• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Strange Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe Trolls is sitting at 86%. So with Strange looking like it's a shoe-in to finish fresh, that leaves only 3 movies left in phase 3 that I could conceivably see approaching rotten: GOTG2 due to possibly trying too hard to rekindle the magic of the first movie, Thor 3 due to being a Thor movie (even though I think it has potential to be really good), and Ant Man and Wasp due to some really awkward moments in the first movie. Of course, I thought the first Ant Man deserved to be rotten, but that's neither here nor there.

Asshole reviewer said:
The visuals are worth the price of admission, but this is as generic and by-the-numbers an origin story as the MCU has ever made. It's better than 'Green Lantern,' but it will remind you of 'Green Lantern'.

Thank YOU for reminding me of Green Lantern.

I really don't think Marvel would release a film to get rotten reviews. Even if you take their lowest reviewed movies (The Incredible Hulk and Thor: The Dark World), they both still scored 66 and 67%. I think if they began to see a movie production not getting something quite right they would step in and course correct. Also despite the complaints some of the movies get, they are all at least competently made in most respects, so at worst we would get movies that are still serviceable, but maybe held back from being great or excellent.

I think this could be applied to Disney movies in general, including future Star Wars movies.

SilentRob

I'm so pissed. Was invited to the press screening last week...and forgot. Just forgot, after looking forward to the film for weeks D: Really, really excited to see Cumberbatch in a Marvel movie AND together with Mads Mikkelsen.

guek

Banned
I'm so pissed. Was invited to the press screening last week...and forgot. Just forgot, after looking forward to the film for weeks D: Really, really excited to see Cumberbatch in a Marvel movie AND together with Mads Mikkelsen.
You dun goofed

Tell Marvel to forfeit the Chinese market. Does that really sound spineless?

You'd so easily lose out on hundreds of millions of dollars?

Politics are very delicate. What if Marvel puts out one film that pisses China off? Then what of the next five they put out, regardless of if they're related to Strange at all? What if China says no? What if that costs them billions, in a hugely emerging film market?

EDIT: I understand the enthusiasm for casting a Tibet actor or actress but the reality is that this just isn't going to work economically in Marvel's favor, and at the end of the day, they're a business.
I'm so tired of this shit. CAN WE STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR THESE COMPANIES.

sammex

scottmendelson12.08_1twxho.jpg

That's really scary.

SFenton

I'm so tired of this shit. CAN WE STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR THESE COMPANIES.

Would you willingly give up half the money you make in order to make a point, and then live with the possibility that you might have to continue making smaller amounts of money because you made that point?

Politics is absolutely a valid excuse to alter your product when it could cost your business severely. There's a reason Facebook is willing to sacrifice some of its values to try and get into China.

It's not invalid to want The Ancient One to still be Tibetan. However, it's important to also be objective here. This likely isn't a decision that Marvel took lightly, and they still managed to do something cool with the character. But you're a long way from seeing Chinese-Tibet relations be okay enough for this to have passed and not negatively impacted the film in China.

EYEL1NER

Damn, I didn't realize this came out Nov 4th; for some reason I thought it was a Christmas release. Now I'm sitting here wondering what big movie is in December. Guess it was Rogue One that I was thinking of.
Great stuff though, I would much rather be able to see Strange in 1.5 weeks than wait two months.

Green Lantern eventually led to Ryan Reynolds wanting to redeem himself with Deadpool so maybe we get Cumberbatch in a really good Deathstroke movie in 2023.

/flawless logic

Litan

30 reviews. 29 fresh, 1 rotten. 97% Tomatometer. 7.1 average rating.

Marvel's got this superhero shit on lock.

Gets excited for this movie seeing good reviews.

-checks times-

Releases in fucking January in Japan, THE FUCK!? Why the hell do all these random backwater countries get it day of but fucking Japan has to wait til the goddamn bluray is out to get a theater release. W/e.... like seriously who the hell knows where Canada is getting a release on day 1.

-checks times-

Releases in fucking January in Japan, THE FUCK!? Why the hell do all these random backwater countries get it day of but fucking Japan has to wait til the goddamn bluray is out to get a theater release. W/e.... like seriously who the hell knows where Canada is getting a release on day 1.

Deadpool felt like a year. Suicide Squad took so long to come here I totally forgot about it by the time it hit.

Deadpool felt like a year. Suicide Squad took so long to come here I totally forgot about it by the time it hit.

IKR. Same here. Shit I did not even know there was a new Star Trek film until it already left theaters in America and started putting up posters here. Then again not a star trek fan but still.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

-checks times-

Yeah, it's dumb as hell. We got Civil War a day before America, and now we're getting Doctor Strange 2 months after. It's really shitty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom