• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2: Lack Of Sales Update Suggests It Didn’t Sell Too Well

tommib

By comparison, Alan Wake 2 sold over 50% more copies and over three times more digital copies in its first two months than Control did in its first four months. Since its release in 2019, Control has sold over 4 million units, generating net revenue (shareable revenue between Remedy and a publishing partner, excluding taxes and platform fees) of approximately EUR 100 million. A great game can generate excellent long tail sales, and we expect this to be the case with Alan Wake 2 as well.

We will continue promoting and supporting Alan Wake 2 and are creating two paid DLCs that will expand the story. We are also releasing updates and carrying out other activities to support the game and its community.
“We are happy with the start of Alan Wake 2’s sales. The price point has also remained at a high level, and the game has already recouped a significant part of the development and marketing expenses. We will continue to develop the game to serve existing fans and attract new players and expect the game to continue selling well.” Tero Virtala continued: “The successful launch of Alan Wake 2 has supported our other game projects: Condor, Control 2 and Max Payne 1&2 remake have all increased development pace thanks to the personnel released from Alan Wake 2, and we expect these projects to reach their next development stages during the first half of 2024. We now have two established franchises: Control and Alan Wake, which are linked through the Remedy Connected Universe. Growing and expanding these franchises will be a key part of our future.

Last edited:

Jesb

I wanna play it but still waiting on more price drops. The gameplay just isn’t that fun of a game.

Terenty

Started playing Resident Evil 4 remake and it's astounding how good this game is compared to Alan Wake. Alan Wake is simply nothing gameplay wise.

If people want to talk about video games as an art form then Resident Evil 4 will be a prime example of an art in a video game format. The gameplay is truly sublime.

Filling your game with FMVs and gibberish with boring, basic gameplay is not it.

Game is absolutely phenomenal. Super diverse in terms of gameplay. True art, cinematic and music. For a Finnish person even more so, but I trust that the global audience will enjoy the Fargo-like weirdness. I am closing in at the end, some 25h in now.
Think Tim Robinson GIF by NETFLIX

I can understand people's enjoyment of the setting/story/visuals/music. But gameplay? Diverse is not a word I'd use.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Good. Next time do a physical release. Also, next time release on the biggest PC storefront. Play stupid games, get stupid prizes.

I highly doubt it would've done well even if it was released on Steam. Gameplay-wise the game is boring and tedious af, probably one of the most boring survival horror games I ever played, which is sad cuz it had potential to be something great, but as it stands right now... pretty much any other Remedy game (except the 1st Alan Wake and American Nightmare) is way better gameplay-wise.

Y'all know the saying: "go EPIC, go broke"

But seriously, the EPIC deal probably fucked them. They helped developing AW 2, sure. But at the same time, they couldnt release physical copies probably due to an agreement with EPIC, and no Steam release.

I've never seen Epic releasing physical games before (corret me if I'm wrong). And they've probably prohibited Remedy to seek another publisher.

They made a deal with the devil to make this game happen, unfortunately

You mean all those black female gamers represented by the main char didnt go and support the product they were catered to ???????

They made a deal with the devil, fuck them.

No physical release is a joke. Espesh when you see physical releases for far more niche games that will never sell more than 1mil.

lmao-crying-laughing.gif

Have they considered actually releasing it?
It could have been under a lot of Christmas Trees this Holiday season + in people's "hands" if they only just released it.

No physical discs heh.

You made your bed Remedy, enjoy laying on it.

This awful game didn't sell well after all that undeserved hype? Maybe there is hope for this industry.

Epic games store wouldn't stop sells of a series people actually give a fuck about which isn't Alan Wake

Crappy woke walking sim.

Good news

This game sucks plus 'aLl DiGiTaL', not to mention this stupid Epic Game Store brilhant ideia.

Is not a hard math, but hey at least the game won some awards at the TGAS.

Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Imagine working on a game for years only to have your publisher decide to essentially not publish your game.
That happens more than we actually know

Fucking Star Fox 2 was more than 90% complete when Nintendo itself choose to do Star Fox 64 instead. We got on the SNES Classic, but still

devutos

Neo Member
Lot of people looking dumb AF right about now. Told ya'll the game was doing well. Remedy was happy with how Control did and this is selling faster than it did. Congrats to the team
Yep people writing posts like this are looking dumb AF indeed. Game hasn't even broken even yet.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I saw that Sweet Baby Inc where involved and just became uninterested, shame the reviews on YouTube didn't really sell me either. I'm told it's good though.

Last edited:
Haven't played either of the Alan Wake games. Are they essentially movies with little control? For example, you walk like 4 steps, then come to an obstacle and have to press a button to go over the obstacle, which triggers a 20 second cutscene of your character navigating the obstacle?

Hugare

“We are happy with the start of Alan Wake 2’s sales. The price point has also remained at a high level, and the game has already recouped a significant part of the development and marketing expenses.

I'm a huge AW fan and enjoyed AW 2, but it didnt even make profit yet.

"50% faster sales than Control" and etc., while having a much, much bigger budget.

1M sales for a game this big is terrible, honestly. AAA games have to sell much more than this to recoup dev costs at this day and age.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Haven't played either of the Alan Wake games. Are they essentially movies with little control? For example, you walk like 4 steps, then come to an obstacle and have to press a button to go over the obstacle, which triggers a 20 second cutscene of your character navigating the obstacle?
Control, while still not great has 10x the gameplay AW2 does.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
“We are happy with the start of Alan Wake 2’s sales. The price point has also remained at a high level, and the game has already recouped a significant part of the development and marketing expenses.

I'm a huge AW fan and enjoyed AW 2, but it didnt even make profit yet.

"50% faster sales than Control" and etc., while having a much, much bigger budget.

1M sales for a game this big is terrible, honestly. AAA games have to sell much more than this to recoup dev costs at this day and age.
The Callisto Protocol did more in 3 weeks

Top Bottom