• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - DF Tech Review - PS5/Xbox Series X|S Tested

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

One of the most contentious Call of Duty releases of recent times, Modern Warfare 3 - allegedly developed in just 18 months - still manages to deliver the complete package of campaign, ground war, zombies and multiplayer and it's certainly not without merit. In this content, Tom takes a closer look at the complete package and gets to grips with features and performance across the consoles... and it looks like something's up with Xbox Series S.

00:00:00 Introduction
00:03:58 Console Visual Comparisons
00:06:56 Classic vs Remake Map Comparisons
00:10:03 PS5/Xbox Series X 60Hz Frame-Rate Test
00:12:48 PS5/Xbox Series X 120Hz Frame-Rate Test
00:15:38 Xbox Series s 60Hz Frame-Rate Test
00:18:05 Xbox Series s 120Hz Frame-Rate Test
00:19:54 Verdict

Last edited:

Mr Moose

What's with the shitty ghosting? I haven't noticed that in MP. Is it because I have motion blur and other shit off?

adamsapple

- Character model and motion capture quality 'are exceptional'
- Lighting, volumetric all stand out.
- Modern consoles support 60 and 120hz
- Technical make up is more or less the same as last years game.

- Reconstruction w/ TAA used to create 4K result but it can break often.
- First frame after camera cuts can show the lowest native bound (1080p on PS5/SX)
- Series S targets to 1440p and can DRS to 50% of either axis when stressed with numbers in between.
- Holds well for itself, but IQ suffers when compared to PS5/SX. SSR has less exact coverage. Textures/draw distance is the same between PS5/SX. On one specific mission with longer draw distances, Series S uses lower LoD.

- Some comparisons done with the remade maps from original Modern Warfare 3

- Performance 60hz-
- PS5/SX are typically rock solid with small drops to high 50s in certain areas which more or less effect both consoles. PS5 is less prone to hitch during general gameplay.
- Series X can have small hitches when the game auto saves which are not seen on PS5

Performance 120hz-
- Campaign can see performance between 60~120hz in this mode with DRS range from 1080p to 4K
- Game also uses adaptive V-sync so tearing can also be seen.
- VRR supporting displays will benefit greatly in this mode.
- DF's recommended way to play the game.

- Series S;
- 60hz: Campaign drops frames to 40s during stress combat and one chapter saw drops to high 30s
- "Not the focus of optimization for Sledgehammer"
- MP can also see drops to 50s but majority of maps can hold 60
- 120hz: Doesn't usually go past 80 FPS with brief flashes upward
- "Falls very short at 120fps"
- Mode does have some use and VRR will reap benefits but other versions have a much bigger advantage in this mode.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Well it was better in Talos Principle 2 and Alan Wake 2.

Same as it's always been this gen, wins fluctuate between consoles. Other then the occasional bug the wins on both are so minor that nobody should really give a shit.

Per NXGamers video for MW3, the SX version runs 10 to 12% faster in campaign in the 120hz mode and he didn't mention any difference in the 60hz mode.

So the results can also vary on different comparisons in the same game.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Per NXGamers video for MW3, the SX version runs 10 to 12% faster in campaign in the 120hz mode and he didn't mention any difference in the 60hz mode.

Once upon a time. An Xbox fan site went to great lengths to paint NXGamer as a PlayStation biased shill. He doesn't seem to be doing very well these days in fulfilling that alleged role.

Lysandros

Thanks OP. As a last remark regarding XSX version's performance in gameplay, those are regular FPS drops, it think it would be more accurate to call it such rather than 'hitching'.

Lysandros

Xbox can’t take a break these days.
I think XSX is doing quite well actually as evidenced by games such as Alan Wake 2. Sure there are cases where it has more performance problems compatively like Lords of the Fallen but each system being a bit better depending on the game is nothing new in light of past three years as expected from equally capable yet slightly different hardwares. Most of the of the time the versions are virtually identical (Sorry for the double post by the way).

SKYF@ll

Benchmarks probably differ depending on the MAP and the scene where the measurement was performed.
Only the first few hours of any media are used for analysis.
The CPU may be the factor causing the frame rate to drop in this game.
FPS-COMP.jpg

- First frame after camera cuts can show the lowest native bound (1080p on PS5/SX)
- Series S targets to 1440p and can DRS to 50% of either axis when stressed with numbers in between.
Lowest native bound resolution is 720p on XSS.

Series X can have small hitches when the game auto saves which are not seen on PS5
They never talk about auto-saves issues. Looks like typical I/O stutters, here 70ms hitches. Looks like we have a pattern seen in others games, how odd.

Last edited:

Lysandros

Benchmarks probably differ depending on the MAP and the scene where the measurement was performed.
Only the first few hours of any media are used for analysis.
The CPU may be the factor causing the frame rate to drop in this game.
FPS-COMP.jpg
A revelant picture to say the least. The exact same 76 FPS at this moment. Though to be fair "the first mission climax featuring huge drops into 60's on both machines" below the arch (same section) show PS5 dropping to 68 FPS at the lowest point and XSX to 64 FPS.

jNYAnqU.jpg

ytXfv2L.jpg

Variable indeed.

Last edited:

Vergil1992

Doesn't anyone really think that XSX works at a higher resolution?

For example here:

PS5

Captura-de-pantalla-2023-11-22-173253.png

XSX

Captura-de-pantalla-2023-11-22-173237.png

On my PC I play with a 1440p screen and when switching from one image to another I see a difference in sharpness. It's not a huge difference, but in a side-by-side comparison it is noticeable. Maybe it has nothing to do with the resolution. And it's not even at full resolution.

Aside from this, two extremely even versions, with a very slight advantage on PS5, but it seems to be anecdotal from what DF says. In fact, the video only shows that in one area on PS5 it locks at 60fps and on XSX it is at 59fps (it reminds me a lot of AC: Mirage). In another area both drop to the same 50fps.

It's funny that sometimes a COD has an advantage on one platform or another. I think they are from different studios, but the same engine.

It's very strange that according to NX Gamer, Xbox has an advantage at 120fps:

Perhaps something has changed with the patches, or perhaps the areas tested are not the same and do not give the same results. In the NXGamer one in the same areas, XSX seems to have an advantage and they say so in the video:

3.png

4.png

Strange that they contradict each other.

Vergil1992

Once upon a time. An Xbox fan site went to great lengths to paint NXGamer as a PlayStation biased shill. He doesn't seem to be doing very well these days in fulfilling that alleged role.
Yes they say it, in the article:

There are exceptions as always and certain points in the level do drop into the high 50s, if briefly, while Series X also stutters during autosave checkpointing, which PS5 does not.

Lysandros

Of special mention is the dummy in the Eurogamer comments section, who bemoaned:

Probably because it's a current gen machine, you absolute plonker!
I personaly want a special DF coverage comparing my particular PC featuring a RX 570 and Ryzen 1600 AF to PS5, i build it in full confidence it would be in PS5 ballpark based on Tech J. Steve's analysis.

Last edited:

Vergil1992

It is clearly said and shown in the video that PS5 version holds 60 FPS better than XSX in general gameplay OP. XSX autosave hitching is an additional issue. Summary to be updated to reflect this fact please (10:48 onwards).
It seems to me that you are exaggerating a bit, rather what they mean (or what I interpret, and I think the OP does too) is that although most of them work the same, XSX seems slightly more prone to dropping frames and really, in 60fps mode They only show an area where on PS5 it runs at a locked 60fps and on XSX it is having drops to 59fps. What I interpret is that the experience is basically the same, 60fps most of the time, with some similar drops (the example that they put at 50fps in one area), and other isolated areas that lose a few more frames in XSX. But "demonstrate" doesn't show much, just a few seconds of an area where on PS5 it is at 60fps and on XSX at 60fps with a couple of drops to 59fps. I think here we are talking about two almost identical versions, with an extremely slight advantage of PS5.

But this is not the case with Robocop, Alan Wake 2 or even The Talos Princicle, which show a solid difference. Here we are talking about losing 1fps on XSX in areas where PS5 stabilizes at 60fps. It's a ridiculous difference.

What could be annoying is the stuttering.

Elysium44

Banned
Series S can barely maintain 60fps in '120fps' mode? And goes down to 34fps in '60fps' mode? Why not just have a true vsynced 60fps mode, something the original Call of Duty Modern Warfare had on an Xbox 360 in 2007!

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Just give me a fucking 30fps fidelity mode and stop with this 60fps nonsense. Whats the point of 60fps if it going to drop to 30fps and just look uglier than a 30fps mode would?

Complete joke. Give me fidelity mode.

Last edited:
I've been dying to know ...did they use the same trash fsr2 upscaling from 1080p like they used for Vanguard and MW2?

Because I was appalled that mw2 had much worse image quality than mw2019 did despite mw2019 having just as good graphics which also came out on xb1x ..

Zathalus

I've been dying to know ...did they use the same trash fsr2 upscaling from 1080p like they used for Vanguard and MW2?

Because I was appalled that mw2 had much worse image quality than mw2019 did despite mw2019 having just as good graphics which also came out on xb1x ..
I don't think either of the games you mentioned use FSR2 on consoles? Vanguard launched in 2021, FSR2 was only available in 2022.

Top Bottom