• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remedy says it's happy with how Alan Wake is running on consoles

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
30fps feels great and looks better. unlike you, some people place value in how their games look AND play. crazy concept, im aware.
I dont have oversensitive eyes like some people to think 30 FPS is "unplayable" but If I have to choose and I have the option I always go for 60FPS over 30FPS and I think most people share my view.

Sorry we not the "true graphics whores"

giphy.gif

Last edited:

tylrdiablos

I wonder what the refund policy/restrictions is on the Epic Games Store. I really enjoyed Alan Wake 1 but I've having doubts about my 8700K & 3080Ti.

I might end up waiting for the 15th Gen Intel CPUs, next year, and upgrade my system based-around that socket.

Filben

Sense

Their hyperfast pixel response times are a two way sword, very little motion blur at high framerates, but at low framerates it can look choppy and effects to smooth this out can look like soap opera
That's why 30fps titles need good per object and camera motion blur. I know people hate motion blur with a passion and for so many crap quality motion blur examples out there I can't blame them. But if you want to get rid of (or at least reduce/minimise) the 30fps choppiness, you need that (so an option for enabling/disabling would be highly appreciated).

proandrad

I dont have oversensitive eyes like some people to think 30 FPS is "unplayable" but If I have to choose and I have the option I always go for 60FPS over 30FPS and I think most people share my view.

Sorry we not the "true graphics whores"

giphy.gif
True graphic whores choose 60 over 30 because it looks better.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Do people think that GTAVI will run at 60fps on consoles lmao ?

RDR2 is still one of the best looking games ever and it ran on base ps4 even if at 30fps, still quite an achievement. Cyberpunk runs 60FPS fine as well and it's also one of the best looking games ever made. Horizon Forbidden West is still the graphics king on consoles and looks ages ahead of many games on PC as well and it also runs at 60 fps. Metro Exodus runs at 60FPS as well and it has full RTGI. Yeah, I'm pretty sure GTA6 will run just fine on PS5 60FPS. Not all developers are amateurs at optimizing.

Last edited:

Sanctuary

Or like bloodborne. Despite some framepacing stutter, the game got better controls response than some 60fps games
Must be nice to be you and not suffer reality like some of us.

I mean yeah, there are truly some horribly optimized 60fps games, but trying to use those to show how well the performance of Bloodborne is, is some olympic level gymnastics.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Must be nice to be you and not suffer reality like some of us.

I mean yeah, there are truly some horribly optimized 60fps games, but trying to use those to show how well the performance of Bloodborne is, is some olympic level gymnastics.
Maybe just try it if you didn’t in a long time. It’s quite responsive

Shut0wen

Some 30fps games feel terrible, others are ok. I hope this is on the better side of that. The whole Starfield "we chose 30 because we needed the overhead for responsiveness" thing was crap on consoles, it doesn't feel that responsive at all.
Really? I thought 30fps on starfield was decent while certain games like sekiro feel terrible, re2 and 3 were 30fps before next gen update and both games felt fine

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Really? I thought 30fps on starfield was decent while certain games like sekiro feel terrible, re2 and 3 were 30fps before next gen update and both games felt fine

What ? RE2RE and RE3RE ran at 60fps on both the normal and PRO/X variations of consoles.
Sekiro was also unlocked.

Anyway i'm here to say one more time that no matter how good and stable a 30fps mode is in a game, on an OLED it will be terrible due to the judder inherent to OLED displays.

The 40fps modes become the "real" 30fps ones of yore when gaming on an OLED

AgatonSax

Well I can only say that I moved from a 15 year old Kuro plasma to a state of the art Oled this year and whilst the image is stunning I was shocked at motion at 30fps. Never had a problem with it before, but apparently it’s all in my mind, so that’s a relief.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I wonder what the refund policy/restrictions is on the Epic Games Store. I really enjoyed Alan Wake 1 but I've having doubts about my 8700K & 3080Ti.

I might end up waiting for the 15th Gen Intel CPUs, next year, and upgrade my system based-around that socket.

Games and apps are eligible for refund within 14 days of purchase if they are marked as “refundable” or “self-refundable”. You must have less than 2 hours of runtime on record.

Alan Wake 2 is self-refundable so if you dont enjoy it or it runs badly you can just self refund within 2 hours of testing or after waiting for the week one patch and seeing if that fixes performance.

P.S
Depending on your current rig LGA-1851 might not be worth the wait.

The is no Intel 15th Gen.
Intel is resetting, and the next chip isnt very good, MeteorLake is so bad Intel is likely skipping Desktops entirely(mobile only) and ArrowLake looks like a dud if Intel themselves are only expecting 5%, its likely lower.
Realistically you are either waiting for the ArrowLake refresh to get the best bang for your buck or holding out till NovaLake.

Core 100 - MeteorLake
Core 200 - ArrowLake/LunarLake
Core 300 - ArrowLake Refresh.
Core 400 - PantherLake
Core 500 - NovaLake

INTEL-PANTHER-LAKE-1.jpg

ARROW-LAKE-S-SLIDE-1.jpg

Im hoping I can nab a cheap 13900K while people sell them excited for the not actually new generation 14th gen and skip LGA-1851 entirely and go to NovaLake.

ArrowLake....
giphy.gif

Last edited:

tommib

I’m prepared for a Jedi: Survivor launch performance on my PS5. And to be honest, this doesn’t look like anything mind-blowing.

We'll find out soon enough, whether I pick it up this year or not hinges on having a solid 60 FPS option on PS5, won't hold my breath for that though lol

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Remedy are technically extremely good, as evidenced by them building and maintaining a bespoke engine that's very advanced.
I really wouldn't worry too much about performance.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
If it’s the ff16 version of 30fps it’ll be great. That game is the best 30fps ever made.

Arsic, don't know brother, I kept hearing that and then I tried the demo : nope, still a juddery, stuttery mess on OLED.

Sorry for beating a dead horse man but personally, no 30fps game I've tried so far on my LG C2 looked good, it's either 60fps or bust 😌.

You gaming on an LCD/LED/MiniLED by any chance ?

Cheers

Last edited:

welshrat

Really hate 30fps, wont get a game on PS5 if it only has 30. 40hz mode on the other hand is great and I have no problems with it. Otherwise its PC for me

Minsc

Gold Member
Arsic, don't know brother, I kept hearing that and then I tried the demo : nope, still a juddery, stuttery mess on OLED.

Sorry for beating a dead horse man but personally, no 30fps game I've tried so far on my LG C2 looked good, it's either 60fps or bust 😌.

You gaming on an LCD/LED/MiniLED by any chance ?

Cheers

I'll co-sign FFXVI at 30fps is the worst looking game I have played in my entire life on my TV. Everything is a huge fucking blur, and you can't see shit. I think they eventually put out a patch that toned down the blur maybe, but I'm talking about the launch state when I played it. It's barely saved visually by the horribly uneven performance mode, but even that isn't great.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

NGL I tried Spider-Man 2 fidelity 30fps, and I'm shocked on how fluid it looks at 30. Of course if you have a 120hz TV 40fps is a lot better, but 30fps in that game is fine. Given the difference in quality. I'm so impressed that for the first time if I had to recommend a mode to people with 60hz displays.

Play SP2 on fidelity mode, the game is gorgeous and fluid even at 30.

Don Carlo

Let's hope so. The fact that they put upscalers as a requirement for running the game on PC doesn't paint a good picture here, but sure, let's see.

StereoVsn

Well I can only say that I moved from a 15 year old Kuro plasma to a state of the art Oled this year and whilst the image is stunning I was shocked at motion at 30fps. Never had a problem with it before, but apparently it’s all in my mind, so that’s a relief.
Just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it!

pqqd1li5bhm31.jpg

Top Bottom