• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Baldur's Gate 3 - Xbox Series X|S + PS5 Patched Performance - DF Tech Review

Josemayuste

Edit: I have seen more examples and everything I see seems that on PS5 the water is seen with the equivalent of lower settings:

Captura-de-pantalla-2023-12-16-165927.png

Captura-de-pantalla-2023-12-16-165939.png

The water doesn't look like that on PS5, I've just checked that same area and I think that might be a bug on DF's part, PS5 water settings look the same as that screenshot on PC.

Neither do shadows look missplaced or any kind of that stuff that DF's video shows..

Last edited:

Vergil1992

That capture is not from DF.

The one from DF is this:

Captura-de-pantalla-2023-12-16-164944.png

It is the one they use as an example. The first is from elanalistadebits. Reliability of this YouTuber aside, it is also fair to say that things may have changed since the launch.

In any case, I think a lot of importance is being given to something that will surely receive patches and things will change. Although I always find these debates entertaining.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I think I’ll wait for a sale. Performance on both consoles doesn’t quite seem good enough to warrant the high price tag. Maybe there will be a GotY Edition next year that comes with DLC.

Tripolygon

Banned
That capture is not from DF.

The one from DF is this:

It is the one they use as an example. The first is from elanalistadebits. Reliability of this YouTuber aside, it is also fair to say that things may have changed since the launch.

In any case, I think a lot of importance is being given to something that will surely receive patches and things will change. Although I always find these debates entertaining.
They are both the same setting. The only difference between both consoles in terms of setting is AF. PS5 post patch changed the water appearance from launch but the detail is the same.

SKYF@ll

The launch version of PS5 had high graphics settings.
Optimizations to the XSS version also brought performance improvements to PS5 and PC.
On the other hand, the XSX version still needs some improvements despite the extra 3 months.
Currently, PS5 is the best console version in terms of image quality and frame rate, but stay tuned for future updates.
15iaKBM.jpg

Vergil1992

They are both the same setting. The only difference between both consoles in terms of setting is AF. PS5 post patch changed the water appearance from launch but the detail is the same.

The changes seen in that video (in the water) are almost anecdotal, they are not very similar to what DF says.

But hey, right now until they fix the AF and the framerate is more consistent, it's a small victory for PS5. It is not a very large margin, but it is the most stable and with the best IQ of the two.

SKYF@ll

"We use native hardware features like primitive shading and mesh shading to then render them on screen." *consoles
"We decided against that at some point, as the technology is fresh and there's a certain challenge in supporting the variety of GPUs and hardware available on PC."
"So for now, we went with the simpler path of fully supporting it first on consoles."

Sorry, I got the wrong thread.

Last edited:

Filben

Anisotropic filtering is lower on Series X
That this is still a thing on consoles is just baffling to me. We have 4k textures with high fidelity now only to be botched and being muddy and blurry as soon as you're looking at it at an angle. With all the power and bandwidth I'd expect this an issue of the past. I was irritated over this in the PS4 era, wheras on PC I've set AF to 16x since I had a Riva TNT2 and it never causes perceivable stutter or FPS drops or VRAM limits.

Lysandros

This is not a difference in AF only, this is straight up lower quality ground texture and lower quality specular highlights. That is too high an angle for AF alone to account for the degradation.
A difference in AF only would look like this specially so close to the screen:
ulXJGcY.jpg

Notice the bottom quarter of the screen, texture quality and sharpness remains identical and that's with AF toggled off, not even a lower AF setting. At this tighter lower angle the AF differences would be much more pronounced than in the BG3 shot.
Indeed, it is quite obvious the difference in textures is beyond just anisotropic filtering.
wXl57WK.jpg

On another note, HUD elements are lower resolution on XSX:
dlLO2RQ.jpg

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Indeed, it is quite obvious the difference in textures is beyond just anisotropic filtering.

Weren't you boycotting DF threads?

At this point i am done, i'll completely disregard his bias tainted work in the future, not anymore views and comments from me. Professional and objective analysis this ain't.

adamsapple

I was going to say he only needed to check this thread but those pics... That mother fucker checked the video!
He's right though.

Eh, DF does touch upon this, anisotropic filtering is a notable issue in flatter camera angles but not so much in isometric.

On Series X I did notice a couple of curious things though, like visibly lower-resolution HUD elements. But when I went to pixel count the image, it came in at very similar figures to the PS5 build - a straight 1440p in quality mode, and 1080p in the performance mode.

The HUD is the same resolution, it's probably a different form of up-scaling (nearest neighbor vs another way)

Mr Moose

Eh, DF does touch upon this, anisotropic filtering is a notable issue in flatter camera angles but not so much in isometric.

On Series X I did notice a couple of curious things though, like visibly lower-resolution HUD elements. But when I went to pixel count the image, it came in at very similar figures to the PS5 build - a straight 1440p in quality mode, and 1080p in the performance mode.

The HUD is the same resolution, it's probably a different form of up-scaling (nearest neighbor vs another way)
Who was it who did the video, was it blind Tom?
dlLO2RQ.gif

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Sure hope they can do better than 1080p on these machines at 60fps, seems like an awful low bar for game of the year in 2023.

King Dazzar

It seems like for centuries now, AF would always be set to x16 on PC as a default and something I would never ever touch. Because it made so little difference to performance, as to be disregarded. I'm surprised to see it lowered at all when trying to optimise for consoles these days. Strange. Maybe it just reflects how poorly optimised some stuff is these days, that they chuck anything and everything at the issue. Fuck knows. Sure seems weird to me though.

adamsapple

The port has three more months of development on Xbox, it will continue to be updated on both (PS5 and SX), but you already know that, if the current result bothers you, it is not my problem, that tone in a simple comparison is unnecessary.

Act 3 still drops to the 20's on all platform, even in your picture the graph is in the mid 20'2 in the first half. Safe to say the game is far from locked on either platform.

Lysandros

Weren't you boycotting DF threads?
"Tom"... This criticism and related decision was obviously directed towards Tom who happens to the analyst of Avatar comparison. The post was clear with no room for misunderstanding. Continue to elevate yourself with such noble attempts though, that is fitting.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I love the thing. Just think about all those 3rd parties that keep having to make UE5 games on it. All that wasted time when they COULD'VE been focusing on all those extra pixels...fps...tflops. YOU poor saps are the ones clutching their pearls.

And R*'s gotta release GTA VI on it, to boot!
Oh You Stop It Kristen Bell GIF

demigod

I love the thing. Just think about all those 3rd parties that keep having to make UE5 games on it. All that wasted time when they COULD'VE been focusing on all those extra pixels...fps...tflops. YOU poor saps are the ones clutching their pearls.

And R*'s gotta release GTA VI on it, to boot!
Enjoy playing it at a sub 1080p resolution!

Top Bottom