• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Alan Wake 2 Xbox Tech Review - Excellent On Series X, But What About Series S?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Any noticeable changes with todays patch ?

No mention of performance fixes, mostly visual and progress breaking glitches.

Good to see they've addressed one of the biggest issues that almost broke the game for me where a certain quest would not progress, I had to redo the segment 5, 6 times before it triggered.

Although this part is interesting:

–Minor improvements to image aliasing in Performance mode and Xbox Series S

Both Performance mode and Series S should have a little bit of an improvement in IQ with lower aliasing going by the above.

Last edited:

Three

AW2? It does work on older cards but the performance is shit.
If you switch from DX12 to Vulkan with a mod you get a 50% performance boost. Rather stupid if you ask me

MMaRsu

Banned
pc gamers tend to dislike consoles with a bias.
And they also are mvoe favorable to xbox brand because they release on pc as opposed to ps
Pretty much this is where Im at

Although I dont dislike consoles perse

Last edited:

Roberts

No mention of performance fixes, mostly visual and progress breaking glitches.

Good to see they've addressed one of the biggest issues that almost broke the game for me where a certain quest would not progress, I had to redo the segment 5, 6 times before it triggered.
Glad to hear it. I'm at the Wellness centre atm with Saga and starting to really enjoy the game. If this shit happened to me, I don't think I would have the patience to redo stuff many times to progress.

adamsapple

Some screens from the Performance mode, first 5 minutes of the game.

IQ is notably softer compared to Quality, but I am noticing less shimmering in motion after the latest patch, so looks like they've done a little bit of work on that.

qYnimg3.jpg

OI5Sv6O.jpg

Cag4DLU.jpg

DaGwaphics

That is not the issue I have.
According to Mr. Wang from AMD, primitive Shaders work as Mesh Shaders. And he says that Primitive Shaders are on Radeon since Vega.
But then why is it that Alan Wake works perfectly well on RNDA2 and 3. But does not run well on RDNA1 and Vega.
Is something missing in the Primitive Shaders on these older GPUs. Or something is not enabled on AMD's drivers for those cards?

That thing was about Vega, the first to use primitive Shaders. At the time it was touted as being able to improve performance a lot.
But AMD said it would require a driver to be enabled on all games. But that never happened. So only when devs implement support on the game.
Some people speculated that the Primitive Shaders on Vega was not complete.
And that this was also the reason why Raja left AMD.

Agreed. There has to be some kind of hardware difference besides the DX API. Otherwise you could run mesh shaders on the older hardware.

DaGwaphics

I've got an S. I love the hell out of it. Never cared much for the resolution options or frame rates so long as it's nothing game breaking, I'm good. Also an Alan Wake fan. I rock this one after I'm done with Starfield. Can't wait! The S version seems just fine for me. Good stuff
Happy to have the rock solid 60fps on my XSX, but yeah the XSS users have a nice experience as well.

adamsapple

Per NXG:

Quality mode:
Series X is 10 to 20% faster in Quality mode, it also has lower input latency on both Series consoles compared to PS5 in the 30 FPS modes.

Performance mode:
Series X can be 10 to 28% faster than PS5.

Series S:
Looks similar to Perf. mode on PS5/SX, has a more stable 30 FPS than PS5's Quality mode. But the cut-backs make the IQ worse, including lower resolution textures.

Qqo6mtj.png

Last edited:
Some screens from the Performance mode, first 5 minutes of the game.

IQ is notably softer compared to Quality, but I am noticing less shimmering in motion after the latest patch, so looks like they've done a little bit of work on that.

qYnimg3.jpg

OI5Sv6O.jpg

Cag4DLU.jpg
You prefer 30 or 60 in this game?

DaGwaphics

It's actually more than the teraflop difference between the two consoles which shows there are other advantages at play it would seem?

If they were sweating a bit on the XSS version, the Xbox code base might have benefited greatly from those optimizations. Another possibility is that it is related to the mesh shaders, where the DX12 method on console is more efficient than the PS API in this specific area.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member

Per NXG:

Quality mode:
Series X is 10 to 20% faster in Quality mode, it also has lower input latency on both Series consoles compared to PS5 in the 30 FPS modes.

Performance mode:
Series X can be 10 to 28% faster than PS5.

Series S:
Looks similar to Perf. mode on PS5/SX, has a more stable 30 FPS than PS5's Quality mode. But the cut-backs make the IQ worse, including lower resolution textures.

Qqo6mtj.png

djkhaled-dancing.gif

Roberts

Not a fast paced shooter at all, the extra fluidity doesn't really help much.

More visual flare is better in this games case. IMO of course.

Yeah, I usually avoid 30fps as much as possible but I played this one at 30. Good input latency and very nice use of motion blur - there were moments when it felt like I was playing it at 40fps.

Top Bottom