• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 will not have performance mode on Xbox Series S (30 FPS Only)

Draugoth

Gold Member
alan-wake-2-contara-com-um-modo-performance-nos-consoles-097067.png

There is less than a month to go until the long-awaited release of Alan Wake 2 and players were undoubtedly happy with Remedy's recent announcement that the game would feature a performance mode on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series larger frames.

What about the Xbox Series S?

Remedy has now confirmed to the Game Informer portal that Alan Wake 2 will not have the option of a performance mode on the Xbox Series S, which means that it will only be possible to play the title at 30fps.

Remedy Entertainment revealed last week that a Performance Mode was coming to Alan Wake 2 on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X. There was no mention of this mode coming to Xbox Series S, however, and Game Informer reached out to Remedy to ask if the mode was skipping the console. Remedy confirmed to Game Informer today that there will be no Performance Mode for Alan Wake 2 on Xbox Series S.

As for the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X versions, although they will feature a performance mode, Remedy has not confirmed whether it will run at a constant 60fps or whether it will only be the fps released with a 60fps target, claiming that "we're still fine-tuning that".

Source

Belthazar

As for the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X versions, although they will feature a performance mode, Remedy has not confirmed whether it will run at a constant 60fps or whether it will only be the fps released with a 60fps target, claiming that "we're still fine-tuning that".

Source

I'm fine with an unstable framerate if it stays above the VRR lower range.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Good to see that ps5 and xsx were not held back by this console and thats what matters most to me. Series S owners not getting the same experience is a bummer, but I hope they knew that when buying a 4 tflops console. tflops do matter, and 4 tflops can only get you so much.

I don't see the problem. It's a cheaper system for people that don't really care about high-end graphics and just want something to play the latest games. What were people expecting?
That wasn’t how the Series S has been marketed and that’s the problem. The only limitations the series s was suppose to have was not being able to do 4K and not having a disc drive.

Games are now launching incomplete on the console because of the lack of power, that’s a pretty big deal imo because we are only barely 3 years into this new gen.

Last edited:

DrCheese

That wasn’t how the Series S has been marketed and that’s the problem. The only limitations the series s was suppose to have was not being able to do 4K and not having a disc drive.

Games are now launching incomplete on the console because of the lack of power, that’s a pretty big deal imo because we are only barely 3 years into this new gen.
Yeah, I feel that the Series S has been missold to people - It was supposed to be a 1080p diskless version of the Series X - Instead it's a massively gimped version that can't keep up with even 1080p/60

mdkirby

There’s officially too many games this year. I’m gonna buy this at launch to support them, but at this rate i struggle to see me playing it prior to maybe February or march 🤣

Filben

What MS promised them?
Typical corporate answer from them. What does "core experience" even mean in a world of technical facts (FPS, resolution, etc)? They probably argue to "experience the game" which is the core and that you can. For some people a core experience is to play at 60fps, for others it's gameplay mechanics. On the most basic level maybe that you have the same amount of content as in levels, worlds, NPCs etc.

It's just too unspecified. In a perfect world we should take official answers for faithful and true. This won't happen.

All the more reasons to be critical (which isn't the same as being pessimistic as how some people frame it) so corporations are held accountable and consumers can make a well-informed choice.

DragonNCM

Perfectly fine for me as Series S user, eventually will have it on gamepass (& I don't care about Alan Wake 2 at all)

Juza

The benefits of buying such games after a year or so:

- Cheaper price
- Better performance and improvements
- Physical copy (most likely)
- Completed edition

So, the choice is yours.

T-Cake

Good to see that ps5 and xsx were not held back by this console and thats what matters most to me. Series S owners not getting the same experience is a bummer, but I hope they knew that when buying a 4 tflops console. tflops do matter, and 4 tflops can only get you so much.

Or you know people may believe what Microsoft said and that the Series S experience would be identical to Series X albeit with a reduced resolution. It's Phi-lie-p Spencer's team that need chastising, not the buying public.

RoboCain

They could at least go for 720p on low settings and give people the option.

Expecting maximum fidelity from this console on a 60" 4k display is desilusional anyways.

Tflops is not the only factor in this, lack of RAM and memory bandwidth are just as important.

Elysium44

Banned
jason-ronald.png

"""Xbox Series S delivers the same core experience as Xbox Series X, just at a reduced resolution"""

Microsoft should hold developers' feet to the fire (including 3rd party ones) and make them provide 60fps options on all games where the X has it. If that means cutting back to low details and 720p or less internally then so be it. Just give us the option. It is just lazy devs again, doing the bare minimum they can get away with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom