• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 1 and 2 Remake Has Same Development Budget as Alan Wake 2

Draugoth

Gold Member
hotly-anticipated-max-payne-remakes-get-alan-wake-2-sized-v0-xG9h1r-cfq9PtgA4Z97dcbKmtAm9nxrzK-glANe-ig0.jpg

Remedy has yet to reveal the development budget of Max Payne 1 and 2 Remake or Alan Wake 2, but Finnish analysts estimated Alan Wake 2's total budget at €70 million ($75 million), with €20 million of that dedicated to marketing.

Reporting its financial results for the fiscal year, CEO Tero Virtala said Alan Wake 2 “has already recouped a significant part of the investments made by Epic Games Publishing” after selling over one million units by the end of 2023. Alan Wake 2, which went on sale on October 27 as a digital-only release across PC via the Epic Games Store, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X and S, is the fastest-selling Remedy game.

“As Control proved, a great quality game can have excellent longtail sales and we expect this to be the case with Alan Wake 2 as well,”

Virtala added.

As for Max Payne 1 and 2 Remake, Virtala said its development team “made considerable progress throughout the year.” “Max Payne 1 and 2 remake is going to be a major new game with great potential, enabled by a similar development budget as Alan Wake 2,”

Virtala said.

via iGN

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Curious to see how this ends up. None of those games need a remake at all imo, but if they are remade in the RE4R way, changing a few things here and there, expanding some areas and changing the gameplay just enough so it feels the same but still fresh, then it might be worth it.
I liked the gameplay in Max Payne 3, so my guess (hope) is that the remakes will play like that one.

I also hope they don't butcher the music, Max Payne 1 specially had an amazing one with some 80's action movie vibes to it.

Good stuff.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
After everything that's gone down and now knowing the company kept at Remedy I think it's safe to keep my expectations in check in regards to one of my favourite games of the last thirty years getting remade.

Half expecting a black Maxine Payne to be on the revenge over the loss of her lesbian lover from another white arsehole

Who the fuck knows at this point 🤷‍♂️

What I do know is if they've still got that dogshit company involved something will have changed and not for the better.

Svejk

As excited I am about MP 1 & 2 Remakes, I wish they'd drop us a simple port of MP 3 on current consoles (like they did MP 1). Never got a chance to try it... not sure how I missed out, because it looks fantastic.

Ben87fr

Without James McCaffrey i don't see how it can be done, he was Max Payne, nobody can replace him and anyway those games have aged well, just remaster them we don't need a remake

nkarafo

After all the shit that happened with Sweet Baby... How can you still be excited Remedy is making these remakes right now? As if now it's a good time for remastering/remaking older games? As if they won't be censored or altered as per usual?

Pass me some of that hopium pls.

Last edited:
I hope they still remember how to make a game that is actually fun to play after AW2's design philosophy being that sporadic, half-assed gameplay only exists to further Sam Lake's auteur bullshit.

I love the originals and would prefer remasters in the Tomb Raider or Metroid Prime vein. Updated textures, models and some geometry or whatever.

Senua

Nice attempt at patronizing and understating the issues the game has.
What issues? It has a black protag, and it has one eye rolling line that her shadow utters, the shadow it's trying to put negative shit in her head to confuse her so she cannot think clearly. Context is key. Now every Remedy related thread is full of "Alan Woke" and other mind numbing shite. Just gets boring to read.

nkarafo

What issues? It has a black protag, and it has one eye rolling line that her shadow utters, the shadow it's trying to put negative shit in her head to confuse her so she cannot think clearly. Context is key. Now every Remedy related thread is full of "Alan Woke" and other mind numbing shite. Just gets boring to read.

I know it's a lot of pages but there's a lot of information behind this group and their intentions. Spoiler alert: They are proven racists. They put their ideology in games and the subtlety in the way they do it varies.

And btw, this character wasn't even black originally. So i really wonder, what was wrong with the original character?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Didn't it "blackwashed" an already existing character in order to do that?
Apparently that doesn't count because it was over ten years ago and noone played Quantum Break anyway.
For consistency I just pretend that QB isn't canon.
It's even funnier that the guy whose her father is in Quantum Break too.
So that wouldn't have worked if they kept it the same.

fatmarco

Sucks that Jim MccAffrey died
I don't think McAffrey could have pulled off Max Payne at his age, he didn't sound good as Payne in Alan Wake 2.

In any case I hope it forces them to use the original audio, and subsequently forces them to make a more faithful remake than I otherwise fear they might do considering the current state of their studio.

I don't trust their creative vision when it comes to "new" Max Payne at this point, nor do I trust them to be faithful if they were given actual free reign to make different choices.

(Also I really do not want to see Sam Lake's face in this remake. He thinks he's gaming's David Lynch with his self inserts, and even Lynch's were pushing it)

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Wait what the hell did I miss, I thought GAF liked AW2?

I’m pretty excited to play the remakes. I never got around to playing the original console games, though I was sent a review copy of the GBA game way back in the day. Last year I decided to play through it again, and it absolutely holds up. I still think it’s a solid 8/10 GBA game.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
If it had any to do with the protagonist being black you might be onto something 👍

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I don't think McAffrey could have pulled off Max Payne at his age, he didn't sound good as Payne in Alan Wake 2.

In any case I hope it forces them to use the original audio, and subsequently forces them to make a more faithful remake than I otherwise fear they might do considering the current state of their studio.

I don't trust their creative vision when it comes to "new" Max Payne at this point, nor do I trust them to be faithful if they were given actual free reign to make different choices.

(Also I really do not want to see Sam Lake's face in this remake. He thinks he's gaming's David Lynch with his self inserts, and even Lynch's were pushing it)
Well he was terminally ill...

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
If it had any to do with the protagonist being black you might be onto something 👍

The DEI funding probably is what afforded them to make the game in the first place and turning Saga into a black female was probably part of the deal. Not shocking either that the majority of the game is focused on her.

Id put my left nut on it at this point.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
The DEI funding probably is what afforded them to make the game in the first place and turning Saga into a black female was probably part of the deal. Not shocking either that the majority of the game is focused on her.

Id put my left nut on it at this point.
Probably true, but even so, a black protagonist isn't a bad thing. It's the utterly gush writing that goes with it that does it in for me

At ten minutes and eight seconds in it's 'Big boss lady' off the bat, it's written in that shitty Disney/Sweet baby way :sick:

Just awful characterization. But that's what Sweet baby are known for in regards to their input.

That's why I'm hoping they don't have any here. Leave them out of Max.

Top Bottom