC is completely needless is a big reason why folks ain't as triggered as others.

Fabieter

It's so stupid to complain about mtc in a single player game. If it helps fund a DD3 or expansions let the whales eat!

This! If this flops because of the shitstorm the massage gonna be no more Dragons dogma 3 not no more mtx in our games.

KàIRóS

The most ridiculous part about this, is the fact that 12 years ago Capcom did the exact same thing in Dragon's Dogma 1 and nobody gave a fuck, all those items can be found in game and are in no way needed to progress.

Fast travel is not locked behind microtransactions, stop believing and spreading lies, don't be a tool, the game is designed around not fast traveling to force the player into exploring, it has random encounters and emergent gameplay that wouldn't be able to happen if you were just teleporting everywhere, it worked exactly the same in DD1, it's a game design choice, but even then the game has 2 fast traveling options and they are not locked behind MTX.

I would argue that this speaks more about the people crying than about Capcom, so you want those MTX in order to what? finish the game sooner? make the game easier? that's wild to me, you basically see gaming as a job at that point, something you want to be done with as soon as possible, instead of a fun activity.

LRKD

Part of it is no reviews mentioning it beforehand, and part of it is DD1 being released on PC only in its final form, without MTX, thus people not expecting this shit in its sequel.
I don't know... Is that not all also true for last year's RE4 remake? I doubt any review mentioned it's mxt before release. And RE4 2004 had released without mtx, and so I doubt people really expected it in it's remake. And yet I never heard or saw any complaits about it's microtransactions.

I think maybe for some people there is a little bit of truth there with your reasons. But from what I've seen I think it most comes down to 2 different issues.
1. People are mad about it's poor performance, and DRM, and are now looking for any other issues to dogpile on.
2. A complete misunderstanding of what the MTX even are. I am constatnly seeing false statements that recustomizing characters, and fast travel are LOCKED behind the MTX.
I think if it had a smooth launch like RE4, and it was much clearer that the MTX are just useless junk like other capcom games MTX, it would've been ignored and forgotten about.

Again, not that I think it's defendable, I do think it's deserves calling out. It just pisses me off that it's been ignored for 15 years, and if capcoms next game releases well received, I'm willing to bet my money that the scummy mtxs will be ignored again. I really do hope I'm proven wrong however.

Doczu

This! If this flops because of the shitstorm the massage gonna be no more Dragons dogma 3 not no more mtx in our games.
It's so stupid to complain about mtc in a single player game. If it helps fund a DD3 or expansions let the whales eat!
Please do us a favor and stop playing video games.
Cause it sounds like you're ready to be pegged raw and say thank you for it.

Denton

I don't know... Is that not all also true for last year's RE4 remake?
RE4 and DD are very different games, I don't doubt lot of people who are interested in DD2 did not play other RE4 or other capcom games. DD2 competes with RPGs, and e.g. BG3 or Cyberpunk or even Starfield have no MTX.

Personally, I consider it unacceptable shit in a premium 70 euro game and will happily let the company know. And consider people who defend it to be self-defeating morons.

Tomi

Up to 46% positive reviews now on Steam.
I thought this game will hit over 90 percent positive, but this stupid idea from developers buried that...
I think we wont see anything above 70 percent anymore
Such a stupid mistake,

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Please do us a favor and stop playing video games.
Cause it sounds like you're ready to be pegged raw and say thank you for it.
because I don't care that they want to sell $3 mtx items that are basic items you can get in game that does not change my experience at all?

tobey-maguire-gonna-cry.gif

Last edited:

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Well my comment got deleted in this thread for calling folks who support these kinds of practices, morons. Yet, here we are with folks they hire to rip you off, running tests, and doing just that.

Some of you must have Stockholm Syndrome, you just want to get beat down till you pay a dollar to reload your gun, seeing we have been pushed to pay just to change your character. Soon we will be paying a monthly fee to start our vehicles, or watch an ad instead and some of you not so bright folks will role right along with it till your broke and then complain how this happened.

It’s staggering how many people defend this practice nowadays.

I have to wonder if people’s emotional attachment to the previous game is shaping their decisions.

Or maybe that's coming from people who actually play this game that literally doesn't advertise a single MTX anywhere, so the only people that could be outraged are the ones caught in a Twitter/reddit bubble.

Last edited:

Zathalus

The only issues with this game is the terrible performance and not being able to create a new character. The MTX items really have zero impact on the game, as you can find the times readily enough.

CLW

Fuck microtransactions, especially in single player games. Don't care if they're "optional". Don't care if they're "pointless". They shouldn't be there.
Yeah - micro-transactions are basically ad admission of INTENTIONAL POOR GAME DESIGN “forcing” the player to pay up or just deal with the intentionally shitty game design

Griffon

You can still fast travel and changer your character without buying the microtransactions. These microtransactions are no different than the orbs in DMC, completely useless and just predatory to ignorant players.

You do realize those MTX caused the death animations of DMC5 to last a whole fucking minute, whereas in the old games you could restart instantly? The fact you refuse to see it doesn't mean there isn't an active malicious effect on game design. Making things as tedious as possible for players who don't buy-in.

Last edited:

Tajaz2426

Or maybe that's coming from people who actually play this game that literally doesn't advertise a single MTX anywhere, so the only people that could be outraged are the ones caught in a Twitter/reddit bubble.
yeah, I don’t have the Twitter or this reddit thingy. either. I do know however, that any micro transactions in a full priced game is a disgusting trend. If they have these items for sale for real currency, you can guarantee the game was made around them to push you towards them.

It also doesn’t change the fact that those who defend these practices are just followers and still have the mind of children. I do not purchase things at a price point to then be told that I will need to pay extra to fast travel, change my appearance, get whatever their coins are, buy digital goods with no value, etc.

I do not care if folks have played the game or not, if they enjoyed it or not, a game with any real currency is not worth the price of entry.

The folks that have bought this game with these microtransactions even if they do not buy them, tell the developers that is ok to keep putting these in games. Some folks just have brain matter between their ears and can see where we started, where we are at presently, and see where it is headed. They will push more and more until they can no longer empty your account. Then there are bootlickers who will feast on whatever a company puts out and bend over and enjoy it.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I do not care if folks have played the game or not, if they enjoyed it or not, a game with any real currency is not worth the price of entry.

Here's the thing though. If those MTX were removed tomorrow, the game would be no better or no worse for it.

It really is that simple and stupid. Gullible people are being whipped up into a frenzy over something that really doesn't matter!

The people who are pushing this narrative -and let's be real here, some people are exploiting this for clicks and clout- rather than trying to defuse it, are the biggest problem here in my estimation.

All that needs to be said, is that nobody needs to buy them. Just enjoy the damn game without, because all they represent is a means to shorten the very experience you are being asked to pay for!

drotahorror

The most ridiculous part about this, is the fact that 12 years ago Capcom did the exact same thing in Dragon's Dogma 1 and nobody gave a fuck, all those items can be found in game and are in no way needed to progress.

Fast travel is not locked behind microtransactions, stop believing and spreading lies, don't be a tool, the game is designed around not fast traveling to force the player into exploring, it has random encounters and emergent gameplay that wouldn't be able to happen if you were just teleporting everywhere, it worked exactly the same in DD1, it's a game design choice, but even then the game has 2 fast traveling options and they are not locked behind MTX.

I would argue that this speaks more about the people crying than about Capcom, so you want those MTX in order to what? finish the game sooner? make the game easier? that's wild to me, you basically see gaming as a job at that point, something you want to be done with as soon as possible, instead of a fun activity.

I don't give a shit about the fast travel stuff. The most alarming thing to me was the fact that you have only 1 save file and can't even start over if you wanted to without some tomfollery.

Can you defend that?

Like I can defend Helldivers 2 MTX easily, I honestly want to hear the defense for this part.

I'm not even surprised about DD2, I knew it would have performance problems and mtx. The one save is the biggest thing to me, and then the customization part.

If they have these items for sale for real currency, you can guarantee the game was made around them to push you towards them.

Well, I've played it long enough to safely guarantee that this isn't the case. I've seen no option to access any real money shop ingame. There's no advertisments to go buy MTX in any menu or any graphic. If you started this game without the knowledge of these internet drama bubbles, you would never know that this game has microtransactions. It's feature complete and balanced like any well paced singleplayer game. Also, as someone who is still playing it unpatched offline, this game is much more polished than your average Western open world game. But hey, keep angrily describing a thing you have never touched, lol.

What Capcom is doing is milking people who are desperate enough to actively seek for ways to cheat with money. That's what they've been doing with their games since Devil May Cry 5. Not the classiest thing, but also the least intrusive MTX approach possible with no visible impact on their campaigns. Honestly, their approach for standard DLC irks me way more.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah - micro-transactions are basically ad admission of INTENTIONAL POOR GAME DESIGN “forcing” the player to pay up or just deal with the intentionally shitty game design

Forcing?

I don't give a shit about the fast travel stuff. The most alarming thing to me was the fact that you have only 1 save file and can't even start over if you wanted to without some tomfollery.

Can you defend that?

That has nothing to do with microtransactions. But yeah, it is stupid.

If they have these items for sale for real currency, you can guarantee the game was made around them to push you towards them.

Not true. There isn't even any indication when you are playing that you can even buy any of the stuff you get in game

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member

Can you defend that?

Like I can defend Helldivers 2 MTX easily, I honestly want to hear the defense for this part.

I'm not even surprised about DD2, I knew it would have performance problems and mtx. The one save is the biggest thing to me, and then the customization part.

No one is defending that nor is that the thing the majority of detractors are focusing on. The save situation is BS and needs to be fixed yesterday

Mithos

Not true. There isn't even any indication when you are playing that you can even buy any of the stuff you get in game
So you have the drop rates for items ingame before and after the decision to add the MTX to the game?
Until some Capcom employee decides to leak that info (verified by multiple trustful people), I'll assume the droprate was altered/adjusted to accommodate the MTX in some way.

Tajaz2426

Forcing?

Yeah, it’s true. The store isn’t in the game at all, even every time you start at the main menu? You think they will spend money having folks setup microtransactions without the game in anyway pushing you towards spending money? Yeah, not true at all.

Pop

This mtx drama is way overblown. I expect the other issues like one save and performance issues have caused the internet to latch on to the mtx fiasco

You got to be real dumb to not understand the mtx situation or obviously just want views for the outrage.

Should they be there? Hell no, just like the other Capcom games

CLW

UK uses the Europe-wide system, not its own, and there are plenty of similar games which are PEGI 18 so I'm not sure why you're surprised.
Forcing?

I used “Forcing” but a more exact word would be “nudging” basically they are INTENTIONALLY making a shitty game design element of the game to tempt “force” “nudge” the player into paying extra to get around the INTENTIONALLY shitty game design

ea does it with ultimate team card games hell NEARLY all microtrx are based on the concept of “it’s optional” to get around our intentionally shitty game design

Topher

Gold Member
So you have the drop rates for items ingame before and after the decision to add the MTX to the game?
Until some Capcom employee decides to leak that info (verified by multiple trustful people), I'll assume the droprate was altered/adjusted to accommodate the MTX in some way.

I have no idea about any of that, but how are "drop rates" going to do anything for fast travel when the portals never ever drop at all. They are where they are.

Yeah, it’s true. The store isn’t in the game at all, even every time you start at the main menu? You think they will spend money having folks setup microtransactions without the game in anyway pushing you towards spending money? Yeah, not true at all.

Plenty of games have a store option in the main menu. That isn't "pushing" people to spend money. Pushing would be in-game notices or in-game currency that can only be purchased with real game money. There is none of that in this game. If you think a store option in the main menu is "pushing" then you must go nuts every time you launch more than half the games you play.

Rant about MTX all you want, but try to do so without hyperbole.

I used “Forcing” but a more exact word would be “nudging” basically they are INTENTIONALLY making a shitty game design element of the game to tempt “force” “nudge” the player into paying extra

They ain't even "nudging" man. Where are you seeing this in the game. I'm assuming you are playing it.......right?

Last edited:

Mithos

I have no idea about any of that, but how are "drop rates" going to do anything for fast travel when the portals never ever drop at all. They are where they are.
I thought you had to have an item to use them, isn't that what all the fuzz is about, that you can buy these items for money and fast-travel way more then someone who don't pay?

Tajaz2426

Plenty of games have a store option in the main menu. That isn't "pushing" people to spend money. Pushing would be in-game notices or in-game currency that can only be purchased with real game money. There is none of that in this game. If you think a store option in the main menu is "pushing" then you must go nuts every time you launch more than half the games you play.

Rant about MTX all you want, but try to do so without hyperbole.

They ain't even "nudging" man. Where are you seeing this in the game. I'm assuming you are playing it.......right?

If it is there every time you start the game, it is pushing you there. They would not put them in games if they did not want you purchasing them. People will see them by curiosity and then will notice while playing the game.

They hire psychologists for this reason, they know some folks cannot resist, especially young teenagers and young adults and it conditions them to believing storefronts to spend real money are normal. They are not normal that’s why they hire folks to trick people into consuming them.

I cannot say what I really want to about the folks they abuse with these systems, as it appears I keep getting deleted. In the end they prey on the uneducated and folks with poor impulse control.

I also do not play games that try to sell me items after I paid full price for the goods. I am very forward and spare no feelings, as in my house it is frowned upon spending money you worked hard for, on digital goods with no real world value. My kids are older now and adults, but you get nice nicknames like half-retard that my son is still called in his 20s for spending real money on a digital haircut.

Last edited:

Kacho

I thought you had to have an item to use them, isn't that what all the fuzz is about, that you can buy these items for money and fast-travel way more then someone who don't pay?
The resource needed to fast travel are ferrystones but you can’t buy those with real money. Those have to be obtained in-game. People are complaining that you can buy a port crystal which is a fast travel point you place in the world. Only 10 port crystals can exist on the map.

Topher

Gold Member

You know the fast travel points in games? Like the sign post in Witcher 3. You can buy the equivalent of a sign post in DD2 and put it whever you want. They are called Portcrystals. But there is not "drop rate" for a Portcrystal. They don't drop at all.

If it is there every time you start the game, it is pushing you there.

Fundamental disagreement so no point in continuing this.

Topher Topher , as someone who has played DD2, have you ever been forced, nudged, pointed towards, held at ransom to go onto the online shop at any time during your playtime since launch?

Last edited:

night13x

CRAPcom is back in full force. I guess after all the bad press, they will need to win their gamer's hearts back by making Resident Evil Re-Re-Re-Re-REmake 4.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Topher Topher , as someone who has played DD2, have you ever been forced, nudged, pointed towards, held at ransom to go onto the online shop at any time during your playtime since launch?

Not Topher, but I know I haven't. There is no point in buying any of the MTX unless you have the IQ of a gnat.

I understand folks being annoyed that the option even exists. It shouldn't. It doesn't improve anything. However, it also doesn't make anything *worse*. It is completely inoffensive in its implementation. No one should be interacting with the MTX or buying any of it, not because of any personal issues or stances against monetization in games, but because it does *nothing*. Its a waste of time and money in the most basic stance.

The store is akin to buying sand when you can just walk to a beach and pick some up.

Not Topher, but I know I haven't. There is no point in buying any of the MTX unless you have the IQ of a gnat.

I understand folks being annoyed that the option even exists. It shouldn't. It doesn't improve anything. However, it also doesn't make anything *worse*. It is completely inoffensive in its implementation. No one should be interacting with the MTX or buying any of it, not because of any personal issues or stances against monetization in games, but because it does *nothing*. Its a waste of time and money in the most basic stance.

The store is akin to buying sand when you can just walk to a beach and pick some up.
Thank you

eGI3ZOl.gif

KàIRóS

Can you defend that?

If you mean not having the New Game option, no I can't defend that, it should be in the game, but it seems like they are working on it at least.

If you mean the saving system as a whole, I can kind of defend that. There are actually 2 save slots in DD2: your main save slot which stores manual and autosaves and the inn save slot which saves everytime you stay at an inn, it is not ideal but you can work around using those 2 save slots, it's actually better compared to the first game which had a main save slot and a checkpoint save slot, the checkpoint was way worse in DD1 because it was directly tied to story progression and would directly overwrite the main save slot, this time though you can technically come back to the inn save, so far it does seem to be completely separate, so if a player wants to see other outcomes on quests or whatever I think it is possible.

Now, why is the save system programmed like this? I obviously don't know the full details, I would literally have to see the game code, but from what I understand it's because it's tied to the pawn system, each save also represents each pawn in the game world and having multiple saves would create all kinds of problems for the online features, players only using their pawns, a broken trading system, the overall community not engaging in the pawn system, maybe balancing issues with super trained pawns, etc, also the pawns have this super complex AI that keeps learning new stuff alongside you as the player, in fact the game is constantly autosaving all those behavior changes so again I don't really know how they are programmed but I know it's because of the pawns that Capcom decided to use this save system, it was also like this in DD1 if not slightly worse.

I used “Forcing” but a more exact word would be “nudging” basically they are INTENTIONALLY making a shitty game design element of the game to tempt “force” “nudge” the player into paying extra to get around the INTENTIONALLY shitty game design
This game is not forcing anything of this sort, there's literally not a single reference to microtransactions in the entire game. And the game design itself is like the first DD, so if you find something shitty, it has nothing to do with MTX.

Last edited:
This game is not forcing anything of this sort, there's literally not a single reference to microtransactions in the entire game.
Wait....you are not being forced or directed towards the store constantly?
hKNGNqx.gif

I am amazed. Shocked. Shocked and amazed. In equal measures. Maybe slightly more Shocked actually if I'm being honest

Tajaz2426

No, it certainly makes it worse. It normalizes storefronts and conditions folks that it is ok to have in a full priced game. Of course folks will interact with it, that’s why they put it in there.

Marketers, psychiatrists, psychologists use Curiosity Gap to highlight the gap a person has in knowledge and lack there of, causing them peruse the store, then gaining the information, then seeing in game the game can be done in less time, less grinding, etc., and now having the knowledge with no gap, using the consumable for play.

That’s why they show challenges and then have items to make those challenges seem less anxiety inducing and part with their money. It has been used for decades. That’s why contrast and comparison gets the most use out of a curiosity gap, as it shows them how hard the challenge and how much easier it will be with help.

So, yes it is intrusive and yes it causes issues.

Kacho

The MTX are very invisible in Dragon’s Dogma 2. It’s not like an Ubisoft game where you’re being nudged to the store every time you open the map. You’d have to go out of your way to even know they’re there.

People like saying Nintendo is a decade behind everyone with their online features. That’s how Capcom is with their MTX.

Top Bottom