• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Resident Evil Village: The Digital Foundry Tech Review + PS5, Xbox Series X|S Analysis!

JRaGgOS.jpg

I0pFsXs.png

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So you've never used an SSD until 2021? Damn, you've been deprived.

Seriously though, it's great on both systems and the QoL benefits with fast loading are appreciated but there's people using the results there to infer things related to platform features/stability/capabilities which they really don't know much of anything about.

Even if things were reversed in load time results it wouldn't be "the most important thing" IMHO; load times aren't gameplay.

It's 56 GB/s for Series S; one GDDR6 2 GB module out of the five is reserved for CPU and audio. 224 GB/s / 5 = 56 GB/s per 2 GB module.

Ah yes, we shall trust your years of expertise in game performance analysis over a reputable source that has had both Microsoft and Sony engineers come on multiple times to discuss their technological features, techniques etc.

Oh wait...

Just so you know, I've bought this game on xbox and have openly said how important the series x fps and more importantly VRR is in me making that decision for my purchase and my LG CX in the other thread.

I was trying to say the loading, which to my knowledge has not been shared anywhere else before this video is the most important to me...from this video. The ps5 loading should be applauded here. Its damn near instant.

Fredrik

I lost sight of the goalposts for 1 minute and now 5 seconds of loading screens are more important than smoother frame rates across the board. Hard times!
No first hand experience, looked at a playthrough. On PC everything is a seamless world, screen fades to black sometimes but no loading screens. When is it showing loading screens on Xbox?

Tripolygon

Banned
They’re not synchronized, PS5 is a couple of seconds behind XSX version but XSX still has an overall lead in FPS by about 4-10fps in those select scenes which is 10% to 18% but skewing towards 10%. I don’t understand why this is a point of contention.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Not cherry picking at all. I'm just going by the DF video.

You are the one trying to claim DF's video is bad due to bad syncing. And you're trying to rework their video with cherry picked snapshots to form your own narrative.

No, you just don't know what you're talking about.

@8:20

"At best the Series X has a 9 to 10 performance advantage similar to the kind of thing we saw in Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition with RT enabled. This combat in the long grass is NOT SYNCHRONIZED between the two consoles but it does seem to indicate a small level of extra performance on Series X."

I can tell you don't pay attention to their analysis very well. They have stated multiple times before that they try hard to make a scene like for like (in other comparison videos). If an explosion causes the frame-rate to drop and it's happening on one and not the other, then you cannot say it's comparable at that exact same moment. You have to compare the frame-rate drops the EXACT TIME it happens on screen.

This is common sense and I don't know why you're refuting this.

Last edited:

NickFire

I bet the average person will notice one more than the other.
I can't speak for Series X load times, but unless this is their first console generation ever, I don't think its possible for an average person NOT to notice how fast PS5 games load.

Anyway, I like what I'm seeing here for both consoles, and regardless of the differences the load times are what I think really sets this generation apart from the last right now. As for the differences, I think that's exactly what an informed consumer should expect this generation. Regardless of marketing fluff, it seems simple. Want a great experience --> get either version. Want brute force and a few extra fps or pixels --> get Series X version. Want minimal load times and best controller support --> get PS5 version. No need to hide differences, minimalize them, etc. We've got clear options for hardware, and for each their own.

As an aside, did you finally get lucky on next gen hardware?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I can't speak for Series X load times, but unless this is their first console generation ever, I don't think its possible for an average person NOT to notice how fast PS5 games load.
My comment had nothing to do with a comparison. It was a declarative statement.

Most won't notice one or the other in direct comparison either (whether it was framerate or the like), other than us ubernerds arguing over YouTube videos.

I have not really been looking. Been mainly PC gaming as of late, no drive to wee hour babysit websites.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

The art style is amazing! 👌

Tech is pretty good too with stable 60fps modes, the lack of interactivity is not surprising since RE8 is a cross gen game 100%,but the visuals are prettier than 7 it just wasn't gonna have the same impact in 2021

modiz

No first hand experience, looked at a playthrough. On PC everything is a seamless world, screen fades to black sometimes but no loading screens. When is it showing loading screens on Xbox?
When loading a save file. After that it's seem less. But you don't see it often on Xbox because QR.

around 10% ;) hard to say exactly couse scene is dynamic and drops are not in same second on ps5 and xsx, we have to wait for vgtech spreadsheet
Those up to 10% images are not showing the same exact scenes, it's the worst case (on PS5) using a bit different moment. VGTech will indeed show us the exact gap in same conditions. But we already know in the worst scene in the demo the gap is 2fps between PS5 and XSX. That's 4%.

Last edited:

skneogaf

All the versions are exactly what is expected for the hardware choices it seems.

I think capcom could have or should have gone with an even more demanding raytracing options for 30fps and pc players.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You should listen to your own advice for a change.

Apologies, then. Sadly, these kind of threads have a tendency of drawing warriors out to play. To a point I just kind of preemptively look for any tribal signals.

Sometimes that's a false positive though like in this instance, so apologies.

This is a subjective argument though and hinges on what the user wants out of their experience. Believe it or not a lot of people don't see brief load times every now and then the end of the world or intrusive, but might see FPS drops as very intrusive. For others, it's the inverse.

It's an interesting proposition for speedrunners but that will also hinge on if there aren't patches which improve load times on Series X in particular, as that is a possibility. So for speedrunners at the moment, PS5 and Series X are equally viable options for aforementioned reasons. Casuals won't care, at least not until the game gets VR support (and even then, that is a very small fraction of the casual audience who will care too much given past ratio of adoption).

Some features on Microsoft's side like DirectStorage and SFS are still not really available, therefore aren't being leveraged by games on the platform.

Also since Sony have marketing rights with RE Village, they probably extended resources to Capcom in terms of SSD I/O assistance, likely similar help and assistance to whatever's been provided to partners like Bluepoint and devs like Insomniac.
No need to apologise :)

The only thing holding this back from being a next gen game is texture quality from up close and the extremely static/non-reactive world. It looks amazing and it's quite impressive that it runs with multiple RT effects on consoles at 60fps most of the time. Even if it's low res RT effects.

I can't wait to see what games will look like in 2-3 years.

Last edited:
Does this mean I will see 4.5 times detail on Ps5 over XSX ?

Game development in general is not a engineering process with numbers (ok ok, MS Projects with costs, dates): It's more art than engineering.

The potential differences depends about game requirements and how each studio will develop their game engine to next-gen platforms.

RE Village has an excellent checkerboarding implementation in all next-gen console SKUs, thanks to RE Engine.
Marvel Avengers has native PS4 Pro checkerboarding implementation. Not so good.
Ghost of Tsushima has the same native PS4 Pro checkerboarding, and they did a better job with reconstrutction than Square.

Artists painting their art. Each one will offer different result.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Game development in general is not a engineering process with numbers (ok ok, MS Projects with costs, dates): It's more art than engineering.

The potential differences depends about game requirements and how each studio will develop their game engine to next-gen platforms.

RE Village has an excellent checkerboarding implementation in all next-gen console SKUs, thanks to RE Engine.
Ghost of Tsushima has the same native PS4 Pro checkerboarding, and they did a better job with reconstrutction than Square.

It's a joke post. ;)

Exanthus

Banned
You really should stop quoting tweets from that dick Joe Miller. Or v_iHugi as he was known here before being banned for supreme fanboyness!

Impressive loading from PS5, but still a win for XSX - frame rate is king.

I concur on the douche bag Miller.

Excellent results. Can't wait to play this tonight

assurdum

Banned
The only people cherry picking are the few xbox guys in this thread and of course you say nothing about it.

This is scene is not synchronized. They said its dipping due to a lot of effects, so look at what's happening on the left when building crashes into the water.
hmTnmiK.png

Now on the right. Similar, but more effects on the splash and it drops to 47fps.

53fps vs 47fps on a somewhat identical scene. That is still within 10%.
KVTkG5L.png

If you see nothing wrong with 58 vs 47, then you're clearly being bias. lol
I checked the video many times using the lower speed function on YouTube, just my guess, but the only reason because ps5 runs so worse it's because the big monster is captured on the screen more often where on series X less. I think John unintentionally hasn't noticed how such presence impacted the FPS and he catched the series X later and with the views more angled in such instants. Now I'm curious to see the VGtech if there will be of course just to confute such thing.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Watching this video i cannot help but think about how insanely AMAZING RE IX is gonna look 🤤

i already love the visuals in VILLAGE, but its the swan song of last generation consoles,not a native PS5/Series game, just the start of what REngine can do this gen.

Imagine an epic E3 reveal with photorealistic zombies 🧟‍♂️cheering crowd, fanboys crying of happiness.
Photorealistic Leon/Chris/Claire.

It doesn't even matter how the final game turns out, we can be sure the reveal is gonna be EPIC!

Last edited:

Nvzman

As much as I like Digital Foundry, I'm finding it extremely lame that they aren't paying any attention to the last-gen ports of RE8, especially considering how many people are going to wind up playing the game on them. I'm absolutely fascinated by the performance of RE8 on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, the One X version actually runs at (uneven mind you but it gets there) 60fps inside the castle while in the 4K mode. It feels like 30-40 in the village part of the demo but I was genuinely shocked at how smooth it felt when actually inside during the castle demo.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
around 10% ;) hard to say exactly couse scene is dynamic and drops are not in same second on ps5 and xsx, we have to wait for vgtech spreadsheet
I dont know why its so hard for John to run through the same level and do an average framerate? This is literally the most basic benchmark you can do. Everyone in the industry from tech youtubers to tech websites do average and 1% minimum benchmarks in every single benchmark comparison. Just wtf is DF doing?

Imagine doing a GPU benchmark between a 2080 and 2080 Super and saying the difference is 7-10%. No you have to show you results. Getting the average framerate is available in the most basic framerate counter tools.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
I dont know why its so hard for John to run through the same level and do an average framerate? This is literally the most basic benchmark you can do. Everyone in the industry from tech youtubers to tech websites do average and 1% minimum benchmarks in every single benchmark comparison. Just wtf is DF doing?

Imagine doing a GPU benchmark between a 2080 and 2080 Super and saying the difference is 7-10%. No you have to show you results. Getting the average framerate is available in the most basic framerate counter tools.
How much I hate Dictator is the only who knows how did proper comparison especially in the FPS performance. John and the rest of the crew are very amateurish in such stuff. Series X is definitely more stable when solely GPU is involved but imo the benchmark John showed in the dump area (or swamp?) seems a bit inaccurate.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

but on the other hand I rarely watch vgtech just go straight to his video description and spreadsheet :D

assurdum

Banned
People better get used to XSX winning every DF comparison instead of whining and trying to find loopholes.
People like you would be better to start to grow up and to read properly some post indeed to reduce the conversation about who has won and my favourite console will always win (which is not even true).

Last edited:

Yep, like NXGamer NXGamer do in his videos. We have a better comprehension about real differences in whole gameplay.

In this image bellow, 52 vs 41 fps is a noticeable difference.

But maybe it's not in DF's interest. I remember some DF past stuff, lot of talk about specific drops on Xbox Series X or PS5, and when we see the average in other channels, it's almost the same.

Ei1ZS4K.jpg

Last edited:
People like his better would start to grow up and to read some post indeed to reduce the conversation about who has won.
Oh I read the posts alright, the usual «DF ain’t doing its job right» stuff while trying to decipher where the monster is in that scene or the other scene to uncover why the ps5 version runs worse. Oh you edited the post by writing «which is not even true». Well it has been true for quite a while now so stick to the comparisons of launch games if it makes you sleep better at nights.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
People better get used to XSX winning every DF comparison instead of whining and trying to find loopholes.

F Fulcizombie

Report me if I continue to console war​

Dont tempt me.

How much I hate Dictator is the only who knows how did proper comparison especially in the FPS performance. John and the rest of the crew are very amateurish in such stuff. Series X is definitely more stable when solely GPU is involved but imo the benchmark John showed in the dump area (or swamp?) seems a bit inaccurate.
I think its a good stress test. Perfectly valid to do benchmark runs imo. But they have to do a better job of presenting your results. I was going through some 6700xt benchmarks the other day and this is how everyone in the business posts results.

MFS2020.png

You have average and minimum fps. It's benchmarks 101. hell, DF does it for their GPU benchmarks. If DF doesnt want their consoles to have this kind of nitty gritty detail then dont even do benchmarks in stress test areas. Just do a simple run through the game's various levels and do an average framerate comparison. But if they are going the extra mile to find a good benchmark spot then you ought to present your results a bit better than that.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Oh I read the posts alright, the usual «DF ain’t doing its job right» stuff while trying to decipher where the monster is in that scene or the other scene to uncover why the ps5 runs worse.
Read is a thing. Trying to understand is another. And obviously you don't even care to check what I'm saying. Because you are not interested to understand why such performance difference happens but it's just about claim how much superior is your favourite hardware in performance 🤷‍♂️; until make you happy but avoid to use DF as a shield of your narrative.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned

F Fulcizombie

Report me if I continue to console war​

Dont tempt me.

I think its a good stress test. Perfectly valid to do benchmark runs imo. But they have to do a better job of presenting your results. I was going through some 6700xt benchmarks the other day and this is how everyone in the business posts results.

MFS2020.png

You have average and minimum fps. It's benchmarks 101. hell, DF does it for their GPU benchmarks. If DF doesnt want their consoles to have this kind of nitty gritty detail then dont even do benchmarks in stress test areas. Just do a simple run through the game's various levels and do an average framerate comparison. But if they are going the extra mile to find a good benchmark spot then you ought to present your results a bit better than that.
Imo no. Because if I could bet when the big monster is present on the screen, series X is closer to the ps5 performance as John make to intend with such capture. Indeed he hasn't even noticed how impactful is such enemy on the FPS

Last edited:

Yep, I agree about that. Yes we know that it is impossible to have exactly the same gameplay phase which could impact a little the results. But that give more accurate overview.

Read is a thing. Trying to understand is another. And obviously you don't even care to check what I'm saying. Because you are not interested to understand why such performance difference happens but it's just about claim how much superior is your favourite hardware in performance 🤷‍♂️; until make you happy but avoid to use DF as a shield of your narrative.
Why would I avoid DF ? I think it is others, based on the replies here, that should avoid DF. Such performance differences happen because the XSX is a stronger console, simple as that.

assurdum

Banned
Why would I avoid DF ? I think it is others, based on the replies here, that should avoid DF. Such performance differences happen because the XSX is a stronger console, simple as that.
You see? That's the only argument you have? So when ps5 outperforms series X such difference happens because is the stronger console, simple as that?

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Game development is more an art vs an engineering process ("with numbers")?

Pretty sure I've seen it all now on this board.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Xbox with a vrr tv is going to be an absolutely awesome way to experience this game with raytracing. Hyped for tomorrow. I was hoping my copy arrived today but never mind.

also happy to see the loading is only done once and then it’s seemless through the playtime. The ps5 loading should absolutely be applauded here though. Insane speed.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Still I have to disagree completely DF about the raytracing. Is not that subtle in the external. The surface are extremely more natural and reflects the lights. Without raytracing everything seems faked and darker. Couldn't be the best raytracing ever but I don't understand why they continue to say it's minimal impactful. It's not at all for me

Last edited:
You see? That's the only argument you have? So when ps5 outperforms series X such difference happens because is the stronger console, simple as that?
When has the ps5 outperformed XSX in games released after Christmas ? Hitman 3, Outriders, Resident Evil 8 e.t.c. Am I missing some significant, non-launch, games where the ps5 has outperformed the XSX ?

Game development is more an art vs an engineering process ("with numbers")?

Pretty sure I've seen it all now on this board.
Maybe it's "formal engineering" for some studios who make the same assets and reuse in the same way in tons of games. Like same animals models in different IPs.

Top Bottom