• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Resident Evil Village: The Digital Foundry Tech Review + PS5, Xbox Series X|S Analysis!

JGPhzS3.jpg

People have to learn to pay attention that the sequences aren't synchronized.
In this case the monster is the thing that makes the frames drop and it already passed on the SeX footage while it's passing on the PS5 footage.

You literally cherry pick one second before Riky's image snapshot.

That entire scene has Xbox with a better frame rate almost the entire time.

Yes, but the difference isn't that large like the curated images may try to make people believe.

For everything I understood till now the RT advantage the SeX have should be more visible with high framerate games where the extra RT power can push the averages higher. But the lows should be very similar as we are seeing.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
As have all the comparisons so far since launch (barring maybe Hitman 3), but that didnt stop 20 page threads full of bollocks.
You have to take the losses as well as the 'wins'.
I'd like to know when I ever claimed in my posts ps5 win or series X lose in whatever comparison. Maybe it's happened a single time but I can't avoid to laugh in the face to the people who continues to persist when such thing happened with such ridiculous difference, so sorry no I'm not considered that a lose 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Stuart360

Its interesting how a lot of the video shows the graph lines looking similar, just PS5 lower, but in this scene the PS5 drops frames, while the XSX frames actually go up. I wonder what it is with that bit thats causing that.
Do you know which part of the vid that is?

Fredrik

Dude...both are extremely close. All these chats about you no console war and another one for a better performance who barely someone can perceive?
Chill. Did you miss the gif I quoted and everything else in my post? 😉
It is what it is, a DF thread. Downplaying differences when the norm is looking more at fps graphs and 400% zoomed still pics than the game seems odd. But for me framerate is king, which means PC>XSX>PS5.

As have all the comparisons so far since launch (barring maybe Hitman 3), but that didnt stop 20 page threads full of bollocks.
You have to take the losses as well as the 'wins'.
Yes, it's not a problem to recognize that Xbox Series X has some advantage in RE Engine. DMC 5 SE showed, RE Village shows too. Other game engines could show more or less advantage.

If this game had uncapped fps, maybe Xbox could show up to 10% in all gameplay, maybe worst case 60fps on PS5 and 67fps on XSX in exatcly same frame.

My guess is, we should see this difference in a push-hard next-gen game design, maybe RE 4 Remake. XSX fighting to sustain 60fps, and PS5 at 55, 56fps or bit more most of the time.

In my point of view, in this moment they're virtually identical. In future it's possible to see some consistent difference. Not hight, but maybe noticeable.

Last edited:
I wonder why this is the "most important thing" :pie_thinking: ...

The load times aren't the end of the world tbh; I'm thinking Capcom aren't leveraging DirectStorage API (let alone SFS) on the Series platforms here, but they might be tapping into Sony's SSD I/O stack more directly. Considering the marketing partnership, I would be surprised if Sony did not provide them the assistance there as needed.
This is the most important thing because its feels novel and nextgen?

assurdum

Banned
Chill. Did you miss the gif I quoted and everything else in my post? 😉
It is what it is, a DF thread. Downplaying differences when the norm is looking more at fps graphs and 400% zoomed still pics than the game seems odd. But for me framerate is king, which means PC>XSX>PS5.
I chill but you are a bit hypocrite with all respect. I doubt it's that easy to perceive such difference in performance maybe just in some spot but let's not pretend to say it's not trivial.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Its interesting how a lot of the video shows the graph lines looking similar, just PS5 lower, but in this scene the PS5 drops frames, while the XSX frames actually go up. I wonder what it is with that bit thats causing that.
The video and graph line is not synced.
There is a gap between them... when the framerate drop on Series X it will drop frames late on PS5... Series X render is being ahead.

Last edited:

Gravemind

Both systems perform very well under the circumstances, and both systems succeed in the strengths that most rational people expected given their respective system designs.

Yet we still have retards arguing back and forth at who takes the "W". Just enjoy the fact that your preferred piece of plastic is a good piece of plastic and stop embarrassing yourselves.

Last edited:

yamaci17

Some settings on consoles should be lower than on the PC.
One thing that I noticed when I had looked this benchmark is that he used the 5800X and that thing has 32MB of L3. The consoles like the mobile APUs have just 8MB.
Well, that 4K benchmark on PC is done with native 4K.

PS5 and SX runs checkerboarded 4K.

Jesus, how many times do I need to repeat this, I wonder. It is literally told so in the video.

Or you people really assume they forced checkerboarding in PC? Well no. It has a toggle called interlaced/native. Interlaced being checkerboard.

Enable checkerboard with 6700xt and voila, you have 60+ FPS all of a sudden. Simple as that.

BTW it is impossible to reach conclusions such as Xbox being bad in frametime in that particular scene. Jeez, these are dynamic workloads that can randomly and erratically change everytime you run.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It's literally in the video?

58 FPS vs 49 FPS.

Note the "up to", it's not always that far ahead.

It's 58 vs 49 because they're not synchronized.

It's easy to tell when people are being disingenuous. lol

Synchronized scene
IEbgPZa.png

The scene drops to 48 when the monster appears in front of the screen on both consoles.
fTtuCDu.png
5NGqSN3.png

They stated that the alpha effects are causing to drop on both consoles and that means.

This not to say that Xbox doesn't have the advantage, but it's not nearly as big as you're trying to make it out to be and its within 10% as it suggests from the data we have seen.

So long story short:

-Visuals are identical
-XsX and PS5 hold 60fps 99.9 percent of the time with RT off
- with RT on, both consoles have dips. XsX has 10 percent better performance over PS5 in this mode
- PS5 doesn’t have load screens, loads in 1.9 seconds. XsX has load screen, loads in 8 seconds
- with RT on, both consoles have dips in some moments. XsX has up to 10 percent better performance over PS5 in these moments.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Synchronized scene
IEbgPZa.png

The scene drops to 48 when the monster appears in front of the screen on both consoles.
fTtuCDu.png
5NGqSN3.png

They stated that the alpha effects are causing to drop on both consoles and that means.

This not to say that Xbox doesn't have the advantage, but it's not nearly as big as you're trying to make it out to be and its within 10% as it suggests from the data we have seen.
Maybe you should do some more image snapshots if you let the video run for a few more seconds as you stopped right when the gap in the line graphs is getting bigger for Xbox.

For those of you who dont want to looked at cherry picked pics, start watching the video at 15:07 when DF compares the two systems for a 30 second stretch.

Fan warriors are purposely picking one second here or there at that exact second that fits their narrative.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
This DF analysis seems to align with what VG Tech found in his demo analysis. He found that XsX has the slight performance advantage with RT on
They don't give the idea of the average of the performance and talking of small but noticeable advantage which is not vgtech stats showed. Quite vague and imprecise as always. Hearing them the difference seems wider than what VGTECH reported from the demo. Let's see if it's really the case.

Last edited:
This DF analysis seems to align with what VG Tech found in his demo analysis. He found that XsX has the slight performance advantage with RT on

Sure, but he means.. you play 10 hours, and some moments you have fps drops down to 45fps on PS5 and 48fps on Xbox Series X.

You saw the entire average frame-rate, and it's 59.7 fps to Xbox against 59.6 to PS5.

Ok, this test is important to show and it's noticeable. But in real gameplay.. it's virtually the same.

ethomaz

Banned
Maybe you should do some more image snapshots if you let the video run for a few more seconds as you stopped right when the gap in the line graphs is getting bigger for Xbox.

For those of you who dont want to looked at cherry picked pics, start watching the video at 15:07 when DF compares the two systems for a 30 second stretch.

Fan warriors are purposely picking one second here or there at that exact second that fits their narrative.

Just focus in get the synced scenes framerate... you will see the truth.
Loot at one scene and save the framerate after find the same scene in the other side and compare both framerates numbers.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

The lake scene, it's the most taxing part of the game.

assurdum

Banned
The hell are you trying to argue? There is an enormous difference between a couple of shots here and there unsynchronized and the data provide by VGtech. Don t be asinine. Some of you take DF as the holy bible lol. Hearing them the last COD ran worse on ps5 because 36 CUs when was a bug which caused the drops, just to give an example how superficial can be sometime.

Last edited:

yamaci17

Some settings on consoles should be lower than on the PC.
One thing that I noticed when I had looked this benchmark is that he used the 5800X and that thing has 32MB of L3. The consoles like the mobile APUs have just 8MB.
Console CPU does not need huge L3 cache. It literally seeps from sweet 446 GB/s bandwidth (336 GB/s for Xbox, no idea about Series S)

Any frome drop you see is probably GPU bound.

Last edited:
This is the most important thing because its feels novel and nextgen?
So you've never used an SSD until 2021? Damn, you've been deprived.

Seriously though, it's great on both systems and the QoL benefits with fast loading are appreciated but there's people using the results there to infer things related to platform features/stability/capabilities which they really don't know much of anything about.

Even if things were reversed in load time results it wouldn't be "the most important thing" IMHO; load times aren't gameplay.

Console CPU does not need huge L3 cache. It literally seeps from sweet 446 GB/s bandwidth (336 GB/s for Xbox, no idea about Series S)

It's 56 GB/s for Series S; one GDDR6 2 GB module out of the five is reserved for CPU and audio. 224 GB/s / 5 = 56 GB/s per 2 GB module.

Synchronized scene
IEbgPZa.png

fTtuCDu.png
5NGqSN3.png

Ah yes, we shall trust your years of expertise in game performance analysis over a reputable source that has had both Microsoft and Sony engineers come on multiple times to discuss their technological features, techniques etc.

Oh wait...

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just focus in get the synced scenes framerate... you will see the truth.
Loot at one scene and save the framerate after find the same scene in the other side and compare both framerates numbers.
And in that 30 second stretch, Xbox's frame rate is higher than PS5 almost the entire time anyway. So doesn't even matter if the frames are synced properly or 1 frame too early or late.

This thread might the first one ever I've seen where it's now to got to claiming a DF video isn't synced properly so the frames analysis is wrong.

And in that 30 second stretch, Xbox's frame rate is higher than PS5 almost the entire time anyway. So doesn't even matter if the frames are synced properly or 1 frame too early or late.

This thread might the first one ever I've seen where it's now to got to claiming a DF video isn't synced properly so the frames analysis is wrong.

No one was arguing otherwise silly

The argument stemmed from one guy claiming an upto 18% advantage and referncing the 58/49 scenes. People corrected him

That's it.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Loading is so lame. Sometimes I don't realize how annoying something is until it's finally on it's way out. Good riddance. All that time wasted in front of a loading screen. I hope I was thinking useful thoughts.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

The only people cherry picking are the few xbox guys in this thread and of course you say nothing about it.

Based on testing this scene though, the performance differential between the two systems is roughly equivalent to what Richard noted in the demo preview. So basically both versions generally well with RT but Xbox still has the advantage in the heavier sequences such as this lake battle.

This is scene is not synchronized. They said its dipping due to a lot of effects, so look at what's happening on the left when building crashes into the water.
hmTnmiK.png

Now on the right. Similar, but more effects on the splash and it drops to 47fps.

53fps vs 47fps on a somewhat identical scene. That is still within 10%.
KVTkG5L.png

If you see nothing wrong with 58 vs 47, then you're clearly being bias. lol

The PS5 is objectively the better console to play this game on. You're trading maybe a minute of ~5 fewer FPS versus no load times for your entire playthrough.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Ah yes, we shall trust your years of expertise in game performance analysis over a reputable source that has had both Microsoft and Sony engineers come on multiple times to discuss their technological features, techniques etc.

Oh wait...
I quoted what they were saying. They said it's within 10% performance.

Oh wait, you didn't pay attention. You tried and failed to point out the flaws in my post, but had nothing to say about the 58 vs 48 post?

Maybe you should've taken the time to understand what was going on before replying.

yamaci17

I don't know but I'm having a histerical laughter while reading through the posts. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

None of these will matter, both PS5 and XSX players will enjoy the game the same. Literally the same. There's no distinctive differences between them. You might maybe argue that DS5 has adaptive triggers and that's about it XD

Stuart360

The PS5 is objectively the better console to play this game on. You're trading maybe a minute of ~5 fewer FPS versus no load times for your entire playthrough.
Give over, its 2 secs vs 8, not 20secs vs 80secs. Plus there is hardly any loading in the game itself, just the start when you load in from the title screen.

Zathalus

Apparently nobody knows what the words "up to" mean anymore. The two scenes are clearly in sync, anyone can take a look at the provided video and screenshot.

Maybe you should've taken the time to understand what was going on before replying.

You should listen to your own advice for a change.

Thanks for covering Moose.

That's exactly it. We knew where performance was but didn't have any comparison for load times. So I feel this is the most important thing from this new comparison.

Apologies, then. Sadly, these kind of threads have a tendency of drawing warriors out to play. To a point I just kind of preemptively look for any tribal signals.

Sometimes that's a false positive though like in this instance, so apologies.

This is a subjective argument though and hinges on what the user wants out of their experience. Believe it or not a lot of people don't see brief load times every now and then the end of the world or intrusive, but might see FPS drops as very intrusive. For others, it's the inverse.

It's an interesting proposition for speedrunners but that will also hinge on if there aren't patches which improve load times on Series X in particular, as that is a possibility. So for speedrunners at the moment, PS5 and Series X are equally viable options for aforementioned reasons. Casuals won't care, at least not until the game gets VR support (and even then, that is a very small fraction of the casual audience who will care too much given past ratio of adoption).

Maybe the developers are struggling with the XSXs I/O? From what I've read about Sonys it seems like the most simple one to use.

Some features on Microsoft's side like DirectStorage and SFS are still not really available, therefore aren't being leveraged by games on the platform.

Also since Sony have marketing rights with RE Village, they probably extended resources to Capcom in terms of SSD I/O assistance, likely similar help and assistance to whatever's been provided to partners like Bluepoint and devs like Insomniac.

Last edited:
Top Bottom