• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Strange Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marvel has never actually shot a film in "real" 3D and probably never will. Their conversions range from shit (Thor 2) to decent (Guardians), and this appears to be the first time where the 3D version is worth recommending.

Blader

I asked this in the other thread, but does anyone know if the movie was shot in IMAX at all? I remember reading somewhere that they used IMAX cameras for a few sequences but not sure of that.

AMUSIX

I asked this in the other thread, but does anyone know if the movie was shot in IMAX at all? I remember reading somewhere that they used IMAX cameras for a few sequences but not sure of that.

I believe the IMAX time quoted was 1 hour of the film.
http://comicbook.com/marvel/2016/10...-reveals-doctor-strange-has-over-an-hour-of-/

hmmm...
When Doctor Strange hits the theaters on November the Fourth, you'll see how we specially formatted over an hour of the film to fill more of the screen exclusively for IMAX theaters.
"Specially formatted" might not mean shot in. Then again, this is an actor talking about the technical side of things, so I wouldn't scrutinize the specific words too closely. In any case, over an hour of the film will be in IMAX scale.

Of course, a lot of the IMAX screens will be the CG stuff, so it wouldn't have been 'shot' in the first place...so maybe 'specially formatted" is the correct terminology.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
I usually assume a post-converted 3D movie will look good if there's a lot of CGI.

The IMAX cameras they used were the digital ones, so I think the picture is a bit smaller than the film cameras but still impressive.

kswiston

Scott Mendelson's superhero review scores for the year:

Doctor Strange - 5.5/10
Suicide Squad - 3/10
X-Men Apocalypse - 3/10
Captain America: Civil War - 6/10
Batman v Superman - 5/10
Deadpool - 5/10

Last Year
Fantastic Four - 5/10
Ant-Man - 7/10
Age of Ultron - 4/10

Big Hero 6 - 7/10
Amazing Spider-man 2 - 6/10
X-Men Days of Future Past - 5/10
Guardians of the Galaxy - 8/10
Winter Soldier - 7/10

Iron Man 3 - 8/10
Thor 2 - 6/10
I can't find a score for Man of Steel but he named it the most disappointing/hearbreaking film of the year, so probably not high.

Honestly those aren't even crazy ratings

I remember he has TDK and Spider man 2 in high esteem so I mean he's just has a high standard

Deadpool had a pretty original structure, but you can't do that with every character.

I really really don't like the origin part of Deadpool, specifically the time when he's still human, when I was watching the movie, I keep wanting the origin story to get over quickly and go back to Deadpool like the intro. so the flashback structure really doesn't work for me.

I remember he has TDK and Spider man 2 in high esteem so I mean he's just has a high standard

yeah, I was expecting something crazier than that. 5/10 is the standard for most of these movies if we actually using all 10 numbers here.

kswiston

I would bump a few 1-2 points up and a few 1-2 points down, but I was mainly posting to give perspective. People see 5.5/10 and go nuts, but that's his third highest superhero review in 2 years.

You could probably argue that Mendelson is a little harsher now than he was 2-3 years ago.

guek

Banned
Deadpool and DOFP 5/10?
Civil War equivalent to The Dank World and ASM2?
Age of Ultron 4/10? Below the utterly incompetent BvS TC????

Plenty of those scores are wack, yo.

yeah, I was expecting something crazier than that. 5/10 is the standard for most of these movies if we actually using all 10 numbers here.
He's not though. 5/10 isn't average for him, it's mediocre/bad

shira

Does nobody cares that this was a post-converted movie to 3D?
I hate when they do this as it looks always really bad.

In case you are wondering I normally check here - http://www.realorfake3d.com/

Old 3D was rain drops, some projectile coming out of the screen, or foreground/background tricks. This feels like an upgrade, a lot of the ways SS affects the world with his attacks and his movement morph reality.

Yeah, Mendelson's CBM scores are all over the place and it's hard to get a bead on what he actually looks for or enjoys in them.

Does nobody cares that this was a post-converted movie to 3D?
I hate when they do this as it looks always really bad.

In case you are wondering I normally check here - http://www.realorfake3d.com/

It's not 2010 anymore where everything was given a quick shitty conversion job in the wake of Avatar. Post-conversion has improved a lot in the last few years.

Angel_DvA

Scott Mendelson's superhero review scores for the year:

Doctor Strange - 5.5/10
Suicide Squad - 3/10
X-Men Apocalypse - 3/10
Captain America: Civil War - 6/10
Batman v Superman - 5/10
Deadpool - 5/10

Last Year
Fantastic Four - 5/10
Ant-Man - 7/10
Age of Ultron - 4/10

Big Hero 6 - 7/10
Amazing Spider-man 2 - 6/10
X-Men Days of Future Past - 5/10
Guardians of the Galaxy - 8/10
Winter Soldier - 7/10

Iron Man 3 - 8/10
Thor 2 - 6/10
I can't find a score for Man of Steel but he named it the most disappointing/hearbreaking film of the year, so probably not high.

This dude is close to my taste, I'll watch DC Strange on Netflix one day.

He's not though. 5/10 isn't average for him, it's mediocre/bad

I disagree with some of the movies he puts over/under the 'mediocre' bar no doubt but he aint wrong at just how many are at that level.

anyways, whatever. it's one guy. I'm sure by now with all the times y'all follow these threads you've figured out reviewers you're more attuned to and the like. be it some poster on this forum or a youtube channel or a critic or whatever. despite the goofy pic he definitely doesn't seem like some armond white-level troll. that's for sure.

-griffy-

Banned
Whats the current Average? I hate how RT doesnt show that on the mobile site

7.3/10 (and I feel like I have to remind people that anything above 7 is a very good average for an action film, and only the creamiest of the crop get the rare 8 approaching a 9, like Fury Road or The Dark Knight)

kswiston

I disagree with some of the movies he puts over/under the 'mediocre' bar no doubt but he aint wrong at just how many are at that level.

He does rate non-comicbook/big franchise films easier. Ben Hur, Keeping up with the Joneses, and Jack Reacher 2 were all 6/10 for him, and the only films he's given less than 3/10 for this year are Zoolander 2 and Warcraft. However, like you said, if someone consistently rates a genre of films somewhere in the 3-6 out of 10 range, 5.5/10 isn't worth getting bent out of shape for.

Not that fanboys care. Look at how many years Armond White reviews continued to generate anger.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
7.3/10 (and I feel like I have to remind people that anything above 7 is a very good average for an action film, and only the creamiest of the crop get the rare 8 approaching a 9, like Fury Road or The Dark Knight)
No need to remind me, no worry ;) I expect it to settle around that score.

guek

Banned

anyways, whatever. it's one guy. I'm sure by now with all the times y'all follow these threads you've figured out reviewers you're more attuned to and the like. be it some poster on this forum or a youtube channel or a critic or whatever. despite the goofy pic he definitely doesn't seem like some armond white-level troll. that's for sure.

I don't think anyone really has their jimmies rustled by Mendelson, at least not at this point. It's been clear for years the guy has developed an axe to grind when it comes to comic book movies so him being the only negative review so far isn't a surprise.

Mostly I think people get a kick out of that damn pic

Well shit, even though this one is apparently good in 3D, my buddy HATES 3D and won't go watch it with me now so i may just have to go at it alone :p

Unless there IS a 2D version i didn't know of? Because our cinemas here sure don't seem to offer one hmmm

F-Pina

Post converted movies usually look like shit.

But I saw the IMAX 3D preview and it did not look like shit. Whatever they did here was an improvement.

Thanks.

It's not 2010 anymore where everything was given a quick shitty conversion job in the wake of Avatar. Post-conversion has improved a lot in the last few years.

I saw another movie in 3D that was post converted in 2015 (think it was Avengers: Age of Ultron) and it was also crap.
Was there for Avatar and also for the 3 Hobbits in 3D at 48fps and most movies haven been that much better.
But thanks.

Will not risk it and just see it 2D. Nothing spoils a movie like paying extra because it is 3D and then you can't take it sitting there watching these awfull 3D shots.

kswiston

Personally, I do fall into the camp that feels like it is hard to keep up the same level of excitement for superhero films now that we get a lot more of them. I don't think I have walked out of any superhero film in the past 3 years (since Thor 2 to be arbitrary) feeling like it was much better than a 7/10. I think I have seen all of them other than Fan4stic. Most of them were 5 to 7.5 out of 10 for me. Amazing Spider-man 2 was probably a 4. Ditto with Suicide Squad.

However, I know I was happier walking out of some of the early MCU films, despite not feeling like they were any better now when I rewatch them. At the time, I had no real problems with Incredible Hulk or Thor, and was generally happy with those film experiences, despite the fact that I would rank them low on an MCU list now. Earlier than that, I even sort of liked some of the bad stuff (The first Fantastic Four and Spider-man 3 to a point) because that's all there was.

I am 34, so I don't think 2005-2012 was long enough ago for me to have any particular sense of nostalgia for the era. As is the case with something like JRPGs after you have played dozens of them, the lack of general story/plot structure permutations starts to become more noticeable.

Doctor Strange at least looks like it will have some neat visuals. I am hoping they take some more risks with the Marvel formula with Black Panther though.

Honestly, as a comics nerd it's amazing getting to see these slightly formulaic yet fun Marvel films introduce my less comic nerdy friends to the characters I've known and loved for years.

jett

D-Member
74 on metacritic. RT's way of doing things is really kind of irrelevant.

Personally, I do fall into the camp that feels like it is hard to keep up the same level of excitement for superhero films now that we get a lot more of them. I don't think I have walked out of any superhero film in the past 3 years (since Thor 2 to be arbitrary) feeling like it was much better than a 7/10. I think I have seen all of them other than Fan4stic. Most of them were 5 to 7.5 out of 10 for me. Amazing Spider-man 2 was probably a 4. Ditto with Suicide Squad.

This is where I fall in as well. The superhero genre is just not great.

LionPride

Banned
Doctor Strange at least looks like it will have some neat visuals. I am hoping they take some more risks with the Marvel formula with Black Panther though.

That movie has more black people in it than every Marvel film combined. It's already risky as hell

watership

74 on metacritic. RT's way of doing things is really kind of irrelevant.

Movies are not a science. They're enjoyment is subjective. A genralized overall positive rottentomatoes score is more understandable as a metric than trying to get an accurate percentage average across all reviews.

Was the movie liked? Yes, by the majority of reviewers. But how much was it liked??? Who the fuck cares.

jett

D-Member
Not really. Both MC and RT have pros and cons. RT is far from irrelevant, it's interpretation is just far more broad.

Yeah? I definitely feel like MC paints a more accurate picture of a movie's quality.

Movies are not a science. They're enjoyment is subjective. A genralized overall positive rottentomatoes score is more understandable as a metric than trying to get an accurate percentage average across all reviews.

Was the movie liked? Yes, but the majority of reviewers. But how much was it liked??? Who the fuck cares.

1322.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom