• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2 Releases on Steam with $40 worth of microtransactions .Currently with 'Mostly Negative' Reviews on Steam

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
No, it certainly makes it worse. It normalizes storefronts and conditions folks that it is ok to have in a full priced game. Of course folks will interact with it, that’s why they put it in there.

Marketers, psychiatrists, psychologists use Curiosity Gap to highlight the gap a person has in knowledge and lack there of, causing them peruse the store, then gaining the information, then seeing in game the game can be done in less time, less grinding, etc., and now having the knowledge with no gap, using the consumable for play.

That’s why they show challenges and then have items to make those challenges seem less anxiety inducing and part with their money. It has been used for decades. That’s why contrast and comparison gets the most use out of a curiosity gap, as it shows them how hard the challenge and how much easier it will be with help.

So, yes it is intrusive and yes it causes issues.

simon cowell facepalm GIF

The MTX are very invisible in Dragon’s Dogma 2. It’s not like an Ubisoft game where you’re being nudged to the store every time you open the map. You’d have to go out of your way to even know they’re there.

People like saying Nintendo is a decade behind everyone with their online features. That’s how Capcom is with their MTX.
JMDQS1B.gif

You're saying you've also played DD2 and havnt bean held at sword point to be on the online store every waking moment since you've bought it?

Do I sense a trend here? That's 3 out of 3 users now

Last edited:

Fake

So, you can't? Go figure.

I don't wanna do the homework here dude. Go look for yourself. You missed big time the conflict between TLOUS2 discussion, I don't quite sure anyone here on GAF missed this huge discussion.

And we have the search tool as well.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
I have no idea what you are trying to say here, as it makes no sense. It is a psychological theory by George Lowenstein. It is a theory that talks about how companies use the knowledge gap to exploit those that are weak willed and uneducated.

I think you were trying to have a knee slap at me, but just made you look ridiculous. It’s ok, happens to the best of us. Try again, one day.

Edit: I will speak out against any game that preys on people’s weaknesses. No full priced goods should have anything extra spending, unless it is more content that the player can play and have engagement with.

Last edited:

Liljagare

I don't wanna do the homework here dude. Go look for yourself. You missed big time the conflict between TLOUS2 discussion, I don't quite sure anyone here on GAF missed this huge discussion.

And we have the search tool as well.

We're talking about Dragons Dogma 2, not TLOUS2, nor Diablo 4, nor Justice League, nor, World of Warcraft Classic. In a topic about a game, please provide sources for your claims.

I have no idea what you are trying to say here, as it makes no sense. It is a psychological theory by George Lowenstein. It is a theory that talks about how companies use the knowledge gap to exploit those that are weak willed and uneducated.

I think you were trying to have a knee slap at me, but just made you look ridiculous. It’s ok, happens to the best of us. Try again, one day.
I'm not saying anything, I was genuinely curious (no pun intended) about this curiosity gap thing, so typed that directly into Google as you can see

It led directly to click bait

So you may also want to look into that online diploma you got for psychology for beginners, see if it was signed off by daffy duck or something

Last edited:

Fake

We're talking about Dragons Dogma 2, not TLOUS2, nor Diablo 4, nor Justice League, nor, World of Warcraft Classic. In a topic about a game, please provide sources for your claims.

No no, I said 'not everything is review bombing'. I was talking in general, no only necessarily Dragon's Dogma.

And I sure people downvoting Dragon's Dogma on Steam are because of the Capcom microtransactions. Sony in the other hand block every type of as you said 'review bombing'.

Is not like Sony have a good refund police mind you.

Last edited:

Liljagare

No no, I said 'not everything is review bombing'. I was talking in general, no only necessarily Dragon's Dogma.

And I sure people downvoting Dragon's Dogma on Steam are because of the Capcom microtransactions. Sony in the other hand block every type of as you said 'review bombing'.

Is not like Sony have a good refund police mind you. I can't understand why using Playstation Store rate score prove anything, most of the games there got 3~5 star rating. Is pretty inconsistence.

So, kinda like Steam rate scores?

Tajaz2426

I'm not saying anything, I was genuinely curious (no pun intended) about this curiosity gap thing, so typed that directly into Google as you can see

It led directly to click bait

So you may also want to look into that online diploma you got for psychology for beginners, see if it was signed off by daffy duck or something

Well let’s debate this then, if you are so sound. Any debate style you choose, if need be we can use standard debate terms. The topic can be the pros and cons of having storefronts in games and what it normalizes. What effects it can have on children and young adults. I will pose the affirmative side that it does cause issues normalizing buying digital goods with no real world value. You can be the negative and go from there.

I’ll await Daffy Ducks and your opening statement.

Last edited:
It’s staggering how many people defend this practice nowadays.

I have to wonder if people’s emotional attachment to the previous game is shaping their decisions.

Not surprised though. I just hope this doesn't creep into games more thoroughly in the future.

Liljagare

Well let’s debate this then, if you are so sound. Any debate style you chose, if need be we can use standard debate terms. The topic can be the pros and cons of having storefronts in games and what it normalizes. What effects it can have on children and young adults. I will pose the affirmative side that it does cause issues normalizing buying digital goods with no real world value. You can be the negative and go from there.

Frankly, you should make a new thread for that.

We all know games, hundreds of games, that have in game purchases, that are super popular.

But, this game is where you draw the line?

Just read this:

"That has now become the model for even the biggest video game franchises. Activision Blizzard’s “Call of Duty,” while still maintaining its yearly new edition release, saw more than $1 billion spent worldwide on its free-to-play mobile version of the game while its “Warzone” platform hit the 125 million player mark in June. It also made the newest version of its “Overwatch” series, which generated $1 billion in sales in its first year of release in 2016, into a free-to-play model."

But, naw, lets hit up Dragons Dogma 2... The FUD is apparent.

Last edited:

Tajaz2426

Frankly, you should make a new thread for that.

We all know games, hundreds of games, that have in game purchases, that are super popular.

But, this game is where you draw the line?

Just read this:

"That has now become the model for even the biggest video game franchises. Activision Blizzard’s “Call of Duty,” while still maintaining its yearly new edition release, saw more than $1 billion spent worldwide on its free-to-play mobile version of the game while its “Warzone” platform hit the 125 million player mark in June. It also made the newest version of its “Overwatch” series, which generated $1 billion in sales in its first year of release in 2016, into a free-to-play model."

But, naw, lets hit up Dragons Dogma 2...
It isn’t just this game. Check my post history, I do it to all games I see with monetization after a full price sale. Heck I don’t like it in any game, that’s why I do not play games with store fronts.

I also agree about the debate. I apologize for taking the thread off topic. Have a good day.

King Dazzar

I have no idea who that is, but he looks like he is tired of paying full price for a game and still seeing items for sale.
Trust me, your life is better having not been exposed to Simon Cowell. And even better if you've never heard any of the music he helped set upon the world.

Well let’s debate this then, if you are so sound. Any debate style you choose, if need be we can use standard debate terms. The topic can be the pros and cons of having storefronts in games and what it normalizes. What effects it can have on children and young adults. I will pose the affirmative side that it does cause issues normalizing buying digital goods with no real world value. You can be the negative and go from there.

Lol
Firstly, who said I wanted a debate?

I've told you, twice now, three if we include the original screenshot, that I was actually interested in this curiosity gap theory, Google led me directly to click bait. If you don't like the SEO on that, talk to Google!

It's you that's saying that digital goods have no value. That's your opinion. I have yet to say anything in this thread about the value of digital goods. If anything, I'm more on the side of in this instance they are bad! As they are totaly uneeded, easily got items in game and not forced on you to play or win. That is my whole point! 😂

Polelock

I don't gaf about the MTX, I just won't buy them, but releasing a game with such pisspoor performance for PC is horrible. I fucking hate Denuvo. I was getting 55fps out in the world using a 4090/7800x3d. Denuvo is shit.

MayauMiao

You can still fast travel and changer your character without buying the microtransactions. These microtransactions are no different than the orbs in DMC, completely useless and just predatory to ignorant players.

Depends how much you have to pay for fast travel. If its dirt cheap, like fast travel in Fallout 76, I wouldn't complain.

LRKD

Depends how much you have to pay for fast travel. If its dirt cheap, like fast travel in Fallout 76, I wouldn't complain.
From my understanding, they are selling only selling a single port crystal. So it sounds like fast travel is the same as the first game, and it had a pretty unique fast travel, hard to compare to other games. Ferrystones are the "currency" to fast travel, Port Crystals are items you can place anywhere in the world to create your own fast travel location. So they aren't locking cheaper fast travel behind a pay wall, it's like just an extra warp point you can buy. If it's just like the first game though, port crystals were rather rare, I think you'd usually get something like 3 or 4 a playthrough, and that's about it till ng+. Not sure how different it is in DD2, they could be more common.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

What a joke. People really believe this crap.
Jokes like this only serve to make the matter worse. None of the dlc in this game is needed and as drastic as portrayed. Stupid bs.
It’s annoying because a good game is getting slander for no reason at all. I have like 5 wakestones and ferrystones and I only played the game for few hours. Character editor is basically free in game it’s so cheap in vermund.
I know it’s satire but it’s tiring and this game doesn’t deserve this.

HisExcellency

Neo Member
Jokes like this only serve to make the matter worse. None of the dlc in this game is needed and as drastic as portrayed. Stupid bs.
It’s annoying because a good game is getting slander for no reason at all. I have like 5 wakestones and ferrystones and I only played the game for few hours. Character editor is basically free in game it’s so cheap in vermund.
Don't worry, when the numbers come out we'll see that once again, the hardcore gaming community isn't as impactful as people think. Most people that play this game will never know about the microtransactions, they will see a game getting good reviews (real reviews) and selling well and they'll play it.

Unfortunately some hardcore gamers will see the controversy, think it's a Ubisoft situation, and deny themselves the fun of playing it. That's on them for falling for this misrepresentation though.

Bojji

They (Capcom) absolutely do deserve this - scummy DLC, trash performance on every hardware and few layers of DRM. Some Japanese devs went super anti consumer with their DLCs lately - Persona 3 remake without ending that was on PS2 in 2007 or Sega with things like New Game + being part of DLC for Yakuza.

Without outrage they will just continue and try to screw us even more with the next release, now (with some media coverage and steam reviews) there is at least some chance that they will think about this stuff with their next games.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I changed my review to recommended with the caveat that people get cheats to bypass the time wasting mechanics. I also have been giving people ferry stones when I give gifts to their pawns.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Without outrage they will just continue and try to screw us even more with the next release, now (with some media coverage and steam reviews) there is at least some chance that they will think about this stuff with their next games.

"Outrage" is just something to be managed by PR and marketing. And in today's world its so omnipresent that its gone from the internet news churn in a matter of days. Capcom will just ride this out.

As to specific issues: Its an ambitious game, which has consequences for performance. They'll fix severe bugs, QoL improvements, etc as a priority but realistically on console there's no way they'll be able to improve it to the satisfaction of those who expect it to run as well as less "heavy" titles like RE4R or DMC. That's a pipe dream because those titles aren't doing close to as much as what Dogma is.

As for scaling on PC, objectively the smart way to proceed with that is go from the baseline upwards. People with 4090's might believe they are entitled to top-tier support but they represent a relatively small share of the audience so they shouldn't expect prioritization. They need to remember that software devs aren't getting paid based on how much money was thrown at hardware suppliers! Potato or God-tier makes no difference.

Which is why I always find it somewhat curious when people expect upper extremes to be specifically catered-to, especially in the short-term.

Bojji

"Outrage" is just something to be managed by PR and marketing. And in today's world its so omnipresent that its gone from the internet news churn in a matter of days. Capcom will just ride this out.

As to specific issues: Its an ambitious game, which has consequences for performance. They'll fix severe bugs, QoL improvements, etc as a priority but realistically on console there's no way they'll be able to improve it to the satisfaction of those who expect it to run as well as less "heavy" titles like RE4R or DMC. That's a pipe dream because those titles aren't doing close to as much as what Dogma is.

As for scaling on PC, objectively the smart way to proceed with that is go from the baseline upwards. People with 4090's might believe they are entitled to top-tier support but they represent a relatively small share of the audience so they shouldn't expect prioritization. They need to remember that software devs aren't getting paid based on how much money was thrown at hardware suppliers! Potato or God-tier makes no difference.

Which is why I always find it somewhat curious when people expect upper extremes to be specifically catered-to, especially in the short-term.

Oh, I totally expect them to not give a fuck, that's why I said there is just some chance something will change.

Game is trashing cpus, gpu performance is fine for the most part. People with 4090 aren't even using them properly in this game when it's so performance limited even with the most powerful CPU on the planer. And no, this game isn't doing anything mindblowing to justify this, AC Unity was doing Paris with dozens of NPCs on screen and this shit was running on 1.6GHz jaguar in 30FPS (with drops).

On one hand, all (?) of the items available to purchase are just items I got in the Deluxe Edition.

On the other, I couldn't complete a quest today because somehow the NPC had died (!!!) so I had to use a rare item that I got with the DE to revive him and finish it. I would've had to purchase the item from the store otherwise because the quest was timed.

Topher

Gold Member
On one hand, all (?) of the items available to purchase are just items I got in the Deluxe Edition.

On the other, I couldn't complete a quest today because somehow the NPC had died (!!!) so I had to use a rare item that I got with the DE to revive him and finish it. I would've had to purchase the item from the store otherwise because the quest was timed.

Wakestones, used to revive the dead, become much less rare the more you play. You'll start finding shards and when you have three, it will combine to form a Wakestone. Are you talking about the quest where you confront your stalker?

Wakestones, used to revive the dead, become much less rare the more you play. You'll start finding shards and when you have three, it will combine to form a Wakestone. Are you talking about the quest where you confront your stalker?
No, that random one where you have to accompany the ox cart. I wouldn't have minded so much if it weren't timed.

Topher

Gold Member
No, that random one where you have to accompany the ox cart. I wouldn't have minded so much if it weren't timed.

Believe you can still complete the quest....

"Now for the good news - you don’t have to protect the oxcart. The oxcart may be the vehicle around which the quest is motivated, but the real objective is to deliver Donovan’s letter to Lennart in Melve. The griffin ended up destroying the oxcart for us and the quest continued just fine with no interruption whatsoever "

https://www.gamerguides.com/dragons...th/oxcart-courier-walkthrough-dragons-dogma-2"

Believe you can still complete the quest....

"Now for the good news - you don’t have to protect the oxcart. The oxcart may be the vehicle around which the quest is motivated, but the real objective is to deliver Donovan’s letter to Lennart in Melve. The griffin ended up destroying the oxcart for us and the quest continued just fine with no interruption whatsoever "

https://www.gamerguides.com/dragons...th/oxcart-courier-walkthrough-dragons-dogma-2"
It was Lennart who had died. Have no idea how, he wasn't even in the town :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Top Bottom