• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Barbie | Review Thread

sobaka770

Banned
Sew it yesterday and had a sleep on it. Overall it's a woman making a movie for other women, men need not apply. Any marketing positioning as more of a romcom for everyone is false.

I found it mediocre but also hard to criticize without being called a mysoginist, just the way this movie is positioned.

Ultimately my main problem is that the movie has the base elements all wrong. I don't mind a movie for women with strong messaging and most of the writing and set design is very sharp. However this movie has no coherent plot, no earned character growth and no clear takeaway message. It gets worse the more you think about it.

But going the other way doesn't.
Why? Wouldn't it make sense to tap into the 60% for Barbie?

It's a cynical word to use, but relationships are transactional, man.
I'd expect this from Andrew Tate or something. Completely disagree.

And it's a sad reality that men often internalize entitlement rhetoric and end up hopelessly isolated when that rhetoric doesn't comport with reality. It might sound like tough love, but "Love yourself, and learn to be a whole person on your own" is some of the best advice you can give to someone who wants to find a mate.
That'd be a reasonable response to a guy who's salty he didn't get to screw the prom queen.

But an increasing amount of men feel like they can't get what they need in modern society. Acceptance, love, companionship, to start a family. Normal things. I wouldn't call that entitlement, let alone internalized entitlement as part of toxic masculinity. That's like calling women entitled for wanting to have a child.

From your description, Barbie's response to this issue seems to be a complete dismissal. Just stop caring about feeling validated and loved bro. Not very insightful or helpful.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Was okay, some very funny moments and yes some cringe moments. Ken was supposed to a “ woman type of an alternate world “ but they couldn’t let it be equal so they had to make him still a bad guy in the end. Some overly preachy moments for sure and it went on way too long.

Still I liked the ken musical 🤷‍♂️ and wasn’t expecting it you be the next citizen Kane.

You guys also have to remember that you tubers thrive on controversy. They will always paint anything in an extreme light to whatever side is paying their bills.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Why? Wouldn't it make sense to tap into the 60% for Barbie?
Not every movie can appeal to every audience, they release different movies to exploit different demographics.

You think it's a coincidence they released Oppenheimer on the same day? They considered these two movies with relatively minimal overlap in audience.

I'd expect this from Andrew Tate or something. Completely disagree.
Again, transactional is your word, not mine, but I am saying relationships are a two way street and love needs to be earned. That is the exact opposite of Tate rhetoric.

That'd be a reasonable response to a guy who's salty he didn't get to screw the prom queen.
Which is 100% Ken in this movie.

But an increasing amount of men feel like they can't get what they need in modern society. Acceptance, love, companionship, to start a family. Normal things. I wouldn't call that entitlement, let alone internalized entitlement as part of toxic masculinity.
It's not entitled to want things. It's entitled to want things without having earned them.

Men are failing at a lot of things right now. They're going to college less, they're earning less, they're not taking care of their mental health, and yes they're less romantically successful as well.

But then they get salty that women aren't lining up for them. They never look in the mirror and ask "What do you bring to the table?" They think their "love" (hypothetical or otherwise) is enough.

From your description, Barbie's response to this issue seems to be a complete dismissal. Just stop caring about feeling validated and loved bro. Not very insightful or helpful.
It's not dismissal, it's advice. If you work on yourself, if you're a complete, confident person, with passions and abilities that you've cultivated, you're gonna have a better time finding partner than being the needy, weepy guy in the friend zone.

Last edited:
Not every movie can appeal to every audience, they release different movies to exploit different demographics.
I feel like we're going in circles here.

Again, transactional is your word, not mine, but I am saying relationships are a two way street and love needs to be earned. That is the exact opposite of Tate rhetoric.
I don't think you know Tate rhetoric.

Which is 100% Ken in this movie.
Then it's basically a mockery of the issues men face nowadays. Real helpful, that.

It's not entitled to want things. It's entitled to want things without having earned them.
Do women need to earn their want to have a child?

Men are failing at a lot of things right now. They're going to college less, they're earning less, they're not taking care of their mental health, and yes they're less romantically successful as well.
Why's that?

But then they get salty that women aren't lining up for them. They never look in the mirror and ask "What do you bring to the table?" They think their "love" (hypothetical or otherwise) is enough.

It's not dismissal, it's advice. If you work on yourself, if you're a complete, confident person, with passions and abilities, you're gonna have a better time finding a woman than being the weepy incel in the friend zone.
You're assuming there's something wrong with these men and that's why they're failing. What if they're not? What if they're pretty happy overall with a fulfilling life with friends, family, hobbies, income and they just want a partner but can't get one? Then what? Do you assume their desire for companionship just goes away by itself? Or do they just magically attract someone because they have hobbies and are happy? Your advice (and Barbie's) is dismissal, plain and simple.

SF Kosmo

Do women need to earn their want to have a child?
Again, the *want* doesn't have to be earned, but to fulfill that want, then yes, of course. Would you trust just anyone to be the mother of your child?

Why's that?
That's a whole can of worms, and I certainly couldn't answer it definitively for you, but I can share a couple thoughts.

1) Social isolation is accelerating due to technology (as well as Covid for a time). Kids raised on text messages and social media don't know how to conduct relationships in real life anymore.

2) Men historically leverage their higher income both as a form of power in relationships, but also as a source of self worth. As the wage gap closes, and women actually earn more in the younger age demographics where people are most likely to be seeking a partner, men no longer have this leverage, nor do they know what they bring to the table.

But all of these cultural forces, while they might need addressing on a large scale, can be unlearned on an individual scale. If you have something to offer, you will get a partner.

You're assuming there's something wrong with these men and that's why they're failing. What if they're not? What if they're pretty happy overall with a fulfilling life with friends, family, hobbies, income and they just want a partner but can't get one? Then what?

As a generality I would say the overwhelming majority of these men could get a woman if they knew how to treat one and aren't trying to bat too far out of their league .

There are outliers. I understand some people have a hard lot, people with a serious disability or disfigurement or whatever. That is hard. I don't want to generalize and blame every one of them.

Again, the *want* doesn't have to be earned, but to fulfill that want, then yes, of course.
Apparently there's a scene in the Barbie film where someone in the real world asks Ken for the time, and he is absolutely stoked to finally be asked for information because Barbie never cares about what he has to say and constantly mistreats him. It's real hard to see his yearning for acceptance and affection as entitlement after that. And isn't that what most men, no, most people want? A very basic human need?

I don't think that's something to be earned, and I don't think wanting a child needs to earned. Or what, are you in favor of closing down sperm banks across the globe because those women just didn't try hard enough?

So if that's the film's message to men, I'd label that a complete and utter failure.

But all of these cultural forces, while they might need addressing on a large scale, can be unlearned on an individual scale. If you have something to offer, you will get a partner.
Isn't that a major oversimplification? Would you tell women or minorities that when societal norms and expectations block them from achieving happiness?

I guess I just find it interesting that when women are in trouble, it's society's fault for not protecting or valuing them. When men struggle, it's their own fault for not working hard enough or failing to adapt. To me, those are harmful societal expectations.

SF Kosmo

Apparently there's a scene in the Barbie film where someone in the real world asks Ken for the time, and he is absolutely stoked to finally be asked for information because Barbie never cares about what he has to say and constantly mistreats him. It's real hard to see his yearning for acceptance and affection as entitlement after that.
Barbie's abuse doesn't entitle him to love either. None of this is how relationships work. Their relationship is totally dysfunctional and not grounded in anything real, which is why the writers don't take the lazy way out and pair them together in the end. That's the point.

I don't think that's something to be earned, and I don't think wanting a child needs to earned.
Partnership is earned, that's what makes it partnership. If a woman wants to raise a child on her own, she can find a sperm donor, that's true, but if she wants a family, she needs to persuade someone else to do it with her.

Isn't that a major oversimplification? Would you tell women or minorities that when societal norms and expectations block them from achieving happiness?
I think the macro level discussions about the rates at which men are finding mates and the individual lessons and advice you would give to someone who wants a mate are two different, valid conversations.

Like, we can talk about the various cultural or systemic factors that might lead to lower test scores in a certain demographic or region, but if your kid was about to take that test, you would still remind them that if they study hard they will do well. Both things can be valid.

belmarduk

Sew it yesterday and had a sleep on it. Overall it's a woman making a movie for other women, men need not apply. Any marketing positioning as more of a romcom for everyone is false.

I found it mediocre but also hard to criticize without being called a mysoginist, just the way this movie is positioned.

Ultimately my main problem is that the movie has the base elements all wrong. I don't mind a movie for women with strong messaging and most of the writing and set design is very sharp. However this movie has no coherent plot, no earned character growth and no clear takeaway message. It gets worse the more you think about it.

I like your avatar. It makes me smile.

Barbie's abuse doesn't entitle him to love either.
No one's talking about forcing people to date each other. I'm just wondering why you think Ken's entitled.

I think the macro level discussions about the rates at which men are finding mates and the individual lessons and advice you would give to someone who wants a mate are two different, valid conversations.

Like, we can talk about the various cultural or systemic factors that might lead to lower test scores in a certain demographic or region, but if your kid was about to take that test, you would still remind them that if they study hard they will do well. Both things can be valid.
Sure, but you brought up this movie's depiction of male issues as if it might appeal to men. Instead it's overly simplistic, dismissive and in general just pretty terrible from what I can tell. Not a great argument for the film.

Marvel14

Banned
There is no agenda in James Bond or comic book movies.
Am pretty sure all of the pre 2000s Bond movies had women be objects of desire, one dimensional assistants or murder targets.

The reason you don't see that as an "agenda" is because it was consistent with the values of the day and how women were perceived back then. So no one batted an eyelid. But the agenda was intrinsically reaffirming the norms and values of the day.

Suspect what's upsetting you is a film deliberately challenging traditional norms, values and thinking. Problem is that, that's one of the main things thoughtful creative works are made for.

And yeah, James Bond,MI and comic book movies provide pure entertainment often with old school values and stereotypes thrown in not thoughtful creativity.

Ps I haven't seen the movie yet so can't comment on it.

Last edited:

Doczu

Then why do all predominantly male type movies have to bow to the new audiences? But not the other way around?
Why do male centric movies and shows have to be deconstructed and changed to allow a broader audience?
I swear i understand gatekeepers more and more with each passing day.

What sane people tell their kids that they could be anything?

None. The ones saying that you can be anything, or that you have time for everything are the biggest liars. The moment you get that you were lied to is like hitting a concrete wall.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
What bugs me the most about this is that young girls are watching this and they are being brainwashed into thinking any man they meet after growing up is going to be a buffoon who is there only to control them. It's funny, when men make movies about their toys, the main concern is to get the right actor and the characterization (Batman doesnt KILL!). There is no agenda in James Bond or comic book movies.

Is that really the message you think young girls are taking away from this movie? I think it's overly reductive and underestimates the audience's capability to grasp nuance. To take your James Bond example, would it be fair if I said that it bugs me that young boys are watching Bond and being brainwashed into thinking that all the women they meet after growing up are primarily objects of sexual desire like Pussy Galore? The term "Bond Girl" is an actual phrase. Do you find that similarly problematic and stereotypical or would you rather give most young boys the benefit of the doubt that they can process fictional material?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Am pretty sure all of the pre 2000s Bond movies had women be objects of desire, one dimensional assistants or murder targets.

The reason you don't see that as an "agenda" is because it was consistent with the values of the day and how women were perceived back then. So no one batted an eyelid. But the agenda was intrinsically reaffirming the norms and values of the day.

And this is really the whole point… and context of this movie. I see a lot of people complaining about the misandry of having a male character be seen as an object by Barbie, and not someone on equal terms who should be listened to.

Chaps. The ladies had this for decades in movies and TV.

Let their have their revenge. Accept it for what it is, and don’t get hot under the collar about it. This is all payback for years and years of misogyny, whether you’re happy about it or not.

Personally, I‘m just ignoring the whole thing, because I get it, I understand why they’ve made it, and what the message is they are trying to get across.

No point in screaming how unfair it is to men, because they’ll look you in the eye and say “do you get it now”?

Watched this earlier yesterday, was hilarious… and I don’t consider myself a Ken (fuglier). Teehee

Enjoyed the crazy political culture war pandering, went in blind, I think my dick is still here, maybe just shrunk a tiny bit. Lol

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Good post and I want to elaborate on this part too.

I see a lot of people complaining about the misandry of having a male character be seen as an object by Barbie, and not someone on equal terms who should be listened to.

I'm seeing this too, and this kind of a superficial reading of the source material betrays a lack of nuance and makes me think these critics weren't paying attention because they were too busy being triggered by a trashfire of freethinking women or something. Ken was designed by his Creator, to be an object for Barbie. He is literally a Barbie accessory, as they say in the movie. He is a slave to his programming. He has to be that way because he can't help it. Then, when Barbie achieves enlightenment, one of the first things she does is recognize Ken's designed dependence on her and frees his mind so that he doesn't need her anymore for validation. Then, she frees herself by willingly red-pilling and escaping The Matrix, abandoning a necessarily perfect life without freedom for a potentially painful one with freedom.

Ken "not getting the girl" is not a failure. It's a liberation. It is no longer necessary for his own self-actualization. In this movie, Ken's arc from an ignorant slave with no choices to a free individual with many choices is given a lot more respect than the character arcs of other women in other movies. Oftentimes, in other movies of the past, the female character arc is merely going from hating the male protagonist to liking him by the end.

But hey, maybe these guys can explain to me again why whining about the Barbie movie is representative of their peak masculinity.

JCK75

I guess I am baffled by how many dudes wanted to see this and then hated, I'm in the "it's not made for me and that is OK" camp... and I never had an ounce of desire to see it.

So, this is the plot summary (spoilers):

-Barbieworld is a magical place where Barbies are in charge and do all the work, while Kens sit around looking pretty and seeking approval from Barbies (a role reversal of the traditionalist vision of men holding all the power and women being housewives)
-Barbie and Ken go to the real world, which is a deeply misogynistic patriarchal place where all the men are evil oppressors and the women are victims
-Ken discovers "the patriarchy" in Los Angeles (LA...not Saudi Arabia?), realizes he has been living a lie and returns to assert control over Barbieworld. He puts the Kens in charge, forcing the Barbies into submissive roles.
-A girl from the real world has a speech about feminism, which inspires the Barbies to rise up and defeat the Kens, restoring the matriarchy to Barbieworld, since Ken is shallow and self-centered and more interested in looking cool and masculine than doing all the work.
-Barbie rejects Ken romantically and tells him to stop being emotionally dependent on her (a coded message to the female audience, no doubt), then leaves to live a new independent life in the real world.

Not sure why you need to present such a warped view of the real world as a prerequisite for these recent feminist films. But maybe I'm wrong and the modern world is Basically The Handmaid's Tale.
How small is your dick, Evilore?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Is that really the message you think young girls are taking away from this movie? I think it's overly reductive and underestimates the audience's capability to grasp nuance. To take your James Bond example, would it be fair if I said that it bugs me that young boys are watching Bond and being brainwashed into thinking that all the women they meet after growing up are primarily objects of sexual desire like Pussy Galore? The term "Bond Girl" is an actual phrase. Do you find that similarly problematic and stereotypical or would you rather give most young boys the benefit of the doubt that they can process fictional material?
Bond isn’t a kids movie. 5-8 years olds are not lining up to watch Bond.

If Lion king, Toy Story or spiderman had the protagonist using women for sex and then discarding them then you would have a point.

And expecting kids to grasp nuance is bizarre.

SF Kosmo

Then why do all predominantly male type movies have to bow to the new audiences? But not the other way around?
Again, the female audience is the one that is underexploited. They don't need to pander to men because they already are, and bringing them in at disproportionate numbers.

It isn't all male centered movies, either, but a percentage of them.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

If Lion king, Toy Story or spiderman had the protagonist using women for sex and then discarding them then you would have a point.

Bond movies are PG-13. Barbie is PG-13. Don't give me the "but it's not a kids movie" defense. Argue on the merits I pointed out.

It's not just kids. And it's not just very young kids. And respecting kids' intelligence who are mature enough to watch a PG-13 film to exhibit some critical thinking skills is not bizarre.

Fake

I guess I am baffled by how many dudes wanted to see this and then hated, I'm in the "it's not made for me and that is OK" camp... and I never had an ounce of desire to see it.

People like to have a conversation of whatever they like or not. I don't get this mentality of 'I don't like why do you care' or 'stop talking about something you don't like it'.

At the end of day people can only talk for themself. I never intended to either watch the movie or bring a kid to watch either, but don't hurt anyone talking about the movie. There are so much Twitter mentality inside neoGAF about whatever people want to discuss or not. IMO worst than haters are the fanboys triggered by harmless conversation (I not saying you're a fanboy btw).

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Bond movies are PG-13. Barbie is PG-13. Don't give me the "but it's not a kids movie" defense. Argue on the merits I pointed out.

It's not just kids. And it's not just very young kids. And respecting kids' intelligence who are mature enough to watch a PG-13 film to exhibit some critical thinking skills is not bizarre.
Bonds is about a womanizing dude banging women left and right since the 60s. No one is taking 5 year olds to see that movie. Come on now.

And kids are impressionable. Their brains a malleable. They dont dissect shit at that age. They are like sponges and simply consume whatever is fed to them. if they are being told that all men are pigs who are out to control them then thats the message they will take from the movie.

First two results on google:
A child's brain is even more malleable, which means that every experience in early life has a significant impact on brain development. Growth in the brain is predicated on neural connections that create neural pathways within the nervous system.
Are children's brains more malleable than adults?

Although the brain continues to develop throughout life, children's brains are far more impressionable (or plastic) than adult brains, meaning that they are both more open to learning and to being shaped by outside factors.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Bonds is about a womanizing dude banging women left and right since the 60s. No one is taking 5 year olds to see that movie. Come on now.

And kids are impressionable. Their brains a malleable. They dont dissect shit at that age. They are like sponges and simply consume whatever is fed to them. if they are being told that all men are pigs who are out to control them then thats the message they will take from the movie.

Dude, you're the one who brought up Bond as an example of media regarding the representation of these kinds of social issues. I'm meeting you on the grounds that you presented yourself. Ignore the 5 year olds. Teenagers watched Barbie too, and they also watched Bond.

SF Kosmo

So, this is the plot summary (spoilers):

-Barbieworld is a magical place where Barbies are in charge and do all the work, while Kens sit around looking pretty and seeking approval from Barbies (a role reversal of the traditionalist vision of men holding all the power and women being housewives)
-Barbie and Ken go to the real world, which is a deeply misogynistic patriarchal place where all the men are evil oppressors and the women are victims
-Ken discovers "the patriarchy" in Los Angeles (LA...not Saudi Arabia?), realizes he has been living a lie and returns to assert control over Barbieworld. He puts the Kens in charge, forcing the Barbies into submissive roles.
-A girl from the real world has a speech about feminism, which inspires the Barbies to rise up and defeat the Kens, restoring the matriarchy to Barbieworld, since Ken is shallow and self-centered and more interested in looking cool and masculine than doing all the work.
-Barbie rejects Ken romantically and tells him to stop being emotionally dependent on her (a coded message to the female audience, no doubt), then leaves to live a new independent life in the real world.

Not sure why you need to present such a warped view of the real world as a prerequisite for these recent feminist films. But maybe I'm wrong and the modern world is Basically The Handmaid's Tale.
It's more or less just the plot of The Matrix.

I don't think the intent is to portray the real world as nothing but a patriarchal hellscape as much as to pop the bubble of the fantasy land Barbie has been living in. So she sees all these bad things first and they're a shock to the system, but she chooses the real world in the end, rather than living in a dream.

I kind of took it as a meta coming of age narrative framed around the Barbie brand and all of its controversies. "Barbie" is idealized, aspirational, unattainable, childish, and formative for so many women. But eventually women put away their toys and join the real world.

Yeah the commentary on patriarchy is one dimensional and played mostly for laughs, but the meta.commentary on what Barbie means to people is pretty layered and I enjoyed that.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
It's more or less just the plot of The Matrix.

I don't think the intent is to portray the real world as nothing but a patriarchal hellscape as much as to pop the bubble of the fantasy land Barbie has been living in. So she sees all these bad things first and they're a shock to the system, but she chooses the real world in the end, rather than living in a dream.

I kind of took it as a meta coming of age narrative framed around the Barbie brand and all of its controversies. "Barbie" is idealized, aspirational, unattainable, childish, and formative for so many women. But eventually women put away their toys and join the real world.

Yeah the commentary on patriarchy is one dimensional and played mostly for laughs, but the meta.commentary on what Barbie means to people is pretty layered and I enjoyed that.
Rentahamster Rentahamster described it similarly earlier. Any nuance seems to have been lost on the culture warrior reactionary types looking for something to be upset about, which is to be expected.

I had tickets for yesterday but had other obligations come up and couldn’t make it.

JCK75

People like to have a conversation of whatever they like or not. I don't get this mentality of 'I don't like why do you care' or 'stop talking about something you don't like it'.

At the end of day people can only talk for themself. I never intended to either watch the movie or bring a kid to watch either, but don't hurt anyone talking about the movie. There are so much Twitter mentality inside neoGAF about whatever people want to discuss or not. IMO worst than haters are the fanboys triggered by harmless conversation (I not saying you're a fanboy btw).

I mean people pull this shit on me when I was upset with what Kevin Smith did to He-Man, that was a huge piece of my childhood and I want it treated with respect.
I'd like to think most of us never played with Barbies... thus have no real nostalgia..
I mean I did steal one of my sisters barbies in high school and make a shrunken head neckless out of it but that was about the extent of it.

I'm not knocking the discussion.. just baffled by how many dudes were for some reason excited for it in the first place.

I don't know, I saw it with the family the other night with super low expectations and ended up laughing alot. It was just a fun movie with lots of absurd shit. Like someone says "mother fucker" and it gets bleeped out with a mattel logo over their mouth. Stupid shit like that makes me laugh.

Ken, having no purpose in life, to discovering horses and Sylvester Stallone and what that does to him is again....hysterical.

The beach off and song was great
It did drag a bit towards the end but it was more so because "oh this is a serious deep moment, put the laughs away for a second"

Over all it did what it set out to do and that was be a good family movie. No more no less. It's been awhile since I heard a theater be that alive. Could be because it was opening week.

Last edited:

Brigandier

How small is your dick, Evilore?

You haven't posted in 6 years and this is the best suicide post you can come up with?.

virgin comedy central GIF by Broad City

Draugoth

Gold Member
This was the most conservative movie i ever seen,

Barbie literally goes back to Barbieland to smash the ken's proletariat revolution just so she can keep her ken-oppresing matriarchy running
Jokes aside, fun movie. I think people picking up on this need to chill, this is movie is a feminist propaganda as much as the original barbie toy was.

Also, if this was the main trailer this movie would have crossed 1b already:

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned

Bond is an action series aimed at teenagers and adults but with R not NC17 levels of violence. Exactly what 6 to 12 year olds are most drawn to. I know I was back in the day.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Rentahamster Rentahamster described it similarly earlier. Any nuance seems to have been lost on the culture warrior reactionary types looking for something to be upset about, which is to be expected.

I had tickets for yesterday but had other obligations come up and couldn’t make it.

IRL obligations getting in the way of a good time! I originally wanted to do a Barbie/Oppenheimer double feature in the same day but couldn't fit it in the schedule due to some last minute IRL issues. Fortunately my date and I have matching time slots today so I'll be getting my Oppenheimer on soon, finally.

Rat Rage

Saw it. And... I enjoyed it. Loved how Mattel™ (as a company) didn't take them too seriously, which made for some funny moments/self criticism.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Actually, I find his reviews are practically free of culture war stuff. But with Barbie the smash the patriarchy stuff was so on the nose that even he had to give it a mention.

You should give his reviews a shot.

Yeah I find if Jemery mentions it then it must be really woke.
But it's well made sooo ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Just a shame it wasn't made 10 years earlier with the same cast and none the wokery then it would be perfect!

Kataploom

Gold Member
That's correct, but you fail to see a tiny, minimal, very specific detail that is what most people complain about: The trailer DID NOT appeal to the actual audience the movie was targeted to, it was more of a wide appeal humor type of movie in them.

Had they marketed the movie to its actual audience, barely anyone would be talking about it, let alone go watch it.

They're getting what they deserve and news outlets are already painting the reactions as "review bombing".

Last edited:

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Just watched it, definitely not my cup of tea. Theater was full and there were crickets, not a single laugh. So I am not the only one who didn't find it funny.
I am not sure where this Oscar for Ryan Gosling comments are coming from, how was this an Oscar worthy performance? lmao people are literally hyping the shit out of it, may be thats why i didn't enjoy it as much. I went in with high expectations.
Not sure what the CEO and the group of suites were supposed to represent but they were the worst part of the movie

Last edited:

Vyse

Gold Member
Both of my daughters went to see it and loved it. My younger daughter wants to go again with me but said not to invite my father in law saying that he would hate it. Will post my comments after I watch it.

DKehoe

Just watched it, definitely not my cup of tea. Theater was full and there were crickets, not a single laugh. So I am not the only one who didn't find it funny.
I am not sure where this Oscar for Ryan Gosling comments are coming from, how was this an Oscar worthy performance? lmao people are literally hyping the shit out of it, may be thats why i didn't enjoy it as much. I went in with high expectations.
Not sure what the CEO and the group of suites were supposed to represent but they were the worst part of the movie
I didn't see anyone here calling for Gosling to win an Oscar so looked back through the previous pages and saw that a couple of days ago you said that you had just watched it having not expected much but enjoyed it and thought it had some genuinely good laughs. Now you just watched it, thought it wasn't your cup of tea, that you went in with your expectations too high and didn't find it funny? Did you watch it a second time and have your opinion changed or something?

Top Bottom