• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Daggers |OT| DOOMed to fight in hell's arena (90s-inspired eldritch shooter)

OddballShadyCalf.gif

$4.99, PC

http://devildaggers.com/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/422970/
Launch Trailer | Gameplay Teaser

Inspired by 1990s FPS and arcade games, Devil Daggers is a fast-paced shooter that places you in an abyssal arena to face endless legions of demons. Armed with versatile magic daggers and a fluid movement system, fight to survive as long as you can. Compete for precious seconds with Steam Friends or on global leaderboards.Your spirit and skill will be tested.

- Face 13 horrifying enemies.
- Harvest demonic crystals to increase the power of your magic daggers.
- Learn from the world's best or watch friends with the leaderboard replay system.
- Versatile magic daggers, can be used as a shot attack or rapid fire.
- Survive long enough to earn powerful magical homing daggers.
- Fluid movement allows for circle strafing, bunny hopping and dagger jumps.
- Advanced movement techniques allow for speed boosts and double jumps.

I had been interested in the game, but Rock Paper Shotgun's review sold me on it
In case it isn’t clear, I’ll come right out and say that Devil Daggers is a brilliant game. It’s small but perfectly formed, tough but rewarding, and it reminds me of my favourite elements of nineties first-person shooters without mimicking their structure. It’s like the final battle, when every boss you faced through the game’s running time appears in the same room and raises hell.
Killscreen
Rounds can last mere seconds, missteps compounding upon each other until you’ve found yourself knee-deep in the undead, where inscrutable tentacled horrors are eager to feast on the living. Swarms of chattering skulls are belched out of tentacled turret-like floating pillars. Skull-backed spiders the size of a Volkswagen reach out to grab your face, and massive, flying centipedes crafted of bone erupt from the ground once things really heat up.

Oh, and the sound design is AMAZING. Just check out the trailers

tumblr_nyvij6yOWk1ugsx1xo1_500.gif
tumblr_nycvy7JTgr1ugsx1xo1_500.gif

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
What horrific aesthetics await?

Miker

What horrific aesthetics await?

T E N T A C L E B O Y Z

Price seems right, but I'll wait for more impressions.

Nivert

I'll x-post from the indie thread:

Didn't realize this came out today! Only played a very short amount but this game actually creeps me out. The sound design is really eerie. In combination with how frantic the action is it gives me a real rush of adrenaline and panic.

Instantly loving it.

It definitely has that 'one more try' mentality and being able to watch replays on the leaderboard is pretty cool.

Ok I'm in. A pylon baddy recommendation combo is too much to resist
To be fair, it's a simple game. You essentially only have three weapons, you're in a single arena against endless waves of enemies. The challenge comes from honing your skills to last longer and the push to play more, at least for me, is to see what other enemies emerge and see how chaotic battles get.

But controls are tight, shooting feels satisfying, the art design/sound design combine to really create this awesome atmosphere

Of course there does seem to be some depth, as the store page and RPS review mentions. Mastering the more advanced moves of your skill set, learning how each enemies behaves, etc.

Love the visuals. Shame it's just arena.
For a $5 debut release, it's pretty solid. A small shooter with a very tight focus and great atmosphere, sound, and animations/enemy design. I hope the dev expands on this in a future game with levels and more weapons. But for a first release? It's very promising

The reset speed makes this one of the better lizard-brain FPS games out there. High-octane horr-

*dead*

The reset speed makes this on-

*dead*

Buy.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Kinda reminds me of Ziggurat, but simpler/less content.

I wonder how Robotron 2084 would work in first person? Imagine mowing down various enemies while trying to save the humans within the stage? Very fast and very frantic.

epmode

Mine.

edit: There's no mouse invert. I know I'm ridiculous for playing first person shooters inverted but fuck it, my brain is already wired that way.

edit edit: The dev is apparently adding invert in a patch.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I know some hate random comparisons, but I'm instantly reminded of geometry wars. Only demonic and first person. Terrific idea, hope it gets a wider release

Balthuk

Huh when I first saw nothing but the images, I hoped that it would be level based like Doom but arena style doesn't sound so bad. Interested.

This has some really stellar audio design. The increasingly pronounced whining of the upgraded daggers, the loud chimes of the jewel pick-ups, the eerie drone of the flying skulls, and that distorted, crumpled mess of noises that picks up towards the middle of this current highest record replay all coalesce to form something evoking similar sounds of a horror influenced industrial track. The jittery polygons and low res textures are the icing on the cake. It's a real sensory experience that makes me want to get better at it because it's hard as hell from what I've played.

Just getting a glimpse of the shotgun double jump and other strafing maneuvers in gifs is teasing me to start the game up again.

Unicorn

I lasted about 40 seconds. Shit is good. The sound design can't be praised enough.

This is like a ps1 inspired Geometry Wars for Quake fans.

Gosh, this looks gorgeous, and it seems to play nicely, but I'm never too sure about arcade-like, short-session games like these. Not that there's anything wrong with them, or that they aren't worth the price, or anything trivial like that, I just usually get too caught up with bigger games, and never make time for them after an hour of playing them. Not too sure if I'll get it or not, but I'm definitely going to sit on it for a little while. I'm undeniably tempted to grab it.

...it's so pretty, though. Whatever filter they're using over gameplay I feel really compliments not only the low poly count and low res textures, but also the atmosphere.

Ionic

I keep getting around 85. They could've saved on installation file size by not installing any content beyond 100 seconds and I'd never know.

https://gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5aI_0zONY

74s is what I can do for now. Definitely a "one more go" game. Really want to get to the third finger!

Love the replay mode, even better than Mirror's Edge where you can just watch any other player's whole run.

Because I'm a wuss, I wish I was notified when new spawns are coming from so I don't get killed from behind :p

Love the music, reminds me of The Haxan Cloak.
That's the beauty of the sound design. Every enemy type sounds unique, so you're alerted when and from where enemies spawn in due to the sounds they make

That's the beauty of the sound design. Every enemy type sounds unique, so you're alerted when and from where enemies spawn in due to the sounds they make

I need to get better at the tells. It's scary as shit when you hear the horn enemies start getting louder as they're coming around you around the time of the spider enemy showing up.

Top Bottom