• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake Remastered recoups development and marketing costs after two years

Draugoth

Gold Member
Alan_Wake_Remastered.png

The remaster finally broke even ahead of the launch of Alan Wake 2.
Alan Wake Remastered has recouped its development and marketing costs around two years after it launched.

The revamped version of Alan Wake debuted in October 2021 and, according to developer Remedy, managed to break even during the third quarter of the current fiscal year.

The Finnish studio shared the milestone in its fiscal report for the third quarter ended September 30, 2023, where it noted that quarterly revenue decreased by 1.1 percent to €7.8 million ($8.3 million). The company also recorded a loss of €5.5 million ($5.8 million), which was significantly higher than the $3.3 million loss it reported in Q3 last year.

Remedy CEO Tero Virtala said that's because the studio has been "investing more in our ongoing game projects than ever before. In the short term, this has a negative impact on revenue, profitability and cash position."

Text Source

Last edited:

nowhat

Other than Quantum Break being a dud for me, Remedy has been a very consistently high quality studio for nearly 30 years.
I don't know about this though. It wasn't made by Remedy so that's a redeeming factor I guess, but some of the lighting/material choices just look way worse than the original IMHO. Alan Wake 2 however, so far, has been terrific. Remedy is at their best when they are being weird.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Good. Remedy can finally start getting paid royalties now.

We’ll see how long it takes for them to get paid for Alan Wake 2.

Good to hear it made it's money back, but I would say it's existence was to allow new players to experience Alan Wake before the second one came out. Make money from the second etc.

Last edited:
Piggy-backing to ask, how was this port? Heard mixed things when it released, wasn't sure if it got improved or what not.

I've never played it, but I'm debating whether to play the original or Remastered. I own the original already, FWIW.

nowhat

Piggy-backing to ask, how was this port? Heard mixed things when it released, wasn't sure if it got improved or what not.

I've never played it, but I'm debating whether to play the original or Remastered. I own the original already, FWIW.
In terms of performance/bugs it's fine. Just that some of the lighting/material choices don't sit well with many people (myself included). There's less contrast as well, which is kinda antithetical to what the game is about. And when it comes to facial models, there's a lot of vaseline.

Flabagast

It's OK, issues were way overblown imho.

On consoles it is of course much better than the original Xbox 360 version. On PC you can go one or the other, if you own the original no need to buy the Remastered imho.

Releasing it on Steam, might get some numbers, not a lot since it's been 2+ years and the sequel is out now, but I understand Epic fully funded this and they probably don't want that.

This runs on their newer post-Control revision of the Northlight engine, vs the OG's in-house engine, which was basically called the Alan Wake engine back then.

Some pre-rendered cinematics now being in-engine/real-time, lip sync, character models (prefer the OG here imo), a new lighting system, increased geometry, improved textures etc, to a name a few which have been revamped, but the OG PC version still holds fine and even old GPU's will breeze through this at 4K given the game's age.

Whether this warrants a purchase is upto you. Get it only during a deep discount during a sale for a few bucks, and only if you care so much despite having the OG.

Also this doesn't have the American Nightmare standalone game btw.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Finally got around to playing it over the weekend as my Halloween game and really liking it so far. Has me excited to see how it connects to Control next.
Yeah I’m actually gonna be playing control after I finish the dlc

Skifi28

Considering how little effort they put, it's really surprising it took this long. I guess it bombed then. Epic store exclusivity probably didn't help either.

Edit: Now that I think about it: No steam release, no physical on consoles...hmm...reminds me of something.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I double dipped, but I've only done that because I LOVE the first game and couldn't pass on earning trophies for it. Judging by how quickly the price drops came it must've bombed hard. Maybe it was because everyone already played it and didn't see a massive upgrade in the remaster, maybe people just weren't interested.

It's gonna be really interesting how Alan Wake 2 sells given there are several additional factors working against them.

Wait what was wrong with the Remaster? I played it when it came out on Series X and thought it was fine aside from missing the American Nightmare game/add-on. The face thing was kinda weird I’ll admit.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I loved this remaster it was so much fun replaying it. Glad they made their development costs back. Sales must not have been too great since I doubt this had a high budget to begin with.

deathsaber

Honestly, whatever they did and didn't make re-releasing this, it did work to sell Alan Wake 2. Without it, good luck trying to sell that project after umpteen years being previously available only on one platform 2 console generations ago.

Top Bottom