• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple wins bid for Scorsese film Killers of the Flower Moon, starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Robert De Niro

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

stIYEwh.jpg

"
After months of ironing out budget concerns over Martin Scorsese’s “Killers of the Flower Moon” adaptation, starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Paramount has enlisted Apple to get the film over the hump.

Sources tell Variety that Paramount will still distribute the murder mystery drama, with Apple coming on to finance the pic and also serve as the film’s creative studio. Deals still have not closed, but sources add that they’re very likely to in the coming days.

Imperative Entertainment, whose partners Dan Friedkin and Bradley Thomas acquired the book in 2016, will produce the film. Imperative first bought the book and would later bring on Scorsese and DiCaprio to reteam on the project before bringing it to Paramount.

Based on David Grann’s non-fiction book, “Killers of the Flower Moon” is set in 1920s Oklahoma, where the newly created Bureau of Investigation began investigating a string of murders of wealthy Osage Indians who had been granted revenue rights to oil discovered under their lands. The book carries the subtitle “The Osage Murders and the Birth of the F.B.I.”

For months, the studio and producers had been back and forth on the film’s budget, which those close to the project said ranged between $180 million and $200 million, leading to rumblings about whether the movie would stay at Paramount, move to another studio or go to a streamer like Netflix, which just produced Scorsese’s “The Irishman.”

While there was a time when a move to a streamer was in play, sources close to the director say that, while he was willing for “The Irishman” to appear on a streaming platform, he always envisioned that “Killers of the Flower Moon” would be a theatrical release, with his reps pushing that it stay that way.

Though deals are expected to close for all parties, a production start date is still up in the air, especially when it comes to DiCaprio’s schedule. While the studio and producers were figuring out what would happen with “Killers of the Flower Moon,” sources say the Oscar winner was looking at a number of projects to do before it, including Adam McKay’s next film for Netflix. That movie also stars Jennifer Lawrence, and could possibly go into production before “Killers of the Flower Moon” if DiCaprio were to sign on.

This marks another major move into the film world for Apple after it acquired the rights to the Tom Hanks pic “Greyhound” from Sony for $70 million. It previously co-produced “On the Rocks” with A24, which stars Bill Murray with Sofia Coppola directing.

It marks the sixth collaboration between DiCaprio and Scorsese, who last teamed on 2013’s “The Wolf of Wall Street.”
"

Theatrical run --> Apple TV+ exclusive, most likely. Netflix reportedly lost its bid.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Wow. I enjoyed the Irishman. Good thing I haven’t used the free trial for Apple TV+ yet. I was waiting for a good exclusive to use it.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Cool beans. Scorsese/Leo is usually a sure thing. But Apple is a tech company hollywood game is super cut-throat money will be lost don't know why they're not happy with just distributing digital movies for purchase/renting and taking a cut for distribution. I guess Apple just wants some of that streaming money. greedy! they gotta build franchises that they can pump out sequels to in the movie game if they really wanna last and have their tv/movie biz be self-sustaining. very tough business to make money consistently. good luck Apple.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Apple aren't messing around with their streaming service.

Wish they would just release an official Apple TV app on Android. Might actually sign up to their service if they did that, especially with some of the TV shows the have in development.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Apple aren't messing around with their streaming service.

Wish they would just release an official Apple TV app on Android. Might actually sign up to their service if they did that, especially with some of the TV shows the have in development.
The whole purpose is to get you to buy Apple hardware, they won't go Android ever. Not so sure about that not messing around part. Apple is spending 6 billion over a couple of years. Netflix is spending 17 billion each year. The library of original content for Apple TV+ is actually pretty small.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
The whole purpose is to get you to buy Apple hardware, they won't go Android ever. Not so sure about that not messing around part. Apple is spending 6 billion over a couple of years. Netflix is spending 17 billion each year. The library of original content for Apple TV+ is actually pretty small.

But I don't need an Apple device to watch Apple TV. As per the official Apple website, I can watch on Android, but need to watch through a web browser. They should just release an Apple TV app for Android and then I'll give them my money. They have a Apple Music app for Android after all.

I want to watch the next Spielberg and Hanks WW2 TV series and the Jon Favreau/BBC Walking with Dinosaurs spiritual successor, but I'm not buying an iPad just to watch two TV shows.

DKehoe

Cool. As long as it still has a run in cinemas I'm good with that. Not quite sure how the budget is $200 million though,

MaestroMike

Gold Member
But I don't need an Apple device to watch Apple TV. As per the official Apple website, I can watch on Android, but need to watch through a web browser. They should just release an Apple TV app for Android and then I'll give them my money. They have a Apple Music app for Android after all.

I want to watch the next Spielberg and Hanks WW2 TV series and the Jon Favreau/BBC Walking with Dinosaurs spiritual successor, but I'm not buying an iPad just to watch two TV shows.

You can also watch it on Roku.

Another film with Leo? He's a good actor overall but somewhat overrated when it comes to his performances. It's a more a case of the script and storytelling more than it is him.

Top Bottom