• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2019 Academy Awards

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Live now. What are your picks?

https://oscar.go.com/nominees

Best Picture
Black Panther (Kevin Feige, Producer)
BlacKkKlansman (Sean McKittrick, Jason Blum, Raymond Mansfield, Jordan Peele and Spike Lee, Producers)
Bohemian Rhapsody (Graham King, Producer)
The Favourite (Ceci Dempsey, Ed Guiney, Lee Magiday and Yorgos Lanthimos, Producers)
Roma (Gabriela Rodriguez and Alfonso Cuaron, Producers)
Green Book (Jim Burke, Charles B. Wessler, Brian Currie, Peter Farrelly and Nick Vallelonga, Producers)
A Star Is Born (Bill Gerber, Bradley Cooper and Lynette Howell Taylor, Producers)
Vice (Dede Gardner, Jeremy Kleiner, Adam McKay and Kevin Messick, Producers)

Best Director
Alfonso Cuaron (Roma)
Yorgos Lanthimos (The Favourite)
Spike Lee (BlacKkKlansman)
Adam McKay (Vice)
Pawel Pawlikowski (Cold War)

Best Actress
Yalitza Aparicio (Roma)
Glenn Close (The Wife)
Olivia Colman (The Favourite)
Lady Gaga (A Star Is Born)
Melissa McCarthy (Can You Ever Forgive Me?)

Best Actor
Christian Bale (Vice)
Bradley Cooper (A Star Is Born)
Willem Dafoe (At Eternity's Gate)
Rami Malek (Bohemian Rhapsody)
Viggo Mortensen (Green Book)

Best Supporting Actress
Amy Adams (Vice)
Marina de Tavira (Roma)
Regina King (If Beale Street Could Talk)
Emma Stone (The Favourite)
Rachel Weisz (The Favourite)

Best Supporting Actor
Mahershala Ali (Green Book)
Adam Driver (BlacKkKlansman)
Sam Elliott (A Star Is Born)
Richard E. Grant (Can You Ever Forgive Me?)
Sam Rockwell (Vice)

Best Original Screenplay
The Favourite (Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara)
First Reformed (Paul Schrader)
Green Book (Nick Vallelonga & Brian Hayes Currie & Peter Farrelly)
Roma (Alfonso Cuaron)
Vice (Adam McKay)

Best Adapted Screenplay
A Star Is Born (Eric Roth, Will Fetters & Bradley Cooper)
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (Joel Coen & Ethan Coen)
BlacKkKlansman (Charlie Wachtel & David Rabinowitz and Kevin Willmott & Spike Lee)
If Beale Street Could Talk (Barry Jenkins)
Can You Ever Forgive Me? (Nicole Holofcener and Jeff Whitty)

Best Makeup & Hairstyling
Border (Goran Lundstrom and Pamela Goldammer)
Mary Queen of Scots (Jenny Shircore, Marc Pilcher and Jessica Brooks)
Vice (Greg Cannom, Kate Biscoe and Patricia DeHaney)

Best Costume Design
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (Mary Zophres)
Black Panther (Ruth E. Carter)
The Favourite (Sandy Powell)
Mary Poppins Returns (Sandy Powell)
Mary Queen of Scots (Alexandra Byrne)

Best Cinematography
The Favourite (Robbie Ryan)
Never Look Away (Caleb Deschanel)
Roma (Alfonso Cuaron)
A Star Is Born (Matty Libatique)
Cold War (Lukasz Zal)

Best Original Song
"All the Stars" (Black Panther)
Music by Mark Spears, Kendrick Lamar Duckworth and Anthony Tiffith
Lyric by Kendrick Lamar Duckworth, Anthony Tiffith and Solana Rowe

"I'll Fight" (RBG)
Music and Lyric by Diane Warren

"The Place Where Lost Things Go" (Mary Poppins Returns)
Music by Marc Shaiman
Lyric by Scott Wittman and Marc Shaiman

"Shallow" (A Star Is Born)
Music and Lyric by Lady Gaga, Mark Ronson, Anthony Rossomando and Andrew Wyatt

"When a Cowboy Trades His Spurs for Wings" (The Ballad of Buster Scruggs)
Music and Lyric by David Rawlings and Gillian Welch

Best Original Score
Black Panther (Ludwig Goransson)
BlacKkKlansman (Terence Blanchard)
If Beale Street Could Talk (Nicholas Britell)
Isle of Dogs (Alexandre Desplat)
Mary Poppins Returns (Marc Shaiman)

Best Documentary Feature
Free Solo (Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, Jimmy Chin, Evan Hayes and Shannon Dill)
Hale County This Morning, This Evening (RaMell Ross, Joslyn Barnes and Su Kim)
Minding the Gap (Bing Liu and Diane Quon)
Of Fathers and Sons (Talal Derki, Ansgar Frerich, Eva Kemme and Tobias N. Siebert)
RBG (Betsy West and Julie Cohen)

Best Animated Feature
Incredibles 2 (Brad Bird, John Walker and Nicole Paradis Grindle)
Isle of Dogs (Wes Anderson, Scott Rudin, Steven Rales and Jeremy Dawson)
Mirai (Mamoru Hosoda and Yuichiro Saito)
Ralph Breaks the Internet (Rich Moore, Phil Johnston and Clark Spencer)
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey, Rodney Rothman, Phil Lord and Christopher Miller)

Best Foreign-Language Film
Capernaum (Lebanon)
Cold War (Poland)
Never Look Away (Germany)
Roma (Mexico)
Shoplifters (Japan)

Best Sound Mixing
Black Panther (Steve Boeddeker, Brandon Proctor and Peter Devlin)
Bohemian Rhapsody (Paul Massey, Tim Cavagin and John Casali)
First Man (Jon Taylor, Frank A. Montaño, Ai-Ling Lee and Mary H. Ellis)
Roma (Skip Lievsay, Craig Henighan and Jose Antonio Garcia)
A Star Is Born (Tom Ozanich, Dean Zupancic, Jason Ruder and Steve Morrow)

Best Sound Editing
Black Panther (Benjamin A. Burtt and Steve Boeddeker)
Bohemian Rhapsody (John Warhurst and Nina Hartstone)
First Man (Ai-Ling Lee and Mildred Iatrou Morgan)
A Quiet Place (Ethan Van der Ryn and Erik Aadahl)
Roma (Sergio Diaz and Skip Lievsay)

Best Production Design

Black Panther (Hannah Beachler and Jay Hart)
The Favourite (Fiona Crombie and Alice Felton)
First Man (Nathan Crowley and Kathy Lucas)
Mary Poppins Returns (John Myhre and Gordon Sim)
Roma (Eugenio Caballero and Barbara Enriquez)

Best Visual Effects
Avengers: Infinity War (Dan DeLeeuw, Kelly Port, Russell Earl and Dan Sudick)
Christopher Robin (Christopher Lawrence, Michael Eames, Theo Jones and Chris Corbould)
First Man (Paul Lambert, Ian Hunter, Tristan Myles and J.D. Schwalm)
Ready Player One (Roger Guyett, Grady Cofer, Matthew E. Butler and David Shirk)
Solo: A Star Wars Story (Rob Bredow, Patrick Tubach, Neal Scanlan and Dominic Tuohy)

Best Film Editing
BlacKkKlansman (Barry Alexander Brown)
Bohemian Rhapsody (John Ottman)
The Favourite (Yorgos Mavropsaridis)
Green Book (Patrick J. Don Vito)
Vice (Hank Corwin)

Best Animated Short
Animal Behaviour (Alison Snowden and David Fine)
Bao (Domee Shi and Becky Neiman-Cobb)
Late Afternoon (Louise Bagnall and Nuria González Blanco)
One Small Step (Andrew Chesworth and Bobby Pontillas)
Weekends (Trevor Jimenez)

Best Live-Action Short
Detainment (Vincent Lambe and Darren Maho)
Fauve (Jeremy Comte and Maria Gracia Turgeon)
Marguerite (Marianne Farley and Marie-Helene Panisset)
Mother (Rodrigo Sorogoyen and María del Puy Alvarado)
Skin (Guy Nattiv and Jaime Ray Newman)

Best Documentary Short
Black Sheep (Ed Perkins and Jonathan Chinn)
End Game (Rob Epstein and Jeffrey Friedman)
Lifeboat (Skye Fitzgerald and Bryn Mooser)
A Night at the Garden (Marshall Curry)
Period. End of Sentence. (Rayka Zehtabchi and Melissa Berton)

Last edited:
I feel like this is a weak year for Best Picture

I didn’t know Cuaron did Roma. Love his work on Children of Men

I see A Star Is Born winning quite a bit

Edit:

I honestly feel like Into The Spider-Verse might be the best movie I saw this year

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Free Solo with the deserved win. Highly recommended; one of the most inspiring achievements in human history.

Yoda

The only nomination for best picture I saw this year was Black Panther, while it was a good comic book movie, it's nothing I'd ever feel the urge to watch again (I haven't seen it again since the first time I watched it in theaters). Given the The Dark Knight couldn't win BP as a comic book movie, it'd be really strange if this one pulled it off.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I hope the Russos enjoy their giant piles of money and universal public acclaim for making one of the best blockbusters ever. Everyone will be shaking their head at Black Panther getting a Best Picture nom over it in the coming years, if they aren't already.

JareBear: Remastered JareBear: Remastered It's one of my favourites of the year. From the director of The Lobster and The Killing of a Sacred Deer. Like The Lobster, it takes a hard look at interpersonal dynamics and the human condition, with a black comedy edge to it.

Da-Kid

I hope the Russos enjoy their giant piles of money and universal public acclaim for making one of the best blockbusters ever. Everyone will be shaking their head at Black Panther getting a Best Picture nom over it in the coming years, if they aren't already.

JareBear: Remastered JareBear: Remastered It's one of my favourites of the year. From the director of The Lobster and The Killing of a Sacred Deer. Like The Lobster, it takes a hard look at interpersonal dynamics and the human condition, with a black comedy edge to it.
Black Panther was also a universally acclaimed film that broke records too.

Solomeena

Banned
Free Solo with the deserved win. Highly recommended; one of the most inspiring achievements in human history.

I really hope they come out with a 4K UHD disc, they apparently filmed this with bulky 4K cameras. I am a huge fan of Alex Honnold and what he does is insane.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Black Panther was also a universally acclaimed film that broke records too.

No doubt. Michael B. Jordan is one of the best villains in the MCU, and it has a great soundtrack. Infinity War crushes it at its own game, though.

bitbydeath

I have no idea how A Quiet Place got nominated for best sound editing. The sound was awful. Sometimes you could hear things such as running water but running in grass, nope that’s silent.

kunonabi

Spider-verse and BR winning grinds my gears but the rest of night has been pretty on target aside from shoplifters getting snubbed.

Corrik

Bohemian Rhapsody is def best picture. Oscars is basically coming off as a coronation for it at this point.

kunonabi

You really didn't like Spidey? I thought it was truly excellent.
I found the animation "style" to be awful and the "everyone can be a spider-man/hero/jedi shtick has been played out. this year also had a crazy amount of excellent animated movies that didnt even get nominated.

Solomeena

Banned
I have to say, the Oscars without a host this year has gone pretty damn smooth so far. I like it, always hated the bloated opening monologue.

highrider

Banned

I’m fascinated by climbing but too scared of heights, and old. I can’t even wrap my head around no ropes on a 3000 ft vertical rock.

highrider

Banned
Am I crazy for finding GaGa very likable?

She’s super talented. I don’t like a lot of her music but I didn’t like a lot of Prince’s music. Some people talent just flows through and you can tell even if the music at a given time isn’t your bag.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I’m fascinated by climbing but too scared of heights, and old. I can’t even wrap my head around no ropes on a 3000 ft vertical rock.

You can go a long way with technique, so don't sweat your age too much. I do some bouldering and it's exhilarating.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I thought Vice was nominated... Then again I don't care for the Oscars anymore. I'm just glad so many got nominated for the top prize.

Manus

Man can't believe the guy who directed Dumb and Dumber and Me Myself and Irene now has an oscar.

Last edited:
I found the animation "style" to be awful and the "everyone can be a spider-man/hero/jedi shtick has been played out. this year also had a crazy amount of excellent animated movies that didnt even get nominated.
Oooo what else was there. I saw all the nominations and definitely looking for more good animated films.

kunonabi

Oooo what else was there. I saw all the nominations and definitely looking for more good animated films.

The Night is Short, Walk on Girl
Modest Heroes
Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms
Fireworks
Flavors of Youth

Were probably the best ones particularly the first three.

HyGogg

Banned
Based on my social media bubble, it was perceived as a weaker contender.

I thought it was good.
It's a movie about a white racist's redemption by making a black friend. Like Crash before it, it's a ham-fisted narrative that affirms that the Academy only likes movies about race when they absolve white people or remind us of how far we've come.

Notably absent are all the movies about race that deal with present day issues in a way that doesn't make white people feel good. Blindspotting, Sorry to Bother You, The Hate U Give, etc.

There were also just better movies this year. Roma and The Favourite, especially.

EDIT: Desus and Mero pretty much nailed it:

Last edited:

HyGogg

Banned
I was flabbergasted by the judging this year. The acting awards were fine, but the writing awards were way off, Green Book a terrible best picture and Bohemian Rhapsody won best editing despite being one of the most poorly edited major Hollywood films of all time.

It was pretty dry and dull without an actual host, there were almost no jokes at all, just felt like going through the motions rather than anything real exciting or memorable.

Man can't believe the guy who directed Dumb and Dumber and Me Myself and Irene now has an oscar.

To be fair Dumb and Dumber is one of the funniest movies ever made.

Really liked Green Book, I was torn between and The Favourite for Best Picture. Yeah it's a very vanilla movie, but everything about it is airtight and the acting was truly phenomenal. I absolutely loved it. The fact that it will inevitably make a lot of twitter zombies and idiotic media people alike go stupidly salty over it is a nice added bonus.

Last edited:
Really liked Green Book, I was torn between and The Favourite for Best Picture. Yeah it's a very vanilla movie, but everything about it is airtight and the acting was truly phenomenal. I absolutely loved it. The fact that it will inevitably make a lot of twitter zombies and idiotic media people alike go stupidly salty over it is a nice added bonus.
Liked it, too, and don't I think whether or not it gives the Mortensen's character a pass is a problem. Moreover, it' the entire point of the story... Ali's character trying to change white people's stupid opinions without worrying whether or not they're absolved of being guilty of hate. It's a true story about a guy that said decided that, sure in an ideal world, all this racist assholes shouldn't be absolved -- instead Don Shirley tries to rise above that. He's saying, whether they are absolved or not is beside the point -- let's just try change their opinions first. It fact it's courageous of Don Shirley to absolve and forgive people that don't deserve it.

In today's rather hateful politics, it's really beautiful picture about being the better man.

Considering how weak the rest of the field was: Roma being beautiful IMO but not rather masterful; Vice, Star, and Rohemian were good flix only carried by superb acting; BlacKkKlansman was subpar with a great plot but terrible story, and Black Panther was just not even an excellent superhero flick -- I'm quite happy with Green Book winning. Felt it was the best overall film and film experience carried by a really relevant and brave story and a great dialogue.

That said, by a broader standard, it's barely Oscar worthy, and in many other year's, it would be a weak choice, and I think it came through being the safe choice by being great (rather than exceptional) in all ares rather than one, making it vanilla and great but rather not particular spectacular,in a weak and divisive field (by Oscar standards).

womfalcs3

Banned
Rami Malek was the first Arab to win an Oscar. Omar Alsharief, who was also from Egypt*, was the first to be nominated, but didn't win.

*Rami is an American whose parents are/were Egyptian, whereas Omar was Egyptian.

Top Bottom