• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 becomes Remedy’s fastest selling game

Happy to hear it's doing well. It's tied for my favorite game this gen, I've beaten it 3 times and watched my wife's entire playthrough. Haven't been this obsessed with a singleplayer game in forever.

Alan Wake Dance GIF by Remedy Entertainment

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It's been reported that it cost $50 million. If that number is accurate, 1 million should be enough to break even (and that's without the money from the EGS exclusivity). The game was priced higher than $50 on consoles, but let's assume a "universal" price of $50 to make things easier.

It depends if they are counting the discounted games as "sales". But they are probably borderline break-even right now.

Fake

I remember when Days Gone director reveal his numbers, people like 'bruh, after many discounts sure you sell a lot', but now some people here ignore discounted possibility when is convenient.

No charts, no numbers, but hey.

Mr Moose

I remember when Days Gone director reveal his numbers, people like 'bruh, after many discounts sure you sell a lot', but now some people here ignore discounted possibility when is convenient.

No charts, no numbers, but hey.
Epic don't give numbers to NPD and stuff apparently, but numbers for this game were just shared. 1.3M isn't all that big, I am actually surprised this is their fastest selling game.
I got it for £25 with the first game for free :messenger_bicep:

Platinumed it earlier this week. Stylistically excellent, shooting mechanics and gameplay really strain to get you through the 10-15 hour experience.

But personally? Worth every penny.
Now bring on Control 2

Yay for Remedy! It'll sell good amount of copies slow and steady.

Hopefully they'll be able to make a physical version to get some extra sales.

Bought this right before trading in all my consoles.
I got as far as the lights going out and a dead body walking around and I didn't know what I was supposed to be doing.

I'll have to rebuy it on PC eventually.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Oh come on now. Even if you don’t like AW 2, that wouldn‘t be fair to the fans of the game. The ending clearly was setting up a third installment of a grand finale, to have it all resolved in DLC length would be a letdown.

That‘s like saying in 1980, “I did not care for Empire Strikes Back, therefore Return of the Jedi should be 30 minutes long.”

I do hope they continue Control as well, but they’d be foolish to wrap up Alan Wake in such a rushed manner. It’s because they have such a dedicated fanbase that helps them keep going despite making such niche games, you don’t bite the hand that feeds you but especially in this sort of situation.
This is typical whiny manbaby behavior these days. Angry fans online basically harass ones that still like the franchise and beg for the latest thing to get cancelled. It is utterly obnoxious. If you don't like something, move on, don't petition for it to be cancelled to basically punish the creators and the people who still like it.

Jesb

Is the game more fun than the first? Great graphics and amazing atmospheric game but I didn’t find myself having fun when the enemies were around. I always couldn’t wait for the enemies to be gone.

Astray

Gold Member
The factoid about digital sales being higher is a little ridiculous considering it had no physical release at all unlike Control. I suspect part of the reason it's using "fastest selling" is due to this fact too. There are no second hand sales now.
Honestly speaking, one of the positives of digital being prevalent is it made single player games more financially viable than before. If you are publishing a AAA singleplayer game in 2014, you used to have to contend with players quickly finishing up your game and then immediately reselling it, meaning the value of a copy of Alan Wake 1 is left up to the used market to decide, and depriving publishers of direct revenue.

Now you can rely on more sales via digital platforms vs before, and it makes the barrier of success lower.

Is the game more fun than the first? Great graphics and amazing atmospheric game but I didn’t find myself having fun when the enemies were around. I always couldn’t wait for the enemies to be gone.
It's made to be more of a horror game where you are outmatched by your foes and have to conserve ammo etc, and I think they didn't really balance that aspect of it very well tbh.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
💀

No

Last edited:

Filben

thats not alot of copy since its multiplatformn
I think for such an artsy non-mainstream game it's quite good.

Good reception isn't always reflected in sales due to potential small (target) audience. We see it vice versa pretty often.

Top Bottom