• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

90th Oscars Nominations

Here are the nominations for the 2018 Oscars:
https://www.oscars.org/oscars/ceremonies/2018

13 for The Shape of Water, 8 for Dunkirk, 7 for Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri and 6 for Darkest Hour. Full list below.

BEST PICTURE
NOMINEES
CALL ME BY YOUR NAME
Peter Spears, Luca Guadagnino, Emilie Georges and Marco Morabito, Producers

DARKEST HOUR
Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner, Lisa Bruce, Anthony McCarten and Douglas Urbanski, Producers

DUNKIRK
Emma Thomas and Christopher Nolan, Producers

GET OUT
Sean McKittrick, Jason Blum, Edward H. Hamm Jr. and Jordan Peele, Producers

LADY BIRD
Scott Rudin, Eli Bush and Evelyn O'Neill, Producers

PHANTOM THREAD
JoAnne Sellar, Paul Thomas Anderson, Megan Ellison and Daniel Lupi, Producers

THE POST
Amy Pascal, Steven Spielberg and Kristie Macosko Krieger, Producers

THE SHAPE OF WATER
Guillermo del Toro and J. Miles Dale, Producers

THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI
Graham Broadbent, Pete Czernin and Martin McDonagh, Producers

DIRECTING
NOMINEES
DUNKIRK
Christopher Nolan

GET OUT
Jordan Peele

LADY BIRD
Greta Gerwig

PHANTOM THREAD
Paul Thomas Anderson

THE SHAPE OF WATER
Guillermo del Toro

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
NOMINEES
TIMOTHÉE CHALAMET
Call Me by Your Name

DANIEL DAY-LEWIS
Phantom Thread

DANIEL KALUUYA
Get Out

GARY OLDMAN
Darkest Hour

DENZEL WASHINGTON
Roman J. Israel, Esq.

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
NOMINEES
WILLEM DAFOE
The Florida Project

WOODY HARRELSON
Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri

RICHARD JENKINS
The Shape of Water

CHRISTOPHER PLUMMER
All the Money in the World

SAM ROCKWELL

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
NOMINEES
SALLY HAWKINS
The Shape of Water

FRANCES MCDORMAND

MARGOT ROBBIE
I, Tonya

SAOIRSE RONAN
Lady Bird

MERYL STREEP
The Post

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
NOMINEES
MARY J. BLIGE
Mudbound

ALLISON JANNEY
I, Tonya

LESLEY MANVILLE
Phantom Thread

LAURIE METCALF
Lady Bird

OCTAVIA SPENCER
The Shape of Water

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
NOMINEES
THE BOSS BABY
Tom McGrath and Ramsey Naito

THE BREADWINNER
Nora Twomey and Anthony Leo

COCO
Lee Unkrich and Darla K. Anderson

FERDINAND
Carlos Saldanha

LOVING VINCENT
Dorota Kobiela, Hugh Welchman and Ivan Mactaggart

CINEMATOGRAPHY
NOMINEES
BLADE RUNNER 2049
Roger A. Deakins

DARKEST HOUR
Bruno Delbonnel

DUNKIRK
Hoyte van Hoytema

MUDBOUND
Rachel Morrison

THE SHAPE OF WATER
Dan Laustsen

COSTUME DESIGN
NOMINEES
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST
Jacqueline Durran

DARKEST HOUR
Jacqueline Durran

PHANTOM THREAD
Mark Bridges

THE SHAPE OF WATER
Luis Sequeira

VICTORIA & ABDUL
Consolata Boyle

DOCUMENTARY (FEATURE)
NOMINEES
ABACUS: SMALL ENOUGH TO JAIL
Steve James, Mark Mitten and Julie Goldman

FACES PLACES
Agnès Varda, JR and Rosalie Varda

ICARUS
Bryan Fogel and Dan Cogan

LAST MEN IN ALEPPO
Feras Fayyad, Kareem Abeed and Søren Steen Jespersen

STRONG ISLAND
Yance Ford and Joslyn Barnes

DOCUMENTARY (SHORT SUBJECT)
NOMINEES
EDITH+EDDIE
Laura Checkoway and Thomas Lee Wright

HEAVEN IS A TRAFFIC JAM ON THE 405
Frank Stiefel

HEROIN(E)
Elaine McMillion Sheldon and Kerrin Sheldon

KNIFE SKILLS
Thomas Lennon

TRAFFIC STOP
Kate Davis and David Heilbroner

FILM EDITING
NOMINEES
BABY DRIVER
Paul Machliss and Jonathan Amos

DUNKIRK
Lee Smith

I, TONYA
Tatiana S. Riegel

THE SHAPE OF WATER
Sidney Wolinsky

Jon Gregory

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
NOMINEES
A FANTASTIC WOMAN
Chile

THE INSULT
Lebanon

LOVELESS
Russia

ON BODY AND SOUL
Hungary

THE SQUARE
Sweden

MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING
NOMINEES
DARKEST HOUR
Kazuhiro Tsuji, David Malinowski and Lucy Sibbick

VICTORIA & ABDUL
Daniel Phillips and Lou Sheppard

WONDER
Arjen Tuiten

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SCORE)
NOMINEES
DUNKIRK
Hans Zimmer

PHANTOM THREAD
Jonny Greenwood

THE SHAPE OF WATER
Alexandre Desplat

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI
John Williams

Carter Burwell

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SONG)
NOMINEES
MIGHTY RIVER
from Mudbound; Music and Lyric by Mary J. Blige, Raphael Saadiq and Taura Stinson

MYSTERY OF LOVE
from Call Me by Your Name; Music and Lyric by Sufjan Stevens

REMEMBER ME
from Coco; Music and Lyric by Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez

STAND UP FOR SOMETHING
from Marshall; Music by Diane Warren; Lyric by Lonnie R. Lynn and Diane Warren

THIS IS ME
from The Greatest Showman; Music and Lyric by Benj Pasek and Justin Paul

PRODUCTION DESIGN
NOMINEES
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST
Production Design: Sarah Greenwood; Set Decoration: Katie Spencer

BLADE RUNNER 2049
Production Design: Dennis Gassner; Set Decoration: Alessandra Querzola

DARKEST HOUR
Production Design: Sarah Greenwood; Set Decoration: Katie Spencer

DUNKIRK
Production Design: Nathan Crowley; Set Decoration: Gary Fettis

THE SHAPE OF WATER
Production Design: Paul Denham Austerberry; Set Decoration: Shane Vieau and Jeff Melvin

SHORT FILM (ANIMATED)
NOMINEES
DEAR BASKETBALL
Glen Keane and Kobe Bryant

GARDEN PARTY
Victor Caire and Gabriel Grapperon

LOU
Dave Mullins and Dana Murray

NEGATIVE SPACE
Max Porter and Ru Kuwahata

REVOLTING RHYMES
Jakob Schuh and Jan Lachauer

SHORT FILM (LIVE ACTION)
NOMINEES
DEKALB ELEMENTARY
Reed Van Dyk

THE ELEVEN O'CLOCK
Derin Seale and Josh Lawson

MY NEPHEW EMMETT
Kevin Wilson, Jr.

THE SILENT CHILD
Chris Overton and Rachel Shenton

WATU WOTE/ALL OF US
Katja Benrath and Tobias Rosen

SOUND EDITING
NOMINEES
BABY DRIVER
Julian Slater

BLADE RUNNER 2049
Mark Mangini and Theo Green

DUNKIRK
Richard King and Alex Gibson

THE SHAPE OF WATER
Nathan Robitaille and Nelson Ferreira

Matthew Wood and Ren Klyce

SOUND MIXING
NOMINEES
BABY DRIVER
Julian Slater, Tim Cavagin and Mary H. Ellis

BLADE RUNNER 2049
Ron Bartlett, Doug Hemphill and Mac Ruth

DUNKIRK
Mark Weingarten, Gregg Landaker and Gary A. Rizzo

THE SHAPE OF WATER
Christian Cooke, Brad Zoern and Glen Gauthier

David Parker, Michael Semanick, Ren Klyce and Stuart Wilson

VISUAL EFFECTS
NOMINEES
BLADE RUNNER 2049
John Nelson, Gerd Nefzer, Paul Lambert and Richard R. Hoover

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2
Christopher Townsend, Guy Williams, Jonathan Fawkner and Dan Sudick

KONG: SKULL ISLAND
Stephen Rosenbaum, Jeff White, Scott Benza and Mike Meinardus

Ben Morris, Mike Mulholland, Neal Scanlan and Chris Corbould

WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES
Joe Letteri, Daniel Barrett, Dan Lemmon and Joel Whist

WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)
NOMINEES
CALL ME BY YOUR NAME
Screenplay by James Ivory

THE DISASTER ARTIST
Screenplay by Scott Neustadter & Michael H. Weber

LOGAN
Screenplay by Scott Frank & James Mangold and Michael Green; Story by James Mangold

MOLLY'S GAME
Written for the screen by Aaron Sorkin

MUDBOUND
Screenplay by Virgil Williams and Dee Rees

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)
NOMINEES
THE BIG SICK
Written by Emily V. Gordon & Kumail Nanjiani

GET OUT
Written by Jordan Peele

LADY BIRD
Written by Greta Gerwig

THE SHAPE OF WATER
Screenplay by Guillermo del Toro & Vanessa Taylor; Story by Guillermo del Toro

Written by Martin McDonagh

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Glad to see Molly's Game get some Adapted Screenplay love, Sorkin did a fantastic job. Logan getting on there was a nice surprise too. Get Out with the Original Screenplay nom is niiiice, I don't see how they don't win that. Gotta be one of the tightest scripts in years.

I'm torn on Shape of Water. I can't tell if it'll end up sweeping those technical noms and go goose eggs for the big ones, or the other way around.

Sapiens

Lol at the disaster artist getting a screenplay nod. Didn’t know using the apatow template was a noteworthy achievement.

Last edited:

Z3M0G

Hope Blade Runner sweeps all its catagories... Cinematography especually. He got all the credit in the bonus features about how the Cinematography tells so much of the story on its own.

And woah at Shape of Water... Del Toro's new magnum opus?? I had no idea it was supposed to be this good...

Last edited:

EBE

Call me by your name was great.
Rooting for Zvyagintsev's Loveless

Also I'm disqualifying Blade Runner for
vfx for that awful Rachel

Last edited by a moderator:

Kadayi

Banned

Not everyone's seen it so maybe edit your post.

Kind of disappointed that BR2049 didn't get nominations for film, directing and score tbh. Hope it cleans up in its categories and Deakins finally gets his Oscar.

Last edited:

EBE

Ah, I see my post on Blade Runner has been edited. That's fair. Hadn't thought of that. Wasn't sure if it was in the prerelease material or not

kunonabi

Best picture category is a bit bloated and the animated feature category is an even bigger joke than usual but overall the academy did a pretty good job this year.

hiphopcr

Very strong crop of features this year. Thought Armie Hammer absolutely deserved a nod. Hope that Three Billboards wins, but glad to see it double dipped (very deservedly) in the Actors in a Supporting Role.

I haven't watched Phantom Thread yet but I'm a huge PTA fan so I know I'll probably like it. However I really, really hope Three Billboards wins it all, it's the best movie I've seen getting legit BP Oscars hype since No Country for Old Men. It's utterly fantastic and I'm really sad McDonagh didn't get a best director nomination. That being said there's probably no chance he doesn't win Best Screenplay, it was just beautiful. I loved Lady Bird as well. Shape of Water is getting overrated IMO but I love Del Toro so I can't complain much.

Last edited:
I wasn't blown away by Get Out, but it was a solid movie for sure. I might give it another watch. Saw Logan right around the same time and actually came away thinking it was the better overall movie, and I'm not a crazy X-men fan or anything.

Last edited:

hiphopcr

I haven't watched Phantom Thread yet but I'm a huge PTA fan so I know I'll probably like it. However I really, really hope Three Billboards wins it all, it's the best movie I've seen getting legit BP Oscars hype since No Country for Old Men. It's utterly fantastic and I'm really sad McDonagh didn't get a best director nomination. That being said there's probably no chance he doesn't win Best Screenplay, it was just beautiful. I loved Lady Bird as well. Shape of Water is getting overrated IMO but I love Del Toro so I can't complain much.
This.

And this.

And this.

aerts1js

Um....how the hell isnt blade runner nominated for best pic ?

I was largely disappointed with shape of water. I felt it was one of del toros weaker films.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Um....how the hell isnt blade runner nominated for best pic ?

I was largely disappointed with shape of water. I felt it was one of del toros weaker films.

I'd still have it somewhat high but the pacing really hurts the movie for me. It moves way to quickly at first and then there just meanders around for the second half. The lack of any personality or character for the creature didnt help matters.

God Enel

from the best pictures nominees I only watched get out and it was okay... but best pic? Come on.. overrated imho.a lot of the other flicks aren't here out yet or not my kind of thing.
Surprised that blade runner wasn't nominated for best pic

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Did people already forget that Get Out was one of the most highly reviewed movies, of last year?

Razorback

In which categories would you nominate it? (besides the 5 in which it is listed)

[/spoiler]

Best Picture of course. It's by far the best film of the year and the only one that will be remembered 30 years from now.

And by extension best screenplay and best director. It never made much sense to me how someone can win best director but then not also win best picture. How is he\she being judged? By how nice to work with or how efficient he or she was on set? How would the jury know? All they have to go on is the final product.

Blam

I seriously hope Blade Runner wins the categories it is nominated in. That movie in my opinion was phenomenally done.

CivRab

The fact that Get Out is in the best picture nominations and blade runner is not makes the Oscars look a joke.

Last edited:

Airola

I've only seen Dunkirk and Get Out from the list of the best picture nominees.
We watched 23 movies from the beginning of last year to this day but for some reason we have missed all of the other movies. I don't even know what those other movies are, except for The Post I remember seeing the trailer of.

Get Out reminds me of The Hangover. Word of mouth hyped it to pop culture phenomenon levels and I'm wondering why and how.

Yeah, Get Out was a pretty good thriller but still a disappointment to me. I'm a sucker for horror movies and I had really high hopes for it based on the hype online. I thought it was either something super tense and scary or it had some super clever insane twists and turns in its plot. Turned out it had a "twilight zoneish" take on expectations about what racism is and that was pretty much all fresh it had going for it. The actual movie in itself was a solid thriller, no better, no worse. But definitely not something that should be awarded for the best movie of the year. The IT remake should be on that list before Get Out. And even IT really shouldn't be on the list (and it isn't).

What comes Hangover though, I actually didn't want to watch any of those movies because the hype somehow deflated all my interest towards them :D
But then I watched them all last year and was pleasantly surprised.

Mohonky

Get Out reminds me of The Hangover. Word of mouth hyped it to pop culture phenomenon levels and I'm wondering why and how.

I really enjoyed it. Great movie.

The only movies I saw in this list are;

Get Out
Blade Runner 2049
Guardian of the Galaxy 2

Loved all of them

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I know the Oscars have been a joke for a while ,but Get Out for best picture?

Reviewed well, made lots of money against its budget, culturally relevant. It probably won't win, but I think it deserves to be nominated for sure.

I think this is a pretty good crop of Best Picture nominees. Weakest ones for me are The Post and Dunkirk, and those are still exceptionally well made films.

Mahadev

They didn't include Blade Runner in Best Movie because it's scifi but they included The Post, an obnoxiously pompous movie that other than the performances it screamed mediocrity. Hollywood is so full of itself it's becoming annoying now.

EBE

Yeah id definitely put Blade Runner over Dunkirk (and Get Out for sure) for best picture. Not that Blade Runner would even deserve to make it on the list at that point, but still.

Last edited:

Mahadev

Yeah id definitely put Blade Runner over Dunkirk (and Get Out for sure) for best picture. Not that Blade Runner would even deserve to make it on the list at that point, but still.

Dunkirk barely had a story, it was just war happening on a beach. Get out was an overrated horror (?) flick with some obvious allegory stuffed in it Hollywood-style.

Last edited:
While I understand why it happened with it's Weinstein association, even though Taylor Sheridan got control of it and donated all profits to women's charity. It kinda sucks that Wind River didn't get anything. It's a shame since the film has worth while message, yet the whole Weinstein thing just overshadowed everything in spite.

At least give it an original screenplay nod or something :/

Oh well.

edit: I mean it was 2017s most powerful film about rape.

Last edited:
Watched 3 billboards and the shape of water this weekend.
Loved the first one, the second was good but to me not the best from Del Toro.

Any recommendation in regards to the best picture nominees? I've not seen any of them, but those seeming least like Oscar bait from what I read of the synopsis were Get Out, Call Me By Your Name, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri and The Shape Of Water.

OH-MyCar

I didn't get the praise for Three Billboards, perhaps outside of the performances. The film has some strong and interesting themes & moments, but too many elements of the plot felt contrived in order to reach those conclusions (vague spoilers: the "firebombing", the convenient psychopath, the least-respected cop on the force getting away with what he did...). Also unlike In Bruges, I felt that it didn't navigate that area between comedy and drama as well & was schizophrenic in tone: Here's a story about a girl covered in gasoline, burnt alive and raped. Here are some midget jokes.

It was a solid film but not at all one deserving of Best Picture.

kunonabi

Any recommendation in regards to the best picture nominees? I've not seen any of them, but those seeming least like Oscar bait from what I read of the synopsis were Get Out, Call Me By Your Name, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri and The Shape Of Water.

Out of those i liked billboards the best but they all have issues really. Phantom Thread is better than all of them though.

On a personal note, I have one more movie to watch tomorrow and my top 50 will be finalized.

They didn't include Blade Runner in Best Movie because it's scifi but they included The Post, an obnoxiously pompous movie that other than the performances it screamed mediocrity. Hollywood is so full of itself it's becoming annoying now.

Preachhhhhhh

Mahadev

Preachhhhhhh

I paid money to watch that crap so it double hurts. It's amazing how badly Hollywood is screwing up, they've been spamming us with super hero movies that keep getting dumber every year so at a certain point you're fed up and say "that's enough I'll start watching "brainy" movies now" and half the time you end up with pretentious crap like The Post. It's like they're actively trying to make me stop going to the cinema. Not that I don't blame audiences too, Blade Runner should have been a huge success damnit.

Last edited:

Robot Pants

It seems unlikely that Phantom Thread will win, but it should win everything.

Since Blade Runner wasn’t nominated, It definitely should win Best Picture.
Dunkirk definitely shouldn’t but it most likely will.
I’d be ok with The Post winning also.

Last edited:

Robot Pants

Too many drank the Nolan Kool-Aid. Movie was boring as fuck
It’s not boring, but for me it wasn’t a film so much as it was a theatre experience.
That’s what it was meant to be. No much story, no real characters, but man was it a tense ride in 70mm IMAX. I think that was the point. So I agree it shouldn’t be included in best picture. The fact that it and Get Out are but not Blade Runner really pisses me off.

thelawof4

This year could get interesting. If Dunkirk won't win every Oscar in the music/audio categories i will be disappointed! :D

Top Bottom