• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Resident Evil Village: The Digital Foundry Tech Review + PS5, Xbox Series X|S Analysis!

saintjules

Better performance with RT on Series X during heavy sequences, very fast loading time on PS5, solid performance on both.

summary:

AlIo3rX.gif

There needs to be a video showcasing the evolution to this meme.

I am 30 minutes in and I spend so much time in each scene. Omg the game looks incredible. Wow. Sure I am playing on 3080 and 48" oled in my face with blinds down but holy detail.
I have it all maxed. Is vrs balanced free fps?

You got that LG CX 48"?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
all this arguing back and forth, and there is only one console that has VRR and delivers a smooth experience with raytracing enabled if you have invested in the hardware to take advantage of it.

I think everyone needs to give Riky Riky some props here, because the VRR flex is very real in this game. its the perfect example of why both consoles needed it yesterday.

I was very real about my investment into next gen and I worked damn hard to secure both consoles and an LG CX. Sony told me the PS5 would have VRR and here I am 6 months later with no update. Of course this is just my opinion but I didn't expect Sony to be behind Xbox here.

I always used to see Xbox as a software company and Sony as hardware. MS is kicking ass in its hardware and software support this Gen.

assurdum

Banned
all this arguing back and forth, and there is only one console that has VRR and delivers a smooth experience with raytracing enabled if you have invested in the hardware to take advantage of it.

I think everyone needs to give Riky Riky some props here, because the VRR flex is very real in this game. its the perfect example of why both consoles needed it yesterday.

I was very real about my investment into next gen and I worked damn hard to secure both consoles and an LG CX. Sony told me the PS5 would have VRR and here I am 6 months later with no update. Of course this is just my opinion but I didn't expect Sony to be behind Xbox here.

I always used to see Xbox as a software company and Sony as hardware. MS is kicking ass in its hardware and software support this Gen.
Is it a MS PR marketing spin or an opinion this post? Yeah OS typical are unstable on launch on playstation unfortunately, I'm not defending it but what about the monster who should destroy the ps5 hardware and at launch indeed was underperforming? What about the exclusive games? We should some prop to Riky? He talk as a MS PR an nothing more and troll about everything playstation, I don't give a prop to who makes just console war in his posts, sorry

Last edited:
That scene drops to 51 on Xbox Series X a second before the PlayStation 5 does.

You can literally see that it, but you're clearly ignoring the fact that they are not playing at the exact same time. It's not difficult to understand.

Better yet, take a screenshot of the scene just so I can prove you wrong.
You're getting really annoyed by a Series X performance advantage, its time to take a break, step away and relax. 10 to 15 percent is noticeable but but not anything to worry about my friend.

Probably done to show even more the advantage of the fast ssd . Btw After the first loading time (and not to downplay the ps5 fast ssd, but i can def wait 6 seconds more on a initial loading time) seen to be a seamless experience on both console as per the video with no more loadings

I don't think it's an issue with this game but with other titles like Ratchet longer loading times might get annoying.

ethomaz

Banned
What's interesting is that RE7 load times are around 7 seconds on the PS5. Pretty curious that they managed to reduce it to under two seconds. I'm guessing using Kraken and all that custom hardware helped improve the loads a great deal. It's also a result that I've observed in other games on PS5 such as NiOh, Demon Souls, Spiderman, Ratchet and Clank and even Returnal. I don't think it's a fluke that the loads are that fast.
There is no RE7 PS5 version.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Is it a MS PR marketing spin or an opinion this post? Yeah OS typical are unstable on launch on playstation unfortunately, I'm not defending it but what about the monster who should destroy the ps5 hardware and at launch indeed was underperforming? What about the exclusive games? We should some prop to Riky? He talk as a MS PR an nothing more and troll about everything playstation, I don't give a prop to who makes just console war in his posts, sorry

Im just trying to have a bit of fun and to give Riky some deserved props for the VRR love. They get a lot of shit about it haha.

Both consoles are powerful and MS is ahead on OS and features such as VRR. there is nothing wrong with highlighting that. We should be demanding that Sony get's the features they said would be on the console out there. VRR is a game changer, it simply is. Just mentioning it.

I absolutely rate both consoles, and I want my PS5 to get VRR as soon as possible...also expandable storage but it is what it is.

assurdum

Banned
You're getting really annoyed by a Series X performance advantage, its time to take a break, step away and relax. 10 to 15 percent is noticeable but but not anything to worry about my friend.
I agre it's time to take a break and stop to provocate the other one.

ethomaz

Banned

You guys needs to decide.

Or Series lacks the tools and games.
Or it is kicking asses in software department.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I don't think it's an issue with this game but with other titles like Ratchet longer loading times might get annoying.

The loading time difference in RE has no impact on the experience, just like the performance difference doesn’t but it is nonetheless interesting to observe and speculate. We are all waiting for U5 and next gen games that start using the I/O in these machines for real, in the sense that the games are developed with them in mind from the get go. Resident Evil is a PS4 game with next gen topping.

MonarchJT

Banned
You guys needs to decide.

Or Series lacks the tools and games.
Or it is kicking asses in software department.
in reality is both...the os seem to be more complete that what you have on ps5 (software department) but at the same time the total change of architecture gave ms the possibility to improve the gdk, well they did it and this is taking longer than usual ... also because of covid. Both console have stuff no ready at lunch ..VRR..or ssd hw expansions as example on the ps5.....and the famous "tools" in the xsx/s...it is what it is

Last edited:
VRR is not magic.Digital Foundry praises because they need to, so that they can cover developers' laziness.

Even if there isn't tear or judder, a rocky framerate never feels smooth as much as a locked framerate.

I see VRR as a gimmick that should only be used for minor FPS variatons between 57-60.
So the majority of Xbox drops in this game?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
VRR is not magic.Digital Foundry praises because they need to, so that they can cover developers' laziness.

Even if there isn't tear or judder, a rocky framerate never feels smooth as much as a locked framerate.

I see VRR as a gimmick that should only be used for minor FPS variatons between 57-60.

Do you use it, have you used it. It's a game changer. I used G sync for years and cant believe TVs got VRR. It's a brilliant technology.

Interesting about the loading, we had seen examples on 1st party games but now we're are seeing a huge difference in performance.

No not in the seconds as that will never feel huge but the % difference. 5.39 times faster or whatever it is.

This is nice for loading but is promising for the real purpose of asset streaming.

That sort of advantage would be massive and means for eg ps5 wouldn't need as much data in ram being stored only to be potentially used.

So if an open world game on ps5 contains data for the next 1 second of gameplay, wherever you may go be it left right, back etc, the data will be loaded only for that second, and stream in on that basis.

This game whilst utilising ps5 speed won't be re written to completely use ps5 advantages as its still cross gen.

The xbox being much slower may need considerably more to be stored in ram to be potentially used so maybe 5 or so seconds worth of data for wherever the player can reach in that time. Only based off this games difference though.

Its funny despite ps5 showing it could do this before still people questioned where is the ssd and io advantage, well its pretty clear here in the multiples faster.

People arguing over maybe upto 10% on frames but here we have 539% faster or whatever the actual number is, in an area where devs said was the thing they were most excited for and could make the biggest difference this gen.

The ssd and io once utilised which be a big advantage for ps5 this gen once the engines built around it arrive.
There are plenty of Xbox features to deal with RAM management and storage. Sampler feedback streaming and velocity architecture will lower the amount of data needed to be stored in RAM at any given time. MS chose to go with a software focused solution to deal with memory management over an exotic storage solution.

As demonstrated both features have to be implemented to be of any benefit. Hence many games in the past loading only a few seconds faster on PS5 despite the paper difference in speed.

Elios83

Capcom did a really good job on both.
They're as close as you can get and it's good to see they took advantage of all the new features on PS5 (ray tracing with 60fps target, really fast loadings, reduced install size with data compression, Tempest engine, Dual Sense) even though we're still looking fundamentally at a cross gen game.
I will start playing it tonight.

thatJohann

Not sure whether to get this on PS5 or Series X.

I love the instant loading on PS5. I love the better performance of Series X. My tv doesn’t have VRR so maybe I should just go PS5.

rofif

Banned

Vrr really helps. Especially in 40 to 60hz range.
I play on PC and getting 120 with drips to 70 and it feels really good all the way. And that's on lg oled which are known to have not the best vrr but I don't see any problems. It plays and feels perfect. If not for vrr, I would have to lock to 60fps with half gsync of 120hz display. But thanks to it I am averaging probably 90

Dodkrake

Banned
Also in that Xbox file size is the Series S files.

Yeah.

Smart Delivery is a new technology introduced with Xbox Series X|S consoles. When purchasing a game with Smart Delivery, the best version of the game is automatically delivered to your console, regardless of generation – no extra steps required from you. We’ve got answers to common questions about Smart Delivery here.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

You're the same guy who got caught bragging about performance lead few months ago on THPS 1+2 and when the results came out, you wanted people to stop talking about the better performance on the PS5. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I don't care if XSX performs better. It's funny to watch people cherry pick something and then get mad at other people for correcting them.

Riky

$MSFT
Yeah.

Smart Delivery is a new technology introduced with Xbox Series X|S consoles. When purchasing a game with Smart Delivery, the best version of the game is automatically delivered to your console, regardless of generation – no extra steps required from you. We’ve got answers to common questions about Smart Delivery here.

And?

Thirty7ven

Banned
Once VRR gets implemented via a firmware update on the PS5, all this downplaying and dismissal will disappear like a fart in the wind.

Although it shouldn’t be needed as games would be better locked, it is great when they ain’t.

VRR isnt downplayed or dismissed. It's a bit like HDR, how many people have displays with good HDR? With VRR it's even worse, because it's such a recent addition to the market, and only some TVs support it.

It's great for those who have it, it's great that Xbox already supports it (benefit of MS not selling TVs, meanwhile Sony won't enable VRR on PS5 because they don't have TVs supporting it yet), and as it becomes more common more and more people will be in on it and framerate fluctuations will matter even less.

Yeah someone trying to downplay VRR is silly. Especially with its years of past use on PC when it was labeled gsync/freesync. Gsync/VRR's introduction to gaming was more important than HDR, RT, DLSS or anything else thats come to gaming in the past years.

I would argue that it's only really useful at lower framerates unless you're really, REALLY sensitive to tearing. Otherwise, if you're in the 90-120fps+ territory, the difference is going to be minimal. Since I switched to higher end GPUs (2080 and then 3080), I've never felt the need to even engage gsync on my monitor. Hardcore PC gamers probably would benefit more from something like having a halfway decent HDR implementation (and matching monitor contrast and peak brightness improvements).

Then again, console games targeting 4k60 would make much more frequent and effective use of this and already have the contrast and HDR thing down with high end VA panel TVs. SOO, yeah, there's really no reason to downplay it and the Sony Ponies that haven't come around on it will surely do so the moment it's farted into existence by Cerny on the platform. Just watch.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Yeah someone trying to downplay VRR is silly. Especially with its years of past use on PC when it was labeled gsync/freesync. Gsync/VRR's introduction to gaming was more important than HDR, RT, DLSS or anything else thats come to gaming in the past years.
Yup, I can’t play on PC without gsync, that’s how effective it is. There used to be thread after thread praising it. Console gamers haven’t experienced it yet though, and since you can’t show a smooth 57fps video on a 60fps Youtube video things will be like this until they have a VRR capable TV and can see it with their own eyes.

skit_data

Reading through the thread... funny how several posters that were pissed about the ”technical parity” clause in that leaked marketing agreement now go out of their way to prove how big of a performance difference there is between the two versions

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
After 7 hour playtime in 1 seating the game went to 35fps. Maybe that 10gb on 3080 is not enough lol

Reading through the thread... funny how several posters that were pissed about the ”technical parity” clause in that leaked marketing agreement now go out of their way to prove how big of a performance difference there is between the two versions

Just imagine if there were no technical parity clause..

GHG

Gold Member
After 7 hour playtime in 1 seating the game went to 35fps. Maybe that 10gb on 3080 is not enough lol

Did it recover after restarting the game?

I noticed something similar when changing the resolution up/down in the demo version. After moving it down (which makes it even more strange) it would tank below 20fps and stay there unless I restarted the game.

Just imagine if there were no technical parity clause..

The series S would be better than the PS5 version then! Unlimited possibilities.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
So the XSX version does not include the XSS version. Just pointing out, again, how you like to selectively misremember things in the name of console warring. It's ok that the XSX version is bigger than the PS5 version, it won't hurt you.
I actually deal in facts, you're wrong.

I've downloaded RE to my Series X storage card, played the game. I then take the card and plug into my Series S and guess what? It plays with no additional data! How does it do this?

A) Magic
B) The files for both versions are in one download.

You'll work it out eventually.

Last edited:
Top Bottom