• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remedy thanks Epic Games for the support on developing Alan Wake

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
They get my money, EGS doesn't get an account, and I can sleep at night.

night sleeping GIF

Epic is the publisher for the game on consoles too, so they're getting your money regardless of where you get the game.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Suck it.

My only point was why would you knowingly buy an inferior version of the game that does not have hardware RT and path tracing and high FPS ability and better upscaling ability?

If you only have a console, sure the console versions are great, but the guy I am responding to I assume has a decent PC...
Still with the aggressive PCMR’s stance but also childish insults, alright 😂.
Do you even see how your posts read at all?

Are you protecting Epic Games Stores honour? Somehow I do not think it is your angle. Possibly something to drive blue and green traffic ;).

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I never really understood this sentiment toward Epic. I have no ill-will toward them and their tech is amazing. Sure, I don't like their store, and I love Steam, but give them a break... some competition is a good thing.
That’s no competition. Steam never bough games to be exclusive on epic.
Hell there were games that you could pre order on steam and epic bough them and cancelled steam release.

Epic is just another company trying to win with money. Buying exclusivity, not offering cd keys for resellers and so on. Steam is more open, offers more options to buy games. Epic just created war where there was none. They won’t try to win with services because steam is hard to beat. Consumers don’t need another launcher

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Hell there were games that you could pre order on steam and epic bough them and cancelled steam release.

Epic is just another company trying to win with money. Buying exclusivity, not offering cd keys for resellers and so on. Steam is more open, offers more options to buy games. Epic just created war where there was none. They won’t try to win with services because steam is hard to beat. Consumers don’t need another launcher

Epic financed Alan Wake 2. Game wouldn’t exist without their money.

Valt7786

Incredible that people get in this much of a state over clicking a different launcher and bang on about "muh ethics" when it comes down to big corpos. Epic couldnt give a shit that you are "keeping your integrity" while they roll around in their fortnite money.
All your doing is hurting Remedy by denying them sales.
This also applies to the "no physical no buy" manbabies, what a pointless thing to give a shit about.

supernova8

Banned
This I'm supportive of (actually assisting in the development process after an investment), not mindlessly taking popular games off steam.

More things like this along with actually improving their launcher and Epic will be on the right path to actually competing with Steam. However if all they want to do is what they've done previously then, good luck.
I only ever boot up the Epic launcher to claim the free games. Have never actually bought anything. The launcher seemed fine for me (probably because I almost never have it running)

For the benefit of myself and other unaware, what issues are there specifically with the Epic launcher?

KungFucius

King Snowflake
No matter, I'll play it on PS5 instead. Filthy Epic scumbags.
Translation: "I have a small epenis that cannot handle this game."

No PC gamer with any appreciation of tech would chose a PS5 version of a game over the PC version unless there was a good reason such as price difference, having PS Store credit or difference in features like Diablo having local co-op on consoles only. Playing a graphically demanding PC game on PS5 because of a fucking launcher is a betrayal to the very nature of PC gaming in favor of fanaticism.

Fabieter

I only ever boot up the Epic launcher to claim the free games. Have never actually bought anything. The launcher seemed fine for me (probably because I almost never have it running)

For the benefit of myself and other unaware, what issues are there specifically with the Epic launcher?

It lacks features but the launcher itself is stable.

Fabieter

Translation: "I have a small epenis that cannot handle this game."

No PC gamer with any appreciation of tech would chose a PS5 version of a game over the PC version unless there was a good reason such as price difference, having PS Store credit or difference in features like Diablo having local co-op on consoles only. Playing a graphically demanding PC game on PS5 because of a fucking launcher is a betrayal to the very nature of PC gaming in favor of fanaticism.

Actually having any launcher including steam is against the nature of pc gaming. I prefered physical pc gaming alot over shit launcher situation again including steam. And most people were like me hated steam at first but they accepted the evil in the end.

KWAB

Banned
Epic publishing deal was definitely great for developers, unfortunately for them I think it's over already because they have announced nothing else after 2020.

Goalus

Of all the game devs, Remedy deserve to be independent, free to create and not publisher-tied the most. Hell, I'd even install their own launcher/store if all the money goes to them.

Alan Wake 2 is a masterpiece, but no thanks to Epic's money. The PC exclusivity deal is an anticonsumer move. I'm not giving them money on PC untill the game available on any other store.
There are way more games that are Steam-exclusive on PC. I am not giving their developers money until they are available on any other store, either.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Even I as a certified Epic launcher hater bought the game in the EGS.. I mean, having a baseline of principles is ok, but at the end of the day it's just a fucking videogame. It's not an L to be rational.

darrylgorn

I've watched some streams and thought it was OK. Gman's review was pretty spot on. I'm not keen on the slow pace, walking simulator type.

Red5

They are priced the same on Epic due to Steam using a Most Favored Nation clause in their contract to prevent devs from selling the games cheaper on other platforms.
There is currently an anti trust trial going on against Valve for this practice.

Nope, the clause only applies to the resale of Steam keys not the game itself. You can sell your game cheaper on another platform but can't resell a Steam key that unlocks the game on Steam for cheaper on another store. So Pricing on EGS shouldn't be affected by Steam.

And even then stores like GreenManGaming sell actual Steam keys cheaper than on Steam itself all the time. Typical Tim Sweeney blame it on Valve bullshit.

They have done more for devs since the launch of EGS than Valve ever did since the launch of Steam. Yeah yeah I know, who cares about devs!

You're right I don't give a lick about devs, I care about me the consumer my hard earned money. And as if you care about the devs, that's a bog standard EGS white knight talking point.

Killer8

Of all the game devs, Remedy deserve to be independent, free to create and not publisher-tied the most. Hell, I'd even install their own launcher/store if all the money goes to them.

Alan Wake 2 is a masterpiece, but no thanks to Epic's money. The PC exclusivity deal is an anticonsumer move. I'm not giving them money on PC untill the game available on any other store.

Is a developer really independent if they have to take Chinese money handouts to survive in exchange for storefront exclusivity? It's great that Remedy found the solution to finally make the Alan Wake II they wanted, and it couldn't have been done without Epic, but i'd say financial independence is almost as important as creative independence. In the long term, the lack of the former can lead to a lack of the latter if these smaller 'independent' studios become increasingly beholden to (and maybe eventually purchased outright by) mega publishers.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Incredible that people get in this much of a state over clicking a different launcher and bang on about "muh ethics" when it comes down to big corpos. Epic couldnt give a shit that you are "keeping your integrity" while they roll around in their fortnite money.
All your doing is hurting Remedy by denying them sales.
This also applies to the "no physical no buy" manbabies, what a pointless thing to give a shit about.
The same can be said about those triggered when somebody says they're not buying on Epic and start throwing insults. Why would anybody even care where others spend their money? People should be worried about their own financials methinks.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
If you're skipping this game on PC because it's not on Steam, I'm sorry to report but you're absolutely retarded.
Thank you. I’ll never understand this begging for a Steam monopoly.

If having to deal with Epics launcher is the price I have to pay for this game to exist…so be it! The launcher isn’t that bad. I find it less intrusive than Uplay or EA Play.

Kaleinc

Banned
There are way more games that are Steam-exclusive on PC. I am not giving their developers money until they are available on any other store, either.
The difference is no one stops devs from releasing on other stores, while Timmy does cock block releases on steam with his tiny cock.
Ain't nobody got time for 20+ launchers for every shitty game

Goalus

The difference is no one stops devs from releasing on other stores, while Timmy does cock block releases on steam with his tiny cock.
Ain't nobody got time for 20+ launchers for every shitty game
I don't care what the reason is. The fact is these games are Steam-exclusive which is an anti-consumer move. If I think about it, this situation is even more anti-consumer than the Epic deals because these games could be offered elsewhere, but aren't.

Last edited:

drotahorror

I don't care what the reason is. The fact is these games are Steam-exclusive which is an anti-consumer move. If I think about it, this situation is even more anti-consumer than the Epic deals because these games could be offered elsewhere, but aren't.
You're more autistic than my son. And that's saying something.

Last edited:

ScHlAuChi

Nope, the clause only applies to the resale of Steam keys not the game itself. You can sell your game cheaper on another platform but can't resell a Steam key that unlocks the game on Steam for cheaper on another store. So Pricing on EGS shouldn't be affected by Steam.
And even then stores like GreenManGaming sell actual Steam keys cheaper than on Steam itself all the time. Typical Tim Sweeney blame it on Valve bullshit.
Yes, Valve does claim that - but it isnt part of an enforceable contract!
A Mafia boss can tell you that they wont burn down your store if you pay, but at the end of the day you have no guarantee!
Why Isnt Valve just changing their contracts to include what they say they dont enforce?
The court sees that the same way, which is why the anti trust case is continuing:

You're right I don't give a lick about devs, I care about me the consumer my hard earned money.
Ok so just so I get this right, you dont give a lick about the people who make the games you want to enjoy?
And it is only YOUR hard earned money because obviously devs dont work hard and dont deserve money, unlike you?
How would you react if another company came along and took 30% of your income away in return for doing nothing?
Would you just accept that? No? But devs should? Because YOU say so?

And as if you care about the devs, that's a bog standard EGS white knight talking point.
I`m not surprised at all by your answers, in my 20+ years I have been in game development, the most toxic, egoisitic and outright idiotic users to deal with are Steam and Apple fanboys.
Both display completely irrational behavior similar to cults where anyone who disagrees with them is the witch that needs to be burned. Logic and facts dont matter, the cult needs to be protected!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The only games that are exclusive to steam are because devs wish so.
The only games that are epic exclusive is because epic want so.

Choice vs no choice

Red5

Of all the conclusions you could've made you chose the stupidest conclusion one. No one forces games to be Steam exclusive, EGS poaches them into an exclusivity contract.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Epic financed Alan Wake 2. Game wouldn’t exist without their money.

The fact that people actually believe that Remedy could not have been financed or bought by any other company is fucking hilarious. Epic just threw more money at them. Alan Wake 2 would've been made either way. If Sony was financing Remedy, no one would be here bragging about it, but all of a sudden Epic does one good thing and its like the second coming of Jesus. Fucking hell. Remedy aint no fucking saints, they make good games but they ALWAYS have been accepting any shitty deal where more money is there to be made, lets not kid ourselves. Quantum Break was a flop and was an MS store exclusive because they took MS money. Control was also a flop until it released on Steam. Their shitty excuse that, "oh well we dont care about sales" is just an excuse, because they already got payed for all their development effort + extra for store exclusivity. Same with Alan Wake 2, except in this case, Epic decided to support them more. Store exclusivity deals are scummy and anyone supporting it is a dumbass. Making good games does not excuse shitty deals. PC should be an open platform. Support Remedy and allow them to sell their games on any store is what AN ACTUAL GOOD company would do. Epic aint it.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Iam going pc next year. Why do pc gamers hate epic so mutch ?
If you don't play on pc, you won't find anything wrong with it. It lacks a couple features compared to steam, but nothing to lose your mind over; in the end you're playing a game and not the launcher.
The real reason the steam zealots cry every time like little bitches, is because of the giant sunk cost they have with steam; they simply want everything in the one place they've "invested" in, and it wouldn't matter one bit if another launcher had feature parity, or more, than steam.

Goalus

The only games that are exclusive to steam are because devs wish so.
The only games that are epic exclusive is because epic want so.

Choice vs no choice
No choice vs. no choice for me as the consumer.
I would get banned if I could say what I want to say to your dumb ass.
Send me a private message. I have a thick skin and won't report you, promised. I won't necessarily reply though.
Of all the conclusions you could've made you chose the stupidest conclusion one. No one forces games to be Steam exclusive, EGS poaches them into an exclusivity contract.
It makes no difference for me as the consumer. The result for me is that a lot of games are Steam-exclusive.

Red5

Yes, Valve does claim that - but it isnt part of an enforceable contract!
A Mafia boss can tell you that they wont burn down your store if you pay, but at the end of the day you have no guarantee!
Why Isnt Valve just changing their contracts to include what they say they dont enforce?
The court sees that the same way, which is why the anti trust case is continuing:

Oh please an anti trust case at first from a bunch of failed devs than never released a good game to their name lashing out against Steam for their failures, a case that was thrown out and laughed out of court by the judge so bad they had to tone down their claim in order for it to even go through. Much like the EGS vs Apple suit which backfired hard on Timmy Tencent.
Ok so just so I get this right, you dont give a lick about the people who make the games you want to enjoy?
And it is only YOUR hard earned money because obviously devs dont work hard and dont deserve money, unlike you?
How would you react if another company came along and took 30% of your income away in return for doing nothing?
Would you just accept that? No? But devs should? Because YOU say so?

Valve does nothing? You think offering the largest PC market place for video games is nothing? You think they built that shit by themselves so they can give it to you for free? Are you owed free services by Valve, an independent company? Do you think they're the Mercy Corps or something?

And yeah, I don't care about game developers, it's not a family relationship, it's a business one, they present a product, I give money in exchange for it working, done.

I`m not surprised at all by your answers, in my 20+ years I have been in game development, the most toxic, egoisitic and outright idiotic users to deal with are Steam and Apple fanboys.
Both display completely irrational behavior similar to cults where anyone who disagrees with them is the witch that needs to be burned. Logic and facts dont matter, the cult needs to be protected!

Cool, I don't owe you anything more than the money you ask for the product you make, and if you choose to put that product exclusively on EGS I don't really care to purchase it.

It makes no difference for me as the consumer. The result for me is that a lot of games are Steam-exclusive.

So if a dev doesn't want to release on EGS it's automatically Valve's fault? The fuck kind of retarded logic is that?

Last edited:

drotahorror

No choice vs. no choice for me as the consumer.

Send me a private message. I have a thick skin and won't report you, promised. I won't necessarily reply though.

I really dont give a shit about you to send you a private message you moron.

ScHlAuChi

Yes that is competition!
You have a manufacturer of a good, in this case a game developer.
You have stores that want to sell said product - Steam and EGS - so those stores can offer the manufacturer money.
The manufacturer picks the store that offers them more money!

So the real question is - why isnt Valve with their infinite resources just offering more money for the product than EGS?
The answer is simple - they dont have to becasue they know they own the market and will win in the end anyway.

Epic is just another company trying to win with money. Buying exclusivity, not offering cd keys for resellers and so on. Steam is more open, offers more options to buy games.
You do realize that you live in a capitalistic system right?
So here´s some news for you: ALL companies try to win with money!
Some even try to win by using illegal tactics - in this case - Valve!

Epic just created war where there was none. They won’t try to win with services because steam is hard to beat. Consumers don’t need another launcher
A war???? Another icon on your windows desktop declared war? Did it try to murder your Steam icon?
Epic cant win with services, even if they matched Valve 100% you woulndt switch cause you already have all your games on Steam!

ScHlAuChi

Oh please an anti trust case at first from a bunch of failed devs than never released a good game to their name lashing out against Steam for their failures, a case that was thrown out and laughed out of court by the judge so bad they had to tone down their claim in order for it to even go through. Much like the EGS vs Apple suit which backfired hard on Timmy Tencent.
Hear hear, Red5 the anti trust laywer has spoken! Valve is innocent - you heard the news here first folks!
Epic may have lost the battle against Apple in the US courts - but won the war - look up EU´s DSA and DMA, Apple cant escape that!

Valve does nothing? You think offering the largest PC market place for video games is nothing? You think they built that shit by themselves so they can give it to you for free? Are you owed free services by Valve, an independent company? Do you think they're the Mercy Corps or something?
Yes they do nothing and 94% of game developers agree with that!
Dont bother to answer - I already know the answer - they are wrong and you are right!

And yeah, I don't care about game developers, it's not a family relationship, it's a business one, they present a product, I give money in exchange for it working, done.
And yet you are surprised and annoyed when game devs to the same thing for business reasons!

Cool, I don't owe you anything more than the money you ask for the product you make, and if you choose to put that product exclusively on EGS I don't really care to purchase it.
We know, you would rather steal games than giving China and Timmy Tencent money!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yes that is competition!
You have a manufacturer of a good, in this case a game developer.
You have stores that want to sell said product - Steam and EGS - so those stores can offer the manufacturer money.
The manufacturer picks the store that offers them more money!

So the real question is - why isnt Valve with their infinite resources just offering more money for the product than EGS?
The answer is simple - they dont have to becasue they know they own the market and will win in the end anyway.

You do realize that you live in a capitalistic system right?
So here´s some news for you: ALL companies try to win with money!
Some even try to win by using illegal tactics - in this case - Valve!

A war???? Another icon on your windows desktop declared war? Did it try to murder your Steam icon?
Epic cant win with services, even if they matched Valve 100% you woulndt switch cause you already have all your games on Steam!
I don’t know what’s so hard to understand.
steam doesn’t ask devs not to put games on epic.
Epic forbids devs to put games on steam and pays them not to do so.

If you were a normal steam user, epic existence hurts you because you need to use another launcher.

real competition is on key resellers. Not launchers.

Red5

Yes they do nothing and 94% of game developers agree with that!
Dont bother to answer - I already know the answer - they are wrong and you are right!
And yet you barely stand a chance of being successful on PC without them, unless you get moneybagged by EGS, so they must have something valuable to offer.

And yet you are surprised and annoyed when game devs to the same thing for business reasons!

Neither, I just don't buy the game, it ain't personal.

We know, you would rather steal games than giving China and Timmy Tencent money!

I have over 300 games on Steam half untouched, I don't have the free time to finish them let alone pirate games to add to my backlog. If it's exclusive to EGS it's off my radar, funny enough I have plenty of games on Origin, Uplay, B.net and GOG.

Last edited:

Larxia

If you were a normal steam user, epic existence hurts you because you need to use another launcher.

He's just going to quote the "epic existence hurts you because you need to use another launcher." part and saying "so you only play for the launcher? boo ooh I'm hurt", while ignoring the other points you mentionned.
It's going over and over in a loop. People defending epic claim that the launcher doesn't matter, but it does matter for them in a positive way when it's epic...

Like you said, I don't know what's so hard to understand. One company doesn't block the market, it's just publishers who prefer to go there because it's more popular, while the other company try to buy everything and block the market and competition by having everything locked to their launcher. But somehow, they manage to twist that in a positive way.

ScHlAuChi

I dont know whats to hard to understand either...
Steam doesnt have to ask devs to do that becasue they own over 70% of the market!
They are the market!

Epic does not forbid that - Developers choose to do it in exchange for more money!
There is tons of games that releases on Steam, EGS, consoles at the same time.

Does it? I have been using both Steam and EGS since they first released and I never hard a problem with that.
I click on the launcher icon, I click on the game, I play game!

And yet, thats what Steam Fanboys seem to hate most, other launchers!
As Lord Gaben once said: Thou shalt have no other launchers before me!

Larxia

Steam doesnt have to ask devs to do that becasue they own over 70% of the market!
They are the market!
Maybe because they provide a good service / experience unlike Epic?

If epic had an amazing platform with ton of great features, maybe people would be interested to go there. What they do is the opposite, they aren't interested in making their launcher better, they just want to force people to go there by making it the only option to play certain games, instead of providing a better experience to attract people. It's weird to me to not understand how this does not benefit the consumer.

If epic won using this method, the only thing it would do is lowering the overall quality of gaming on PC, because they aren't trying to make it better, they are trying to make it the bare minimum and the only option. What they do would just level down the overall quality of PC launchers if everyone aligned with them.

Top Bottom