• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2019 Academy Awards

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
source.gif

I don't think we can be friends.

rivv3r

Banned
The amount of racial hatred being spewed on social media because Green Book won is actually quite staggering.

SirTerry-T

The last dregs of interest I had in the Oscar's disappeared when those fuckers totally ignored Paddington Bear Two. Best film of last year.

Reply from that tweet thread.

Being bothered by the South Park dudes back in 2000 was dumb, for sure. I was in high school and don’t remember that, probably because I didn’t think anything was wrong with it, those guys are funny like that.

Times have definitely changed, either way

Mr Hyde

Because I don't care about that particular issue and it's not my point.

I know, I was just pointing out the absurdity of your argument that gender equality is tied to dress codes at an Oscar Academy Award. The solution to gender inequality is not for females to dress up as their male counterparts and vice versa because the roots of the problems lies much deeper than that. And if you Think that these women are being hypocrites for speaking their hearts about equal rights while at the same time not being dressed in suits, it is crystal clear that you haven´t got a fucking clue what you are talking about.

balgajo

The outrage culture is crazy thing for sure. Imo, from the nominees, only Roma and Green Book had enough quality to win an Oscar. Even though I think I liked Roma more I was happy for the best picture result.
Anyway, it was a mediocre year for Hollywood. Roma deserved all the prizes it got.

Corrik

I watched BlackKklansman. I thought it was actually rather good. It had political undertones with the America first and making American greatness again stuff, but it was fairly tame until the last 5 minutes.

I felt it was surprisingly pro-police. Are you going to judge all police due to the actions of 1 racist? Etc. It also initially seemed to be comparing both the Black Panther and KKK as both wrong, though the KKK as being worse. That seemed fair.

The end 5 minutes was weird as a rebuke. If anything, Trump's statements in it were kind of inline with the premise of the film to start. That both sides were bad.

Both sides called the police pigs. Both sides were weary of the law. Both sides called for revolution and bloodshed. "Better to shoot a racist pig over a vietnamese".

Overall as a movie it was very good though. I was surprised. Recommend you all watch it.

Top Bottom