• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Resident Evil Village: The Digital Foundry Tech Review + PS5, Xbox Series X|S Analysis!

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
You should listen to your own advice for a change.
Short reply with no counter argument. Looks like you realized your mistake.

BTW, why did you ignore the 58 vs 49 different post, but have something to say whenever someone tries to debunk it?

You don't have to hide your bias, it has been obvious for awhile now.

GHG

Gold Member
Looks like Capcom have made good use of the strengths of both main consoles.

Nice to see them making use of the controller features as well.

Might get this in PS5 at some point on sale, the video from DF looks much better than what I saw on my PC in the demo at max settings.

Fredrik

I chill but you are a bit hypocrite with all respect. I doubt it's that easy to perceive such difference in performance maybe just in some spot but let's not pretend to say it's not trivial.
Again, it’s a DF thread, what are you expecting that people will talk about? Discussing small differences has been the case in every face off since forever. Why are we pretending that 10% difference isn’t enough now? You either watch these videos and accept that we’re looking at differences that normal people wouldn’t notice, only to declare a winner, or you ignore them and play the game instead.

And you should play on PC instead if it bothers you that Xbox has better performance. I only have a 4yo 1080ti and it still looks gorgeous on prioritize graphics preset in 1080p but runs at 144 fps vs 60-ish fps on XSX. With gsync I couldn’t spot a single dip.

Last edited:

MachRc

The hell are you trying to argue? There is an enormous difference between a couple of shots here and there unsynchronized and the data provide by VGtech. Don t be asinine. Some of you take DF as the holy bible lol. Hearing them the last COD ran worse on ps5 because 36 CUs when was a bug which caused the drops, just to give an example how superficial can be sometime.
I apologize. I just havent evAr read online about how DF is inaccurate or vague..
I believe they just present their studies and give takeaways from it.

it seems to me like they are being blamed for how xbox got anotha' one.
like shooting the messenger

I do own a series x, but as I have posted...i will be playing this on PC for the ...um scandalous mods..

Last edited:
The PS5 is objectively the better console to play this game on. You're trading maybe a minute of ~5 fewer FPS versus no load times for your entire playthrough.

Are there load screens other than the initial loading, or is the rest of the game streamlined?

PS5 has the loading advantage, regardless, but one single loading screen (if that’s the case, I’m honestly not sure) isn’t objectively more impactful than a consistent slight performance edge. IMO both are pretty insignificant.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

BTW, why did you ignore the 58 vs 49 different post, but have something to say whenever someone tries to debunk it?

Don' forget there's also a 59 vs 51 spot in favour of Xbox.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This thread man,
Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Sorry if there are posts more important worth responding to with more depth than your stuff, I can't help that 🤷‍♂️

Keep dreaming whatever you want about me, just no weird fetishes, please.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Don' forget there's also a 59 vs 51 spot in favour of Xbox.
That scene drops to 51 on Xbox Series X a second before the PlayStation 5 does.

You can literally see that it, but you're clearly ignoring the fact that they are not playing at the exact same time. It's not difficult to understand.

Better yet, take a screenshot of the scene just so I can prove you wrong.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Take a pic of the scene and show the sync please... they are not synced in the video.
So any time VGTech or DF shows videos going forward where Xbox has higher frames over PS5, you and Dforce are going to claim their videos recordings are out of sync because your message board viewership overrides their analysis?

If you're going to do that every time from now on, you might as well tell all of us on GAF.

ethomaz

Banned
So any time VGTech or DF shows videos going forward where Xbox has higher frames over PS5, you and Dforce are going to claim their videos recordings are out of sync because your message board viewership overrides their analysis?

If you're going to do that every time from now on, you might as well tell all of us on GAF.
You can just show a pic with the video synced lol
That is how comparision works.

You should compared the same scene... not a frame here and other there lol
I'm not using a unsynced pic to create a narrrative.

But it is not the first time Riky Riky does that and is called out about that.

Last edited:

skit_data

Are there load screens other than the initial loading, or is the rest of the game streamlined?

PS5 has the loading advantage, regardless, but one single loading screen (if that’s the case, I’m honestly not sure) isn’t objectively more impactful than a consistent slight performance edge. IMO both are pretty insignificant.
It’s worth to point out the ”consistent slight performance edge” is mostly reduced to stress points. They both hit 60fps more than 99% of the time, at least in the demo according to VGtech. It will be interesting to see VGtechs findings on the full game though to get some perspective on how big the difference is between the two. In this DF comparison, John only measured the times they both dropped and they might be pretty far and few in between.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That scene drops to 51 on Xbox Series X a second before the PlayStation 5 does.

You can literally see that it, but you're clearly ignoring the fact that they are not playing at the exact same time. It's not difficult to understand.

Better yet, take a screenshot of the scene just so I can prove you wrong.
Your syncing claim doesn't even make sense because in that 30 second section, Xbox has a higher frames time for almost the entire part of that section so it doesn't even matter if syncing is spot on or even off by a second. Xbox will be ahead anyway.

So you trying to cherry pick clips showing Xbox and PS5 are the same frames or only 1 second apart is a bogus narrative. You are one of the guys saying syncing is off so it's not good material to use, but then uploads some images saying Xbox and PS5 are at the same frames or off by 1 second so it's not as bad. So make up your mind. DO you want to use the DF video for comparisons or not. lol

No matter how much you try to make Xbox and PS5 the same frame rate is hilarious.

As I said to people before, just watch the full 30 second clip from the 15:07 mark.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
You can just show a pic with the video synced lol
That is how comparision works.

You should compared the same scene... not a frame here and other there lol
I'm not using a unsynced pic to create a narrrative.

But it is not the first time Riky Riky does that and is called out about that.

Somebody asked where this was so I posted it, I also didn't sync the video, grow up.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Sorry if there are posts more important worth responding to with more depth than your stuff, I can't help that 🤷‍♂️

My point with responding to you was in being dismissive of DF calling them disingenuous, that's another attempt of character defamation and you have a history of that with them. But you always do this despite the fact if certain platform holders or devs felt similar of DF, they would...revoke access privileges and blacklist DF from doing technical coverage on their hardware/games, let alone not bother having devs go discuss their games with them in hour-long episodes?

Those facts work against your illusion; your post simply verified what DF already said but you were triggered enough by the idea of any perf advantage for a certain platform in this area you had to sleuth for frames proving...what they already alluded to in their original wording.

Great going there, truly. :messenger_clapping:

When we had a long discussion before, I pointed out the fact that you had trouble reading and you're having the SAME problem now.

I never said DF disingenuous, I called the POSTER disingenuous for his 58 vs 49 post.

I have a history of that with them? Show me. Let me see quotes because that is a flat out lie. :messenger_tears_of_joy: The ONLY times where I discounted DF was when VG Tech uncovered something different, that was LATER recognized by digital foundry, one point in particular was the call of Duty chase scene.

Do a better job reading.

Chukhopops

The PS5 is objectively the better console to play this game on. You're trading maybe a minute of ~5 fewer FPS versus no load times for your entire playthrough.
I lost sight of the goalposts for 1 minute and now 5 seconds of loading screens are more important than smoother frame rates across the board. Hard times!

cragarmi

So RT mode should have been 1440p and then we would have got a locked 60 in both modes. It's a shame really. I'm not sure the SS would even get 60fps at 1080p, but a cap at 30 would sort this out for them.

I will probably play first run with RT on then turn it off when I get to the lake. Then turn RT off for Mercenaries.

edit-on PS5 btw

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

No one was arguing otherwise silly

The argument stemmed from one guy claiming an upto 18% advantage and referncing the 58/49 scenes. People corrected him

That's it.

That "Guy" was arguing with people saying it was only a 1% difference (I'm not even exaggerating). The point was that Richard said "At best there's a 10% difference" overall with RT enabled, didn't mean that it averaged 1% with 10% at peak.

Minimum framerate/Avg. framerate with RT-ON will be useful data.

Unlike PC that's running the same code on difference hardware for benchmarks, this is completely different code tailored to the hardware. So don't assume that the tools reference is just a meme, it really is a matter of who gets to optimize each console closer to its max before we start seeing any theoretical difference.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
10% performance advantage on rare occasions for XsX but not even a loading screen on PS5 plus better controller and audio. Throw this one to the pile of games better on PS5.

It's actually 439%, not 600%. Or as he writes it %600.

Or 8.47 seconds vs 1.57 seconds.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Your syncing claim doesn't even make sense because in that 30 second section, Xbox has a higher frames time for almost the entire part of that section so it doesn't even matter if syncing is spot on or even off by a second. Xbox will be ahead anyway.

So you trying to cherry pick clips showing Xbox and PS5 are the same frames or only 1 second apart is a bogus narrative.

No matter how much you try to make Xbox and PS5 the same frame rate is hilarious.

As I said to people before, just watch the full 30 second clip from the 15:07 mark.

I watched it several times and I can tell you're either lying or you're missing what's happening.

This is 59 vs 51 that you're talking about.
Rb2dycJ.png

DF states in their video that it dips hard when alpha particle effects appear on screen. This happens EXACTLY before.

It drops to 52 with the effects on screen.
W7x3waw.png

After it appears, the frame starts to go up by 2 frames per second.

You can tell its one second late as shown when the monster appears. The PS5 is behind. This means you have to compare dips WHEN it actually appears.
iX88xzf.png

MistBreeze

actually great job of both consoles

they are identically the same for naked eye

same picture quality - 99 percent 60 fps in RT mode with xsx up to 10 percent advantage in rare moments

faster loading in ps5 - non existent - and 8 seconds in series x

so basically not a big deal in which system you play

despite that people here are fighting and most of them will not buy this game

good shit

Last edited:
Jesus, how many times do I need to repeat this, I wonder. It is literally told so in the video.

Why do you need to repeat something that I had just say, I wonder.

Console CPU does not need huge L3 cache. It literally seeps from sweet 446 GB/s bandwidth (336 GB/s for Xbox, no idea about Series S)

Any frome drop you see is probably GPU bound.

I thing would be better to have a bit more L3 because this would mean a little less competition for the bandwidth to the GPU.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Maybe learn to read edits to posts instead of sleuthing comments to eagerly make rabid replies.

I asked for proof of those claims and pointed out that you I never said the things you accused me of and now the post is gone. Don't get mad because you replied to me and i'm responding. Maybe you shouldn't lie about what other people are saying or man up and admit that you were wrong.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I watched it several times and I can tell you're either lying or you're missing what's happening.

Rb2dycJ.png

DF states in their video that it dips hard when alpha particle effects appear on screen. This happens EXACTLY before.

W7x3waw.png

You can tell its one second late as shown when the monster appears. The PS5 is behind. This means you have to compare dips WHEN it actually appears.
iX88xzf.png
You got a lot more image snapshots to explain as that section is 30 seconds long and Xbox is higher almost the entre time. And going by your snapshots, it even confirms it during that part of the chart.

You got a lot more work to do to try making Xbox and PS5 the same frame rate as possible then a couple of cherry picked images.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
You got a lot more image snapshots to explain as that section is 30 seconds long and Xbox is higher almost the entre time. And going by your snapshots, it even confirms it during that part of the chart.

You got a lot more work to do to try making Xbox and PS5 the same frame rate as possible then a couple of cherry picked images.
You're the one cherry picking.

I never said it was the same, I said XB has the advantage, but you're trying to make it bigger than it actually is. That's why you're cherry picking the biggest differences when the scenes are not synced.

ethomaz

Banned

Rb2dycJ.png

W7x3waw.png

iX88xzf.png
You are not using like to like frames too.

Yep, 30 second better average frame-rate on Xbox.. up to 10%.

But in the real world, my gameplay is 10+ hours, not 30 seconds.

Xbox is better, 59.79 vs 59.56.

Congratulations.

GwANqd1.jpg
Bu

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You're the one cherry picking.

I never said it was the same, I said XB has the advantage, but you're trying to make it bigger than it actually is. That's why you're cherry picking the biggest differences when the scenes are not synced.
Not cherry picking at all. I'm just going by the DF video.

You are the one trying to claim DF's video is bad due to bad syncing. And you're trying to rework their video with cherry picked snapshots to form your own narrative.

elliot5

Yep, 30 second better average frame-rate on Xbox.. up to 10%.

But in the real world, my gameplay is 10+ hours, not 30 seconds.

Xbox is better, 59.79 vs 59.56.

Congratulations.

Bu
Likewise, in a 10 hour game it's 6.5 seconds difference out of 36000 seconds of gameplay with PS5's faster loading because there's no loading outside of the initial start. Both games run acceptably and the nitpicking is stupid.

Dr Bass

Both games look great and have strengths related to their platform. Awesome!

Get ready for these kinds of differences in multi-platform games everyone. And if it continues like this, it basically doesn't matter where you play it. For all intents and purposes, they are the same.

Last edited:
Likewise, in a 10 hour game it's 6.5 seconds difference out of 36000 seconds of gameplay with PS5's faster loading because there's no loading outside of the initial start. Both games run acceptably and the nitpicking is stupid.
6.5 seconds (or 4.5x faster) in initial loading is irrelevant.

But 4.5x faster in asset streaming on future next-gen games... is very interesting.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
You are not using like to like frames too.

The scenes are not meant to be like for like.

The first picture is what StreetsofBeige referenced when he said 59 vs 51 frame-rate difference.

The second and third pictures are meant to show the dips on the Xbox Series X version right before that part appears. It drops to as low as 48fps and it slowly starts to build up back to 60fps.

The reason for why it showed 59 vs 51 frame-rate difference is because the dropped happened earlier on the XSX version, which proves they're not synced up correctly.

Top Bottom