• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Daggers - A Lovecraftian rocket-jumping 90s-style arena shooter

K7JxM7w.png

http://devildaggers.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50-OT83O9qY
Coming soon to Steam (PC)

Inspired by classic arcade games and 1990s First Person Shooters. Devil Daggers is a fast-paced shooter that pits you against hordes of demons as you struggle to survive as long as you can. Compete for precious seconds with friends or global leaderboards.

tumblr_nyvij6yOWk1ugsx1xo1_500.gif

W95NSW9.jpg

SlimSpiritedGalapagosdove.gif

Looks interesting enough. It'd be cool if it had a campaign instead of just being a horde mode type thing. Love the graphics and sound design.

People playing fast and loose with the word "Lovecraftian." The sentiment is nice but hope to see some actual stage design from it. Games like this live and die by their level design. If it's just running around in a large void shooting spawning enemies don't think it will hold interest for long.

People playing fast and loose with the word "Lovecraftian." The sentiment is nice but hope to see some actual stage design from it. Games like this live and die by their level design. If it's just running around in a large void shooting spawning enemies don't think it will hold interest for long.

Yeah, it'd be cool if they had some maps that made use of non-Euclidean space and impossible figures.

I adore the visual style.

Same here. I really hope that this kind of gritty, PS1 style of graphics gets more popular. It'll never be as popular as the "retro" 8/16 bit games that are released basically every day since it requires more work and a lot of people think it's ugly.

Came here to say the same. Lovecraftian themes are about avoiding direct exposure to eldritch horrors for fear of madness, not going toe-to-toe with them with powerful magic.

That said, reminds me of Hexen, and could be quite appealing if they work in decent level design.

i really like the look they're going for, but like others have said, hopefully there will be actual levels/arenas. i must have missed the Lovecraft story where the protagonist shot fire energy from his hands at Cthulhu.

Came here to say the same. Lovecraftian themes are about avoiding direct exposure to eldritch horrors for fear of madness, not going toe-to-toe with them with powerful magic.

That said, reminds me of Hexen, and could be quite appealing if they work in decent level design.
Yeah, couldn't think of a better word for the monster design. Probably not the best term to use

epmode

Low resolution, unfiltered textures are pretty great but I really hope that you can choose whichever resolution you want; Those clips are clearly running at an incredibly low resolution.

It's out. Bought it and gave it a few dozen attempts. It's incredibly tough, a run can easily be over in less than 30 seconds.

The audio and aesthetics are absolutely brilliant. You can see everyone's best replays on the leaderboard if you just want the coolest damn screensaver ever.

Top Bottom