• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2019 Academy Awards

O-N-E

Lady Gaga came off as fake just like she has in previous award ceremonies.

It also continues to be amusing hearing women on stage preach about equality for women while they all wear dresses.

Lupingosei

Banned
I went to sleep after an hour

8JgS.gif

SirTerry-T

Surprised by the poster not digging Spider-Man's win in the animation category. I though it was a fantastic example of how you can push the medium.

Paddington Bear 2 should have been nominated and the winner of best pic. ;)

Winter John

Gold Member
Only one I've watched is Blackklansmen which I thought was ok. Been meaning to watch the Favorite. Mostly though I'm still annoyed that Toni Collette didn't get a nomination for Hereditary. She was outstanding in that movie.

Rami Malek was the first Arab to win an Oscar. Omar Alsharief, who was also from Egypt*, was the first to be nominated, but didn't win.

*Rami is an American whose parents are/were Egyptian, whereas Omar was Egyptian.

It's funny because last month I played the PS4 game Until Dawn, which he was in and I didn't even know that going in.

So in less than 4 years the guy went from a cheesy horror video game to an Oscar winning actor, that's pretty fucking good.

Corrik

Spike Lee stormed out of the Oscars because Green Book won.

I only seen 3 of the movies, but I felt a Star is Born was the best of those 3.

Corrik

Lady Gaga came off as fake just like she has in previous award ceremonies.

"It also continues to be amusing hearing women on stage preach about equality for women while they all wear dresses."

What the hell does your apparel have to do with equality of rights? That is one of the craziest things I have ever heard someone say. Lololol?

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Here is the full list of 2019’s Academy Award winners for those who missed it. EviLore EviLore can you stick this to your OP? Thanks.

Documentary (Feature) — Jimmy Chin and Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, Free Solo

Actress in a Supporting Role — Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk

Makeup and Hairstyling — Greg Cannom, Kate Biscoe, and Patricia Dehaney, Vice

Costume Design — Ruth E. Carter, Black Panther

Production Design — Hannah Beachler and Jay Hart, Black Panther

Cinematography — Alfonso Cuarón, Roma

Sound Editing — John Warhurst, Bohemian Rhapsody

Sound Mixing — Paul Massey, Tim Cavagin, and John Casali, Bohemian Rhapsody

Foreign Language Film — Alfonso Cuarón, Roma

Film Editing — John Ottman, Bohemian Rhapsody

Actor in a Supporting Role — Mahershala Ali, Green Book

Animated Feature Film — Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey, Rodney Rothman

Animated Short Film — Domee Shi, Bao

Documentary Short Subject — Rayka Zehtabchi and Melissa Berton, Period. End of Sentence.

Visual Effects — Paul Lambert, Ian Hunter, Tristan Myles and J.D. Schwalm, First Man

Live Action Short Film — Guy Nattiv and Jamie Ray Newman, Skin

Best Original Screenplay — Nick Vallelonga, Brian Currie, Peter Farrelly, Green Book

Best Adapted Screenplay — Spike Lee, Sean McKittrick, Jason Blum, Raymond Mansfield, Jordan Peele, BlacKkKlansman

Original Score — Ludwig Goransson, Black Panther

Original Song — Lady Gaga, Mark Ronson, Anthony Rossomando, and Andrew Wyatt, “Shallow,” A Star Is Born

Best Actor in a Leading Role — Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody

Best Actress in a Leading Role — Olivia Colman, The Favourite

Best Director — Alfonso Cuarón, Roma

Best PictureGreen Book

O-N-E

What the hell does your apparel have to do with equality of rights? That is one of the craziest things I have ever heard someone say. Lololol?

I considered not replying to this considering how obvious it is, but since you don't seem to see the irony...

Suits are for men and dresses are for women. Unequal, They conform to this inequality. Clear? Good. No? Can't help you.

Corrik

I considered not replying to this considering how obvious it is, but since you don't seem to see the irony...

Suits are for men and dresses are for women. Unequal, They conform to this inequality. Clear? Good. No? Can't help you.
That is literally the dumbest thing I have ever heard on any level ever.

HotPocket69

Banned
I didn’t see any of the movies nominated. Feels good. Hollywood is trash.

Also, as much as I love Spike Lee’s older work, he’s an angry little bitch when he doesn’t get his way.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I was surprised to see Peter Farrelly, the director and writer of Dumb and Dumber and There´s Something about Mary, win an Oscar for Best Picture and Screenplay. Wow, that is just... what a change in direction. I also want to see Roma so bad. Alfonso Cuaron is one of my favourite directors. Glad that he is still kicking ass at the awards.

I´ve read some dumb shit on GAF but this must be the dumbest shit ever. Seriously, how fucking stupid are you, really? You can´t possibly be serious with this reply?

O-N-E

I´ve read some dumb shit on GAF but this must be the dumbest shit ever. Seriously, how fucking stupid are you, really? You can´t possibly be serious with this reply?

Please expand on your criticism. "It's dumb" and "you're stupid" is too general. There's nothing of substance to rebut.

Last edited:

Makariel

Only movies I watched from the best picture list are BP and Roma. Roma was ok but I really don't understand the hype, I would rather hand Black Panther the Oscar. Children of Men it is not.
Free Solo with the deserved win. Highly recommended; one of the most inspiring achievements in human history.
While I appreciate the achievement, I feel a bit funny about congratulating someone for doing something this dangerous. We sometimes had teens coming into our climbing club that think it's the coolest thing to free solo after seeing the likes of Honnold in youtube videos and they can easily get themselves into trouble on the rock.

Corrik

I've heard Roma is super boring. I will check out Green Book though. Still intend to watch BlackKklansmen also.

O-N-E

No, it´s a perfectly accurate response to the laughable shit you are writing about women´s equality.

Well, all I'm getting from you is emotion and no clue whether you even understood what I said and what your problem with it is.

Don't want to further derail if you have nothing.

Makariel

I've heard Roma is super boring.
It's way too long for the story it wants to tell. Really no reason why this movie takes over 2 hours. First hour was pretty boring indeed. My fiance and I took turns falling asleep until the halfway point. The very first scene was already boring, whoever decided to let that run for so long should have listened to Krzysztof Kieślowski's advice not to waste the time of your audience.

ROMhack

What's phenomenal is that Cuaron went from Y Tu Mama Tambien to frigging Harry Potter as his next project. That's amazing. I thought Children of Men came in-between.

Last edited:

Corrik

Gravity was pretty awesome, but it's a bummer that Alfonso Cuaron has not made a movie quite as good as Children of Men again.

Children of Men is phenomenal, it's downright eerie how the movie is more relevant now than it was in 2007.
Yeah, Children of Men is amazing. Totally agree.

mekes

Unusually for me I don’t think I’ve seen a single movie that was nominated. I would like to see Beale Street sometime soon.

Yeah I don’t understand how Children of Men didn’t make more waves back in 2007. Profoundly impactful film, stunningly made. The long takes are remarkable

Spike Lee stormed out of the Oscars because Green Book won.

I only seen 3 of the movies, but I felt a Star is Born was the best of those 3.

It was my pick to win.

Last edited:

HyGogg

Banned
Black Panther and Spike Lee's shitty movie being nominated, let alone winning multiple awards, completely debunks this narrative.
Did you see Blackkklansman? The whole thing is this bullshit work of fiction about a cop fighting racism in the 70s with the help of his white friends. With a dopey and preposterous feel good ending where they go after a racist white cop in the end.

Almost none of this shit was actually in the book and almost none of what was in the book was substantiated by anything. It's a fantasy film to make people feel good. I like Spike Lee but this is really a film undermined by his worst Hollywood instincts.

Black Panther wasn't AS bad, but it did basically come down to a battle between the hero advocating for forgiveness for white people fighting a villain who wanted revenge.

kunonabi

Those awards for Black Panther... I mean... it's a good movie... but.......

it got the awards it deserved to get. Getting nominated for best picture was a joke but the Academy were on the money otherwise. Bohemian Rhapsody was the real head scratcher as it really didnt deserve any of the Oscars it got.

Last edited:
I, too, find the BR nominations puzzling. Correct me if I’m wrong but it didn’t even review that well? I mean not that it did poorly, or is a bad movie, and not that not reviews should dictate anything on their own, but by most accounts it feels like a decent movie, if unspectacular.

HyGogg

Banned
I've heard Roma is super boring. I will check out Green Book though. Still intend to watch BlackKklansmen also.
Roma is fantastic. I think premiering on Netflix hurt it a bit because people are bound to watch their phone at slow moments rather than take it in. I saw it in the theater and it would have gotten my vote for best film.

The Favourite was really good too. Blackkklansman didn't really belong in the conversation in my opinion.

Nymphae

Banned
I'm somewhat proud of the fact that I had no idea this even occurred until reading this thread title. Fuck Hollywood. And all awards shows honestly, fucking rich pricks jerking themselves off.

Iceternal

it got the awards it deserved to get. Getting nominated for best picture was a joke but the Academy were on the money otherwise. Bohemian Rhapsody was the real head scratcher as it really didnt deserve any of the Oscars it got.

Malek deserved his oscar IMO.

Fbh

Guess I'll have to check out Green Book, some friends have told me it's really good but I generally don't like these Oscar bait type of movies.

Of the ones nominated for best picture I only saw Blackkklansman which I found rather boring, Vice which was ok (and had amazing makeup) and Black Panther which I'd put somewhere in the middle as far as Marvel movies go.

Call me Crazy but I think Infinity War deserved a nomination. As a movie it might not be amazing but the way it competently ties together like 18 movies and 10 years worth of buildup at least felt unique and somewhat groundbreaking for cinema.

Mr Hyde

Don't want to further derail if you have nothing.

Gender equality has nothing to do with dress codes on the Academy Awards (or any other event for that matter). Women wear dresses to showcase their femininity and to empower their womanhood through beauty. not to conform to inequality by made up dress code structures. And if you want to make a Point about unequal clothings, as in men wears suits and thus women should also wear it to be on equal terms, you should view it the other way around, Women do from time to time wear suits, whereas men never wears dresses (if you´re not Matt Stone and Trey Parker, high as fuck on acid).

How is that for equality?

Your first post was never meant to highlight the irony (or "amusement") with women wearing dresses at the same time talking about women equality, it was about you making snide remarks and judgment through their apparels, ignoring the context of their speeches and taking away their achievements.

O-N-E

Gender equality has nothing to do with dress codes on the Academy Awards (or any other event for that matter). Women wear dresses to showcase their femininity and to empower their womanhood through beauty. not to conform to inequality by made up dress code structures. And if you want to make a Point about unequal clothings, as in men wears suits and thus women should also wear it to be on equal terms, you should view it the other way around, Women do from time to time wear suits, whereas men never wears dresses (if you´re not Matt Stone and Trey Parker, high as fuck on acid).

How is that for equality?

Your first post was never meant to highlight the irony (or "amusement") with women wearing dresses at the same time talking about women equality, it was about you making snide remarks and judgment through their apparels, ignoring the context of their speeches and taking away their achievements.

So what you're telling me, is that even though the vast majority of women wear dresses to weddings, awards, and fancy shindigs, that has nothing to do with societal norms and everything to do with beauty? They've all independently come to the same conclusion on feminine beauty? Am I getting that right?

Well, that's simply false. This is a taught beauty. It's what's considered normal for women during high-class occasions. I'm good with that, but it's funny when women preach for absolute equality and don't acknowledge that they are already limiting themselves to only a certain set of options that society has dictated for them (like at the Oscars).

Corrik

Equality is about being able to choose what they wish to wear as much as the next person. Not what you choose to...

Liked it, too, and don't I think whether or not it gives the Mortensen's character a pass is a problem. Moreover, it' the entire point of the story... Ali's character trying to change white people's stupid opinions without worrying whether or not they're absolved of being guilty of hate. It's a true story about a guy that said decided that, sure in an ideal world, all this racist assholes shouldn't be absolved -- instead Don Shirley tries to rise above that. He's saying, whether they are absolved or not is beside the point -- let's just try change their opinions first. It fact it's courageous of Don Shirley to absolve and forgive people that don't deserve it.

In today's rather hateful politics, it's really beautiful picture about being the better man.

You nailed it, this is exactly why I enjoyed where the movie was aiming at. Nowadays there's a rather mediocre notion that people can't improve. Like if you have a racist background you should probably kill yourself because there's no hope for you. In reality, it doesn't work like and life doesn't need to be that antagonistic. It's a shame the message is falling on deaf ears and people are saying Roma made white people uncomfortable which is why Green Book won... Which is obviously unintelligent drivel.

A bit unrelated to what you talked about, but I've seen people sharing on Twitter that the movie was "full of lies" according to Shirley's family. I checked those lies, there's 3 of them. The first one was that Shirley wasn't estranged from his family, which he definitely could have been even if for a short period of time. The second one is that he didn't feel ostracized from the black community, which again nobody can ever tell with certainty except for himself. The third one is that he ate fried chicken prior to that car scene which is just WOW. When you read about the "lies", you think it's something significant, like maybe Tony Lip remained a racist asshole, or that they were never friends, or anything significant. Obvious it's not, it's petty irrelevant bullshit so people can accuse the film of "lying". Twitter zombies are stupid and dishonest, it's a dangerous combination.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
overall there wasnt a single movie they showed that looked remotely compelling... maybe The Favourite ? ;[[[
last couple of years have been really lackluster

the last REALLY good movie I saw was over 10+ yrs ago - Children of Men - and If I recall correctly it got ZERO recognition from the academy. its a fucking joke

I mean, looking at the winners from last couple of years.. Shape of water, Moonlight, Spotlight, Birdman, 12 years of slave, Argo, The artist, The Kings speech, The hurt locker, slumdog, No country for old men. All these movies were mediocre at best? and then you keep going you got Chicago, Shakespear in love, Million dollar babe, etc its all garbage WTF

Zangiefy360

Banned
The Academy is screwed. It's obvious they're trying super hard for a more inclusive and diverse environment, but it feels forced and that they're compromising their values to get there. It's obvious they are doing this not because they believe in it, but that they are afraid of what will happen if they don't.

It couldn't have been more obvious that they're afraid of black people and the far left. I timed the first several victory speeches, and if the winner was black they got far more time to speak before the music played (if at all), which tells me the last thing they want is controversy, even at the expense of being fair to all involved.

To wake up this morning and see that the academy chose the wrong movie about race, is just perfect. Go woke, go broke. They'll never make the loonies happy that think race relations is the one most important factor in judging a movie. If they choose movie A, they'll cry why didn't they choose movie B? If they choose movie B, how come movie C wasn't nominated?

I look forward to the reaction next year. Will they try even harder to infantalize black people and up the inclusivity to an even more insultingly obvious number, or will they rediscover the point of the awards ceremony, which is to, you know, celebrate the medium and crown the best films of the year?

mcjmetroid

The Academy is screwed. It's obvious they're trying super hard for a more inclusive and diverse environment, but it feels forced and that they're compromising their values to get there. It's obvious they are doing this not because they believe in it, but that they are afraid of what will happen if they don't.

It couldn't have been more obvious that they're afraid of black people and the far left. I timed the first several victory speeches, and if the winner was black they got far more time to speak before the music played (if at all), which tells me the last thing they want is controversy, even at the expense of being fair to all involved.

To wake up this morning and see that the academy chose the wrong movie about race, is just perfect. Go woke, go broke. They'll never make the loonies happy that think race relations is the one most important factor in judging a movie. If they choose movie A, they'll cry why didn't they choose movie B? If they choose movie B, how come movie C wasn't nominated?

I look forward to the reaction next year. Will they try even harder to infantalize black people and up the inclusivity to an even more insultingly obvious number, or will they rediscover the point of the awards ceremony, which is to, you know, celebrate the medium and crown the best films of the year?

Ya I mean seriously... Black Panther?
It's good but not anywhere near the best of the best of last year.
Infinity War was better but we all know why they picked Black Panther..
(Being honest though I would have picked neither)

I'm all for diversity but we should be picking the BEST movies no matter what race people are. Isn't that what racial equality should be about?

Mr Hyde

that has nothing to do with societal norms and everything to do with beauty? They've all independently come to the same conclusion on feminine beauty? Am I getting that right?

Yes, there are societal norms that dictates what women should and should not wear during certain events but women are not forced too apply to them in any way. They are free to choose their apparels much more so than men, which has been seen numerous times at big events. You are talking about women limiting their options through what society dictates yet many women have chosen to wear suits as to break the norms and guess what, nobody bats an Eye when a woman comes in a suit, thus negating the fact that dress code should be tied to gender inequality. And Beauty is a big part of female traits so highlighting it through fancy dresses and makeup is not to be compared to gender inequality.

And why should the women follow suit in the light of men and wear what the guys wear? Does the same type of clothing create a balance of the sexes? If we are going by your standards why can´t men wear dresses at big parties and weddings? Why does it Always have to be about the women and what they wear, why is that important? Why aren´t you talking about the limited options that men have regarding clothing, not being allowed to wear dresses instead of suits? All this complaining you are doing just seems to be because it rubs you the wrong way when women speaks up in general about women equality. Or women speaking up at all.

Guess I'll have to check out Green Book, some friends have told me it's really good but I generally don't like these Oscar bait type of movies.

Of the ones nominated for best picture I only saw Blackkklansman which I found rather boring, Vice which was ok (and had amazing makeup) and Black Panther which I'd put somewhere in the middle as far as Marvel movies go.

Call me Crazy but I think Infinity War deserved a nomination. As a movie it might not be amazing but the way it competently ties together like 18 movies and 10 years worth of buildup at least felt unique and somewhat groundbreaking for cinema.

Like. I said before, I think Green Book is “good.” I don’t think it’s an elite piece of filmmaking, nor did it “rock my world.” It’s good though.

Weaker year, in general, imo

O-N-E

Why does it Always have to be about the women and what they wear, why is that important? Why aren´t you talking about the limited options that men have regarding clothing, not being allowed to wear dresses instead of suits?

Because I don't care about that particular issue and it's not my point. I didn't mention my own values and you keep responding as if I did.

Someone preaches equality to a room where 100% of their gender is dressed one way and the opposite gender another, that's funny to me. It's crystal clear, really.

VertigoOA

Banned
Glad to hear is set a new record low in ratings. Dying industry... thank god

Black Panther doesn’t deserve shit. Costume design lol. Special effects lol.
It’s not even half as good as the first iron man. Marvel is a joke.

Last edited:
Top Bottom