• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Strange Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

guek

Banned
Down to 94%

giphy.gif

As bad as Hacksaw Ridge confirmed

guek

Banned
Dr. Strange hit certified fresh today at 93% and an average rating of 7.3/10

At this point, it's fairly unlikely it'll dip below 90% which at the very least ranks it in the top 5 MCU films on RT. The same goes for MC where its score currently sits at a 74, quite high for a comicbook movie.

This reception is much better than I anticipated and comes as a surprise in lieu of some of the more tepid responses on gaf. Most posters have been positive but there is the complaint of excessive familiarity that is frequently being raised.

Vanish

Those are way better reviews than what I was expecting. I can't wait to see it. But I don't get why Marvel/Disney, an American company, keep releasing their MCU movies a week later in the US compared to the rest of the world???

guek

Banned
Those are way better reviews than what I was expecting. I can't wait to see it. But I don't get why Marvel/Disney, an American company, keep releasing their MCU movies a week later in the US compared to the rest of the world???

Apparently it curbs piracy or some shit? Even though it led to an early cam leak of Civil War anyway. I don't get how it's supposed to work either.

Roman

At this point, it's fairly unlikely it'll dip below 90% which at the very least ranks it in the top 5 MCU films on RT. The same goes for MC where its score currently sits at a 74, quite high for a comicbook movie.

This reception is much better than I anticipated and comes as a surprise in lieu of some of the more tepid responses on gaf. Most posters have been positive but there is the complaint of excessive familiarity that is frequently being raised.

I've seen it twice now (theater was full) and I would definitely agree that the basic plot structure is highly reminiscent of their other films - this is definitely a Marvel superhero origin movie with all that entails.

However, it's executed remarkably well and seemingly effortlessly. They make bringing Dr. Strange to the silver screen look easy, which is a feat in itself.

I still have to stop myself and awe at the fact that Doctor Strange and Ant-Man movies not only exist in our dimension, but that they are also actually good and profitable. Meanwhile, the Distinguished Competition struggles with their big hitters.

guek

Banned
I've seen it twice now (theater was full) and I would definitely agree that the basic plot structure is highly reminiscent of their other films - this is definitely a Marvel superhero origin movie with all that entails.

However, it's executed remarkably well and seemingly effortlessly. They make bringing Dr. Strange to the silver screen look easy, which is a feat in itself.

I still have to stop myself and awe at the fact that Doctor Strange and Ant-Man movies not only exist in our dimension, but that they are also actually good and profitable. Meanwhile, the Distinguished Competition struggles with their big hitters.

Holy shit, a wild Roman appears.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I'm pretty confident I'll walk away feeling similarly a week from now.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I think I'll watch it again in cinema tomorrow.

Actually I think I'll try to watch it 5 times before it is released in the US.

Roman

Holy shit, a wild Roman appears.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I'm pretty confident I'll walk away feeling similarly a week from now.

CBR guy must have gone in expecting to hate it, the audience in my theater had many laugh out loud moments.

As a big comics reader and Dr. Strange fan, I can definitely assure you guys that this adaptation, with a few minor gripes, is exactly what it should be - they could have almost not been more faithful to the source material.

So the high RT score doesn't surprise me. It's the kind of movie that, while not blowing your mind plot wise, is executed so well that most reviewers would be hard pressed to give this less than say a 6.5/10.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Feige has said that they choose to give different regions the benefit of an early release every go around as much as they can as it actually helps grow their international business.

Makes a lot of sense, really.

DeathyBoy

Banned

It's very, very good.

That's down to the cast and the directing, because the script... the actors make it work. Visuals are absolutely ridiculous.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Nice to see Dr Strange is getting good reviews.

I don't really know a thing about it apart from the star. Off to see it at Imax in a couple of hours.

santi_yo

Almost the first time I agree with RT about a Marvel movie. Loved the visuals, tone and courage of this film. We need more superhero movies like Doctor Strange.

Deserved reviews.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Almost the first time I agree with RT about a Marvel movie. Loved the visuals, tone and courage of this film. We need more superhero movies like Doctor Strange.

Deserved reviews.

It really was breathtaking at points. I mocked The Matrix comparisons, but it's in that ballpark visually.

This movie has some seriously creative action sequences. Also Cumberbatch looked amazing in that awesome costume. I remember those "like cosplay" comments when the first image of him show up lel.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I have tickets for today. I'm really looking forward to it.

Cappa

Banned
Ok im giving my opinion as someone who's gotten a bit bored with the super hero movies in the past years as well as someone who really doesn't care for 3d movies.

I just got done seeing Dr strange in 3d and have to say it's absolutely fantastic. I think they nailed it with Dr strange and going in with low expectations actually helped me in my opinion. This film is also perfect in 3d for those of you who are able to see it in imax i envy you.

Go see this movie even if you're fed up with the whole super hero theme!

Fliesen

What a great movie.

Loved it. That's all i have to say.

It's great when Marvel has to get out of their "Stark and friends" comfort zone, and does something... different.

Garlador

What a great movie.

It's great when Marvel has to get out of their "Stark and friends" comfort zone, and does something... different.

Don't you mean something... strange?

... It's okay. I'll see myself out.

(wife and I have our tickets for Friday saved)

Cappa

Banned
Is this movie worth watching in 3D?

as per my post right before yours, yes absolutely. If you can go to see it in IMAX do it!!!!!!!!!

Like I said, I normally do not care for 3D or Imax but this movie is absolutely fantastic and does it well.

How do I check for LIEMax? I don't want to pay money for it.

If its "digital IMAX" then its "fake."

Here´s a little google list of Real and Fake (be warned it may or may not be 100% accurate)

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...ll=13.112049864219959,-122.02389949999997&z=1

I am actually going to DC for a long weekend (from NJ, me and my wife did the same thing about a year ago and loved DC so much and only saw about 30% of what we wanted, so we went back).

Tonight I realized this may in fact be the first Marvel movie I do not see on opening weekend, and it is my most anticipated. My wife amazingly said "well if we really have to, we can see it in DC."

So even though it seems like a waste of a weekend getaway, I plan on doing just that. Maybe it will even be in iMax. Shit, I should look that up now huh?

There's a real IMAX theater in Chantilly near Dulles. Believe they're showing Doctor Strange.

There's a real IMAX theater in Chantilly near Dulles. Believe they're showing Doctor Strange.

It's really just south of the Dulles runway at the Udvar Hazy Air & Space Museum. But I would get there early if you want to watch IMAX. I watched TFA and had to sit at the second row, where I could only see the bottom right corner of the screen and gave myself a massive neck cramp.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
What a great movie.

They do this all the time. Antman, GOTG just for examples

Roman

MovieBob review is up

I agree with the sentiment that maybe all superhero films don't need to be action movies.

Maybe, but Bob sounds like he wants this to be more of some sort of stoner film, which is...an unrealistic expectation at best.

Superheroes beget conflict. Both publishers have tried romance, detective stories and other approaches, but readers at large aren't buying them.

Superheroes require some sort of purpose, they can't just walk around with powers. This means villains - the best heroes are shaped by their villains. This means - in most cases - violence. This means combat. This means action setpieces.

Ant-Man tried to subvert this trend, but still ended up with major combat scenes. With these blockbusters it is practically unavoidable.

Harmen

as per my post right before yours, yes absolutely. If you can go to see it in IMAX do it!!!!!!!!!

Like I said, I normally do not care for 3D or Imax but this movie is absolutely fantastic and does it well.

If its "digital IMAX" then its "fake."

Here´s a little google list of Real and Fake (be warned it may or may not be 100% accurate)

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...ll=13.112049864219959,-122.02389949999997&z=1

I have seen several films on both regular screenings and digital Imax screenings and found the difference to still be substantial (for reference: Inception, Dark Knight Rises, The first two Hobbits, Star Wars TFA). Not saying real Imax isn't superior (the only one we have shows classic films and some films like The Hateful Eight, but it's great), but given the relatively small difference in price here (a few euro's extra), digital Imax is a great upgrade and the sound is usually better too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom