• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Strange in The Multiverse of Madness | Spoiler Thread

Outpost #31

In the credits, they showed "X-Men 97 theme song" but I didn't hear it? That theme is iconic but it must have been really low in the background.

I didn't hear it either
I also missed some of the dialog because of my surprise seeing Reed Richards and Black Bolt and going holy shit wtf.
Gonna go see it a second time this week and pay a little more attention.

BlvckFox

Gold Member
Having to watch other series and films is too much like fucking homework. They are trying to turn this escapism into a way of life. Have to swat up on stuff to get certain references otherwise FOMO well done Disney/Marvel. You are turning it all into a form of social media/consumerism that needs to become a way of life.

It’s getting too much. I ain’t got time to watch every Disney plus series. Just so a ten second call back or cameo makes sense. Fuck that noise. I’m gonna bail soon. But I’m not the target audience for much longer.

This shit will print money.

I’m thinking going forward Marvel will be the real cash cow compared to Star Wars.
As you have said, You’re not the target audience and that it is okay.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
As you have said, You’re not the target audience and that it is okay.
the simpsons adult GIF

Papacheeks

Banned
It played as Xavier wheeled/hovered into scene.

Yea I lost my shit in the theater. My cousin was seeing it for the second viewing and he said the theater he went to on opening night people were losing their shit. Saw it in Imax, god damn. Movie was really good.

Marvel has now made everyone a comic reader through their films. As in each movie is interconnected some way or has ties to MCU. Think of it like how they ran marvel comics. Ever film is a issue. And then you have multiple story lines depending on the character film. WHich is how comics do it. The fact we are getting witches, sorcerers, inter-galactic god/beings, super natural stuff, cosmic stuff, is like heaven for everyone who read comics. I for one could see Sam Raimi's touches through out the film from Evil dead references, to his love of classic marvel.

I read X-men, Spiderman, punisher, ghost rider, hulk all through out middle school and highschool. Seeing all of this come to life in shows/films is something I would have told you there's no way they could make these and make them work, or be good. The fact we got a fucking Moon knight series done as well as we did, is literally the most insane thing ever. He's literally a C-tier character. And so for its the best show they have done IMHO. The fact Doctor Strange who also is a C-tier character is now as popular as Spiderman in films is something also I would have never thought possible.

Doctor strange even Moon Knight were literally bottom of the barrel characters comic sales wise. They had to be feATURED in other mainline character comics to get traction most of the time. Only recently have now in past 10 or so years has there been uptick in popularity with their comics.

What Kevin's team and Marvel have done is something WB/DC wish they knew how to crack. But to be honest its the difference in Comic Philosophy that separates them. Everything in Marvel's universe is connected. DC everything can exist in its own entity. And only in certain team up, or events do they inter-connect all other things/characters.

Marvel is connected from Mutants to InHUMANS, to super soldiers, to Gamma radiated beings, to Norse/Egyptian gods, to wtiches/vampires/Spirits of vengence.

It's all fucking .......Marvelous.

I'm a fairly big DC fan, but im more selective on story lines I read. While Marvel will have Cannonbal show up at X-mansion or in NewYork city where web head is just stopping a local robbery. Shit like that is awesome and more realized of a universe.

MCU now is that, and it's fucking awesome!

Nerd rant over..

Last edited:

Star-Lord

Yea I lost my shit in the theater. My cousin was seeing it for the second viewing and he said the theater he went to on opening night people were losing their shit. Saw it in Imax, god damn. Movie was really good.
I went with my mate (who actually ended up hating the movie), and he didn't get why I fanboyed when I first saw Reed Richards, and then again when Xavier came into scene with that music playing.

I'm gonna go see it again by myself.

BlvckFox

Gold Member
I don’t think you are. It was inevitable for some to be burnt out with content consumption. While it isn’t always required, it does fill in chunks of backstory. Main example, being WandaVision to Strange 2. Best to take a break and come back to it all.

Papacheeks

Banned
I went with my mate (who actually ended up hating the movie), and he didn't get why I fanboyed when I first saw Reed Richards, and then again when Xavier came into scene with that music playing.

I'm gonna go see it again by myself.

Time to get a new friend, lol.

Last edited:

Star-Lord

Time to get a new friend, lol.

Tell me about it.

Any word on whether or not Raimi is going to be sticking around the MCU?

God, I hope so. I was anxious that Marvel were going to rein him in, but MoM was straight-up a horror film, and I loved it. If Marvel keep him on, he has to do Spiderman 4 with Maguire and again add a horror tone to it. I don't think 3 properly wrapped up Maguire's arc, so there's plenty of room for closure. Either that, or let him helm a Marvel Zombies film.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I'm not sure I agree with folks saying Wandavision is required reading. I'm sure it greatly enhances the viewing, but I still understood the relatively straightforward story just fine. As a movie-only viewer, her character has been a villain in one movie, a rebellious hero who can't control her powers in another movie, and last time I saw her she was a vindictive bitch to Thanos in Endgame. Its not exactly whiplash from my pov for her to go full evil.

Hugare

What Kevin's team and Marvel have done is something WB/DC wish they knew how to crack. But to be honest its the difference in Comic Philosophy that separates them. Everything in Marvel's universe is connected. DC everything can exist in its own entity. And only in certain team up, or events do they inter-connect all other things/characters.

I'm sure that DC would love knowing how to crack it like Marvel did (since its so proffitable), but I'm so damn glad that they are doing their own thing

Otherwise we wouldnt have The Batman, Joker, Suicide Squad (and Peacemaker) or Aquaman

I appreciate and respect what Marvel is doing, but thank God that DC is not trying to do the same thing

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
I'm sure that DC would love knowing how to crack it like Marvel did (since its so proffitable), but I'm so damn glad that they are doing their own thing

Otherwise we wouldnt have The Batman, Joker, Suicide Squad (and Peacemaker) or Aquaman

I appreciate and respect what Marvel is doing, but thank God that DC is not trying to do the same thing

Not saying they have to do the same thing, or approach it the same way. But not being able to have The batman and superman be in same universe sucks. I love The Batman, I totally could have seen them add green arrow, and a superman to that if done correctly. Issue is outside of batman DC has no clue what to do with their properties. Aquaman was great actually. But it also felt like its own thing tone wise.

It sucks they had to move away from a connected universe. If they had got Matt reeves or had not fucked with Afflec we might have got what we all wanted.

Alcibiades

Agree about DC - they need to stick to doing their own thing. Continue with the DCEU while having on-offs. And it's OK to have a separate Batman universe for Patterson, no need to intermingle.

I also liked when Fox and Sony were doing their own thing. Not everything needs to be connected all the of time.

One of the things I find boring about Marvel now is when "cosmic" stuff happens. Back when everything was on Earth, introducing intergalactic stuff was cool and it could blow your mind. Relative to the stories we were getting on Earth, space stuff felt different. Now it's no big deal.

Back with the X-Men Fox '97 TV show, I remember when they did the Phoenix Saga and it felt so cool to see aliens and spaceships. It felt cool because of how it was out of the scope of the Earth-based stories we'd been getting. But if everything was in space all the time it wouldn't have felt so special. That's why for all the criticisms Dark Phoenix got, I appreciate that in all of the Fox X-Men stories they stayed on Earth the entire time and out of 13 movies, it was the only time alien life was brought it. It really made it special.

Urban

Even in Infinity War they are using to cut off the arm of the big guy. Dont know. Im not a omg powerscaling over everything but you cant show someone off like this and then
I'm not sure I agree with folks saying Wandavision is required reading. I'm sure it greatly enhances the viewing, but I still understood the relatively straightforward story just fine. As a movie-only viewer, her character has been a villain in one movie, a rebellious hero who can't control her powers in another movie, and last time I saw her she was a vindictive bitch to Thanos in Endgame. Its not exactly whiplash from my pov for her to go full evil.
i didnt watch Wandavision and thats why i didnt give a fuck about her childs and her ambition to meet them.

What i dont understand is:

How can she send monsters with runes to other dimensions to chase Chavez but cant go there by herself?
I mean its not the remote technic or else she would have destroyed all the other dimensions!?
And how the hell did she know that some power like this exist?
It would be a better explanation if American Chavez was from the same universe and escaped her to other dimensions ?

or did i miss something?

Sub_Level

What i dont understand is:

How can she send monsters with runes to other dimensions to chase Chavez but cant go there by herself?
I mean its not the remote technic or else she would have destroyed all the other dimensions!?
And how the hell did she know that some power like this exist?
It would be a better explanation if American Chavez was from the same universe and escaped her to other dimensions ?

or did i miss something?

Sending the monsters instead of going herself was her twisted version of mercy. Same with asking Strange for compliance instead of killing him immediately after he told her about Chavez. She says this outright.

Sybrix

Pretty cool movie. I liked it well enough , although I must say Strange himself doesn’t have much of an arc. I do hope they can sign John Krasinski long term to play Reed. He was great. I think he’s probably a one off though.
I thought The Fantastic Four film was coming with him in it?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I got a good chuckle out of the fact that all the youtube video breakdown channels were flat out wrong about Wanda both in Wanda Vision and this movie, everyone thought Mephisto was manipulating Wanda in her show, but it was her all along (somewhat unknowingly, but it was completely her own power), everyone thought Wanda will be a reluctant anti hero in this film who will end up helping Strange fight the big bad, but *she* was the fucking big bad of the film all along.

*chef's kiss*.

ManaByte

I got a good chuckle out of the fact that all the youtube video breakdown channels were flat out wrong about Wanda both in Wanda Vision and this movie, everyone thought Mephisto was manipulating Wanda in her show, but it was her all along (somewhat unknowingly, but it was completely her own power), everyone thought Wanda will be a reluctant anti hero in this film who will end up helping Strange fight the big bad, but *she* was the fucking big bad of the film all along.

*chef's kiss*.

Yea they all thought Sinister Strange was the villain when everyone with a brain was saying it was a misdirect in the trailer. But of course they ran with that to the bank.

Really enjoyed it. It might be one of my favorite marvel films. I need to let it sink in more but it was really fun. I thought the vfx were particularly good in this one. I really wish the trailers hadn't shown Xaiver. Especially in his yellow hovering chair. Patrick Stewart has gotten old as fuck and I doubt we'll see him again. Reed and Black Bolt were cool as well. In the credits, they showed "X-Men 97 theme song" but I didn't hear it? That theme is iconic but it must have been really low in the background.
The reason they introduced and immediately killed him was to demonstrate that he will not appear again. They have already (rumored) casted the X-Attack Helicopters for the MCU and they will be all-new actors. The 20th Century Fox film series is done and so are all the previous actors.

bitbydeath

Well... This movie perfectly sets up Secret Wars, with the mentions of Incursions and Reed Richards.
What’s interesting is that Dr Strange admitted that the Fantastic Four haven’t been a thing since the 60’s in the MCU timeline, so bringing them in won’t be a straightforward origin story.

sol_bad

What’s interesting is that Dr Strange admitted that the Fantastic Four haven’t been a thing since the 60’s in the MCU timeline, so bringing them in won’t be a straightforward origin story.

Unless it's a joke we just aren't getting? Maybe it's not meant to be taken literally?

Sybrix

I only watch MCU movies and TV shows, i dont and have never read any comics.

This movie feels like a comic book fans wet dream, which is a great thing XD

This movie is also a Wanda Maximoff movie rather than a Dr Strange movie.

Last edited:

DKehoe

I thought the joke was just that The Fantastic Four sounds like a band from the 60s (like how The Beatles were The Fab Four) rather than him actually meaning the group.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I thought the joke was just that The Fantastic Four sounds like a band from the 60s (like how The Beatles were The Fab Four) rather than him actually meaning the group.

That's what the intention was... That they sound like a music group. Not that they existed in the MCU ... Cap was the first known superhero in the MCU

Billbofet

Saw it last night. I liked some things in there, but not a fan of the multiverse stuff. My concern has always been that it makes everything mean nothing, and this movie kinda proved that.

ManaByte

So the screenwriter says he did bring up Tom Cruise to Feige due to the 1998 Iron Man movie that never happened, but no one ever contacted him and there’s no cut footage of him because he never filmed anything. So all those people claiming he went to Atlanta to film a scene are full of shit.

Yeah, that was totally made up. I mean, there’s no cut footage of Tom Cruise! But I love Tom Cruise, and I said to [Marvel Studios president] Kevin [Feige] at one point, I was like, Could we get Tom Cruise’s Iron Man? I remember reading about that in Ain’t It Cool News back in the day, that Tom Cruise was going to be Iron Man.

So what did Kevin say when you asked him that?
Well, I mean, he was shooting Mission Impossible 7 and 8.

So to be totally clear, did anyone reach out to Tom Cruise?
I don’t believe so. I just don’t think it was ever an option, because of availability.

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
As to the fantastic 4. I have a theory; basically Hank Pym was experimenting with the Quantum realm in the 60s/70s and he sent a group of scientists to explore it and they never came back. In Ant Man Quantumania these lost scientists will be found and brought back to Modern Day MCU. These scientists will be the fantastic four and they will have gotten their powers from the quantum realm. Therefor AMQ will lead directly into Fantastic 4. Some mumbo jumbo will be used to explain why they didn't age.

This would be a super clean way to introduce the F4 into the MCU without retreading old movies.

Last edited:

ManaByte

As to the fantastic 4. I have a theory; basically Hank Pym was experimenting with the Quantum realm in the 60s/70s and he sent a group of scientists to explore it and they never came back. In Ant Man Quantumania these lost scientists will be found and brought back to Modern Day MCU. These scientists will be the fantastic four and they will have gotten their powers from the quantum realm. Therefor AMQ will lead directly into Fantastic 4.

This would be a super clean way to introduce the F4 into the MCU without retreading old movies.
Well there is a city in the Quantum Realm…

Sub_Level

I found his criticisms to be pretty valid. He liked it overall but the film is a bit messy script-wise. I also agree that America is a nothing character but it wasn't her film. She'll get fleshed out elsewhere maybe?

I'd expect she will stay just as a side character. Then again the generic guy who can shoot arrows really fast got his own TV show so anything is possible. She's more a plot device than a character, although her last scene with Strange was wholesome and cute.

sol_bad

I found his criticisms to be pretty valid. He liked it overall but the film is a bit messy script-wise. I also agree that America is a nothing character but it wasn't her film. She'll get fleshed out elsewhere maybe?

I'm not surprised that these channels are calling out America Chavez as a nothing character but were probably perfectly fine with Black Widow showing up as a nothing character back in Iron Man 2. Also War Machine in Iron Man 2, Hawkeye in Thor, Wanda and Poitr in Age of Ultron, Spider-Man and Black Panther in Civil War or Mantis in GOTG2.
And not surprised he calls her Puerto Rico Chavez and various other names but doesn't call Stephen White Man Strange or make fun of any other white characters in any of his other videos.

I mean it's generally how it goes when a new super hero is introduced in another super heroes film. You can't have the new hero overshadow the main hero. I personally would have liked more screen time with America myself but she's certainly not a nothing character. We learnt about her as a character and a bit of her back story, certainly more so than we have in other similar examples. She is also the main macguffin for the villain and essential to the plot in that regard.

I don't understand the messy script criticisms either. Everything about the story is easy to understand.

PS: Wanda wasn't forced to let Westview go, no one can force her to do anything, which this movie clearly shows. So again he isn't paying attention to what these stories are telling him.
PSS: So much rambling, he doesn't understand the story himself and makes up new scenarios in his head to make the script sound dumb, works well for people who are happy to accept what he says and don't use their own brain and ears to understand what is actually happening.
PSSS: He criticises how MOM isn't enough of a Raimi film and drones on about an R rated Raimi film. MOM is far more a Raimi film than the original Spidey films wished to be.
PSSSS: The movie didn't try and make the audience sympathise for Wanda.
PSSSSS: He complains about Wanda mentioning Strange giving the time (he said power) stone to Thanos, does he not realise that Wanda is corrupted and beyond fucked up and mentally unstable so in her own head her argument makes sense? He complains about script work but doesn't understand context or perspective himself.
PSSSSSS: Fuck me dead, then he brings up the point about Hayward holding Westview hostage in Wandavision because they have the guns. At that point in the story, Wanda isn't fully aware of what is happening.

AmuroChan

Saw the movie today. Enjoyed it for the most part, but I was pretty disappointed by the Illuminati portion. It was so anti-climatic and they barely put up a fight. Outside of that, I liked the rest of the movie. What Marvel character is that in the post-credits scene?

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I'm not surprised that these channels are calling out America Chavez as a nothing character but were probably perfectly fine with Black Widow showing up as a nothing character back in Iron Man 2. Also War Machine in Iron Man 2, Hawkeye in Thor, Wanda and Poitr in Age of Ultron, Spider-Man and Black Panther in Civil War or Mantis in GOTG2.
And not surprised he calls her Puerto Rico Chavez and various other names but doesn't call Stephen White Man Strange or make fun of any other white characters in any of his other videos.

I mean it's generally how it goes when a new super hero is introduced in another super heroes film. You can't have the new hero overshadow the main hero. I personally would have liked more screen time with America myself but she's certainly not a nothing character. We learnt about her as a character and a bit of her back story, certainly more so than we have in other similar examples. She is also the main macguffin for the villain and essential to the plot in that regard.

I don't understand the messy script criticisms either. Everything about the story is easy to understand.

PS: Wanda wasn't forced to let Westview go, no one can force her to do anything, which this movie clearly shows. So again he isn't paying attention to what these stories are telling him.
PSS: So much rambling, he doesn't understand the story himself and makes up new scenarios in his head to make the script sound dumb, works well for people who are happy to accept what he says and don't use their own brain and ears to understand what is actually happening.
PSSS: He criticises how MOM isn't enough of a Raimi film and drones on about an R rated Raimi film. MOM is far more a Raimi film than the original Spidey films wished to be.
PSSSS: The movie didn't try and make the audience sympathise for Wanda.
PSSSSS: He complains about Wanda mentioning Strange giving the time (he said power) stone to Thanos, does he not realise that Wanda is corrupted and beyond fucked up and mentally unstable so in her own head her argument makes sense? He complains about script work but doesn't understand context or perspective himself.
PSSSSSS: Fuck me dead, then he brings up the point about Hayward holding Westview hostage in Wandavision because they have the guns. At that point in the story, Wanda isn't fully aware of what is happening.
Congrats. You're a bigger nerd than he is. Your memory of wandavision is impeccable (I guess) perhaps you should make a counter video telling him how wrong he is.

Edit: rlm also mentioned a poor script. Maybe you should go watch their video then write paragraphs about how wrong they are as well. sol_bad sol_bad I'd love to read it.

Ign also had script complaints. I guess everyone is wrong but you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom