• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oppenheimer Wins Best Movie of 2024 | Oscar Full Nominees List

Fake

The brazilian media is by far the worst of the bussiness to cover the Oscar.

They are so salty over Greta not winning shit that do salty articles. In the article title of Robert Downey Jr. gaining an oscar, they mention his past over drugs. I think is totally unecessary.
Another thing to mention they call this oscar 'lack of surprise' because Oppenheimer and Poor Things get most of the awards.

Last edited:

DKehoe

Eh, they just had to throw AF a bone. You can't tell me the best shot, best directed, and best acted film (as well as scored) wasn't also the best adaption of its source material? Oppo took too many of the top prizes to not earn that one as well, imho.
Why does it being the best shot, directed, acted and/or scored mean it has to win best adapted screenplay? I certainly wouldn’t have minded it winning that award but winning those other ones doesn’t entitle it to win that. The awards are for individual aspects.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Hilarious to see Nolan winning after fucking off from WB because it's now run by utter cunts.

Maybe Zaslav will have an aneurism :messenger_tears_of_joy:

That's not why he left. The FORMER heads of WB put his movie on streaming AND theaters instead of JUST theaters without telling him. Zaslav came in almost a year AFTER Nolan left when he merged WB with Discovery.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Eh, they just had to throw AF a bone. You can't tell me the best shot, best directed, and best acted film (as well as scored) wasn't also the best adaption of its source material? Oppo took too many of the top prizes to not earn that one as well, imho.

Directors voted for Nolan. Actors voted for Murphy. Actors voted for Downey Jr. Producers voted for Oppenheimer. Writers voted for original and adapted screenplays.

It's not some tiny room where 10 old men vote for everything.

Edit:
That said, American Fiction was almost like watching a book come to life, IMO.

Last edited:

Hugare

across the spider-verse didn't stand a chance after splitting it into two movies, into the spider-verse is a perfect movie and package, but at soon as you split it into two parts it's not winning any awards individually.
The boy and the heron taking it seemed pretty obvious, but I thought both mario and elemental were better.
puke GIF

Opinions and all, but wtf, man

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Godzilla winning best VFX? lol wut

and I say this as someone from the industry. They definitely overachieved given the number of shots and relative small budget but there were several sequences where the compositing was spotty at best. They deserve the nomination, but not the win.
They absolutely won because they heroically overachieved on a very limited budget with a tiny staff, and the strength of its best moments, not for consistency.

Plus it was the only category for which it was nominated (or submitted for that matter), and a lot of people wanted to see the movie recognized.

And that's okay. Regardless of what the judging criteria says, the Oscars love a good story.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
That's not why he left. The FORMER heads of WB put his movie on streaming AND theaters instead of JUST theaters without telling him. Zaslav came in almost a year AFTER Nolan left when he merged WB with Discovery.

I never suggested it was Zaslav, just that he’d be having an aneurism about it now. WB has been run by utter cunts for many years.

mcjmetroid

Mario movie wasn't that good.
People only loved it because they loved the videogame references.. That is all.
I enjoyed it too but it was VERRRRY safe and to be honest it was the correct decision to do that so nothing against it in that way,

But no, It didn't deserve to be a best picture nomination.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Why does it being the best shot, directed, acted and/or scored mean it has to win best adapted screenplay? I certainly wouldn’t have minded it winning that award but winning those other ones doesn’t entitle it to win that. The awards are for individual aspects.
Oppenheimer took a biography of the guy who helped develop the atomic bomb and turned it into a film that was the best directed, best shot, best edited, and best acted. If that isn't a testament to the power of the script, what is?

Often when a film sweeps those top honors it gets screenplay as well, Nolan being director as well is what cost him best adapted screenplay

DKehoe

Oppenheimer took a biography of the guy who helped develop the atomic bomb and turned it into a film that was the best directed, best shot, best edited, and best acted. If that isn't a testament to the power of the script, what is?

Often when a film sweeps those top honors it gets screenplay as well, Nolan being director as well is what cost him best adapted screenplay
It being the best edited, acted, shot and directed film doesn't mean it has the best screenplay. Those are all different components that make up a film. Best Picture is the category that's about the convergence of all of the elements. Even if another film has a better screenplay Oppenheimer can still be the best film overall.

Have you seen American Fiction? It's really well written.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Tenet didnt come out on streaming simultaneously.

He left for a variety of reasons. But there were reports that he wanted the movie out during the covid peak in july-august when all the major markets like NY and LA were closed. The movie still made $350 million but it was later reported that he never wanted the movie released like that. So my guess is that he didnt like being thrown under the bus by WB execs for the movie not performing.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The brazillian media is by far the worst of the bussiness to cover the Oscar.

They are so salty over Greta not winning shit that do salty articles. In the article title of Robert Downey Jr. gaining an oscar, they mention his past over drugs. I think is totally unecessary.
Another thing to mention they call this oscar 'lack of surprise' because Oppenheimer and Poor Things get most of the awards.
Oscars are almost never surprising anymore for anyone who pays attention to WGA, SAG, DGA and critics choice awards. Golden Globes are the outlier but only because they are voted on by a very select group of foreign critics.

Nolan, Cillian Murphy and RDJ were basically sweeping the award shows week after week. They were guaranteed to win. Best picture can be a wild card because everyone of the thousands of voters can vote on it, but oppenheimer had no competition this year.

Saber

Gold Member
Oscars are almost never surprising anymore for anyone who pays attention to WGA, SAG, DGA and critics choice awards. Golden Globes are the outlier but only because they are voted on by a very select group of foreign critics.

Nolan, Cillian Murphy and RDJ were basically sweeping the award shows week after week. They were guaranteed to win. Best picture can be a wild card because everyone of the thousands of voters can vote on it, but oppenheimer had no competition this year.

They weren't on the same boat of most of medias and people when they said "not surprising". The 3 dumb brazilian women from TNT for instance never got any movie right because most of their choices were personally stupid.
For instance one of the woman was convicted that Spider-man was the winner because 1- she said she was the dub for the movie(while laughing), 2- she said this movie was the pillar of representation because Miles was a latino blabla diahea speech and 3 - because of the animation technology, which is stupid frankly since not all winner from animations wins because of tech, but because they were natutally well put and touching films.
Globo as usual goes into their primal female empower shitposting by complaining about Barbie not winning any Oscar(the Oscar wasn't over btw and they have being doing this before the Oscars already).

So yeah, when you or the well versed media goes saying that its not surprising I completelly agree with you. But when the media from my country does that its usually not for the right reason. The example my brother showed is a prime example. The tittle and the article were more focused on Robert "dark past" than the fact that he won an oscar.

They absolutely won because they heroically overachieved on a very limited budget with a tiny staff, and the strength of its best moments, not for consistency.

Plus it was the only category for which it was nominated (or submitted for that matter), and a lot of people wanted to see the movie recognized.

And that's okay. Regardless of what the judging criteria says, the Oscars love a good story.
The category is "best VFX", not "most efficient use of VFX budget". If you are no longer voting based on merit and instead only want to give Godzilla a feel good story, then what's the point anymore? That's a disrespect to all the other nominations.

The brazillian media is by far the worst of the bussiness to cover the Oscar.

Brazilian media in general is absolutely horrible.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The category is "best VFX", not "most efficient use of VFX budget". If you are no longer voting based on merit and instead only want to give Godzilla a feel good story, then what's the point anymore? That's a disrespect to all the other nominations.

They deserved it because the consensus opinion is that they made a great and convincing monster. The thing that the is at the absolute centre of the movie.

Impact matters as much as anything else.

Yes in VFX work some shows are bigger than other, some teams doing flashy stuff, others doing the more subtle, even invisible work. But at the end of the day any technique is only as effective as the picture allows it to be. Which means in most cases how well does it serve the overall vision.

This is what I feel like a lot of people don't get about any sort of artistically created illusion. Technology and technique is only a means to an end, its all about the "magic" of fooling the audience into seeing something that doesn't really exist.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Welcome to the concept of awards shows, man. Sure, they're chosen by industry types and they're not the same as a public popularity contest but at the end of the day factors like having a good story, being a charming underdog, or being overdue for past recognition all play factors.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Pretty sure who gets what is actually fixed and HW exes wanted to signal the whole industry that the times of 300mill for mainly fx work in movies is over.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Saw Poor Things last night at the theater blind.

One of the best of 2023 for sure. Def give it a watch. Emma Stone more than earned all her awards.

I still gotta do that. I was supposed to do that for date night, but those plans fell through and we did something else instead. I should revisit those plans.

DKehoe

Saw Poor Things last night at the theater blind.

One of the best of 2023 for sure. Def give it a watch. Emma Stone more than earned all her awards.
It was nice to see it rewarded on the production side of things (costumes, hair & makeup, production design) it did a great job of creating a world that felt Victorian yet also had it's own totally unique feel. And like you say Emma Stone's performance was outstanding. She really captured the arc her character went on as she evolved and adapted, giving a variety of performances to convey that. Between that and The Curse, Stone had a great year.

Gp1

Just noted now, Sandra Huller stars in 2 of the Oscars nominees + a best actress nomination.

But considering how Hollywood snubs foreign actors/actress in favor of hometown medallions... Besides that it was a good show, from what i saw i agree with most of the winners.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It was nice to see it rewarded on the production side of things (costumes, hair & makeup, production design) it did a great job of creating a world that felt Victorian yet also had it's own totally unique feel. And like you say Emma Stone's performance was outstanding. She really captured the arc her character went on as she evolved and adapted, giving a variety of performances to convey that. Between that and The Curse, Stone had a great year.
Getting neekid for an Oscar is something I can support!

Macattk15

Almost fell asleep during Oppenheimer. Was a well made movie, but not for me.

I called best actor, actress and best picture though before they were handed out. (I did think Poor Things had the chance for Picture upset though).

Happy for Emma Stone, she more than deserved it. What an incredible performance.

With The Favorite and Poor Things she's been knocking it out of the park lately.

Quite surprised she won over Lily Gladstone, considering all the online screeching about how misogynistic Poor Things supposedly is.

Glad to see the Academy have some balls for once.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Happy for Emma Stone, she more than deserved it. What an incredible performance.

With The Favorite and Poor Things she's been knocking it out of the park lately.

Quite surprised she won over Lily Gladstone, considering all the online screeching about how misogynistic Poor Things supposedly
Especially after the brouhaha of Stone playing a half Chinese Hawaiian girl or whatever a few years back. Take that "actors can't actually act, they must truly and completely embody every aspect of their character!" nonsense that gets espoused these days.

Ballthyrm

Welcome to the concept of awards shows, man. Sure, they're chosen by industry types and they're not the same as a public popularity contest but at the end of the day factors like having a good story, being a charming underdog, or being overdue for past recognition all play factors.

They've won it because they proved you can do good VFX on a tiny budget and on time if you know what you are doing. They didn't use it as a crutch as is often the case nowadays.
Apart from the creator that did really interesting work, the other movie were really in the "we do it because we can" category.

let's go back to more of VFX to tell a story and less VFX for spectacle.

Top Bottom