• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

90th Oscars Nominations

Sapiens

Best films I saw last year were blade runner and coco.

Shame-they both deserved full best picture noms.

MR. GRUMPY - I can't image that I really need to explain why posting advertising links isn't allowed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't wait for them to fuck up the Award For Best Animated Feature yet again. As an animation junkie, the animation Oscars have been a joke for so long. True, sometimes a deserving film gets it (Spirited Away, The Incredibles, Toy Story 3), but it seems they often just give it to whatever the most popular animated movie was of that particular year. That doesn't even include all the behind the scenes bullshit that goes on with that award that I could expand upon if anyone would like. I hold it in slightly higher esteem than the Grammys, but that's not saying much.

kunonabi

I can't wait for them to fuck up the Award For Best Animated Feature yet again. As an animation junkie, the animation Oscars have been a joke for so long. True, sometimes a deserving film gets it (Spirited Away, The Incredibles, Toy Story 3), but it seems they often just give it to whatever the most popular animated movie was of that particular year. That doesn't even include all the behind the scenes bullshit that goes on with that award that I could expand upon if anyone would like. I hold it in slightly higher esteem than the Grammys, but that's not saying much.

They already did since A Silent Voice and In This Corner of the World didnt get nominated.

Nester99

Of the films nominated i have only viewed Dunkirk and Lady Bird. I was bored as hell with both, but at least Dunkirk had the weight of history behind it. I kept waiting for Lady Bird to get to the fireworks factory then it ended.

KevinKeene

Banned
Ok, I've only seen Beauty and Beast, Guardians 2 and War of the Apes from that list of nominees.

Could someone tell me which movies are worth watching aka really good? And please no artsy stuff. Thank you.

Fbh

Have only seen Get out and Dunkirk from the ones nominated to best movie.

Get Out was pretty fun and went in unexpected ways. But it was nothing award worthy imo

Dunkirk was a boring two hours Ad for IMAX

I'm pretty sure in recent years they have no longer bothered watching the animated movies and the award instantly goes to the most popular movie Disney made that year.
Nothing made it more obvious than freaking Big Hero 6 beating the tale of princess kaguya and song of the sea.

So Coco has this locked down. And thank god for that or we would have ended with Cars 3 getting an Oscar.

Last edited:
Ok, I've only seen Beauty and Beast, Guardians 2 and War of the Apes from that list of nominees.

Could someone tell me which movies are worth watching aka really good? And please no artsy stuff. Thank you.

Get Out is a quite good movie, my favorite of 2017. Judging from some of the replies in this thread YMMV, but even people who don't like it found it inoffensive.

Get Out is a quite good movie, my favorite of 2017. Judging from some of the replies in this thread YMMV, but even people who don't like it found it inoffensive.

Would you ever rank Get Out as an Oscar Best picture?? Outside of the SJW undertone it was a mediocre but entertaining horror movie.

Honestly thought Its a little gold statue so who cares

Snoopycat

Banned
I hope Alison Janney wins an oscar for her role. She stole that film which shows how good she actually is because there was a lot of talent in I Tonya. That was film I had no interest in but I sat down and watched it because of the reviews and I'm glad I did, it was a great film. It's a shame it probably won't get much recognition.

Have only seen Get out and Dunkirk from the ones nominated to best movie.

Get Out was pretty fun and went in unexpected ways. But it was nothing award worthy imo

Dunkirk was a boring two hours Ad for IMAX

I'm pretty sure in recent years they have no longer bothered watching the animated movies and the award instantly goes to the most popular movie Disney made that year.
Nothing made it more obvious than freaking Big Hero 6 beating the tale of princess kaguya and song of the sea.

So Coco has this locked down. And thank god for that or we would have ended with Cars 3 getting an Oscar.

That was one of the behind the scenes things I was talking about. Several judges in the last few years flat out said they refused to vote for the animated picture award because they don't watch animation and see it as little more than fluff made for kids. This irritates the hell out of me for a few reasons.

They already did since A Silent Voice and In This Corner of the World didnt get nominated.

Yes, but they did nominate Boss Baby, so you know their integrity remains intact.:rolleyes:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Blade Runner better sweep its categories; haven't had such a cohesive audio visual cinema-going experience like that for quite some time. Interstellar tried, but disappeared up its own rear end about an hour in.

Get Out seems like this year's divisive pick, but Peele can introduce himself as "Oscar Nominated Jordan Peele" for the rest of his life, so all is right with the world.

Would you ever rank Get Out as an Oscar Best picture?? Outside of the SJW undertone it was a mediocre but entertaining horror movie.

Honestly thought Its a little gold statue so who cares

You apparently care.

I have no idea where the mediocrity lies. The cinematography is excellent, the acting is superb, it's very well-paced, and the foreshadowing is so expertly done. I would absolutely, 100% rank it as an Oscar Best Picture, and I would be delighted if it was.

I also don't think you know what SJW means. SJW refers to extreme behavior or thought. Get Out is a movie about how we are not post-racial, and how people (including people on the left) overlook how racist their behavior can be - but in a more fantastical setting. I mean, I have no idea where the mediocrity comes from, so I'm inclined to say that the undertone was the issue you took with the movie.

It’s not boring, but for me it wasn’t a film so much as it was a theatre experience.
That’s what it was meant to be. No much story, no real characters, but man was it a tense ride in 70mm IMAX. I think that was the point. So I agree it shouldn’t be included in best picture. The fact that it and Get Out are but not Blade Runner really pisses me off.

You just proved that Dunkirk is a cinematic experience......that's what a film generally is. I believe that Nolan should win for best director because every other director in that category did and will never make a technical cinematic masterpiece like Nolan's impeccable Dunkirk.

Orpheum

After all the buzz Disaster Artist turned out to be just average

Yup, even though the reasons it didn't get nominated for a lot of more categories are a little different, it's an average movie at best. Franco's imitation of Wiseau was superb but that's about it. Sersiously can't understand why everyone gives it so much praise

kunonabi

You apparently care.

I have no idea where the mediocrity lies. The cinematography is excellent, the acting is superb, it's very well-paced, and the foreshadowing is so expertly done. I would absolutely, 100% rank it as an Oscar Best Picture, and I would be delighted if it was.

I also don't think you know what SJW means. SJW refers to extreme behavior or thought. Get Out is a movie about how we are not post-racial, and how people (including people on the left) overlook how racist their behavior can be - but in a more fantastical setting. I mean, I have no idea where the mediocrity comes from, so I'm inclined to say that the undertone was the issue you took with the movie.

Get Out's problem is it's basically a glorified twilight zone episode that falls apart at the reveal. It is excellent until then though. Well, outsids of the awful comic relief with the TSA guy anyway. The movie has the same issue as Lady Bird. They're both really good movies, or great in Lady Bird's case, but they're just sort of slight.

It's an odd year for Best Picture where you have a slate of mostly really good films but none of them are best picture caliber outside of Phantom Thread.

Robot Pants

Get Out's problem is it's basically a glorified twilight zone episode that falls apart at the reveal. It is excellent until then though. Well, outsids of the awful comic relief with the TSA guy anyway. The movie has the same issue as Lady Bird. They're both really good movies, or great in Lady Bird's case, but they're just sort of slight.

It's an odd year for Best Picture where you have a slate of mostly really good films but none of them are best picture caliber outside of Phantom Thread.

and blade runner which wasnt nominated for some insane reason

wihio

Just watched Heaven Is A Traffic Jam On The 405, which is on the short doc list and I found it to be excellent. I have seen a few of the best pic nominees and definitely miss Blade Runner 2049. I really enjoyed that film. I am excited to see The Florida Project next!

Top Bottom