• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 will LAUNCH with a performance mode on Consoles

DonJorginho

Banned

via Thomas Puha (communications director at Remedy)
I’m glad to say that Alan Wake 2 will have a Performance mode on PS5 and Xbox Series X. The game has been built from the beginning as a 30fps experience focusing on visuals and ambiance, but somehow we have managed to include a solid Performance mode. We’ll talk details later.

Amazing news imo! they're still tweaking if it's a targeted 60 or a locked 60 but for a game that looks THAT damn good to have any performance option on Console is fantastic news imo!

Last edited:

acm2000

i have my doubts over the resolution on this going by previous games in the engine, might stick to the 30fps with all the prettys mode

Xtib81

Thank god. Day one confirmed then. Hopefully the resolution doesn't drop too low. A 40 fps mode would be icing on the cake though.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
That's cool. I wish we could have performance and visual quality at the same time in modern console games. Better than no option at all.

DaGwaphics

Always nice to see options, must be a GPU bound game. . Hopefully it is not one of those half-assed modes we've been getting where it is 30fps in some moments and 50 in others, LOL.

Hugare

Doesnt look like the kind of game that would tax CPUs much, so it makes sense that they would be able to pull off a performance mode

Personally, I'll play this game at the highest fidelity 'cause it seems to be a looker

And this is no COD, 30 FPS will do just fine

DonJorginho

Banned
Cool !

But if you read between the lines, it seems pretty clear that the intended experience envisioned by the studio is the 30 FPS mode.

It arguably wont be a fast paced game at all, so 30 seems fine by me.
oh without a doubt, 30 isn't the be all or end all and is obviously the original vision, but I'm always for console gamers having more options in terms of how they play their games.

tommycronin

Banned
Mods can take out those words, but if it wasn't coming at launch, it's pretty clear to me he would've made a disclaimer.
I'm only going off the fact that it seems like the kind of word you'd use in a post like that if it was the case and also he said we'll talk details later at the end.

No physical no buy.
Gy0o1Q9.gif

Salz01

Im hoping it’s a smooth 30, like what they have in Jedi Survivor, and not like the one in Final Fantasy 16.

saintjules

Can they help Square Enix with FFXVI's perf mode? Apparently they made the game completely with 30fps in mind but seemingly tried to go backwards and do a performance mode late in the development cycle (according to DF).

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Can they help Square Enix with FFXVI's perf mode? Apparently they made the game completely with 30fps in mind but seemingly tried to go backwards and do a performance mode late in the development cycle (according to DF).

i said i bet this was the case and got dog piled. Its obvious this was the case with ff xvi.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Not only this game is looking incredible, but I think a lot of people will love it so much that it could be the surprise GOTY.
It is that good.

Fbh

Hopefully it's a decent performance mode ant not upscaled 720p at a variable 35-60fps like other games this year.
Hearing it was designed for 30fps is disappointing though

xrnzaaas

i have my doubts over the resolution on this going by previous games in the engine, might stick to the 30fps with all the prettys mode
Control looks really good in the performance mode on the PS5. And it was super stable. I launched the game in 30fps RT mode, but quickly made the change and never came back.

Luipadre

Good, but sticking with quality mode on this one. Want the best possible graphics in this game and its a slow one with less combat so it wont bother me

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Thank fuck. 30fps doesn't belong in 2023.
What an egregious comment.

The game was quite literally developed as a 30fps experience, as they were focused on delivering top tier visuals and ambiance. As they said themselves. The 60fps performance mode will be an afterthought that just works but was never the intended way to play.

It’s clear as day when you read between the lines

JeloSWE

I'll wait for PC reviews that the game runs smooth with no shader compilation stutters, asset streaming or frame pacing issues before I decide to get the game. And I don't play anything below 60fps these days, 30/40fps is simply a terrible experience.

Luipadre

What an egregious comment.

The game was quite literally developed as a 30fps experience, as they were focused on delivering top tier visuals and ambiance. As they said themselves. The 60fps performance mode will be an afterthought that just works but was never the intended way to play.

It’s clear as day when you read between the lines

yeah this is why im sticking with quality mode here. Performance will look much worse with inconsistent fps and knowing Remedy's past games, screen tearing which i cant stand

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
yeah this is why im sticking with quality mode here. Performance will look much worse with inconsistent fps and knowing Remedy's past games, screen tearing which i cant stand
Yep. It will look ugly as fuck in comparison. And probably like 720p.

As soon as they said “the game was built from the beginning as a 30fps game” then playing it any other way is just crazy to me

For anyone curious, apparently there's only a very small number of current-gen games that lack a 60fps option (at least on PS5 that is).

Last edited:
Top Bottom